2013 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Cancelled? What's on the Bubble?

blog_combo_1.4.13_finalTV’s queasy season has arrived! From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows are good to return next fall… and which will join Mob Doctor, Partners and Emily Owens, M.D. over at the MIA Network.

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the “bubble,” we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so we strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. As a reminder, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

And now, the Scorecard (use these links to jump to CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW).

ABC
666 Park Avenue: Officially cancelled.
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled.
Castle: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Dancing With the Stars: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Don’t Trust the B—– in Apartment 23: A long-shot. Unofficially canceled.
Family Tools: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s AnatomyA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
How To Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life): Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.
Last Man Standing: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Last Resort: Officially cancelled; series finale aired Jan. 24.
Malibu Country: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
The MiddleA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Modern FamilyA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Nashville: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Neighbors: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a TimeA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Private Practice: Officially cancelled; series finale aired Jan. 22.
Red Widow: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
RevengeA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Scandal: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Shark Tank: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Zero Hour: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR CBS!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewal Scorecards, Renewals

1. icywinter2 says:

I have a feeling that SVU will get renewed

• Laura says:

I agree but only because NBC is still struggling. They finally have a few genuine hits in Revolution and The Voice but most of there other shows are still in the ratings basement. SVU doesn’t get great ratings but they are steady.

2. Leah says:

Hoping that Ben & Kate, Happy Endings, and Don’t Trust the B, somehow make it through. Really glad you listed Parenthood as a sure thing!

3. Scot says:

The multi-page format is incredibly inconvenient compared to previous years. Please don’t let it become a trend going forward.

4. Rose Tyler says:

People! Start watching Ben and Kate! It is so wonderful and deserves another season. Please Mr and Mrs bosses at Fox, let it live.

5. Hmmmmm says:

how is REVOLUTION a sure thing?
    I see MAJOR ratings collapse ahead after a 3-month break
    networks are dumb!

• Alex says:

Um, because it got big ratings in the front half of the season? And because no one else has seen into the future with your no-doubt perfect accuracy and ensured that it will do so poorly upon its return that it won’t survive?

Yeah, networks are dumb. Sure. They rake in billions of dollars and see big profits because the people running them are so stupid.

• Diane says:

I worry about that too!

6. Hmmmmm says:

GO ON is a sure thing? Who watches that dreck?

• Alan says:

probably the same people who watch all of chuck lorre’s drek (two and a half men, the big bang theory and mike & molly, the three worst examples of a sitcom on tv at the minute)

• Spencer says:

I’m sorry, but Go On is better than Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, and Mike and Molly combined.
        I was just talking to a friend who said that almost every episode has made her laugh and cry within the half hour. None of the rest of those shows do that.

• Christie says:

In my opinion, Go On is much better than the garbage Chuck Lore puts out there.

• Caubu says:

Go On is GENIUS! Just like TBBT. Two and a half man is dirt and I’ve never taken time out of my day to watch Mike and Molly

7. Lani says:

Why is Castle not a sure thing? Unless I’ve missed something, haven’t the ratings been fairly consistent?

8. Hart of Dixie needs a season 3 and 4.

Happy Endings needs to be renewed

I hope Smash & Body of Proof do great in ratings to come back for season 3 and season 4 or at least for mid-season again.

90210 for me can get cancel this season, they still have enough time to wrap it up.

I am so happy to see Scandal get a sure thing but I still think Scandal would go great on sundays with Revenge.

9. Elle says:

Why don’t the CW pick up Don’t Trust The B In Apartment 23 they highlighted it as what they want to do with comedy at their upfronts. If they develop another half hour to go along with it then place it with Carrie Diaries it could be a successful night for the C dub. Happy Endings better get renewed!

• Alex says:

The CW airs only shows that it OWNS, because this enables this to make more money. If they pick up shows they don’t own, they lose out on DVD sales, foreign sales, iTunes sales, syndication money, and the like. So don’t look for them to pick up other networks’ failures. Plus, keep in mind that if a show does badly on a big network, it will probably do significantly worse on the CW.

• stand alone says:

Disagree big time..on the CW a 3 million nielson is a hit for them where as on cbs abc or nbc it is different..so you are way off there my friend

10. Kat says:

As long as THE MENTALIST is ok I’m ok! Love that show! Patrick is amazing. A “A safe bet” still worries me ):

11. Annie says:

I’d be devastated if Fox cancels Ben and Kate. It’s a great show. I know they already have a quirky friends comedy – New Girl – but that doesn’t mean there’s not room for both!

12. Jinjeon says:

I know this article is only about broadcast shows but what about Drop Dead Diva? I absolutely love this show and it’s weird we haven’t heard anything about its future yet. The ratings were good so I don’t know why it wasn’t renewed yet.

• Alan says:

nobody care. stop pimping your crap on here. im just amazed we dont have those annoying advert comments like most sites do

13. yvette says:

If happy endings gets cancelled, it WILL be war. My absolute favorite comedy.

