Ratings: Big Bang Hits New All-Time Highs, Person of Interest at Series Highs

Ratings: Big Bang Theory Hits Series HighThe Big Bang Theory delivered some zazzy numbers this Thursday night, including — and again, stop us if you’ve heard this before — its largest audience ever.

Facing mostly repeats (plus Fox’s Mobbed, FWIW), Lenny, Shamy et al played to a total audience of 19 million total viewers, while rising 9 percent from its last fresh outing to match a series-high demo rating of 6.0.

UPDATE: Per the Nielsen finals, Big Bang hit all-time highs in both total audience (19.25 million) and in the demo (with a 6.1).

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palozza: Your Scoop-Filled Guide to Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, Scandal and 36 Other Returning Shows

Leading out of that, Two and a Half Men hit season highs in both total viewers (15.4 mil) and in the demo (4.6, up 12 percent).

On the CBS drama side, Person of Interest scored a series high in viewers (16.1 mil) and matched its all-time best demo rating of 3.4 (up 17 percent), while Elementary (11.4 mil/2.5, up two tenths) saw its best numbers since the series premiere.

Want scoop on Big Bang, POI or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Michele says:

How can The Big Bang Theory & Two And A Half Man have such high ratings? They’re not even that good!

• Chris says:

I think Big Bang is pretty funny.. it’s awkward at times, but just good ol’ mindless fun. I also like POI, but I can’t stand 2.5 men. Why that show gets such high ratings, I have no idea.. I tried to watch in the half hour between BBT and POI, but I turned it off and watched the Fiesta Bowl instead.

• takethat says:

Here’s how: TBBT has devolved from brainy humor to TV junk food. Sadly, mindless humor is what sells. The writers needed to lower their comedic standards to capture the mass casual viewing public looking for a quick laughing fix at the end of a long workday. Enter stupid sex jokes, uncomfortably offensive spanking shticks (with a disgustingly desperate Amy Farrah Fowler), and lame arse relationship angst a la Friends 2.0 with physicists. With very few exceptions (MASH, Seinfeld), TBBT is proof that selling out is the way to rake in the moolah in TVdom.

• Alan says:

you also forgot that the writers got really lazy when they got a multi-year pick up a few years ago which led to the top quality stuff not being needed anymore

• tripoli says:

We get it Alan. You hate The Big bang Theory. Go back to the CW.

• mario says:

well im actually surprised that the big bang is so strong, dont get me wrong though, i love television so the fact that theres a comedy doing as well as big bang does in the ratings is pretty cool. but ive watched 2 whole seasons of the show (my friend made me watch the first 2 seasons) and i didnt find sheldons spewing out random “smart” things in a high voice very funny. i also wasnt a big fan of penny as she came off as cheesy (“Holy crap on a cracker?”)

• UUUUUknow says:

if you dont like big bang theory…. you can always waste your life watching channels 6 and 8 or better yet go get out your lost special edition dvds and kill yourself

• Carole says:

I guess if there is not a lot of blood and guts and people killing other people it just isn’t worth watching?????? I think it’s about time that you can watch television without somebody getting killed. I think BBT is a breath of fresh air.

• Alan says:

watch community if you want good tv where people dont get killed, or maybe dont because im sure people “dying” in paintball would be too much for you to handle

• John says:

Well, ratings are the measurement of how many people are watching the shows: so when lots of people watch the shows the ratings are high.

See how that works?

Though while I’ve not been one of them for Two and half for quite a while, I’m still enjoying TBBT.

• cjeffery7 says:

well, there are 19 million people that disagree with you, including myself, that Big Bang Theory isn’t that good. and if i may continue to be overtly biased, 2.5 Men wouldn’t get ratings nearly as high if it wasn’t following Big Bang. also, take into account the fact that this week there was literally no competition in those time slots. at this point during the winter tv doldrums viewers are desperate for something new, even if it’s not a show they regularly watch.

• DL says:

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Leonard/Penny relationship dynamics stuff, but I actually thought TBBT overall was pretty hilarious last night. While everyone’s commenting on the lack of good writing, I felt that in particular Sheldon’s lines were exceptionally funny and strongly written last night. I really enjoyed it.

• Max Power says:

The credentials for determining how good or bad something is depends on whether or not you have a sense of humor. Which maybe you need to work on if you think this is not good then you are not a good critic. I’ll pray for you.

• Camille Harris says:

Two and 1/2 Men is so gross and repulsive. It is right before POI which is so noble and courageous. I can not stand even a minute of 2 Men, so I often miss the first minute of POI, to avoid the vulgarity.
      What a terrible programming mistake! Blue Blood is also noble and courageous. Why not pair it with POI on Thursday nights to get like with like? And put 2 Men late over a cliff or at least late on Friday night were it belongs?

2. Kristian says:

So have they named what show gets the post Super Bowl spot? Has to be POI right?

• lll says:

Elementary gets the post-super bowl spot. CBS even ordered two extra episodes so they can have the super bowl spot without messing up their Thursday airings.

Most people wanted POI or 2 Broke Girls to get it (including me) but it’s not meant to be.

• Chris says:

I really wish 2 Broke Girls would have gotten it. Such a hilarious show and they could have done something great with it…

• Ken says:

That’s because they are desperately trying to get people to watch “Elementary”. Person of Interest is already established as a ratings juggernaut…Elementary isn’t (despite their constant commercials claiming it’s one of the most watched new shows). It’s all strategy…. POI is one of the best shows on TV….and doesn’t need a post Super Bowl boost.

