Exclusive

Exclusive: Grey's Anatomy's New Interns Are Sticking Around -- But for How Long?

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 Spoilers -- CastGrey’s Anatomy is giving its new crop of interns a nice vote of confidence heading into next season.

The soap’s boss, Shonda Rhimes, has added a series regular option to the contracts of recurring players Jerrika Hinton (Stephanie), Gaius Charles (Shane) and Tessa Ferrer (Leah). Fellow newbie Camilla Luddington (Jo) already had such a clause in her deal, while the fate of Tina Majorino (Heather) is complicated by her role in the TNT pilot Legends. If that series fails to snag a series order, Majorino likely will return to Grey’s.

VIDEO | Grey’s Anatomy First Look: Callie Wants Sex. With Arizona. Now.

While the legal move doesn’t ensure the actors will be series regulars in Season 10, it does suggest that Rhimes is seriously considering such a possibility. At the very least, the group will stick around through the end of the current Season 9.

Formal pickup letters go out in June.

This begs the question: Of the five newbies, which ones would you like to see join the full-time ranks next season? Sound off below!

1. This is such good news! I would love the show to continue after Season 10 focusing on the new interns! Shane, Stephanie and Heather are all great, funny characters, but could do with the other two being replaced!

2. l says:

How about no.It doesn’t need new regulars.Maybe keep Heather and Stephanie but the others are either boring or in Jo’s case irritating beyond belief.She whines to much.

3. chris says:

Can’t stand the new interns, can’t even remember their names. They just take screen time better spent on the main cast! Grey’s needs to get back to telling medical stories that advance/inform the stories of their main characters. These interns are just a waste of time.

4. Chris says:

I want Shane and Jo to stay

5. Brett says:

It’s uneven, they need another male intern character.

6. cjeffery7 says:

i could care less about Leah. she’s so blah. she’s like a boring, personality-less Izzie.

7. jane says:

Get rid of all of them and bring back Addison. She could carry the show if MerDer left next year.

8. Andie says:

Whatever, Shonda just keeps interns around the hospital for target practice. Not worth getting attached.

9. Sam says:

It obvious Rhimes is setting the stage for season 11 if the ratings don’t tank. The newest crop of invaders are already getting story lines and they have the rest of this season and next for us to get to know them, like them, hate them while they become front and center and some of the originals fade into the background. I think I likeTina the best of the group. Dislike the over used intern/attending theme.

10. Lauren says:

I like all of them but Leah. I LOVE Shane, he needs to stay. I’m happy to hear this, though I seem to be the only one…

11. farsia2010 says:

just keep Jo (i think that is her name anyway), she is good for Karev, and it is about time he was dealt a good card. the others can just go away… i mean the only reason i want Jo to stay is for Karev to be happy, the others are just pointless IMHO. maybe keep them for an occasional teaching moment so that our original cast can shine but that is about it. and Heather and Leah can just go away immediately, those two are just annoying.

12. farsia2010 says:

oh and i have another question, i remember when our originals came, it was a big deal to sleep with an attending and the other interns did take it well when one of them slept with an attending (Christina slept with Berk and they boycotted her and the same with Mer/Der), not to mention that the chief didn’t take it well. now it seems normal? no one really cares and it is almost expected. what is going on? consistence lapse much?

13. Jenny says:

I think Greys is losing credibility cause of these interns and their stories… It comes off all kinds of high school ish. Mostly because of that annoying Jo. Hard to take them seriously really. It’s nothing like it was when Meredith and friends were interns when the show started.

14. The only intern I really give a damn about is Jo.

15. Cee Cee says:

I thought they were having budget cuts that’s why they killed off Lexie and made Teddy leave, now they’re upping the whiny interns?

16. rogrey says:

I don’t know why, but with this picture I kinda see what Grey’s could be next once all of the main actors are done with it.

17. Bre says:

No. No. NO. Bring in James and Amelia from Private Practice!

The only interns who are tolerable are Shane, Heather and Jo. I absolitely do not like Stephanie or Leah. Especially Leah. Also, I didn’t even bother to learn/remember any of their names until last night.

• Bre says:

*absolutely

• MediaHo says:

James and Amelia from PP would be amazeballs! So would Addison, but rumor has it that Kate Walsh wants to do some comedy (and she WAS great on “The Drew Carey Show,” albeit almost recognizable in the fat suit). Would prefer them to the interns, but you’d have to keep one or two. And lose annoying girl Kepner.

Regarding the interns, I like Stephanie, Jo and Heather. Shane has been too inconsistent — highly capable one week, killing organs the next.

18. kiara says:

the only ones I want to stay are Heather and Shane

19. kbooga says:

YYYEEEESSSSS!

20. FF says:

I’m just not wild about them. Sorry. Not Shonda’s best casting.

