Genie Francis Returning to General Hospital

Get More: Casting News, News

Genie Francis The Young and the RestlessJust in time for Valentine’s Day, General Hospital‘s Laura is coming home.

Daytime vet Genie Francis will return to the ABC soap this February, EW.com reports.

The actress portrayed the sudser’s Laura Webber Spencer — half of storied supercouple Luke and Laura — on and off from 1977 to 2008. She most recently played The Young and the Restless’ Genevieve, a role she left in November.

RELATED | It’s Official: General Hospital Vet Steve Burton Joins The Young and the Restless

Francis will begin taping GH later this week; the episodes will begin airing on Feb. 11.

Though there’s no word on how long she’ll stay in Port Charles, the site reports Francis will definitely be part of the soap’s 50th anniversary celebration in April.

Francis says she doesn’t know what’s going to happen to Laura during the upcoming stint, but she made one request of GH executive producer Frank Valentini: Come up with a good explanation for why Laura’s been away for so long.

“It’s not for me to tell them how to run their show,” she says. “But my biggest concern was that there had to be a good reason for [Laura] to stay away from [her] family.”

Comments (46)

• Laura <3

Comment by Tim – January 8, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good trade – I’ll take an awesome Laura over Jason everyday! Too bad Lucky isn’t around…

Comment by Lori – January 8, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love Jason, I have to agree completely with this comment.

Comment by Court (@wordsleadmeon) – January 8, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I thought I’d miss Jason, but I haven’t one bit!

Comment by Jessica – January 8, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You and me both. I thought I would really miss Jason but I don’t…and it certainly helps that I’m annoyed that Steve Burton lied about his reasoning for leaving GH. I’m leaning towards hoping that they don’t recast Jason…I’m kind of liking Shawn working for Sonny. Glad he’s getting a bigger storyline.

Comment by stef – January 8, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen!

Comment by Mindy – January 8, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 8, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ummm, didn’t she die?

Comment by jen – January 8, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. She left town. I believe for awhile she was living in London. Or somewhere. And since when has death has stopped a return LOL. on soap operas.

Comment by Stacey – January 8, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope.. She’s been in Paris for treatment after she came out of her comatose state..

Comment by Maddie Mae – January 8, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She left town for further treatment after she found out that Luke was married to Tracy. The last time we saw her, she was on a plane and Scotty had just joined her. Also, Luke and the kids ‘spoke’ to her no the phone the Christmas after we last saw her.

Comment by heyang – January 13, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever they do, PLEASE don’t make Laura a victim again

Comment by Irene – January 8, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed :-) She does not need to a victim..

Comment by Maddie Mae – January 8, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. SO glad Genie is returning! I wonder if Stefan Casadine will return with her now that Stephen Nichols has been released from Y&R. Could that explain her absence?

Comment by Ella – January 8, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know it doesn’t mean anything on a soap, but isn’t Stefan dead?

Comment by heyang – January 13, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering they have done horrible things to the character the past times she has come back, I hope they make it good. Poor Genie Francis has had to play Laura like she’s pathetic.

Comment by Amber – January 8, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more. Years ago GH made me grow tired of Laura because of the horrific storyline they gave her. I was glad she and Luke divorcedG (again, because of the horrible way GH treated her years ago and ruined her character, IMO) I love Luke with Tracy…but GH has done a complete turn around under the new guy and is back to being the GH that I know and love and is ‘must see’ every day! I have faith they can redeem Laura and maybe even reunite her with Luke. (and just because I’m a paranoid person, I want to stress that I’m not trashing Genie Francis…I’m trashing the mess GH caused with the Laura character years ago)

Comment by stef24 – January 8, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luke, Laura, Robert, Anna, Holly – man – and maybe Frisco too? All we need is Blackie (John Stamos) and it’s really a party!!!!

Comment by sladewilson – January 8, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heck, why didn’t you just throw in Jeff Webber (aka Richard Dean Anderson) or Jackie Templeton (aka, Demi Moore)?

Comment by Bob – January 9, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Genie said she didn’t want to play Laura as a victim anymore. Hopefully, she’s coming back because they plan to do better for her this time.

Comment by Amanda – January 8, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!

Comment by Mizz O – January 8, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow General Hospital is firing on all jets! If only CBS would have done the same maybe the longest running shows As The World Turns and Guiding Light could have been saved.

Comment by paul – January 8, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of this is for GH’s 50th anniversary. I don’t think all of the vets are long term. Even without the return of certain vets,GH has gotten a lot better since the former OLTL production staff took control.

Comment by heyang – January 13, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just love seeing everyone coming back. Looking forward to a great story line.

Comment by Santa – January 8, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving General Hospital and I can’t even say how wonderful of a job Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini have done to GH! They turned this show around from me not caring if I missed an episode to must-see TV. I think they’ll give Genie a good story for Laura.

Comment by Jessica – January 8, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely thrilling!!

Comment by Ziyal – January 8, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy that Genie Francis is returning to GH.I’m thinking her return has to do with Lulu somehow.I’m sure the show’s writers will find a reasonable explanation for why Laura stayed away.I also can’t wait to see her meet Dante and find out he’s Sonny’s son.

Comment by andrew hass – January 8, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!

Comment by N – January 8, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • haven’t watch in a couple of years but i will be tuning in for this. LAURA!!!!!

