2013 Renewal Scorecard: What's Coming Back? What's Getting Cancelled? What's on the Bubble?

blog_combo_1.4.13_finalTV’s queasy season has arrived! From now until late May, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW will determine which shows are good to return next fall… and which will join Mob Doctor, Partners and Emily Owens, M.D. over at the MIA Network.

To help you monitor what’s staying, what’s going and what’s anxiously riding the “bubble,” we present you with our annual easy-to-browse cheat sheet.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

We’ll be updating this list regularly with the latest industry intel, so we strongly suggest you bookmark this puppy and check back for updates. As a reminder, the eight levels in TVLine’s reliable renewal index are as follows:
♦ Officially renewed
♦ A sure thing
♦ A safe bet
♦ Could go either way
♦ A long-shot
♦ Essentially cancelled
♦ Officially cancelled
♦ Too early to tell

And now, the Scorecard (use these links to jump to CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW).

ABC
666 Park Avenue: Officially cancelled.
The BachelorA sure thing. Officially renewed.
The BacheloretteA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Body of Proof: Too early to tell. Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially cancelled.
Castle: A safe bet. A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Dancing With the Stars: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Don’t Trust the B—– in Apartment 23: A long-shot. Unofficially canceled.
Family Tools: Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.
Grey’s AnatomyA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Happy Endings: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
How To Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life): Too early to tell. Officially cancelled.
Last Man Standing: Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Last Resort: Officially cancelled; series finale aired Jan. 24.
Malibu Country: Could go either way. Officially cancelled.
The MiddleA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Modern FamilyA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Nashville: Could go either way. A safe bet. Officially renewed.
The Neighbors: A long-shot. Could go either way. Officially renewed.
Once Upon a TimeA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Private Practice: Officially cancelled; series finale aired Jan. 22.
Red Widow: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.
RevengeA sure thing. Officially renewed.
Scandal: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Shark Tank: A sure thing. Officially renewed.
Suburgatory: A safe bet. Officially renewed.
Zero Hour: Too early to tell. A long-shot. Officially cancelled.

PROCEED TO NEXT PAGE FOR CBS!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Renewal Scorecards, Renewals

1. tn8chusrdhd says:

OMG! SMASH, cancelled? What are you people smoking? Oh, I forgot, it’s NBC. I am running out of good TV to watch.

• Mary S says:

Oh, yeah. The programming execs at NBC haven’t gotten out of kindergarten yet; they have no idea of what consitutes good programming. They kept those asinine Bachelor programs, maybe because they are cheap to produce, which is fine if they want to appeal to viewers’ baser natures.

But they are discarding the quality scripted shows that keep the rest of us watching their network. I am down to only one show on that farce of a network, and I heard that they have ordered only a half-season of Law and Order SVU. When that’s gone, so am I.
      LUCKILY FOR ALL OF US, there are other networks that know how to please an audience. I would never have even found them if the big four had not cancelled my favorite shows.

May I recommend, in no particular order: USA, TNT, Bravo, A&E, Syfy, CHILLER, CLOO. Even the Food Network has some fun shows: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Chopped, Sweet Genius. I am not a cook, but what these cooks can do with weird ingredients is amazing! There are many shows out there which can entertain you, and they come in all categories.

Unfortunately, there are not many with the singing and dancing talent level of Smash, but there are many to make you laugh, learn and gasp in admiration. Finding them is often accidental, but when the big 4 cancel our favorite shows, they give us the time and opportunity to go looking.

2. clg says:

I can’t believe that Go On and The New Normal have been cancelled…I’m so p***sed, two smart funny comedies with great characters. I guess we need more room for shows like The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, 10 NCIS variations, gory cop shows and ridiculous reality shows.

• Martha says:

NBC is unbelievable. I was shocked they actually kept Community and Grimm – the only things they have left worth watching. Guess it won’t be long before they are gone. Go On was fantastic.

3. Kim says:

I love watching Golden Boy please bring it back. Its a great show

4. sharon says:

this is why ABC doesnt have the fan base as CBS, they keep cancelling the good shows and keeping the stupid reality tv, of course all the shows i watch have been cancelled, so i dont plan on watching anything on this channel anymore, i hope cable channels start picking up these shows, more and more watchers will be moving to just watching cable

• Mary S says:

I agree, ABC has cancelled some excellent shows, but they did renew 5 shows that I watch . NBC, on the other hand, is down to keeping me for only one hour a week. They are anti-Baby Boomers and refuse to keep shows that we like. CBS kept 9 out of 11 for me, so I am pretty happy with them….but, why they cancelled CSI:NY is still beyond me.
      Luckily there are several stations that bought the syndication rights, so it is not lost forever. I will seriously miss new stories about those characters, though.

