People's Choice Awards Go to TV's Usual Suspects -- Plus a Few Surprises

PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS 2012The people have spoken, and they like Grey’s Anatomy, Supernatural, Castle, Glee and The X Factor.

The five shows scored a leading two trophies apiece Wednesday night at the 2013 People’s Choice Awards.

A pair of modestly rated freshman series (NBC’s The New Normal and The CW’s Beauty and the Beast) as well as one recently cancelled drama (TNT’s Leverage) also walked off with trophies at the Kaley Cuoco-hosted CBS ceremony.

Scroll down for a complete list of the TV winners.

FAVORITE NETWORK TV COMEDY
The Big Bang Theory

FAVORITE CABLE TV COMEDY
Awkward

FAVORITE NEW TV COMEDY
The New Normal

FAVORITE COMEDIC TV ACTOR
Chris Colfer, Glee

FAVORITE COMEDIC TV ACTRESS
Lea Michele, Glee

FAVORITE NETWORK TV DRAMA
Grey’s Anatomy

FAVORITE CABLE TV DRAMABridesmaid Up!
Leverage

Demi Lovato, The X Factor

FAVORITE DAYTIME TV HOST
Ellen DeGeneres

FAVORITE LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW HOST
Jimmy Fallon

1. Renee says:

For anyone who actually watched this. Was there anyone from Beauty & the Beast there? I didn’t even record because I didn’t think it had a chance to win.

• Sabrina says:

Both of the actors were at the awards.

• Sharie says:

I personally am very happy that Beauty and the Beast won. I think it’s definitely improved a lot over time, and I hope people give it a chance.

• Claudia says:

They were called at last minute, the leads from Arrow where there since the beginning I dont think the CW didnt even think they would win, they flew them in a private jet from their set in Canada just for the evening, thats when they realized they were winning, and the fans DEMANDED them to be there….It was so exciting for us fans that voted like crazy I even gave up thinking Arrow was gonna win :)

2. erin says:

This list goes to show that when you give people a choice, they choose imcorrectly.

3. Jo says:

Most of these results are EXACTLY why I do not watch nor vote for the People’s Choice Awards. I am truly not trying to dig on any one show, but Beauty and the Beast as Best New Show? The ratings are abysmal, yet the fanbase has all the time in the world to vote over, over , and over for the show.

“Someone else said it above but it’s worth repeating… This award says absolutly NOTHING about a show. But it speaks volumes about the fans.” — Ditto!

• Claudia says:

your point? is pure PR baby!

• Amiee says:

OK. Let’s just wait and see what all this PR will get you in the ratings.

• Sarah says:

*cough* From The President of The CW Network, Mark Pedowitz: “We’re very pleased with it creatively. It’s on par with Secret Circle in terms of total viewers. Based on the passion of fans, we think we have something there.” and “I think we have something with the love story between Cat and Vincent,I believe the show has more growth potential than Secret Circle.”

4. sarah says:

So glad I did not waste my time watching. No one I wanted to win, won. Well I am happy Ellen won. However Arrow was way more deserving than Beauty and the Beast was. I am also sad no one from The Vampire Diaries won!

5. Clota says:

TBTB THE BEST!!!! YEA!!!!!

6. Jeannean says:

Leverage won!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOOOO excited!!! Congrats to all!!! I am hoping a smart network will pick up this great show and make millions of fans happy. :)

7. Jessica says:

Congratulations winners! You have more rabid, stalker, fangirls than anyone else on the list! Um…woo hoo?

• Laura says:

Rabid stalker fangirls all over the world I might add. Doesn’t translate into Nielsen viewers though.

• Shireen says:

I actually question that assumption in a couple of ways. If we were to take that logically, then clearly, Ian Somerhalder or Paul Wesley would have won over Nathan Fillion and Grey’s Anatomy would not be Best Drama. I do think it is a subset of voters that vote (and the ones who vote strategically). I wouldn’t lightly dismiss PCA wins for anyone—I think it is good PR for shows and judging from all the comments here, people clearly do care about the results else we wouldn’t be reading.