(now if only they’d bring Vanessa Marcil back as Brenda, I’ll be completely happy)

Comment by Shari – January 8, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh! Vanessa Marcil is so overrated, and the character of Brenda is played out. Leave her wherever she is.

Comment by Abe Froman – January 9, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited and I just can’t hide it! The return of Genie Francis as Laura to GH is the best news ever and I’m so glad she’s not with Luke! Genie needs a man like SN(Stefan Cassadine)hint hint to follow her back home. They need to fight that bad Helena together!TG has recently said he likes playing a dark Luke and wasn’t very thrilled to have a L&L reunion. That’s fine with me,Laura and Stefan have always been my favorite couple ever and SN is a free agent so what better gift to fans then both returning and causing havoc for everyone:) Please let the powers that be be listening and have both return for a long term run not just for a short one:)

Comment by Laura – January 8, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well there was A LOT OF OFF between 1981 – 2008. The Bare Essence show, DAYS, AMC, Then pretty regular between 93-02 (except for big gaps for her pregnancies). Then she left came back, left and came back. Hopefully, this new regime, which seems to have done an amazing turnaround, can fold her into a great story and keep her. She was used horribly on Y&R.

Comment by Chicago Dan – January 8, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to have Genie Francis back. Hope she stay around a while. Y&R are interchanging their people.

Comment by Crystal – January 8, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Scotty too – at least for GH’s 50th

Comment by Carol – January 9, 2013 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thumping bore.

Comment by MLO – January 9, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One more Luke and Laura adventure for GH’s 50th anniversary!

Comment by Abe Froman – January 9, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, Love, LOVE that Laura is coming back…please keep her and do her justice! Bring back Brenda, and make her a strong person also! I would love to see Robin come back too! Good job RC and FV!!! Keep going strong!!!! :)

Comment by Debbie – January 9, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH! AND I FORGOT TO ADD SCOTTIE!!! NOW THAT THEY WILL HAVE LAURA AND LUCY….BRING BACK STEPHAN TOO!!! Oh what a tangled web they can weave with those peeps!!!! :)

Comment by Debbie – January 9, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Brenda with a good storyline to GH

Comment by Jerri – January 13, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving to to see some good stuff for Laura. Loving the Scott and Laura hints but I would love some Stefan too if they can make up some reason why he’s not dead. Which of course they can, but at the moment I will take what I can get as long as Laura has a powerful storyline. I am actually in the minority and am not a Luke and Laura fan. (used to be before he made he feel bad about Nikolas.)

Ha I got an idea…. Does she know about Ethan? Ha ha.

Comment by WingsStef – January 16, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG…can’t believe I have been watching this for 50 years!!! Love the way they have brought back the “oldies”…

Comment by Cathy – January 17, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear ya Cathy…my earliest memory of GH is watching with my grandmother, at around age 5!!
      Black & white tv, Jessie, Lucille, Steve, Audrey…and my grandmother chastising the cheating men out loud to the tv screen…”You s.o.b.!!” Gram, watching “her stories.” Then I didn’t watch again until my early 20′s when one day L&L caught my attention up at Beecher’s Corners during the height of their big escape adventure that “made them”…I was swept into it again from then on. Some of my favorite years were the 90′s when Clare Labine & her team did such incredible writing…when L&L returned to town with Lucky, and Tony put his hand over BJ’s heart as she took her final breath…all those award-worthy scenes were from then.
      But in recent years I finally gave up watching, because “the real GH” had sadly all but disappeared. GH was ripe for the taking, though. I was SO glad to hear that FINALLY the old regime had gone!!! I love the new producer and head writer for “getting it”, and for loving the old GH so many fans wanted back for years. So glad it happened…..I just suspected GH would die a sad death like the other soaps, unrecognizable…but am pleasantly surprised of this turn-around, and the only downside is I’ve now lost those 5 hours more a week I’d gained. ;-)

About Genie….over the moon happy about her LONG overdue RESPECTFUL return!
      Welcome Home, Laura….about time. Monday…can’t wait!! :)

Comment by Amy – February 9, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand Luke and don’t ever want to see him hook up with Laura again. All she ever did was cry over him,beg him to not leave her and act ridiculously childlike around him. Genie even said she couldn’t stand Laura that way. Bring Stefan Cassadine/SN the only real man I ever thought was right for Laura back on,he always told her to believe in herself,loved her children,treated her like a real woman and loved her unconditionally and never would of left her. Stefan put Laura first and Luke always put himself first. Hated the rape storyline and the fact they’ve made it joke and the fact GF is always used as a prop for AG,he always has to be front and center in everything she does. Give me a break and have her move on already,the Luke/Scotty garbage is so old I can’t swallow it anymore. Scotty whines for Laura and Laura whines for Luke and Luke just whines for himself – Yuck!!

Comment by Tori – February 13, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see Stefan and Laura again. They were great. Though, I would take Laura and Scotty too. I used to like Luke & Laura but not after he yelled at her about Nikolas. Hey, I hope Laura lets Luke have it about Ethan (but at the same time not take out on Ethan like Luke did with Nikolas). And then find an excuse to make Stefan not dead.

Comment by WingsStef – February 13, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched gh for years until recently. I’m glad they are bringing people back from when I used to watch but I hate the vampire storyline.

Comment by Cathy – February 19, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gh have a big huge heart and bring brenda barrett back asap

Comment by Rhonda Thompson – December 10, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post