Ratings: Mentalist Hits High, Once and Good Wife Flat, Revenge Dips, ABC Sitcoms Suffer

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Days of Wine and RosesThe Mentalist saw big numbers with its winter premiere, rising some 30 percent to hit season highs of 10.73 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating.

Leading into that, The Good Wife (10 mil/1.8) was flat versus its last fresh outing.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap — Plus: Burning Questions Answered!

Over on ABC, Once Upon a Time (9 mil/3.1) was flat, Revenge (7 mil/2.3) dipped 9 percent and a tenth, and ABC’s new Sunday bonus serving of Happy Endings (2.6 mil/1.0) and Apartment 23 (2.23 mil/0.9) was down from the sitcoms’ previous Tuesday airings as well as down sharply from 666 Park Avenue‘s most recent tallies (4 mil/1.3).

Reminder that no one will read: Happy Endings and Apt. 23 will still air new episodes on Tuesdays.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: A Return to Red-Sharpied Form

NBC’s The Biggest Loser returned to 7 million total viewers and a 3.0 rating (up 21 percent from its previous premiere). Buoyed by a strong football lead-in, Fox’s The Simpsons (9.7 mil/4.4), Bob’s Burgers (6.5 mil/3.1), Family Guy (7. mil/3.5) and American Dad (5.6 mil/2.8) all surged, with Bob’s Burgers hitting its best numbers since its series debut two years ago.

RELATED | Downton Abbey Season 3 Premiere Draws Record 7.9 Million Viewers

The Mentalist drew Sunday’s largest primetime non-sports audience, The Simpsons the best demo number.

Comments (51)

• Well Revenge isn’t exactly a good lead-in for comedies, so I don’t know what ABC could have possibly been thinking. Sunday is a drama night.

Comment by ToddM – January 7, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Please give me my final three doses of 666 Park Avenue…was it worth it ABC, really to keep these for the summer? At least burn them off on some darned Saturday

Comment by Eli – January 7, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES YES YES!! I WANT TO SEE 666 PARK AVENUE!!!!!!!!

Comment by suzie – January 8, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for “Once Upon A Time,” but…sigh…it seems like the beginning of the end for “Happy Endings,” as well as “Don’t Trust The B—.” Sad, because both are really funny shows. “Happy Endings” is one of the few sitcoms out there that actually makes me laugh. I wish more people watched it.

Comment by Brandon Moore (@indigo_15) – January 7, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed about Happy Endings. I had no idea the episode was on, but luckily my DVR caught it and recorded it. This show is killer, and it’s like nobody knows it. What a bummer.

Comment by Brandon – January 7, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I want to know is what kind of numbers “Downton Abbey” pulled in.

Comment by meem – January 7, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here!

Comment by Ella – January 7, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • another article reported 7.9 viewers.

Comment by duranmom – January 8, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had no idea Happy Endings was on either, and I never miss it. Poor marketing, ABC. Not a good sign for renewal.

Comment by Elf – January 7, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well its a burnoff anyways, sooo?

Comment by yankeesrj12 – January 7, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Airing sitcoms in the 10 PM slot was a big mistake for ABC. So I’m not surprised at all. The network should had kept 666 Park Avenue for at least the full season or replace it with another drama. Because I think their decision to air comedies in that hour is going to hurt Revenge as well.

Comment by Larry – January 7, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT is flat period. This season is just blah. Taped it and Revenge.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 7, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya, OUAT was so bad this season I dropped out 8 or 10 weeks ago.

Comment by Alienate – January 7, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m still watching because I am interested in some of the story lines but the whole fighting over Henry is old and the “adventure” of Snow and Emma was awful. Maybe now that they are back in StoryBrooke it will get good again. We shall see.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 7, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The b in apt 23 and happy endings are suffering from cougar town syndrome , abc has giving it crappy support this year , Subergatory is next victim

Comment by Joe – January 7, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Suburgatory will be fine.