• Alex says:

POI is already doing quite well, Elementary isn’t doing quite as well and they want to give the post-super bowl slot to a show that they feel has a lot of potential, and want to capitalize on the opportunity to expose it to a larger audience. In my opinion, Elementary has been the best new drama of the season, so I’m glad to see it get the slot. Elementary is a really high standard show for network television, and especially for CBS, which is known for its mass-produced cookie cutter procedurals.

• Alan says:

elementary is just a cookie cutter procedural which happens to have holmes names though so it fits right in with the rest of their bottom barrel stuff

• KD says:

I have tried to give Elementary a chance, but it’s getting worse and worse. I could barely finish last night’s episodes. *Spoiler alert* Russian spies? invisible ink? I feel like I saw a similar story line in a Get Smart episode. The show needs more complex and interesting criminals/cases. They should borrow from Person of Interest which has interesting villains like Elias, HR, Snow, CIA lady whose name I can’t think of right now.

• TheDude says:

You must have missed the part where Holmes himself made light of how ridiculous it all was. It’s funny you mention Get Smart because he even made a comment asking if they also had a phones in their shoes.

• Alan says:

just because a character calls out how stupid something is in whats supposed to be a serious show doesnt make it ok. honestly that premise sounds absolutely awful for what the show is supposed to be and im really glad i decided to give it a miss

• TheDude says:

Don’t judge something that you haven’t even watched then. Just because it was a ridiculous premise doesn’t mean it wasn’t still a worthwhile hour of TV. The idea of Russian Spies was actually rather well done, with a family who had been established in the US for so long that they had a kid in her late teens who knew nothing of her families true origins. The whole ridiculousness of the invisible ink(despite it actually being something real spies use), was only a very small plot point in anotherwise excellent episode.

• Annika says:

You obviously haven’t read any Arthur Conan Doyle, so i’ll forgive you for that ignorant comment.

• Max Power says:

POI is another good show and I wish them good things.

3. lll says:

GO POI!!!

4. Paul8148 says:

Big Bang was great last night.

• CJ says:

I agree–I love how they had a very funny episode that both dealt realistically with the peculiarities of Sheldon’s incredibly insensitive personality and the boys’ friendship without getting all serious and talky.

• dan says:

And it was like an afterschool special because it dealt with sexual harassment. It was hysterical! Regina King was great as the HR Mgr and all the cast members gave stellar performances. I kept thinking “this is the Emmy episode” because it had serious laughs throughout. I’m glad CBS aired a new episode during this week of mostly reruns.

• I love the show! (And I’m an old lady) But unfortunately missed it last night. Could do with less of Amys’ “eagerness” to be more than Sheldons’ girlfriend.

5. tahina says:

Great numbers for POI!! Getting better each week..go Dt Carter :P

6. Rebecca says:

Go BBT!! Love that show!!

7. meem says:

See? Here we go again, another day, another example where shows that had new episodes had huge ratings. STOP WITH THE STUPID “FALL FINALE” stuff! Don’t take your show off the air for 6 weeks over the holidays–people WILL WATCH!

As for POI, here’s what I learned last night: When there’s no Jim Caveziel, I fall asleep on the sofa. Sorry, Jim, no more episodes (basically) off for you!

• mtnlady says:

the thing is, if you fall asleep through the episodes where Reese is not constantly on the TV screen, the rest of the cast are doing amazing jobs with the storyline which involves getting Reese out of prison..plus solving storylines of their own. Somewhere down the line these episodes all tie in and you might miss the clues. I’m with you, though, I could look at Jim Caviezel all night….he’s a beautiful man, and one of the best actors on TV at the moment. It’s a shame POI and it’s characters has been completly snubbed, ignored, overlooked, for whatever reasons, for any of the awards shows coming up..what’s up with that??

8. John says:

I’ve found POI surprisingly interesting. Doesn’t hurt they do a lot of shooting in parts of NYC that I like.

9. J says:

I thought last night’s TBBT was frickin’ hilarious. That Sheldon is one-of-a-kind. Can’t wait to catch up with POI tonight (hopefully!)

10. Denise says:

All other networks had repeats, CBS was the only networkwith new shows

11. Chris says:

It’s always refreshing to see great ratings news about deserving shows that you watch (in this case, the fantastic POI and Elementary). Too often the best shows have to struggle for ratings, and then you have to worry about cancellation.

12. intelliwoman says:

POI is excellent – writing, character development, great interesting storylines, backstory fine cast and good visuals

13. ollie says:

yea for poi it just gets better every epsiode

14. JT says:

TBBT was freakin hilarious last night. Definitely a episode that deserves rewatching. POI and Elementary was good too.

15. Michael G. says:

I am never going to be able to hear the word Molecules again without thinking of Kaley Cuoco in nothing but glasses and boots.

16. onlyakb says:

can’t stand 2 and a half man, but The Big Bang Theory is just so much fun!! and last night episode was really good!!with some cool pay off for Leonard and Penny!!

17. Can someone give me a “hint” about Thurs. night BBT/ I missed it, see what happens when you are “29”??

18. Doreen says:

I LOVE the Big Bang Theory show and its actors. They way each character delivers lines is perfection. Big Bang Theory is laugh out loud funny! Great mix of personalities with just enough miscellanous drop in actors to keep it interesting. Thanks for the entertainment :)

19. tess says:

I enjoy TBBT. Glad to see a show that is willing to mix things up and still be funny. These characters are really genuine to ones I have worked and lived around! If you don’t like it, you can change your channel! Peace out! Happy 2013!

20. Love TBBT and am very happy to see it is doing well in the ratings. Do NOT like 2 and 1/2 men at all