5. Jeff Muetz says:

I think that Body of Proof and Golden Boy would be great on cable. Honestly..put body of proof right after Rizolli and Isles. it would fit right in. Same for Golden boy. Oh well..I liked Detroit 187 too. I’m a sucker for 1 season and done shows. Flying Blind and Duet back in the 80s put me on this course lol

6. Big mistake with the show “Deception”–it was hot, riveting and the chemistry between the characters of Joanna and Julian was awesome.

7. What the heck?? Canceling Golden Boy?? I don’t usually like cop shows but I loved this one. C’mon, give it a chance. It’s great.

8. I’m happy Castle got renewed! :)

• MJO says:

Me Too!!

• Mary S says:

I remember reading a comment a couple of years ago that the exec’s WIVES loved the show, which just about ensured that it would be renewed. Hooray for their excellent taste in programming…long may it continue!!! Long may the writers continue to create such fun and exciting stories for us to watch!

9. Ashley says:

In my opinion they shouldn’t cancel any shows, they should put them on a different channel and keep them going because everybody has their own taste and they shouldn’t have others decide what shows can play on tv and what can’t cuz I liked some of the shows that we’re canceled this season and the past seasons….. soooooo that’s my opinion ….

10. rene says:

It appears that any show that require the viewer to have to think about the plot ,character profile and any thing that an adult needs,they cancel it.Example-vegas,golden boy,body of proof,etc.I hate the game and reality shows because it make the viewing public look like total idiots.Networks need to realize that soon.

• Mary S says:

The reason network execs cancel shows that engage our minds is because the execs have no minds! They only air shows that are geared for 12-year-olds.
      Thank heaven for cable!!! Networks to look for: USA, TNT, Bravo, A&E, Syfy, The CW, CLOO, (when you really need a “fix” of an old show that you loved) – Discovery Channel, The Food Network (yes, check it out!)
      The best thing the idiots at the “big 4″ have done for me is to make me look elsewhere for entertainment. I found shows that I never would have thought to seek, except that there was nothing else on that I even remotely wanted to see!

11. Kate'shomesick says:

Any news on Bunheads?

12. Smart tv liker says:

Boby of PROOF SHOULD NOT OF been cancelled when shows with no story lines stay on the air. Like dancing with the stars or most other realilty shows.

13. Ali says:

Why in the world would ABC renew the Neighbors?

14. dkamoy says:

Thx for this article and keeping it updated.
    What about The Goodwin Games? Do you have a prediction for it nowadays?

15. KRISTA VERNON says:

Sad Smash is cancelled, anyway we can get it back? Happy Nashville, Revenge Scandal are renewed

16. Mary S says:

BONES was renewed, yippeee…but I just saw an article about David Boreanz being in another show with 11 episodes. When will he have time to shoot Bones? Will he have time or a vacation from being other people? (a valid question, seeking a true answer, please, Michael!)

17. D T says:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Can someone please convince CBS to give CSI:NY at least a few, mabe 6 to 8, episodes for a final season! Just to PROPERLY close all the plot lines. There’s so many good things here. Maybe, just a thought, Mac Taylor retires to help his lady love run her restauraunt, etc. Apparently I’m alone in this. Please, prove me wrong!

• Mary Bearden says:

YES! They just left us hanging about them and the others. They need to keep this one and take off CSI. This is a much better CSI…great technology,etc.

18. Mary Bearden says:

I would like the CSI:NY to stay in reruns on TNT or another channel. That show is great. I can watch that show many times and never tire of it…

19. dera says:

What happened to that accapella singing show..with Nick Leshay..(spelling could be wrong)
    why did this get cancelled..what about the MOBBed is that coming back? what about the other game shows..deal or no deal? why did that get cancelled?….what is it with these SEASONAL SHOWS THAT ONLY appear a few hours a week for a few months.
    .American Idol? – Jan – April ? X-factor(sept-Dec) – why bother having these show on once a week for a few hours?? now “Take it all” with howie mandel..what a hoot..that is only on once a week for an hour?/ whats with that??..how long will that last since its on once a week for an hour?? will probably be off the air in a few months??? why bother having it on?
    why bother having any show on for once a week for an hour or for 2 hours a week??