8. JBC says:

I don’t like the PCA’s and wish they had a way where fans of shows could vote just once for their nominated favorites. Anyway, my thought is that since Leverage fans did come through for this show, maybe some network will pick up a spin off with the 3 “kids”. Who knows. Leverage was a really good show.

9. Eric says:

I feel that Castle, Supernatural, The New Normal, Ellen, and to a lesser extent, Jimmy Fallon deserved their wins (no offense to Jimmy, he’s awesome; I just happened to be cheering for Conan this year). I would have given everything else to other shows, even though I have admittedly never seen Awkward.

10. Brandy says:

Im happy Jennifer Anistion,Big Bang Theory,Jennifer Lawerence,Hunger Games,Twilight won but Jim Parsons shouldve won for male tv comdeian,Nina Dobrev for Female Dramatic actress,PLL for Best Cable Drama,VD or Once Upon A Time for Best Scifi/fantasy Show,Once Upon A Time or PLL for Favorite TV Following,Kaley Coco for Favorite TV Comedey Actress

11. Winston says:

Here’s the thing, the fanbase for BatB is exactly the type of fanbase you would expect to sit and vote for a show rabidly. While a show like arrow, doesn’t quite have that same type of fanbase. not to say you can’t watch both shows, but within that fanbase for BatB you have your Stans. Though if we wanna know who the clear winner is, arrow is the top rated show in toatl viewers every week, and second in the beloved demo. Beauty, can not say the same. And for the record I watch both, and while beauty has improved…Arrow has been Great from the start.

• AS says:

I will say, as others have, that I watch BOTH shows. Arrow started strong, but the storyline has just gotten weaker and weaker as the season has progressed (and I am no longer hooked on it), whereas BATB has improved consistently. I am NOT a stan. I am a working professional over 40, have little time for TV and generally do not bother with many cable shows. Arrow caught my eye this season, as did BATB, so I watched. While both shows are good, the BATB cast has an amazing chemistry, and it really does hook you. Everyone’s tastes are different, however, so I might rather slit my writs than watch something you enjoy. As for the quality of a show, cast etc, a network can hire A-list actors and throw a lot of money at a show, but if doesn’t provide the entertainment and escapism that people are looking for on a simple TV show, people won’t watch it – plain and simple. That being said, if you don’t like the results of the PCAs, VOTE NEXT YEAR so that your faves have a chance at winning.

GO BEASTIES!!

• Renee says:

I watch both shows too and I agree Arrow started very strong but has weaken and BATB started weak but is steadily improving. And I WISH I had the time to sit and vote over and over for a show, but alas… I just wish some of the people who blew BATB off would give it another try.

• Emily says:

I really, really hated the pilot of BATB, and I watched it in July so I was able to strike it off my “to check out” fall TV list early. But I’ll admit my interest is sort of piqued again. I stopped watching TVD and I’m not as interested in Arrow as I’d like to be.

• Renee says:

You should give it another try. Just keep in mind episodes 1-4 are weaker, but kind of necessary to know the whole story. IMO. After episode 4 it has gotten better and better.

• Claudia says:

Well said, Im 37 yrs. old, mother of 3 and I have a very demanding job where I deal with every day issues, I want to sit down and relax and find that escapism of the day to day that only a show like BATB can give, I watched both Arrow and BATB since the beginning, I completly lost track of Arrow as much as I wanted to get into the plot sorry I couldnt, in the other han I stuck with BATB and got swept away, and yes I voted and voted I knew we were not that many but this was gonna give the show a chance for other people to enjoy what we are enjoying the show has gotten better and better, Kristin and Jay has tremendous chemistry, and yes the show can become cheesy sometimes but over all is a very good way to escape from our realities at times…..

