Performer of the Week: Cote de Pablo

NCIS Cote De PabloA new feature in which we spotlight the past week’s shining star

THE PERFORMER | Cote de Pablo

THE SHOW | NCIS (CBS)

THE EPISODE | “Shabbat Shalom”

THE AIRDATE | January 8, 2013

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Get Scoop on NCIS‘ Ziva and the Tragic Aftermath

THE PERFORMANCE | Just as Ziva knew that her father, given his long tenure with the Mossad, was living on the razor’s edge, many of us as viewers knew that something was afoot as Eli’s latest visit neared. Nonetheless, just like Ziva, we were shocked and shattered by the what, and the how.

Capping an hour that explored the many colors of this complicated father-daughter relationship — including the NCIS agent’s disappointment to learn that the episode’s murder victim died at his hand — Ziva tried to share Shabbat dinner with him at the Vances’, but had her fill of his words before having one bite of food. As she then stepped outside to cool off, hot bullets came flying at the Vance home. After hunting down the shooter, Ziva raced inside to check on her father, but the look on Tony’s face telegraphed the worst of news. As Ziva set her own eyes upon Eli’s lifeless body, de Pablo’s expression instantly morphed from professional resolve into horror into, as she cradled his head in her arms, the weeping visage of a little girl who’d lost her abba. There was no holding back for de Pablo as the actress let her alter ego’s emotions, and tears, flow, whispering a Hebrew prayer into her late father’s ear. WATCH IT HERE:

Loading video...

RELATED | Tuesday Ratings: NCIS Hits a Season High

HONORABLE MENTION | Once Upon a Time‘s Lana Parrilla, who in the ABC drama’s winter premiere successfully ran the gamut from heartbreaking (as Regina helplessly failed to prove herself to son Henry) to wise-cracking to, in the flashbacks, the most menacing of all.

Which performance knocked your socks off this past week?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Performer of the Week

1. Liz says:

Jonny Lee Miller in Elementary should have been Performer of the Week. Just sayin’

2. cjeffery7 says:

i know it’s grey’s anatomy, and i know you are in a deeply intense love affair with sara ramirez, but JAMES PICKENS JR. FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE!!!

3. Joe says:

Johnnny Lee Miller was incredible this past week…his performance raised the quality of the show to the next level thats why for me, he was the performer of the week.

4. mary says:

Cote deserves Performer of the Week. Four days later, and I still get chills when I remember her reaction upon seeing Eli. The scene with Gibbs in the elevator was also wonderful. She conveyed so many emotions like vulnerability, hopefulness, suspicion, disappointment. She was all around excellent!

5. BWC says:

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Cote’s performance was amazing. She has had some great moments on NCIS but this was the best!

6. Jabo says:

Cote became my favorite actor on NCIS from the first show she was on. She added something that had been missing from the show. However, I did stop watching NCIS for a couple years because Tony’s constant wise cracks just got to be too boring.

7. Pamela says:

truly an amazing actress!!! Love the show!!!

8. Carol H says:

I love NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles as well. They are two of the best shows on TV right now !!! I hope they continue on for many years !!! It was so sad to see Zivas dad killed and Mrs. Vance as well during the last episode !!! I think Cote de Pablo is one of the best actresses and the most prettiest too !!!

9. Edna Rosenberger says:

Wow i think Cote did a fabulous job as Ziva pain showing thru
    I feel she is just good in every episode. Deserves this award.

10. mewofford says:

Well deserved award to Cote de Pablo.
    WELL deserved.

11. Claire says:

So can she also receive the award for the “most congrats” as far as “Performer of the Week” goes … :)

12. rachel says:

I Never cried when someone died on NCIS, not when kate died, not when jenny died not even when my all time favorite guess star died. (I miss you frank), but I cried really hard when ziva’s father died, not because I like eli, but because of cote’s emotion!

BRAVO!

