Justified Recaplet: Church Is In Session

Justified Season 4 Premiere SpoilersPraise Jebus! Justified launched its fourth season Tuesday night, and all you really need to know is that Harlan County has been invaded by a controversial new church that has everyone — the sober and the stoned — abuzz.

Already a thorn in budding drug dealer Boyd Crowder’s side, the place of worship — a tent in the woods called Last Chance Holiness — seemingly aims to help the weak (aka Oxycontin users) find God.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 39 Returning Favorites

“Preacher Billy is healing lots of the afflicted,” one of Boyd’s debt-owing dealers relays to his now-ex-boss. Of course, this doesn’t sit well with the ne’er-do-well, who believes that his fledgling business is due to this born-again program.

Beloved prostitute Ellen May, having just shot one of her clients in a drug-induced haze, quickly falls for the new church’s charms — particularly those of the aforementioned preacher, played by a scene-stealing Joseph Mazzello. It should also be noted that the drug that ends up bringing her to the house of salvation is delivered in a folded up flier for the church — could those two things be related? Recruitment tactics, perhaps? Methinks yes.

Elsewhere in the hour:

• The episode begins with a flashback to 1983, which finds a skydiver plummeting to death on a cul-de-sac and leaving next to his corpse a bag filled with what looks to be cocaine. In present day, the bag and its contents (a driver’s license for a man named Waldo Truth) is of some real importance — so much so that an imprisoned Arlo hires two teens to (unsuccessfully) steal it from his empty home and kills a fellow inmate who learns of its existence.

RELATED | Exclusive: Justified Corrals Lost Vet For Arc

• Patton Oswalt’s Justified newbie, Constable Bob Sweeney, makes his debut as the lawman hired by Raylan to look out for Arlo’s home while the baddie is behind bars. His doofy, well-meaning cop’s standout line: “That’s my ‘go bag.’ I’ve got everything in there in case I need to go. This s–t goes Road Warriors, man? I’m ready.”

• Winona and her baby bump are nowhere to be found, but Raylan does lobby an array of dad-related questions at an absentee father/parolee in his possession.

What did you think of the start of Justified Season 4? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Boiler says:

I had to watch commercials of this show while watching a basketball game on ESPN. Why would anyone watch this??

• kram says:

Because it’s a good show, a**hole!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’ll try and answer that question if you can answer why would anyone waste their time commenting on a website about a TV show they don’t want to watch?

• Ihatemorons says:

I love you for this comment. I can’t stand this type of thinking. I am going to go out of my way to read and comment on something that I don’t care about so somebody will talk to me. I’m so lonely.

• Emily says:

Of the many, many shows I could apply that statement to… Justified is not even in the realm of possibility.

• Ihatemorons says:

Wow you watch NBA. You are the most awesome person in the world. Please share some more of the inner workings of your mind with us. – Is this the reaction you wanted, you lonely pathetic moron?

• kathy taus says:

Because it’s the best show on television.

2. MzPrizz says:

I loved tonight’s episode! It’s gonna be better than last season. Arlo is one crazy son-of-a-gun! Well the whole town is crazy too. I’ve missed Raylan and his “I don’t give a crap” attitude. I’m glad it’s back!!!! :)

3. Pat D. says:

I loved Patton Oswalt’s character tonight. Hopefully he comes back soon. And nothing new—Walt Goggins continues to own every scene he’s in.

4. jon says:

this show has great casting. they always have the best actors for the roles, Boiler, put the game back on, that a boy, nothing to see here lol

5. b! says:

Great premiere! Fun and entertaining! I loved the Lebowski shout out. The episode did have a Coen Bros feel to it; crazy characters, (where’s) Waldo mystery, Arlo stabbing dude in the neck! Yup it’s going to be a great season. And Raylan reminds me of a Southern James Bond! Of course without the gadgets but he’s always getting out of life threatening situations and is hooking up with some lovely ladies!

6. scorpionglow says:

This episode was excellent. During the scene between Arlo in his cell I said “He is not going to….” and he did. It was a little Sons of Anarchy shocking, but brilliant and unexpected, until you find out exactly what that bag is and what it could mean. I didn’t realize how much I’d missed this show until tonight.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

My power has been out all night and I can’t watch it! Oh, the humanity! I need the guy in the hat! I missed Cougar Town too just to make it extra painful. I am going to write this exact letter to the power company: “Dear Rocky Mountain Power…You’re monsters, you’re Hitlers, you’re racist pedophiles, you’re the opposites of Batman. Sincerely, Britta.”

8. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oh thank goodness, I had a friend who let me watch it at their place. Crisis averted. Stupid power outage. Okay, here’s my usual, random, very long, unrelated thoughts. I like Patton Oswalt on the show. Not sure how I feel about him faking the accent, because it sounds like he’s faking the accent, but he’s fun. Glad to have him in town. His best part was definitely, “Bob, you were just supposed to watch him. What happened?” “He asked me to draw on him.” “He didn’t do it right!” I laughed so hard. Methinks you are right about those recruitment tactics. Even stone cold sober, I would have shot that guy in the bear suit. Any guy who wants to have sex in an animal costume just has that coming, because that is some messed up sh*t. Waldo Truth looks like an anagram to me, but if it is, I can’t figure out what it could be. I am horrible at those kind of puzzles. I can get Arlo out of it, but then you’re left with wdtuth, which I don’t think can be made into any kind of word. I wonder if we’ll be seeing Winona at all this season, I read somewhere (maybe on this website) that she would definitely not be giving birth this season, so there may be no reason to show her, and she’s kind of busy with a new show, yes? It was a fun episode. I think it will be a fun season. Apparently they aren’t bringing in any big bad guys for the season like they did with Neal McDonough and Margot Martindale. They’re just going to concentrate on existing characters, and focus on the Boyd/Raylan relationship. I think that was mentioned in today’s USA Today article on the show. (On a side note, I think Mad Men could take a lesson from that of focusing on existing characters). I just hope we get to see Dickie and Dewey again. Speaking of Dickie, here’s a little bit of trivia I learned from the season 3 commentaries–Jeremy Davies does his own hair for the show! That crazy, weird, messy mohawk, whatever you want to call it, is his own creation!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Urgh, forgot to mention…that was Big Lebowski reference at the beginning of the show, yes? Making a joke about The Big Lebowski just makes this show so much more cooler to me. And it was already pretty cool.

9. Jess says:

What car was Constable Bob driving?

• MzPrizz says:

Was it a Gremlin?

• Pat D. says:

Furthering the awesomeness that was Constable Bob, LOL.

• Yes, it was. I thought it resembled the Mirthmobile, but that’s an AMC Pacer. Abound halfway at the start of the act when they arrive at the junkyard, when Raylan steps out of the car, you can clearly see silver, stylized raised lettering that reads “Gremlin”, also manufactured by AMC. A very, very specific choice has been made about what piece of crap he would drive, since it would be far more easier and realistic for him to be driving something from the 80s or 90s or even the early 00s. I expect to see it explode sometime this season.

10. Emily says:

Did Arlo really hire those kids? I got the impression that he didn’t.

11. Seascribe says:

Is there any cooler way to disarm a guy than by shooting his airbag? Raylan, you ARE the man.