Justin Bieber to Host Saturday Night Live

Get More: News

Justin Bieber: All Around the World - Season 2012NBC’s come down with a case of Saturday night Bieber.

Pop star Justin Bieber will host and perform as musical guest on the Feb. 9 Saturday Night Live, Billboard reports.

RELATED | Saturday Night Live Poll: Who Are This Season’s MVPs?

On Twitter Monday, the teen dream coyly hinted at his upcoming late-night gig, tweeting, “Maybe [I'm] hosting and performing on SNL… maybe.”

Though he’s never before taken the lead as SNL host, the Biebs has performed with the Not Ready for Primetime Players: He sang “U Smile” in a sketch during a Tina Fey-hosted episode in 2010 and also appeared as himself when Dana Carvey hosted in 2011 and when Will Ferrell hosted in 2012.

The Hunger Games actress Jennifer Lawrence will front the sketch-comedy show’s first 2013 episode on Jan. 19, with musical guest The Lumineers. The following week, Maroon 5 lead singer/The Voice coach Adam Levine is slated to host with musical guest Kendrick Lamar.

What do you think about Bieber as host? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (33)

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Lena – January 8, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This x ∞

Comment by luke – January 8, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Bill bob (@ENNEPS) – January 8, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s popped up a few times on SNL, and while each time was mildly amusing, he ain’t no Timberlake.

Comment by Molly – January 8, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really push me to stop watching, aren’t they?

Comment by mac – January 8, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bwahahahaha.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 8, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I know an episode I’m going to SKIP! Why can’t they get someone actually funny?

Comment by Ulose – January 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since musicians are taking all of the hosting gigs this season, are they going to start booking all actors as musical guests now too?

Comment by Brandy – January 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If the actor as a musical guest is Childish Gambino, I’ll suffer through several episodes of Justin Bieber hosting.

Comment by Sg. Grant – January 8, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like Bruno Mars’ successful stint as host has encouraged SNL to try singers more frequently. It will have good ratings, even if most will tune in hoping to see Bieber fail.

Comment by niks – January 8, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bruno Mars and Timberlake are the exceptions to the rule. Both were involved in variety type shows when they were kids and were not merely singers. Mars didn’t do TV, but he did stage performance.
      Bieber, as far as I’m aware, is just a musical performer. His attempts at acting in the past (CSI; playing himself on SNL) have been mediocre. Not *bad*, just not good. You need to be good to have even a shot of a successful SNL hosting gig.

Comment by soundscene – January 8, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would find some more obscure, yet funny people to host. Would love to see Alan Tudyk or Nathan Fillion take the helm. They both have such a great sense of humor and sense of self, it comes through in everything they do.

Comment by Brigitte – January 8, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This, for both of them with a slight edge to Nathan. I find him more capable of digging up entertainment out of thin air, on his own. Alan is more of a banter/reaction kind of guy. That said, they are both best when partnered, so it’d be neat to have them BOTH host, together. That could be a return to SNL’s golden days.

Comment by capsoff – January 9, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with the Nathan Fillion suggestion…….

Comment by JenInChicago – January 9, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This one will only be watched in our house after a significant amount of cache has gathered on the DVR to allow liberal and frequent fast forwarding.

Comment by JLK – January 8, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I actually don’t despise Bieber like m

Comment by Mike – January 8, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I actually don’t despise Bieber like most I hate his smug arrogant I think I’m cool attitude. So I will definitely hate watch this episode, or maybe actually skip it. I keep in hoping that they will get someone who will actually make me want to watch te show for the host and not for the not soon for prime time guys and gals. I’m still hopin for Joel Mchale, hell anybody from community, or Parks and Rec. Nathin Fillion woul also be great, I would love to see NPH too. Not looking forward to Birber but I’m sure NBC will love the ratings this brings.

Comment by Mike – January 8, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And this will be one episode I only tune into just in time for Weekend Update.