21. Lauren says:

I wonder if Shonda reads TV Line or EW. She would see how often all her fans are angered by her decisions and maybe not do things like, oh I don’t know, kill two beloved characters in a plane crash, or force a new crop of interns down our throats. I love Grey’s and will watch until the bitter end – but I will NEVER watch a Shonda show again.

22. shadester says:

all except the girl that goes on and on about karev. and the black girl. the rest i like. But keep them recurring i think. I esp like Jo.

23. Ally Oop says:

I wish Alexis Bledel would come back. I loved her one-off episode. I also wonder whether or not one of Private Practice`s characters will be coming to Grey`s. I have a feeling Shonda isn`t done with cutting some of her veteran actors. I have been thinking Owen will be leaving soon. I also liked Neve Campbell`s appearance but I don`t see her getting a role on the show due to budget constraints. I guess we`ll just have to wait and see. I figure if Shonda sticks to her 14-member core cast, we`ll be seeing at least 4 of the newbies and/or Private Practice characters coming to the show (or 3 if Owen or someone else doesn’t exit). Meredith, Alex, Cristina, Avery, April, Owen, Bailey, Chief, Arizona, Callie and Derek are all in the core cast now, with the five interns appearing sporadically (and let’s not forget the now-kaput Minnesota characters who also filled in the first half of the season), as well as the soon-to-be-returning Catherine Avery (who I could see becoming chief of surgery). Out of the Private Practice characters, I would love to see Charlotte, Cooper or Amelia come to Grey’s–mostly I’d like Charlotte but with her triplets I doubt it would happen so I’m thinking it’ll be Amelia. My picks for the Core 14 cast for next season are: Meredith, Alex, Cristina, Arizona, Derek, Callie, Chief, Catherine, Avery, April, Amelia, Bailey, Stephanie and Jo. However, that would make only 4 male core cast members so that would not work. I have no idea.

• rosemary says:

the reason is PP need to end , bz they can’t create new story, GA doesn’t need any character in PP,
      Owen will stay , KMK’s hot & sexy , who want to see old woman Catherine as a regular,??

24. Skyfan says:

Props for Leah; she could be Sandra Bullock’s younger sister…

25. Tai says:

I like Jo and Shane. The others I couldn’t care less about.

26. soxfan says:

I like Leah, Shane & Heather – the others can & should go!

27. Sam says:

For the record they all were supposed to move on…Cristina in fact did but she didn’t like it…and Meredith and Derek stayed simply because of Derek’s hand that Callie was gonna fix. AND Alex tried to go to Hopkins but due to Arizon being a baby he stayed….bottom line you don’t have a show without Mer Der and Cristina…if they make it past 10 and they don’t re-sign to come back. Majority of fans won’t return either.

• FF says:

I was loyal to ER until the bitter end. It was never the same show without Edwards, Clooney, Morse, Margulies. But it was still good TV. Shonda needs to do some better casting this time around. I think she was not as careful as she used to be. And she needs to get some familiar faces. If she can’t afford that, I think she will have to pack it in.

• jer says:

It is called Grey’s Anatomy without met and Christina there is no show!!! Everytime they kill off the good ones (George,izze,lex,mark) it makes me like the show less and less. The story has changed so much it’s stupid,we fell in love for a reason. No new interns!

28. Jennifer says:

LOL if Shonda was only considering to add them as “regulars”, we wouldn’t be talking about them. Now it’s pretty sure they’ll be around next year, unfortunately. And even if Grey’s fate is unknown it’s obvious the show will get renewed! I don’t understand why Shonda doesn’t focus on her main cast…
    The show is still doing great but in its first years it had over 20 million viewers and it rarely has 10 million lol. Isn’t that a sign that the show should be over by the 10th season? We saw the cast growing from interns to residents and now we’re seeing them as attending; the last step of their career

29. Woody says:

All five should stay on long enough to go through a major ordeal at SG, where none of them survive. Perhaps they perform unauthorized surgeries on each other in which they end up dying as a result. The remaining intern becomes depress from his/her act and decides to jump off the hospital building.

• Brittany says:

That kind of happened with the season where Mercy West merged with Seattle Grace and they had a shooting to kill off all the newcomers people couldn’t be bothered with. Maybe this time it could be as simple as the new interns went and got new jobs because they didn’t find out about the Harper Avery purchase of the hospital in time?

30. Debbie says:

I think Addison Montgomery should buy it

31. Chrisalyn says:

Don’t bring back Izzie! NO! Always love Christine, Mer, CALLIE, Der, Alex, Miranda, “the chief”, agree that Owen could go. To soap-opery. No offense to the actor. It’s his character.

32. Nicole says:

I dislike all the new interns! They don’t have that charm that captives viewers. When the characters Teddy, Lexie, and Mark came on the screen, they had that special “it” factor that automatically made viewers want to see they more. These newbies are just terrible & annoying.

