Exclusive

Exclusive: Sarah Michelle Gellar Plotting TV Return – and There's a Buffy Connection!

smgSarah Michelle Gellar may be back on the small screen next fall as the star of a new half-hour comedy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The potential (and currently untitled) series, which is being developed at 20th Century Fox TV (home of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), chronicles the hijinks parents get into while their kids are not at home.

Gellar would play the wife/mother.

PHOTOS | Pilot Season Preview: The 36 Most Wanted Actors and Actresses

The actress — who attempted a TV comeback last year with The CW’s now-cancelled Ringer — became interested in the project after reading the Shepard Boucher-penned spec script. (Boucher’s credits include serving as a staff writer on the TBS comedy Men at Work.)

The project will be shopped to the major networks in the coming weeks.

RENEWAL SCORECARD | What Will Return Next Season? What Will Be Cancelled?

David Hemingson (How I Met Your Mother, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) and Margaret Riley (Love and Other Drugs) are attached as exec producers.

A 20th rep declined to comment for this story.

Thoughts? Excited to see Gellar take a stab at a sitcom? Thoughts on who could/should play her TV hubby? Hit the comments!

1. Mary says:

I would love to have Nicholas Brendon play her husband so it could be a Buffy reunion. But I really just want this show to succeed b/c SMG is so talented.

2. can’t wait! SMG’s comedic timing was always amazing in Buffy.

3. CK says:

if it isn’t someone from the buffyverse – my vote is Zachary Levi. :)

4. kj says:

Just like her movie career it will flop. She looks as good as her post buffy career in that picture. Oh well at least she’ll always have Buffy conventions.

5. GeoDiva says:

I found another Buffy connection….They’re both TV shows.

6. C.C. says:

I love SMG, but I never watch sitcoms no matter who is in them. So, I don’t know if I’d want to watch, but that’s just me. I know many people prefer the half hour comedy shows to the hour long dramas.

7. Robyn says:

Her spouse on the show will be a crossdresser? (TV Hubby)
    Wow! That is news.

8. Leyla Mir says:

Wonder if SMG is pissed that her Cruel Intentions co-star Reese Witherspoon had a huge movie career, guested on F*R*I*E*N*D*S and won the coveted Oscar while SMG was stuck on TV. LOL.

9. Reward says:

I want SMG in American Horror Story 3. So poetic. So perfect.

10. i will be waiting for this series , also she have to do somme horror movies

11. Scott says:

would someone shake this beauty by the shouldersand inform her we want Buffy back damnit!…

12. Scarlett.H says:

I would tune in if James Marsters plays the husband :)

13. Jason says:

Just get Joss and let’s get a Buffy: The Movie onto the big screen. It’s what fans want to see. Re-assemble the cast, get a good script, bring Boreanaz, and Landau and Marsters…the whole shebang…on-board. This could be huge.

14. JAMES says:

A remake of “Honey West” would be a better idea.

15. Andrew mcgarvey says:

Didn’t really read the article but smg is still gorgeous so I’ll watch.

16. carlynn says:

I know as an actress she would love to be able to distance herself from Buffy, but I would love a tv show, or special of some sort that showed us what Buffy and the gang are doing now. It is my all time favorite show, and to catch up with the characters because they were so developed, would be great to see where life took them.

17. Ruth says:

I would love to get the Buffy gang back together and about 4 times a year do a TV movie. They could update it, put it on the CW network, and I bet it would be one of their highest rated events. It would also give the actors plenty of time to do other projects. The show still has such a strong fan base, conventions, etc., I just can’t believe it wouldn’t work. If her new comedy is one of those with a live studio audience that laughs after every comment, it will probably last less than 13 episodes.

18. bobbie says:

I really hope for a good good good role for SMG. Not just a role. Something deserving of her talents.

19. Josh says:

Hijinks that parents get into when their kids aren’t home? So it’s a show about getting a chance to catch up on sleep, TV or sex?

20. Jen says:

a better and more tangible Buffy connection would be that she was cast in Joss Whedon’s Avengers tv show. That would have been awesome!!

21. dlraetz says:

While my fantasy is that SMG would be The Mother in HIMYM, I think that SMG should consider a paranormal show of some kind. They’re popular as can be and it’d be a slam dunk–SMG as a vampire, a werewolf, an evil witch, a good wiccan, a ghost or a zombi (or fighting any of the above) would bring out a legion of Buffy fans

22. Jenna says:

Any one who doesn’t like smg is clearly a Nazi

I’m really in to the idea of smg being in a sitcom type thing

but I think that saying that this project is conected to Buffy cuz of the network is over doing it a bit it’s like me saying I’m connected to smg cuz everybody poops

Lol I know what we did 9 months ago I like that :-D

23. Cathy says:

I loved RINGER so I’m excited to see what this show is about.

24. stephanie says:

JAMES MARSTERS! It’d be kinda weird but I just want them to be together again.. lol.

25. bjacks says:

SMG would be a terrific addition to How I met your Mother! As Ted’s mystery wife! She is blonde! And would have the chance to work with Alyson again, they were great together! And she can prove to all those naysayers that she can do prime time comedy. But I think when Ted’s wife is finally not a mystery the show will come to an end. Unless! They change it up for a season to “her” side of the story and all of her near misses of meeting “How I met your Father” lol!!! Do you hear that Carter Bays and Craig Thomas? Came from me first! Lol

• bjacks says:

Forgot to add…Otherwise it would just be great to see her on TV again. I miss Ringer. James “spike” would be a nice hubby – good chemistry as well as her real hubby.

26. becky says:

Omgoodness!!!! There are no words to describe how happy this show (WITH SMG of course) getting picked up would make me!!!! I can’t wait to watch it!!!! SMG is awesome at doing comedy, she did it practicaly on a weekly basis on Buffy, though not a strict comedy there was definitely comedy throughout the serise! I’d love for Freddie or omg James ro play the husband that’d be freaking awesome!!! And to have any old cast members pop up wold be incredibly pleasing (I especially like the idea of Tom Lenk or James Marsters, also Emma Caulfield would be great!)

27. Adnen says:

Here is your Buffy connection : Alysson Hannigan

Sarah is joining a sitcom. Half hour. She will play the Mother.

It’s a Fox show. How I met your Mother is too. My guess is they are making LIKE Sarah is on a new show when she will top secretly be cast to be the Mother in how I met your mother. The mother reveal on this show HAS to be a surprise. I think they’ll do a bus station set identical to the one on the HIMYM season eight premiere. And once the season finale will air they’ll announce Sarah is joining HIMYM next season.

Long shot ? I think it is possible.

28. Eric says:

I’m excited to see any SMG show!