Late-Night Update: Kimmel Tops Letterman, But Not Leno, in Trio's First Full Face-Off

Get More: Late Night TV, News, Ratings

Ratings: Kimmel Beats Leno and LettermanJimmy Kimmel Live! looked lively in its new, earlier time slot.

RELATED | Ratings: NCIS Hits a Season High, Parenthood Again Tops Slot, NBC Sitcoms Plunge

UPDATE: The ABC late-night talker on Tuesday night drew 3.1 million total viewers, with 890,000 of ‘em landing n the coveted 18-49 sweet spot. That bested CBS’ Late Show With David Letterman (2.8 mil/683K) in the shows’ first night of full-on head-to-head competition.

JKL however, per updated numbers, placed second on both counts to NBC’s Tonight Show With Jay Leno, which did 3.3 mil/1.1 mil.

(Initial numbers, based on 25 markets with local people meters, indicated that Kimmel had edged out both Leno and Letterman.)

Comments (15)

• Depends on guests.

Comment by forwarddad – January 9, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes it definitely depends on the guests. However, of all the late night hosts I’d much rather watch Fallon than any of the others.

Comment by Ralph – January 9, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jimmy’s strength is not so much his guests but his opening monologue/clips, which is head and shoulders funnier than Leno and Letterman (as much as I love Letterman). I thrilled that Jimmy won the time slot last night, but really, the numbers are so close, it always seems silly to me to say just because one has higher numbers, that makes them the
    king. SO close.

Still, if Leno comes in third once things settle down, I would be thrilled, just because I hate his underhanded, scheming behind, and it always gets under my skin to see bad behavior rewarded.

Comment by TV Gord – January 9, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope.

Comment by Jackie Jormpjomp – January 9, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jimmy!

Comment by N – January 9, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, despite the headline, overall Jay was #1, Jimmy #2, & Dave #3. They’re all three talented, have good nights, bad nights, good guests, and weak guests. Hopefully they’ll all three be successful and give us the choice of who we feel like watching any given night.

Comment by PEB – January 9, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be new. Total viewers doesn’t matter.

Comment by Lauren – January 9, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yea jimmy lost in the demo too….

Comment by mario – January 9, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • probably not. but i think this time slot is a great place for his renown to grow. he deserves to be among those guys even though he’s still a young buck!

Comment by cjeffery7 – January 9, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never found Kimmel funny and, if with the added push from having a debut show and a guest like Jennifer Anniston couldn’t push him past Leno, nothing else will. I predict a Conan like trajectory, when Conan moved to the 11:35 slot that is.

To me, Leno is head, shoulders and elbows better than the rest, with the ratings to show for it.

Comment by Sammy – January 9, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kimmel just isn’t funny, plus, after the way he’s been acting lately, his behavior gets a big thumbs down from me. He’s an arrogant little putz with no redeeming qualities. Once the novelty of a new time zone wears off, it will be business as usual. I’d watch an infomercial before I’d watch him.

Comment by Edie – January 9, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay is well funnier than jimmy and Dave. Also jimmy is so arrogant; I was watching him but after his comments about jay Leno, I vowed not to watch him anymore. Stop hating on jay.

Comment by Kay – January 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay Leno is the best especially headlines.Jimmys thank you notes are stupid in general.What…people laugh because of the piano.Jimmy fallon is like another Bob Sagget on AFV, he tries to hard.

Comment by Mazter Evil – April 2, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post