33. Elena says:

Please bring back Izzi :)

34. Heather says:

Didn’t like the interns at first but they are growing on me. Jo was annoying at first but really enjoying seeing Alex fall for her. I wouldn’t mind seeing Jo and Alex together,but at the same time I would love to see Izzie come back and throw a wrench in things. I know that’s its not likely that they will bring Katherine Higel back but I wish they would. Also it would be neat to have Addison and her man guest star for Meridths labor or at least have Derek’s family(sisters and mom) show up.One last thing, when are we going to see thatcher and Meridths sister appear(shouldn’t we hear about them if not see them talk about lexie)? It is called greys anatomy!!

35. Kaylie says:

Take out the guy, he’s so snobby, when he told mousy to watch it, I got so pissed. I never liked him before now he pisses me off. And Avery’s girl needs to go too. But I’d rather have the guy leave. The rest of the interns should stay. I hope Tina’s role works out. I agree with most of the people, izzy Stevens should come back! However. It would be better if her and Karev wouldn’t reunite. I am hoping for Jo and Karev! Something should happen to Calis baby, it’d be a good dramatic episdoe

36. Jesssica says:

I hope April it’s remove I can’t stand her and all the interns … I hate the fact they put. The ugliest girls

37. Jesssica says:

Jackson it’s with that black intern and she can’t act he needs someone better

38. Destiny marie says:

I’m mad mark and Lexi died that was bull crap! I almost stoped watching

39. arjukhan says:

one word bring back stevens! have a jo alex and stevens love triangle..would make an awesome storyline

40. beth says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Kill them off please!!! ALL OF THEM!

41. Stacy says:

why did they kill off Eric Dane and Chyler leigh who were much better actors? Sure, they wanted to leave *eye roll* = contract renewal time. the new interns are terrible. Get rid of them.

42. Krysie Fenty says:

I believe that they should all stay base on how the season 9 ended but I like Jo because finally Alex is getting back on the horse(she might not be crazy r die with cancer but I think she is going to be abusive,she beat the crap outta that baby delivering doc) I love coucou head heather…Shane is so sweet for what he did for merideth. I want Stephanie back cause of how April and Avery ended the season finale that should be interesting and I DON’T CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAY AVERY ISN’T SUPPOSE TO BE FUNNY HE IS THE HEAD OF THE HOSPITAL AND ITS A DRAMA AND HE AND APRIL HAVE THE DRAMA AND HE IS SO SWEET Atleast due to him almost dying she has come to her senses I watch that scene about 5 times and where they thought he got blew up and where yang and shepherd r running down the hall . SEASON 9 FINALE WAS SIZZLING HOTTTTTT… ” pure contempt” according to yang can’t wait till season 10

43. I’m not too into this set of interns either. Like, I kind of know who they are, but really don’t even know their names – except Jo. What I think would make a great next season is if they brought Izzie back, let Jo stay, and then let us see what Alex decides. He’s the one character from the start that hasn’t really had anything really work out in his favor. And even though I couldn’t stand him at first, he’s now one of my favorites. Besides, I LOOOOOVED Izzie! I miss her like CRAZY! I’m constantly checking to see if she’s ever going to make it back into the story line, even if it’s just once in a while. I miss George too, but he can’t really come back. =(

44. Marisol Cirilo says:

I would love to see April with Avery, kerve with jo, idk to much for the other interns..i love the old crew grey, Derek, yang,etc..

45. Tiffany says:

These interns are so boring. ZERO interest in them. Shonda lost it when she let little grey and sloan go.

46. Dina says:

I’m glad Cristina left her “shares” to Alex, I hope he finds the truest uncomplicated love … it’s been far to long! Calle is a deeply beautiful soul – after the loss of Mark and the wretched creature Arizona has become ( she can take her street cred, badge of honor, war wound & hop away as far as I care-she is a soul cancer). Bring back Adison! Owen needs to go be with Cristina or fall for someone QUICKLY and become a dad! We need a break from temper tantrum Bailey … So watching her have a melt down over Alex getting the shares will be BAD WRITING… A joyous SURPRISING PREGNANCY- maybe even a move to LA… Can’t bring these new characters in and have all the old ones keep their dignity! Enough of Derek bullying Meredith on where they’re going to live, enough!!! The whole alpha male thing is not working for anyone and it makes women look bad! Ease up on the April & Jackson fighting about Jesus … It should be more fluid, he’s seeing the beauty of Christ through the love he has for her and through her eyes…attraction, not promotion! Richard retires when it’s time he and Catherine are married and they stay in Seattle to watch their grandbabies…. Be very very careful with the new characters maybe take a play out of the old ER playbook is a interchange new with old new with old you can’t have too many characters it’s too hard to follow!