20. dera says:

What happened to the cartoon about the Texas family? why did that go off the air.
    The cartoon that was in Arland Texas. We only saw that on TV for a few months last year..now its gone..that cartoon did not last long? Cleaveland show..cartoon..that is not on much..The only cartoons that are left on TV are Simpsons and one other I think but thats it..all the other cartoons from the past have come and gone

What is happening with all the cartoons..they dont last? why is that?

• Mary S says:

DUH!!! Cartoons are all over the Cartoon Network. If you want kiddie shows, they can be found on the Disney Network and any other network aimed at children. If you want shows for grown-ups, try CBS (they kept quite a few!), Bravo, A&E, and any other on your cable.
      Cartoons don’t last on real networks because real people above the mental age of 12 don’t watch them for long.

• Mary S says:

If you are talking about Family guy and the Simpsons, they were both renewed by Fox, which cancelled Touch.

• Darian Harder says:

I think you’re talking about King of the Hill. I think that got cancelled, and it actually lasted a rather long time

21. CCarolinee says:

HANNIBAL? <3 :/ ?????

22. Stephenie says:

It just amazes me how these stupid shows can get renewed and the good ones get axed. Just like the Country who doesn’t have a clue in the political arena, I guess these idiots love to continue their lala lives when watching TV.

23. Stephenie says:

Body of Proof is just one of the great shows they are booting. Let’s just watch some stupid reality show or dumb comedy instead. Ugh. I wish someone would pick it up.

• Mary S says:

Better yet, let’s NOT watch some dumb comedy just because that’s what “they” put before us!
      Let’s watch OTHER networks. Heaven knows there are plenty of them out there!
      USA, TNT, BRAVO, SYFY, A&E, THE FOOD NETWORK (I promise, there are some interesting things to see on the Food Network! – Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is one of my favorites-I have friends who plan long weekends just to eat at the places shown) CLOO for reruns of our favorite cancelled shows – there are times I would rather watch a rerun of a well-written, well-acted show than the drivel they throw at us….CHILLER has a couple of shows that I never saw in their original timeslots, and I just love them…
      How bad is the current crop of shows when they make us want to watch reruns of Law & Order???

24. Stephenie says:

There goes another good show. Malibu Country was funny and Reba is good in everything she does. Just more dump from the hollywood liberals

25. Mary S says:

MICHAEL AUSIELLO!! (or a reasonable substitute, if necessary) — Please tell us when the new Fall schedule will be released for the various networks…and, did Hannibal make the cut?
    What are they going to give us to replace the excellent shows they stole from us? Have they given us quality shows like CSI:NY, SMASH, BODY OF PROOF, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, MALIBU COUNTRY, GOLDEN BOY, VEGAS, TOUCH…it’s like CBS had a Royal Flush (isn’t that the best hand for poker?) or a Full House and threw away 3 cards…
    Please update the above lists ASAP…!

26. Jerri says:

Any word on Hannibal?

27. Chenrezi says:

It’s funny how people call each other names for liking shows that they don’t. When did TV become such a huge part of our lives that we care so much about it. The shows are fake, people! If they get cancelled, life will go on! Try to respect one another and accept change. Life will be better that way.

That being said, I’m glad they didn’t cancel Supernatural or Community. Those plus Deadliest Catch and The West Wing (thank you Netflix!) Allow me to procrastinate when it comes to my daily prayers and meditation.

“Enlightenment can wait, Captain Johnathan is blowing things up!”:) LOL

May all beings be happy.
    May all beings be free from suffering.
    May no one every be separated from true happiness free of suffering.
    May all beings rest in great equanimity free from hatred and attachment.

Om Mani Peme Hung

• Mary S says:

Chenrezi, you are correct – we (I admit it, I) do tend to become judgmental of people’s tastes when my favorite shows get cancelled and shows that I believe have no socially redeeming values are renewed. Some reality shows do indeed showcase talent and skills, but others (Bachelor/Bachelorette, Biggest Loser, Celebrity Apprentice, and a few others, do nothing more than allow peoples’ baser natures to emerge in one way or another. Granted, I guess it is a good thing for really obese folks to lose weight, but why do it on television???)
      To any whose feelings my opinions might have injured, I am sorry. To the network execs who don’t know a quality show when they see it: resign your jobs and give them to someone who can tell the difference and does not feel the need to cancel every well-written, well-acted show in sight!
      I do not understand the compulsion to change the line-up every year! What would be wrong with keeping everything and just letting the schedule ride as it was?