Comment by yankeesrj12 – January 7, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I very much agree that Happy Endings is suffering the same plight as Cougartown, unfortunately I’m not sure how many sitcoms tbs is willing to rescue. IMO Happy Endings is the funniest show on tv right now. I love everything about it. But to disagree, also unfortunately, I think abc has given the show some hype and it was well advertised about the doubling up on new episodes using Sunday nights. I just think anyone starting to watch it now might think the humor is too fast and too much. I could see how it would be hard to pick up new viewers, but anyone that has stopped watching it by choice…for shame. Your life clearly isnt as much fun anymore.

Comment by schu – January 7, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I stopped watching it by choice and my life is just fine so far :) I can’t stand those sort of dry comedies a la new girl, to each their own I guess. I much prefer Big Bang thoery, whitney, rules of engagement style sitcoms, so I can see how they have a hard time picking up new viewers. That being said, I do hope they continue with the show since I do like the actors in it.

Comment by Jo – January 7, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh God, that post was painful to read, you are the reason we cannot have nice things, I’m fine if you stopped watching HE, but to say or infer that BBT, Whitney(eww), and Rules of Engagement are superior is a crime against good television. HE is one of the greatest comedies on television, and is so much better than all the comedies you listed.

Comment by Mike – January 7, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The characters on Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B are exaggerated caricatures, I can see why people might stay away from them. The situations these characters are in are again mostly outlandish and surreal and again, I understand why some people don’t like this kind of thing.

Don’t misunderstand me I like HE (and Apt23) but to say it is the greatest comedy on television is a bit to much

And btw get out of the internet’s collective a$$ people and give Whitney the chance it deserves, this show has become quite funny

Comment by Eli – January 7, 2013 12:36 PM PDT
          • When people abbreviate Happy Endings into an acronym, for a moment I always think people are talking about God.

Comment by TigerNightmare – January 7, 2013 12:40 PM PDT
        • By “dry comedies” I would have to assume you mean single-camera by your list of likes that are all multi-camera shows. I like Big Bang as much as the next person, but no one should hold the way Happy Endings is shot against it’s comedic value of entertainment. It is outlandish and I could see sometimes a bit too ridiculous for some, but I think everyone could use an extra half hour of that in his/her life every week, oh excuse me, an hour of it now! I really hope it survives to see a fourth season!

Comment by schu – January 7, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time & Revenge were awesome last night! Perhaps people DVR’d them and watched Downton Abbey?

Comment by Ella – January 7, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad once held their own against nbc’s biggest loser premier.

Comment by Loki – January 7, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TGW was so freaking amazing last night I can’t even believe it! I think a lot of people have become disinterested because of the Nick storyline, but the writers really redeemed themselves with 4×11. I’m actually excited about the show again and just hope they keep delivering :D
    And TM did so well because (let’s be honest) it’s the big Lisbon-centric storyline everyone’s been waiting for. I just hope tptb will actually *let* her shine without having Jane swoop in and fix/solve everything.

Comment by Saint Alicia – January 7, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mentalist did good because started at a normal time. If a character the audience decide then because ‘Where is Carmine O’Brian?’ had the worst rating to date if the center was Lisbon?

I wonder why Lisbon fans are so so so arrogant.

The Good Wife i hope wil be cancel

Comment by Vanpel – January 7, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You like the Psych ripoff The Mentalist, Vanpel, then good for you. I hope that you can continue to watch it. See? I don’t wish for its cancellation. I happen to like the well-written, well-acted and truly intelligent series The Good Wife. I would also like to see it continue. I guess this makes me unselfish as opposed to…say…you.

Comment by Tania – January 7, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well f*ck you very much but TVLine has TGW listed as “a sure thing” to be renewed, so keep hoping.
        p.s. Van Pelt and Jane will never be a thing

Comment by Saint Alicia – January 7, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for The Mentalist, next week’s episode looks awesome too!

Comment by Cynthia – January 7, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The comedies did just as bad on Tuesdays, and this time they had a lead in. Both duds will be cancelled in no time.

Comment by yankeesrj12 – January 7, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For The Mentalist to have before ‘The Good Wife’ is a major drag. The Mentalist has the worst time of the week. I suggest putting ‘The Mentalist’ on schedule ‘The Good Wife’ or better in time of ‘Elementary’.

