Did Horror Story Out-Sing Mad Men? SVU Love Mystery? Is CNN's NYE Joke Old? And More Qs!

doctorwho300We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week(-plus) of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Doctor Who, Parenthood, American Horror Story: Asylum and The Big Bang Theory!

1 | Revisiting Christmas: Did Doctor Who‘s sinister snowmen give anyone else flashbacks to Calvin & Hobbes? And can we get a(nother) round of applause for astoundingly telegenic new castmember Jenna-Louise Coleman?

2 | Can Downton Abbey somehow close the gap between UK and Stateside airings, if only so we don’t have to keep inventing new levels of “spoiler alert” warnings?

3 | Is everyone that Underemployed‘s Sophia encounters a lesbian? Her classmate’s boss, the random girl waiting in line for the bathroom… and now her former professor!

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Once Upon a Time, Bones, Office, Supernatural, HIMYM and More!

Now, venture back with us to Dec. 31 for all that countdown craziness…

4 | Didn’t NBC’s New Year’s Eve coverage — which basically amounted to a really long clip package with only one live performance — seem really low-key (and a little boring?) in comparison to what the other networks offered up? On that note, why doesn’t CBS have any skin in the New Year’s Eve game?

nye2755 | Have we received confirmation yet that Rockin’ New Year’s Eve hostess/kissing bandit Jenny McCarthy woke up Tuesday with a massive cold sore after smooching that sailor? (Or was that just her lipstick smeared on his face?) And can we — Ryan Seacrest included — declare a moratorium on trying to interview PSY? Given his limited grasp of English, it seems just mean. (Or will PSY getting any publicity in 2013 be a moot point?)

6 | Can someone at CNN — perhaps new boss Jeff Zucker? — finally stick a fork in Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin’s painfully forced and unfunny New Year’s tradition? She makes a “shocking” joke! He giggles! Rinse. Repeat. Cancel.

7 | Remind us: Why is it so hard to sing live in Times Square? (Yes, we’re talking to you, Taylor Swift.)

And that concludes the NYE portion of this week’s column. Back to regularly scheduled programming…

VIDEO | Parenthood Sneak Peek: Tensions Rise Between Julia and Victor! Will His Adoption Stick?

8 | While Parenthood putting Sydney in the path of a large metal projectile may have been a little cruel, wasn’t it just the teensiest bit satisfying to watch Julia finally tell her whiny little one to shut up? Wasn’t Crosby’s maturity regarding mom-in-law’s move-in refreshing? And to those confused by Kristina “revealing” herself to be “34,” did you not catch Adam’s discreet eyeroll?

9 | Doesn’t the insane cuteness of the General Hospital puppy make it tough to believe it’s a harbinger of bad times ahead?

ahs300RELATED | Horror Story Season 3: Ryan Murphy Teases ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Theme, Haunted Location

10 | Did American Horror Story‘s Sister Jude/Call Me Judy out-“Zou Bisou Bisou” Mad Men‘s Megan Draper with her totally random but nonetheless infectious ’60s-themed song-and-dance? (And who knew “The Name Game” had so many rules?!)

11 | Wouldn’t it have been better if Nashville‘s “Juliette Barnes” had narrated Wednesday’s recap special with some sass, as “Nolan” did for Revenge?

RELATED | Nashville‘s Hayden Panettiere on Whether ‘Impulsive’ Juliette Is Ready for the Wife Life

12 | On Chicago Fire, did Mills and Dawson’s little bones-naming foreplay exercise give you a sudden urge to study anatomy?

13 | Law & Order: SVU fans, who do you think Olivia’s unseen traveling companion was?

The Egg Salad Equivalency14 | The Big Bang Theory is currently giving us the best Leonard/Penny season yet, but the Raj character is still woefully adrift — Agree or Disagree?

15 | Elementary fans, can we tell you how eerie it was, having just screened the first episodes of FX’s The Americans, to witness this week’s Soviet spies twist? Also: What do you think will change Watson’s mind about leaving?