Comment by Lynne – January 8, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When SNL (or, rather, Lorne Michaels, et al) makes a decision like this, it makes me wonder whether they care about making the show good at all. Nothing in Bieber’s past stints portraying himself lends to the idea he would make a good character actor, which you need to be in order to have a successful hosting gig. It’s going to be an episode full of Bieber carrying a light load while the cast does all the work around him. Yikes.

Comment by soundscene – January 8, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be skipping SNL for the 1st time in 27 years. Pathetic…

Comment by Bill – January 8, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh, how about getting someone people actually want to see and cross promoting some of your shows NBC… would Donald Glover not cause excitement among people who can actually stay up that late to watch Saturday Night Live?

Comment by josh – January 8, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Donald Glover hosting SNL would make my week happy. He could even double as the musical guest since having one guest do both jobs seems to be SNL’s thing nowadays. I think Alison Brie would be a fun choice too. Really, anyone from Community could do it well. Joel McHale even used to be on a sketch comedy show before he was famous.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 8, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Joel McHale hosting would make me very happy. I cannot believe that hasn’t happened yet.
        As for Bieber hosting…meh, no opinion on the guy one way or another, so…*Shrugs*.

Comment by Angela – January 8, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His one advantage is that he doesn’t take himself too seriously so he’ll be game for what they throw at him. Let’s hope the writers give the guy something decent to work with so he has a chance. When Eli Manning hosted I thought it was going to be a disaster due to his lack of personality compared to his brother but he wound up doing ok.

Comment by Deena – January 8, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THAT’s the spirit! This is the attitude I have when someone I don’t expect to like hosts SNL. I, too, have been pleasantly surprised in the past.

Comment by TV Gord – January 8, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many narrow minded people…

Comment by TV Gord – January 8, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s kind of… mean. If anything, it’s pessimism, not narrow-mindedness.
      I see a lot of folks burned by bad hosting decisions in the past. Has there ever been a host do better than people thought he/she would? Yes. Has it happened often? No. Even some actors who you would think should be good at this format wind up doing poorly. A musical performer whose only acting credits are a subpar guest spot on CSI and a few very brief outings on SNL playing himself, doesn’t scream “good hosting choice” to me. It screams “he’s famous and the press talk a lot about him so lets just write some easy lines for him and hope his fans show up to watch.” SNL has done this so many times in the past with poor results that it sucks when they continue to do it.

Comment by Lisa – January 9, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not the host, it’s the script. Jeremy Renner was just on the show. His acting didn’t seem that great but the skits were really well written and the whole thing came together. Bieber will definetly be made fun of in some skits. Like the Mick Jagger skit about The Marron 5 song, moves like Jagger. It was really great.

Comment by Cameron Kibler – January 15, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a Bieber fan (probably because I’m not in his demographic), but I’ll give him a chance. Don’t most of his fans have their bedtime way before 11:30pm?

Comment by Jessica – January 8, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was 13 when SNL began in 1975, and I never missed a show. (Hell, I also watched Carson AND Tom Snyder back then!) Bedtime, shmedtime! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – January 8, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear lord, why?

Once in a while, ok – but it’s becoming a regular thing: Adam Levine, Bruno Mars, now Bieber (all in the same season)…..Ugh. Unprogramming the DVR for this one.

Comment by JenInChicago – January 9, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This doesn’t seem like a pathetic attempt at damage control for his recent drug scandal…not at all.

Comment by RINMINNESOTA – January 10, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole point about the hosts are to be Famous People. Doesn’t matter how they are famous. You can’t like some one if you compare them to someone else. I wonder how many people they ask to host and get turned down cause they can’t make it or other arrangements. It’s all about the writing anyway. If someone has a good script or poor script, makes or breaks the show. Beiber could have the best scripts and be the funniest show ever. You don’t know. Your not a true fan if you let the host ruin your ability to be entertained!

Comment by Cameron Kibler – January 15, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post