14. Danielle H says:

Like many others, which surprises me, I want a Hart of Dixie renewal!!!

15. Valerie says:

I really wish you would add a page for cable programming on your scorecard. There are soooo many shows I watch now on USA that I would like to know their status as well.

16. Tanderix says:

What about American Horror Story, Alphas and Warehouse 13?
    I heard AHS is renewed, right?

17. Lily says:

Nashville: Could go either way? Are you kidding? NO WAY

18. Shari says:

the only show on here that I love that is iffy is Hart of Dixie. God I NEED that show to come back, it’s soooo charming and fun and adorable!!! 90210 reached 100, it can go now.

• WingsStef says:

An adorable, charming show indeed. I how they renew Hart of Dixie too! I never really got into 90210. I think I watched a couple episodes. I did not even realize they have been on longer enough to be 100 episodes already.

19. Boiler says:

If the CW chart at all accurate that is why people don’t watch!! HOD and nikita should be renewed for sure

• Puchi says:

I agree with you. I love Nikita! it’s a good show to watch on a Friday night. I hope they don’t cancel it. I was bummed when they canceled last year “The Secret Circle” it was an entertaining show too. I wish they would bring it back!

20. Kalli says:

Could you add TBS, TNT, and USA networks??? PLEASE?????

• Danyelle says:

I just typed this above — think about it, almost no cable shows are question marks. They’ve either been renewed already or are starting a new season so its too early to wonder.

• Lauren says:

Ausiello’s scorecard has never done cable. Not in the years I’ve been following him.

21. Solomon says:

Something is messed up here. Because Nikita is getting renewed. Lets face it the CW is not gonna cancel a show that is this close to syndication numbers.

22. Solomon says:

Noway Nikita is could go either way with being this close to syndication numbers. its a safe bet

23. Zorkel567 says:

Happy to see almost all of my shows are sure things- NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Glee (Hope this improves, though), Arrow, Revenge, Once Upon a TIme.

Hawaii Five-0 though is a sure thing too I thought I had heard, since it will reach the 88 episode mark is Season 4 for Syndication purposes.

Also hoping for pick-ups for S.H.I.E.L.D, Amazon, and NCIS: Red for the 2013-2014 season.. Hoping to see all three as “Sure things” this time next year. ;)

24. Dave says:

If NBC cancels Guys With Kids but keeps that trash heap Whitney around, I will not be pleased!

25. Bee says:

Sad that most Glee fans aren’t that excited about the show’s predicament. :P

• dan says:

Fox is probably giving Glee at least five seasons to make sure it gets picked up in syndication, then they’ll let it end. It needs to be put out of its misery soon. Graduating so many characters at the end of Season 3 was a huge mistake.

• Larry says:

You’re only stating personal opinion. Graduating the characters was probably the bravest smartest thing the show had done. It was already hard to explain 30-year old actors playing teenagers -the producers HAD to graduate them.

• Lily_Girl says:

Agreed – they could not stay in HS forever! The NY storyline is fantastic and I hope they build on it for the rest of S4 and all of S5 – unfortunately, McKinley needs to fade away. Keep the focus on Rachel, Kurt (and hopefully) Blaine, Santatna in S5 in NY!!

• Larry says:

Glee fans love to hate on the show. They’ve never been behind the show -but the characters on it. So not really surprised at all by their actions.

26. deb says:

I adore Hart of Dixie. Any show that goes up against NCIS struggles in ratings. Hopefully the powers that be will realize this and renew this feel good show.

27. Para says:

The good wife is a sure thing???? Seriously?

28. Patricia says:

OMG!!Bones is a sure thing?!?Thats more than Perfect!Hallelujaaa!!!

29. Margaret Zahn says:

I hope they give CSI one more season that way William Petersen can come back for a proper series finale

• MaryAnn says:

CSI is essentially a new and fresh show now with the new leads. It seems to have a new lease on life and an open-ended future.

30. Larry says:

I don’t see Hannibal on this list. I know it hasn’t started yet by NBC but has it been shelved?

• Alan says:

hasnt been given a debut date yet and it will probably debut later than the scope of this article, up to the end of may, hence why its not here

31. Sandy says:

OMG why is Glee a sure thing??? Let that show die.

32. Kris says:

What about “So You Think You Can Dance?”

33. Frank says:

Why is it that the good shows get canceled and the crap ones go on?

• Alan says:

because the crap shows can be watched by someone with the IQ of a cabbage while the decent shows require actually using your brain so that automatically cuts out the ever growing number of idiots from the pool of viewers, then the networks see this and start pushing the bottom of the barrel stuff because they have the higher ratings. its a vicious cycle which with the current set up will continue

34. dkamoy says:

Cult premiers on Feb 19th

35. PLP says:

I’m really surprised about “Nashville”. I would think it should be a sure thing. Got me to like country music and I thought I never would! Downloaded all of the songs!

• Mary says:

Because it’s been downhill since the pilot. Rayna becomes more annoying with every episode and we’re supposed to love her. Juliet is growing as a character but it’s not enough to carry the show. Scarlett and Gunnar need their own show, they are the best thing to come out of this train-wreck.