13. Stephanie says:

Congratulations Cote! That was indeed an excellent performance. :)

14. Riki says:

Show runners should definitely submit Cote de Pablo’s performance in “Shabbat Shalom” for the Emmy noms. I know that’s many months away, but what a performance. Wow.

15. Hailey says:

Ziva is my favorite character on NCIS! To be honest, with college getting all up in my face, I had to stop watching NCIS a while back. I missed the last season or two, and I only wanted to watch the last episode because of her. Best choice of my life! I can’t wait to watch next week’s episode… I hope she gets some emmy attention, but ncis never does…

16. Bob Haiskey says:

I thought NCIS hit a home run on Tuesday with Cote’s performance. Too many times they take the comedic way out. I’m really hoping that Michael Weatherly gets to play a supporting mature support system to Cote’s character instead of a weak, support obsessed neurotic character. I would love to see DiNozzo actually give instead of take for one season. I love Michael but the wiriters make him out to be a taker instead of a strong male character like Gibbs who is always there. Just once can we see Tony actually give and be strong. I really think if they do that then MW will get the same accolades for his serious stuff instead of this stupid ( drop my pants during taping, adlib an enter scene, etc.) A great director like Dennis Smith needs to take Michael in a good place. Please give Weatherly some good direction and move hime from the Jerry Lewis stuff.

17. Bob Haiskey says:

Also Cote de Pablo’s performance was Emmy worthy. That was a fantastic perfomance and I have ot say Yes, I had tears in my eyes.

18. MJ says:

They had better submit Cote’s performance in this episode for Emmy consideration! Pretty sure the next episode will be an Emmy worthy performance as well.

19. kendall says:

I cry everytime i watch it!!!!

20. Kath says:

Cote de Pablo deserves to win this week. A tough role and she knocked it out of the park.

Special mention to Michael Nouri for the very complex yet confused Eli.

I was especially impressed in the scene in the car when Ziva confronted Eli about doing the killing, and he asked for just one more dinner with her.

it’s been a long time since there has been material for Cote de Pablo to shine on NCIS; I hope they give her the chance again.

21. Sam says:

Lana was brilliant in this episode but we’ve already seen her powerful portrayal of a broken Regina in the episode “The Doctor” she definitely deserves an Emmy for that performance. She is phenomenal and deserves more credit.

22. VOXPOP says:

HAD no idea cote de pablo had that range..surprised they haven’t given her more to do previous to this episode..come on NCIS producers USE what u have.

23. I don’t think there have been two charactors that have had such an effect on a show as the directors wife and Ziva’s father. Eli and Mrs. Vance always bring the human side to the stories by the effect they have on the other charactors. I can imagine a huge turn in the stories as Vance and Ziva now share a bond simillar to Jenny and Tony. It may also turn up the tension between Vance and Gibbs as Gibbs attempts to keep Ziva grounded and undercontrol and Vance calls upon her “killer” past. Cote de Pablo may very well win several awards for this seasons stories if this plays out like I think….. I am geeked!!!!!!!!!!

24. Cami says:

I agree with so many of the comments. The heart wrenching “Abba!” Is still ringing in my head. I got chills, teared up, gasped… Such a great episode. I love Cote DePablo’s ability to kick butt in episodes and then give such amazing, touching performances.

25. Maddy says:

i nearly broke my computer when i first saw this, best and most effective scream out there and its a good job well done.

26. web design says:

I don’t even know how I finished up right here, but I believed this submit was once great. I don’t understand who you are however definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already. Cheers!

27. estefania says:

cote de pablo is the best forever, and nothing could change it , no anti , no haters, no cbs, because she has love of fans around of the world

28. Megan says:

Can I just say, its 2014 and i can still hear Ziva’s cries and screams of ABBA echoing through my brain…..Cote is an AMAZINGLY TALENTED woman and actress and she’s irreplaceable and unbeatable!!! Bring Back Cote to NCIS nobody can fill her space!!!! Its just empty without her!!!