Comment by VanM – January 7, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad about Happy Endings but very happy for Bob’s Burgers. It was an amazing episode and I’m really glad it’s finding an audience.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – January 7, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s Happy Endings was probably THE funniest half hour of TV this season … I don’t like the “burn-off” feeling this two-airings-per-week thing has to it.

Comment by Dave – January 7, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im glad for two eps of Happy Endings a week, but I think it could work better if they reversed the schedule a bit. Happy Endings and Don’t trust the B- at 8, then Once at 9 and Revenge at 10. Sitcoms airing after dramas just feels weird.

Comment by Chris – January 7, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It makes more sense if Once was @ 8, then the comedies, and finish with Revenge @ 10. Once has to be on earlier because kids watch the show as well.

Comment by Diva – January 7, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONCE UPON A TIME was amazing last night. I think this season has really hit its stride.

Comment by Bobby Milford – January 7, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it possible that ABC is so confident in the sitcoms that they thought they would do well on Sunday night? If it is a fail then let them thrive on thier original night. They are still in the top of the sit coms on TV right now.

Comment by Gerald – January 7, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Were those new eps of Happy Endings and B in 23? I love those shows, but I had NO idea they had episodes on Sundays now.

Comment by KSM – January 7, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks, Matt! Glad “The Mentalist” did well. It was a good one last night. Lisbon just rocked. She was beautiful, fierce, good and compassionate and strong – just the way I like her. The way they hid Amanda’s baby bump this episode had to be the most inventive yet. Cusick plays a good bad guy. And I liked that Jane showed he actually cared about Lisbon getting all caught up in this mess. So happy my favorite team is back. :)

Comment by Savannah – January 7, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew about the new episode of HE, but I completely forgot to watch. I’m sure this happened to quite a few people who aren’t used to this new schedule yet, which could have been part of the reason why there were so few viewers last night. Besides, non-animated comedies on Sunday? Crazy! I like my sitcoms to be where they belong: on a weekday.

Comment by Eric – January 7, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh ditto, I even saw on TVLine on Sunday morning that Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B would be on, and I STILL forgot they were on by the time primetime rolled around. Thankfully my trusty DVR didn’t fail me and I found the episodes on there later that night.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 7, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lucky! My DVR completely missed both episodes. I can still catch them online thou, so it’ll all be fine.

Comment by Eric – January 7, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Matt, does this mean Don’t Trust the B and Happy Endings will be reruns on Tuesdays?……Just kidding!! I couldn’t resist the setup. I loved both shows last night, and I’m terrified over how they’re burning them off two nights a week. It just can’t be a good sign for renewal at all. I was kind of meh on the Fox shows, and meh on OUAT, but I might have been distracted because my Seahawks party was still going on at my house while I was watching those shows. The Good Wife was all right. Didn’t see Revenge yet. I’m getting really stoked for Shameless to come back next week, and ooooooh, the Golden Globes are on next Sunday too! I’m calling Girls, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and Louis C.K. as our comedy winners right now. I’m doing it! Drama winners will be all about Homeland.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 7, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I spent yesterday and evening watching the Shameless marathon of last season, it was even better the second time around :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 7, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is TGW recap?

Comment by forwarddad – January 7, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The numbers for Downton Abbey are not important it gets MASSIVE numbers in UK thus ITV will and have kept renewing it
    Its genius and us Brits adore it

I love Revenge and Once Upon A Time there awesome Revenge just started today season 2 in UK :-)

Comment by Rebecca Hindle – January 7, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that Revenge has been in the 7 million for three weeks in a row. Come on people last night the show went back to it’s roots, lets go back to 8 million viewers.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – January 7, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO @ “Reminder that no one will read”

Comment by Robert E. Holley (@ROBatGraveShift) – January 7, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed about Happy Endings poor ratings. I love the show, but it’s just not made to uphold the big networks expectations. However i WAS surprised by a season 3 pickup, so maybe a fourth season isn’t too far-fetched…? It kind of reminds me of Always Sunny- a unique type of comedy that doesn’t necessarily attract a wide audience, but the audience it does have is very loyal. Of course Sunny’s on FX which is why it just finished its 8th season…

Comment by megs – January 7, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings is my favorite comedy after Cougar Town. I hope it makes it to season 4.

Comment by Mikael – January 8, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post