28. Elke says:

I never see anything about Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game, how about those series? PLL has renewed, because it’s all over facebook with sneek-peeks and stuff, but how about TLG? Really need to know this.:s

29. tasha says:

touch!!!!
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

30. tasha says:

whitney!!!
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

31. Smarter Mary than you says:

@Mary S – that is your opinion. I probably have more intelligence in your pinky than you have in your whole braindead body and I enjoy reality shows. I like Survivor and I like The Amazing Race. I also enjoy other shows. I am not braindead, I am well-rounded while it sounds to me like you are a one trick pony. So check your facts before you spout your ignorant statements.

• Mary S says:

You really don’t want to get into a “smarter than you” contest with me. I am not only a member of Mensa, top two persent of the population, but was also invited to join the group that is top two percent of Mensa. By the values set forth in those reality shows you love so much, I DO have the right to voice my opinion and I don’t have to be nice about it! Even so, my comments were a response to the cancellation of quality shows with well-written scripts and excellent actors while certain “reality” shows were renewed, and there was nothing personal intended in those comments.
      I also enjoy some reality shows, but NOT the ones wherein participants set negative examples for the viewers by backbiting each other, plotting to sabotage each other’s efforts and in one way or another are nasty to each other. I see no entertainment value in reveling in each other’s failures or doing “anything possible” to bring about those failures.
      And that stupid Bachelor/Bachelorette set makes no sense to me at all. He or she goes through all those potential mates, loses out, then comes back to go through another group of “hopefuls”??? And gets paid to do so? What kind of nonsense is that? Hey, I’ll take that paycheck! But there is no socially redeeming value in seeing the kind of thing that goes on during those shows.
      And, in case you haven’t noticed, Survivor is NOT set on a deserted island (or wherever they claim to be). There were armed guards visible in some of the shots, plus the camera crew and all others associated with the production of the show are also there. Nothing “deserted” or requiring true survivor skills about it!!
      Aside from performing some crazy stunts, most of what I have seen on that show consists of participants plotting how to kick someone off the “island” and taking steps to ensure that people fail. WHAT KIND OF LESSON DOES THAT LEAVE IN THE MINDS OF VIEWERS?? Sorry, dear, this show has no socially redeeming value that I can find. You are obviously free to watch it and learn how to scheme your way to success, but is that really the kind of society in which you want to live?
      If you want to watch reality shows, try ANY of those which celebrate talent and true skills: Dancing with the Stars, American Idol (minus the fighting judges, of course!) Top Chef, Diners, Drive-Ins andn Dives, Project Runway, Sweet Genius, Master Chef. If you must have yelling and criticism, nobody does it better than Gordon Ramsay on Hell’s Kitchen – but the contestants themselves still have to succeed on their own merits.
      If you want to see real-life people being caught in the act of scheming, plotting, messing up and stealing, watch Restaurant Stake-Out or Mystery Diners.
      If you really like REALITY shows, than watch some whose plots are not being manipulated by producers. TRULY hidden cameras are far better than cameras in the contestants’ faces so they can ham it up for the audience.

32. Charles Edmond says:

And at the end of the day another 4000 innocent children lose “the right”(they have NO choice)to see the light of day…except those who are born alive after an aborted attempt to snuff them out…Leave them to an abortionist’s scissors to snip their heads off. Do you think I really give a rat’s behind about your complaining about my “rants”? At least I have a conscience. Go back to your primordial slime and “evolve” while you’re at it. God is a great scorekeeper.

33. Donald Troutman says:

I’m on this page for the first time ‘ the way I solved my problem with ci going off the air I just bought the series on dvd and to hell with the reruns on tv I watch them anytime I want

• Mary S says:

I did that, too, but some series are not available on DVD or are too expensive for me…Season One of Smash is available, but so far, I haven’t found season two. And Harry’s Law was available for about a half a minute and no longer is to be found. I have season one of Human Target, but season two was never released. I did get all three seasons of LIE TO ME, All those shows were well-written, well-acted, had interesting characters…all the things I like in a show, but were cancelled before people even found them.
      The networks move things around, making you go on a treasure hunt for them, then say “Ratings were too low” Harry’s Law was the HIGHEST RATED show on NBC, but we who loved it were in the WRONG AGE GROUP!!! And, we can’t even buy it on DVD. I have gotten to the point that I will watch almost any network but NBC. They did keep SVU, but I heard that’s only a short season…when it’s gone, so am I!!!