• Olive says:

Are you kidding me? Scarlett and Gunnar suck. I can’t even express how bad the actor playing Scarlett is and her facial expressions just kill me. Scarlett is a caricature of some southern girly innocent next-door type. Someone kill her character with fire. The show started to pick right back up in quality when Raynna and Juliet began to interact more. Those two characters are way more interesting than good old sweet Gunnar and stupid Scarlett. Rayna and Juliet going on tour together will defintely help the show get a season two pick up.

• Frank O. says:

I concur with Olive’s comments about the Scarlett/Gunnar subplot being the inferior spotlight on NASHVILLE’S radar. Scarlett (as played by Claire Bowden I believe) does have that annoying puppy dog facial expression and her raspy voice sometimes grates on the nerves. Still, when she and Gunnar make music together it’s definitely magical and intoxicating. I do like when the menacing musician Avery Barkley (Scarlett’s ex-boyfriend) is thrown into the mix to give their limping storyline some sensationalized meat to the bone. Sure, the show could use some more conflicting static between Rayna James and Juliet Barnes with Deacon Claybourne serving as the middleman that referees their continual strife. Sadly, the show doesn’t make more use of Rayna’s imposing father Wyatt (veteran Emmy-winning actor Powers Booth) as he seems wasted and vastly underused which is criminal in my humble opinion.

36. acumindeft says:

I’d like ‘Last Man Standing’ if they went back to the first year’s plan. Making him an “Archie Bunker” is not cool in this day and age…..Maybe they could find a son or two they had sent off to school!

37. PLP says:

Really would hate to see “Whitney” cancelled. It made some good changes this year with the supporting cast….moving into the bar setting…and Whitney and Chris have Great chemistry! It’s the best show people don’t seem to be watching!

38. Whoo hoo about Elementary! Love, love, love that show.

39. Liz985 says:

Hart of Dixie is a wonderful example of a show that has only gotten better as its storyline has progressed and the actors have found their stride as an ensemble. HOD definitely needs a Season 3!

40. Cavelle says:

Really hoping for Hart of Dixie to come back!! Love that show!

41. Suzy Kelly says:

I want to know about Drop Dead Diva…. it has been hanging so long, i am losing hope

42. June Andersen says:

So glad both NCIS shows are coming back. CSI NY needs to be kept but you can cancel CSI Las Vegas. Keep Vegas, Elementary, Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five O and you will be very well liked abd very wise! These are the only shows we watch on the 3 main networks!

• Jimpy says:

I just realized that every show I watch is on CBS or USA, or both and most are very likely to be back. OK Discovery channel too, although they did cancel Dirty Jobs.

43. dee says:

As long as Hart of Dixie is renewed, I’m happy!

44. june Andersen says:

Oh, also please keep White Collar, Suites, Leverage, Necessary Roughness, and Burn Notice! When we aren’t watching the few shows on the regular networks, we watch these shows and that is the extent of our tv watching. Thank you!

45. Renee says:

I REALLY need CW to renew Beauty & the Beast. I’ve absolutely fallen in love with the show just like I did with Terra Nova last year…and my heart was broken. I don’t want that to happen this year too. Please?

• Annie says:

I feel the same! I’ve been trying to find a new show to love, and it happens to be Beauty and the Beast. And I am so in love with it and Vincat!!

• MaryAnn says:

Ditto on that. “Beauty and the Beast” is my favorite show this season, and I really was sad to see the end of “Terra Nova”, although it did need some serious reworking.

46. Loz says:

Oh no, have to save Hart of Dixie – best show ever!!!
    And also B in Apartment 23……….. so good.

47. Sure Thing says:

Loved seeing Parenthood as a sure thing. Confession: I really want Nashville and BATB to come back next year. I want to see Rayna and Deacon together; and Cat and Vincent.

48. Shelley says:

Can someone please explain the whole syndication thing & it’s effect on whether a show is renewed or not…..

• Alan says:

the tv stations that are lower down the totem pole buy the right to show old episodes of a show if it is still airing or all the episodes, the more episodes they have the more likely it is to be picked up for syndication because they can last longer without repeating themselves, usually 100 is the magic number once a show reaches that amount its basically guaranteed to be picked up and anything past that is a bonus. people want this because every time a an episode is shown royalties need to be paid to certain people or companies based on the syndication agreement. that covers the basics of it i think, i know someone will be quick to point out if i got anything wrong

• Mary says:

Comedies have a better chance at being syndicated than dramas since comedies are 30 mins and less serialized than dramas. As an example if TBS were to air Happy Endings daily there would need to be 88 episodes, though 100 is preferred, so it can be shown for a few months without repeating episodes.

49. Julie says:

I really like Rules of Engagement and will miss it. It’s a shame it hasn’t been given a better chance. By that I mean it wasn’t given a good time slot and it kept jumping around, and they never really promoted it like they could have.