Up All Night Creator Exits Series Prior to Revamp

Up All Night Season 2 SpoilersMore change is afoot at Up All Night.

Series creator Emily Spivey is departing the NBC comedy, which is undergoing a creative revamp, per our sister site Deadline.

VIDEO | Globes Hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Riff on Daniel Day-Lewis’ Avatar, Angelina Jolie and More

As reported in October, the single-camera series is switching to the more traditional multi-cam format (à la The Big Bang Theory) following a three-month winter hiatus. Production on five additional episodes shot in front of a live studio audience will begin in February, bringing Season 2’s total to 16 half-hours.

RELATED | Adam Levine to Host Saturday Night Live

Spivey’s exit comes on the heels of showrunner Tucker Cawley (Everybody Loves Raymond) being replaced by Nurse Jackie co-creator Linda Wallem for the rest of the series’ sophomore run. (Cawley will join The Mindy Project as a consulting producer, as part of his deal with Universal Television.)

1. Ross says:

This series finally starts airing here in the UK on Monday night, but I have a feeling I shouldn’t get attached…

• Eli says:

I think this tweak just might work…. A lot of these multi cam sitcoms forget to insert jokes into their scripts and rely on a vaguely humorous situation, now with an audience they can perhaps test their dialogue and make sure they garner laughter…they have loveable characters and great comedians on this show, perhaps now it will be funny

2. Emily S says:

I like this show, but wow, they may as well go ahead and cancel it. Too many changes and tweaks.

• Christine says:

I loved this show last season…The Eva Show as a back drop was fantastic..they shouldn’t have changed Eva’s character either, they made her too nice instead of what she started out as “self centered” but quirky and funny! Also they added a new character, Sean Hayes, who has added nothing to the show. Christina and Will are great together. It was one of our favourite shows and are vbery disappointed they have been monkeying around with it.

• Lindsay says:

You are so right! Finally a show that I related to in some fashion and they are tinkering so much it’s losing its charm. Bring back the Ava show and keep Ava crazy but sweet!

3. Midori004 says:

Just cancel the damn thing!

4. darcywilson says:

Feel sorry for the creator in a way… NBC has really screwed her over with this show. I loved the first season and wish it had just continued on that path…

• Billy says:

I agree I really liked it last season but this season has been blah…they should have kept out the way it was…

5. Michelle says:

What’s next? Write out one of the main characters? NBC should just cancel this show already. I don’t think they have any idea what they want this show to be and in the meantime, too much talent is being wasted.

• Ari says:

At first I thought that too but the more I thought about it the more I think this *might* work out. The stars of this show have found their greatest success on shows with live audiences, maybe the stars will align and it’ll work out. Don’t get me wrong, I still despise shows that have the stupid audience laugh in the background but I think this could work.

6. Rob says:

I really liked the first season. I was eh about the second. But I’d be surprised if this doesn’t end up being a giant disaster which is a shame because the cast is talented and the writing is really good too. There’s a totally different tone for a multi cam vs a single cam and that’s just not the tone of the show. It sucks that NBC is trying to push its multi cam agenda down our throats.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

So I take it the creator wasn’t happy with the change. I really can’t see how them doing it as a multi-cam show is going to work. I’m guessing most of the few loyal viewers they had will hate it and drop the show, so having this be a success means finding an entire new audience, which will be difficult to accomplish. I just can’t see this being funny or working out, I dunno. Will Arnett on a multi-cam show doesn’t make sense to me. His humor is too subtle for something like that.

8. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Adding in a live audience and going to multi-cam is going to make this show too weird. It works on shows like BBT where everything is obviously done on a set, but this show obviously isn’t filmed that way (lots of outdoor shots). These changes are going to make the show look completely different and that’s not something I think people will accept this far into it.

9. I feel like someone’s trying to make this show worse on purpose. Someone told Sean Hayes to be as neurotic as Jack without any of the likability and 50 times as annoying.

10. DeeKayTee says:

I loved this show last season. Don’t really like any of the changes they made this seaon. I think the Ava show was a good way to break up the home and work life which is what I thought the show was about anyway, balancing the two. Now with all the new characters with nothing to do its just subpar. I really hope that all of these changes are for the better and the show begins to find its footing because I love the cast!

11. Kevin Measimer says:

The switch may in part involve some cost cutting. The NBC Universal bean counters again. Too many “reality” and news magazine shows. Changing formats mid season is odd. Perhaps they should have canceled the rest of the season and picked up with the changes in the fall. It’s pretty much making it a new show but keeping some familiarity so some audience will follow.

12. Elly says:

I think they are tweaking it so much because of the stars. They know they have 4 great stars that have great potential with the right material. Now they’re just doing whatever they can to provide their definition of it.

13. Kenny says:

I loved both seasons so far, but i wish the eva show was still part of the show…so many storylines

14. Cory says:

NBC, you’re completely disgusting. Why would you not just cancel it? Turning a single-camera comedy into a multi-camera comedy is literally the most heinous and disgusting thing you could do to a TV show. Ugh. I don’t even like the show that much, but this really, really really annoys me.

15. Donnie says:

Horrible show. Will Arnett is unwatchable. I feel
    Bad for Christina Applegate. She’s talented and deserves better. Just cancel and let it die.

16. cjeffery7 says:

nail in the coffin much?? *whydidyouchangethingsfromseasonone?!*

17. Eric says:

I enjoy this show. Or should I say, enjoyed. It’s already done, and we’re only two seasons in. Cancel it and spare the fans any additional pain.

18. CJ says:

Why did they have to “tweak” it at all? i loved having the Ava Show as a workplace backdrop. Canceling that part of the show and changing it to the new format has made it unbearable and unfunny. Can’t they just “Dallas” the whole season and have Regan wake up and it was all a dream. I will watch the new episodes but I am not hopeful.

19. Gary says:

Remember Happy Days did this years ago and it became a success

• Rob says:

Happy Days did it without as many changes because single cam Happy Days still had a laugh track so even though they changed formats, it didn’t seem like a big change. Whereas Up All Night is just a standard single cam that’s not based on blunt jokes but rather a tone in the writing. Totally different. But good memory about Happy Days. I forgot they did a format change.

20. John Moshier says:

let it die there just isnt any chemistry they look like they just tolerate each other

• gataroo says:

I completely agree. Cancel it and let them find other projects. I want to like this show, and watch it, but it is all kinds of terrible. I like each of the stars, I just want to watch them on anything else.

21. Dr. Bombay says:

Maybe cancel it in time for Christina Applegate to play the othere mom in the new Sarah Michelle Gellar sitcom….

22. Jared says:

Up All Night is doing all this revamping to only get cancelled in May. Not sure why NBC is even bothering. Nobody cares about this show and the ratings clearly indicate that.

23. Babybop says:

As funny as this show is… I can’t help but think of the episode of “Scrubs” where they had an episode pretending it was a sitcom. With the laugh track added in and everything… It was just weird. This show was never meant to be multi-cam. I don’t know why they felt they had to change anything, because the show was much better last season.

24. thiagofls says:

It may be harsh, but at least they’re finally addressing the show’s main problem: its lazy, unfunny writing. It seemed to me that Spivey and the other writers thought the situations they wrote were so inherently funny that they didn’t even bother writing actual jokes. You know, lines that make people laugh. Out loud, even. Shooting their scripts in front of a live studio audience would only make the problem more obvious.