Justin Bieber to Host Saturday Night Live

Justin Bieber: All Around the World - Season 2012NBC’s come down with a case of Saturday night Bieber.

Pop star Justin Bieber will host and perform as musical guest on the Feb. 9 Saturday Night Live, Billboard reports.

RELATED | Saturday Night Live Poll: Who Are This Season’s MVPs?

On Twitter Monday, the teen dream coyly hinted at his upcoming late-night gig, tweeting, “Maybe [I'm] hosting and performing on SNL… maybe.”

Though he’s never before taken the lead as SNL host, the Biebs has performed with the Not Ready for Primetime Players: He sang “U Smile” in a sketch during a Tina Fey-hosted episode in 2010 and also appeared as himself when Dana Carvey hosted in 2011 and when Will Ferrell hosted in 2012.

The Hunger Games actress Jennifer Lawrence will front the sketch-comedy show’s first 2013 episode on Jan. 19, with musical guest The Lumineers. The following week, Maroon 5 lead singer/The Voice coach Adam Levine is slated to host with musical guest Kendrick Lamar.

What do you think about Bieber as host? Sound off in the comments!

1. Lena says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. Molly says:

He’s popped up a few times on SNL, and while each time was mildly amusing, he ain’t no Timberlake.

3. mac says:

They really push me to stop watching, aren’t they?

4. Ulose says:

Well, I know an episode I’m going to SKIP! Why can’t they get someone actually funny?

5. Brandy says:

Since musicians are taking all of the hosting gigs this season, are they going to start booking all actors as musical guests now too?

• Sg. Grant says:

If the actor as a musical guest is Childish Gambino, I’ll suffer through several episodes of Justin Bieber hosting.

6. niks says:

Looks like Bruno Mars’ successful stint as host has encouraged SNL to try singers more frequently. It will have good ratings, even if most will tune in hoping to see Bieber fail.

• soundscene says:

Bruno Mars and Timberlake are the exceptions to the rule. Both were involved in variety type shows when they were kids and were not merely singers. Mars didn’t do TV, but he did stage performance.
      Bieber, as far as I’m aware, is just a musical performer. His attempts at acting in the past (CSI; playing himself on SNL) have been mediocre. Not *bad*, just not good. You need to be good to have even a shot of a successful SNL hosting gig.

7. Brigitte says:

I wish they would find some more obscure, yet funny people to host. Would love to see Alan Tudyk or Nathan Fillion take the helm. They both have such a great sense of humor and sense of self, it comes through in everything they do.

• capsoff says:

This, for both of them with a slight edge to Nathan. I find him more capable of digging up entertainment out of thin air, on his own. Alan is more of a banter/reaction kind of guy. That said, they are both best when partnered, so it’d be neat to have them BOTH host, together. That could be a return to SNL’s golden days.

• JenInChicago says:

I agree with the Nathan Fillion suggestion…….

8. JLK says:

This one will only be watched in our house after a significant amount of cache has gathered on the DVR to allow liberal and frequent fast forwarding.

9. Mike says:

While I actually don’t despise Bieber like m

10. Mike says:

While I actually don’t despise Bieber like most I hate his smug arrogant I think I’m cool attitude. So I will definitely hate watch this episode, or maybe actually skip it. I keep in hoping that they will get someone who will actually make me want to watch te show for the host and not for the not soon for prime time guys and gals. I’m still hopin for Joel Mchale, hell anybody from community, or Parks and Rec. Nathin Fillion woul also be great, I would love to see NPH too. Not looking forward to Birber but I’m sure NBC will love the ratings this brings.

11. Lynne says:

And this will be one episode I only tune into just in time for Weekend Update.

12. soundscene says:

When SNL (or, rather, Lorne Michaels, et al) makes a decision like this, it makes me wonder whether they care about making the show good at all. Nothing in Bieber’s past stints portraying himself lends to the idea he would make a good character actor, which you need to be in order to have a successful hosting gig. It’s going to be an episode full of Bieber carrying a light load while the cast does all the work around him. Yikes.

13. Bill says:

I will be skipping SNL for the 1st time in 27 years. Pathetic…

14. josh says:

ugh, how about getting someone people actually want to see and cross promoting some of your shows NBC… would Donald Glover not cause excitement among people who can actually stay up that late to watch Saturday Night Live?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Donald Glover hosting SNL would make my week happy. He could even double as the musical guest since having one guest do both jobs seems to be SNL’s thing nowadays. I think Alison Brie would be a fun choice too. Really, anyone from Community could do it well. Joel McHale even used to be on a sketch comedy show before he was famous.

• Angela says:

Joel McHale hosting would make me very happy. I cannot believe that hasn’t happened yet.
        As for Bieber hosting…meh, no opinion on the guy one way or another, so…*Shrugs*.

15. Deena says:

His one advantage is that he doesn’t take himself too seriously so he’ll be game for what they throw at him. Let’s hope the writers give the guy something decent to work with so he has a chance. When Eli Manning hosted I thought it was going to be a disaster due to his lack of personality compared to his brother but he wound up doing ok.

• TV Gord says:

THAT’s the spirit! This is the attitude I have when someone I don’t expect to like hosts SNL. I, too, have been pleasantly surprised in the past.

16. TV Gord says:

So many narrow minded people…

• Lisa says:

That’s kind of… mean. If anything, it’s pessimism, not narrow-mindedness.
      I see a lot of folks burned by bad hosting decisions in the past. Has there ever been a host do better than people thought he/she would? Yes. Has it happened often? No. Even some actors who you would think should be good at this format wind up doing poorly. A musical performer whose only acting credits are a subpar guest spot on CSI and a few very brief outings on SNL playing himself, doesn’t scream “good hosting choice” to me. It screams “he’s famous and the press talk a lot about him so lets just write some easy lines for him and hope his fans show up to watch.” SNL has done this so many times in the past with poor results that it sucks when they continue to do it.

• Cameron Kibler says:

It’s not the host, it’s the script. Jeremy Renner was just on the show. His acting didn’t seem that great but the skits were really well written and the whole thing came together. Bieber will definetly be made fun of in some skits. Like the Mick Jagger skit about The Marron 5 song, moves like Jagger. It was really great.

17. Jessica says:

I’m not a Bieber fan (probably because I’m not in his demographic), but I’ll give him a chance. Don’t most of his fans have their bedtime way before 11:30pm?

• TV Gord says:

I was 13 when SNL began in 1975, and I never missed a show. (Hell, I also watched Carson AND Tom Snyder back then!) Bedtime, shmedtime! ;-)

18. JenInChicago says:

Dear lord, why?

Once in a while, ok – but it’s becoming a regular thing: Adam Levine, Bruno Mars, now Bieber (all in the same season)…..Ugh. Unprogramming the DVR for this one.

19. RINMINNESOTA says:

This doesn’t seem like a pathetic attempt at damage control for his recent drug scandal…not at all.

20. Cameron Kibler says:

The whole point about the hosts are to be Famous People. Doesn’t matter how they are famous. You can’t like some one if you compare them to someone else. I wonder how many people they ask to host and get turned down cause they can’t make it or other arrangements. It’s all about the writing anyway. If someone has a good script or poor script, makes or breaks the show. Beiber could have the best scripts and be the funniest show ever. You don’t know. Your not a true fan if you let the host ruin your ability to be entertained!