Exclusive: Sarah Michelle Gellar Plotting TV Return – and There's a Buffy Connection!

smgSarah Michelle Gellar may be back on the small screen next fall as the star of a new half-hour comedy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The potential (and currently untitled) series, which is being developed at 20th Century Fox TV (home of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), chronicles the hijinks parents get into while their kids are not at home.

Gellar would play the wife/mother.

PHOTOS | Pilot Season Preview: The 36 Most Wanted Actors and Actresses

The actress — who attempted a TV comeback last year with The CW’s now-cancelled Ringer — became interested in the project after reading the Shepard Boucher-penned spec script. (Boucher’s credits include serving as a staff writer on the TBS comedy Men at Work.)

The project will be shopped to the major networks in the coming weeks.

RENEWAL SCORECARD | What Will Return Next Season? What Will Be Cancelled?

David Hemingson (How I Met Your Mother, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) and Margaret Riley (Love and Other Drugs) are attached as exec producers.

A 20th rep declined to comment for this story.

Thoughts? Excited to see Gellar take a stab at a sitcom? Thoughts on who could/should play her TV hubby? Hit the comments!

Comments (142)

• I would love to have Nicholas Brendon play her husband so it could be a Buffy reunion. But I really just want this show to succeed b/c SMG is so talented.

Comment by Mary – January 5, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t wait! SMG’s comedic timing was always amazing in Buffy.

Comment by Simoun Salinas – January 5, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if it isn’t someone from the buffyverse – my vote is Zachary Levi. :)

Comment by CK – January 5, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I second that! Or Ethan Embry.

Comment by Jinjeon – January 6, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zachary Levi would be great

Comment by Mary – January 6, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like her movie career it will flop. She looks as good as her post buffy career in that picture. Oh well at least she’ll always have Buffy conventions.

Comment by kj – January 5, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found another Buffy connection….They’re both TV shows.

Comment by GeoDiva – January 5, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love SMG, but I never watch sitcoms no matter who is in them. So, I don’t know if I’d want to watch, but that’s just me. I know many people prefer the half hour comedy shows to the hour long dramas.

Comment by C.C. – January 5, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her spouse on the show will be a crossdresser? (TV Hubby)
    Wow! That is news.

Comment by Robyn – January 6, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonder if SMG is pissed that her Cruel Intentions co-star Reese Witherspoon had a huge movie career, guested on F*R*I*E*N*D*S and won the coveted Oscar while SMG was stuck on TV. LOL.

Comment by Leyla Mir – January 6, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want SMG in American Horror Story 3. So poetic. So perfect.

Comment by Reward – January 6, 2013 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i will be waiting for this series , also she have to do somme horror movies

Comment by Yassine Loghmari – January 6, 2013 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would someone shake this beauty by the shouldersand inform her we want Buffy back damnit!…

Comment by Scott – January 6, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would tune in if James Marsters plays the husband :)

Comment by Scarlett.H – January 6, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just get Joss and let’s get a Buffy: The Movie onto the big screen. It’s what fans want to see. Re-assemble the cast, get a good script, bring Boreanaz, and Landau and Marsters…the whole shebang…on-board. This could be huge.

Comment by Jason – January 6, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A remake of “Honey West” would be a better idea.

Comment by JAMES – January 6, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t really read the article but smg is still gorgeous so I’ll watch.

Comment by Andrew mcgarvey – January 6, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know as an actress she would love to be able to distance herself from Buffy, but I would love a tv show, or special of some sort that showed us what Buffy and the gang are doing now. It is my all time favorite show, and to catch up with the characters because they were so developed, would be great to see where life took them.

Comment by carlynn – January 6, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to get the Buffy gang back together and about 4 times a year do a TV movie. They could update it, put it on the CW network, and I bet it would be one of their highest rated events. It would also give the actors plenty of time to do other projects. The show still has such a strong fan base, conventions, etc., I just can’t believe it wouldn’t work. If her new comedy is one of those with a live studio audience that laughs after every comment, it will probably last less than 13 episodes.

Comment by Ruth – January 6, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree with you. That would be worse than no role at all.

Comment by bobbie – January 6, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope for a good good good role for SMG. Not just a role. Something deserving of her talents.

Comment by bobbie – January 6, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hijinks that parents get into when their kids aren’t home? So it’s a show about getting a chance to catch up on sleep, TV or sex?

Comment by Josh – January 7, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a better and more tangible Buffy connection would be that she was cast in Joss Whedon’s Avengers tv show. That would have been awesome!!

Comment by Jen – January 7, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For some reason I don’t think that Sarah and SW are on good terms.

Comment by dlraetz – January 7, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While my fantasy is that SMG would be The Mother in HIMYM, I think that SMG should consider a paranormal show of some kind. They’re popular as can be and it’d be a slam dunk–SMG as a vampire, a werewolf, an evil witch, a good wiccan, a ghost or a zombi (or fighting any of the above) would bring out a legion of Buffy fans

Comment by dlraetz – January 7, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any one who doesn’t like smg is clearly a Nazi

I’m really in to the idea of smg being in a sitcom type thing

but I think that saying that this project is conected to Buffy cuz of the network is over doing it a bit it’s like me saying I’m connected to smg cuz everybody poops

Lol I know what we did 9 months ago I like that :-D

Comment by Jenna – January 8, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved RINGER so I’m excited to see what this show is about.

Comment by Cathy – January 9, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JAMES MARSTERS! It’d be kinda weird but I just want them to be together again.. lol.

Comment by stephanie – January 13, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SMG would be a terrific addition to How I met your Mother! As Ted’s mystery wife! She is blonde! And would have the chance to work with Alyson again, they were great together! And she can prove to all those naysayers that she can do prime time comedy. But I think when Ted’s wife is finally not a mystery the show will come to an end. Unless! They change it up for a season to “her” side of the story and all of her near misses of meeting “How I met your Father” lol!!! Do you hear that Carter Bays and Craig Thomas? Came from me first! Lol

Comment by bjacks – January 16, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forgot to add…Otherwise it would just be great to see her on TV again. I miss Ringer. James “spike” would be a nice hubby – good chemistry as well as her real hubby.

Comment by bjacks – January 16, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omgoodness!!!! There are no words to describe how happy this show (WITH SMG of course) getting picked up would make me!!!! I can’t wait to watch it!!!! SMG is awesome at doing comedy, she did it practicaly on a weekly basis on Buffy, though not a strict comedy there was definitely comedy throughout the serise! I’d love for Freddie or omg James ro play the husband that’d be freaking awesome!!! And to have any old cast members pop up wold be incredibly pleasing (I especially like the idea of Tom Lenk or James Marsters, also Emma Caulfield would be great!)

Comment by becky – January 20, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is your Buffy connection : Alysson Hannigan

Sarah is joining a sitcom. Half hour. She will play the Mother.

It’s a Fox show. How I met your Mother is too. My guess is they are making LIKE Sarah is on a new show when she will top secretly be cast to be the Mother in how I met your mother. The mother reveal on this show HAS to be a surprise. I think they’ll do a bus station set identical to the one on the HIMYM season eight premiere. And once the season finale will air they’ll announce Sarah is joining HIMYM next season.

Long shot ? I think it is possible.

Comment by Adnen – January 20, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be beyond awesome! i’d be soooo ok with it, only downside is, that would mean no new series :(

Comment by becky – March 10, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahahah That would be AMAZING!!

Comment by Ivan Delgado – March 12, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited to see any SMG show!

Comment by Eric – January 31, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post