34. Alberta Hagerman says:

Oh my I have finally found a place to comment. I love Body of Proof, is there a chance Fox or a different network will pick it up? My love of shows are: Bones, Castle, CSI (all of them) Hawaii 5 0; Chicago Fire; Blue Bloods; Burn Notice; PGA golf; and the best: I Love Lucy. We need more comedy, there is way too much violence being viewed by children, teens, twenty year olds and look at all the shootings. Violence is being engrained in the minds of children as being ok.

35. Great read. I found your site from a google search, and was glad i did. The data has helped me immensely.

36. sampersan says:

You’ve done an awesome job with this list, but you could you possibly add an addendum with info on the shows from AMC, Syfi, and USA?

37. You renew the Mentalist–Reality shows–and cancel CSI NY–Glad you cancelled VEGAS!!CSI NY is one show that was out standing!! I loved that show .The Mentalist is so stupid. He solves crimes the cops can’t!!!

38. Marsha Voiles says:

I can’t believe Golden Boy and Vegas were cancelled. My hubby and I love these two shows. The Big Wigs at CBS did not give Golden Boy enough time to entice an audience. Instead of entertainment they think of money first. As for Vegas, we did not like it at first but promised to give it a weeks before we changed the title. After about a month we were hooked. Every week it got better and better. How do the networks determine what shows stay on? I’ve never heard of anyone I know being asked what they watch. No network ever asked me.

39. Adam Leite says:

I was so happy to see 666 Park Avenue last night, just to find out it will be cancelled again.

40. tim warner says:

Body of Proof is totally awesome compared to the bachelor and bachelorette series.k a half way decent series with a touch of class rather than face sucking twelve people on the same nite. Who would want to be with someone that has just slept with someone else. Give us more of this crap and I cancel all network television

• Carmela says:

Such a shame Body of Proof could not be saved especially since the overhaul this last season, it had gotten even better than it already was. too bad it could not be transferred to a channel like TNT, which has so many great cop shows.

• Adam Leite says:

America seems to be addicted to celebrity life styles, fake reality shows, and stupidity. There is no more room for serious dramas.

• LDB says:

Tell be abt it, it’s such a shame. You should see the additional new ones coming out. I was watching TV just a few minutes ago & saw commercial for women 30-52 fighting for a crown as like Mrs. America it’s crazy. This was just one of the new one I saw. Oh, in people mag saw this other ridiculous one this week called “below deck”. Looks sooo bad. I do have to admit I do watch Dancing with the Stars, but that’s because I always wanted to be a dancer & love to watch the pros tell stories through dance & music. I know corny. Btw, have you seen Under the dome yet? Looks somewhat interesting but didn’t want to get invested in another show that was so so.especially because my 9:00 slots are full with police shows, my faves:)

41. LDB says:

To those of you “Unforgettable” fans, just saw a commercial for its return on July 25th, on CBS. So very very happy.
    However I could have swore this was cancelled a while back.
    Not complaining though. Someone finally used their head. :))))))

42. EILEEN HOLTZ says:

Why are you marking shows which were officially at the end of their run as “cancelled?” They were scheduled to stop after a certain number of years. for example, it was planned for “30 Rock” & “The Office” to conclude this year.

43. dion céline says:

Nice answer back in return of this query with solid arguments and telling everything regarding that.

44. This website truly has all of the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

45. celine roger says:

I always used to study post in news papers but now as I am a user of web therefore from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.

46. Bro says:

I LOVE THAT GRIMM WAS RENEWED!! ITS SO GREAT NOW AND HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME EVEN BETTER

47. Pete A Lopez says:

I caught an episode of Monday Mornings at the end of the series and thought it was an outstanding show. Kept watching for the reruns but never seen them so I went looking and found out it was cancelled. If any network would pick it up I would be a loyal watcher

48. Pete A Lopez says:

Can’t wait to see more Parenthood

49. Anonymous says:

Private Practice wasn’t cancelled Kate Walsh (Addison Montgomery) quit the show so they couldn’t renew it

• Darian Harder says:

Well, I think they could have. What about Tim Daily?

• MJO says:

I didn’t watch Private Practice, but, cancelling the show just seems like a cop-out for the network, instead of just writing Walsh’s character out and continuing with the rest of the cast.

50. will says:

first they canceld csi miami dumb move best show ever . now csi ny really retarded move..vegas was very good disappointing cancel..this show could done really good..cbs keeps screwing up good shows for bs one