• Winston says:

LOL, if you’re not a stan, great. I never once said that everyone who voted was a stan, I simply noted BatB has the appeal that would in turn produce stans.I made my comment because some commenters, seemed a bit miffed as to why beauty won. This is my theory outside of there being a fringe event. The fact that you took the time to comment in your post that you weren’t a stan, worries me a bit.(joking, joking) But by no neans have I dissed BatB and I hope no one takes it that way. Simply put, in Neilson Homes, Arrow is the more popular show.Neilson is so flawed. I am a neilson diary home, but what does that really count for? & BatB was just awful when it started, i struggled through the pilot, and though I love Smallville KK is not the strongest actress, but again it has gotten loads better.LOADS! Arrow did slip a bit with that stupid huntress crap, but the following ep redeemed that arc to me. I will say i will not be foolish enough to call BatB this years secret Circle. yet. But can we all just love our shows and get along?

• Claudia says:

just try to watch BATB again, not only the pilot, it got better and better specially episode 5-9, was watching both shows Arrow and BATB, but I got bored with Arrow very soon as just watched it fto killl time not because I was anticipating to get home and watch it. BATB is another story, first 3-4 epsidoes I stook for the love of the sotry which I always found it fascinating, but I got stuck to it…so bad that I have rewatched episodes 1-9 like crazy and the Bridesmaid Up episode like a zillion times…..the finale was epic for us #Beasties

12. Sara says:

This sounds like the Teen Choice Awards and not People’s Choice Awards.

13. Jared says:

So happy that Awkward won Best Cable Comedy..totally deserved. The fact that Beauty and the Beast won Favorite New Drama series should tell the CW that people are interested in this show and hopefully they will promote this series more. Sure the ratings aren’t huge but I do think the CW should stick with this series and give it a second season.

14. Karen G says:

So glad that Leverage won!! Still boycotting ALL things TNT, TBS & all things associated with Turner Networks. Do not understand why the PCA show did not broadcast the win for Leverage. Kinda adds insult to the injury of cancellation.

• Alan says:

leverage is neither a cbs show or a show with mad screaming tween fans so it was obvious if it won it was never getting to air

15. Pretty Little Liars was robbed this year.

• Micah says:

No, The Walking Dead was robbed, it and leverage were the only good cable shows in that category. The Walking Dead is a much higher quality than all of them, but if I had to pick a second it would be Leverage.

16. Lucy says:

Beauty and the Beast?! Seriously?! Arrow is so much better!

17. Ethel says:

Glad Leverage won, it deserved the win but a slap in the face for not showing it. Finally Modern Family did not win anything and BBT got a much deserved recognition. Glee is a comedy?? Did not see many laughs this year, more of a drama and I don’t even consider it a dramedy like Castle. I like Chris Colfer but to win for comedy?? NO. Hopefully someone smarter than TNT will find a way to resurrect Leverage…..ION perhaps?

18. mentdijinn says:

LEVERAGE the best show on cable tv got cancelled but us fans still want MORE LEVERAGE.. the fans have spoken! i sure hope they can find another network or TNT reconsiders!!

19. Josh says:

Lets see Kaley Cuco and Jim Parsons are funnier than Lea Michele nd Chris Colder Ginnfer Goodwin is a much better actress than Nina Dobrev and tv’s best comedy actually won best comedy YAY!

20. Ali says:

Yay for Supernatural! And congrats to all the other winners. :)

21. Robin says:

Favorite TV Fan following? I don’t understand this award…

22. nick1372 says:

Nice for Castle & The New Normal!

It feels weird to have an awards show without Modern Family winning…

23. Annie says:

LEVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!

24. Shallom says:

Beauty and the beast is a great show. One thing dat gives us happiness in life is growth. No one started out huge, we all grew. BATB is growing and we are growing along with it. Few episodes were weak bt we give it another chanc and it was worth the wait… Thumps up beasties