RELATED | Exclusive: Elementary‘s Super Bowl Episode Drafts Oz Alum as Big Bad

runway27516 | Who are you more worried for going into next week’s Person of Interest: Reese, or Carter? And while logical, wasn’t it a let-down how little Jim Caviezel was in the winter premiere?

17 | Let’s be honest, Project Runway All Stars: Isaac Mizrahi totally faked his love for Anthony Ryan’s unflattering design so you could find a reason not to eliminate the frontrunner during an off week, right?

18 | Anyone else totally in love with the little boy in the NFL’s Play 60 commercials with the Carolina Panthers’ Cam Newton? “‘I’m just loosening my arm…”

1. Adam says:

#14 – I that it’s time for Raj to come out of the closet.

• Muriel says:

I so agree!

• Ari says:

He needs to do something. He’s been the only character who has had no character growth. Even Howard’s mom has had more development than Raj and she has literally never been on screen.

• Gerald says:

I just think it’s so annoying, I mean if he’s gay that’s fine but do something about it. I just hate this storyline, enough with all the teasing, it’s so annoying. I never liked the character, it always seemed that they didn’t know what to do with him.

• kavyn says:

Well if he’s in the closet then it makes sense that the character wouldn’t want to get too much into it. But I do agree the only way to go with Raj is gay. He’s not going to fall in love with a girl if he can’t even talk to them without drinking (and seriously, what kind of relationship can form under that context?)

Plus it adds more to his character that being straight would never achieve. Maybe have him get into a relationship with a transexual woman or something for one episode and then lead into him going gay (or keep him in the relationship with the trans, idk).

2. Laquisha Yo says:

Hey, speak for yourself. I love Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin together. They’re hilarious. And they have great chemistry. You can’t say that her trying to go down on him over and over again wasn’t funny.

They are the most entertaining out of all the New Years Eve shows.

• ES says:

I love Anderson & Kathy too! It’s only once a year anyway so what’s the big deal? It’s so much more fun than the other shows, it’s the only one I’ll bother to watch. If it goes off, I’ll just DVDs or or Netflix.

• dude says:

It was funny year one, now it’s just annoying. It’s the same gag every year and they don’t even break it up with musical performances or anything. Kathy Griffin makes a penis joke, Anderson pretends to be shocked, Kathy Griffin makes a Kardashian joke, no one cares. She needs new material asap cause it’s not funny anymore. I’ll stick with ABC.

• Brendan says:

I agree. We look forward to seeing that every year, but of course people will only like it if they like Kathy Griffin. And what I find amusing is that people bash her and say how horrible she is not realizing that she lives to upset people and create drama. So keep hating on her and you might just end up in her next stand-up comedy special. :)

• Eli says:

Kathy and Anderson’s new year’s is still the best out there and NO it’s not “done”, they keep it fresh every year, that’s like you telling me that Revenge is stale because it is about revenge every episode or Portlandia is unfunny because it’s about querky characters every week

3. laura meakin says:

Yes, Raj what is up with him this season in TBBT I’d like to see more of him.

As for Downtown think of it as the UK’s revenge for the years of shows we have spoiled due to huge gaps in transmission dates between the US and UK. I for one have yet to see one single ep so no spoilers from me!

4. liv says:

#13
    SVU 1.0: show about victims getting justice and the superhero cops who help them.
    SVU 2.0: #WhosBangingBenson guessing gameshow of the week .
    What a joke!

• jamie says:

AMEN about SVU and the joke of a show it has become because no one on that show is concerned about being victims advocates anymore only a soap opera that isn’t even worthy of daytime tv

• nonyabusyness says:

Really? Cause from what I remember of S9-12, ‘vodka tampons, lame guest stars, actors phoning in performances and unrealistic storylines.’ S13-14 have been better than all of those seasons combined. Plus, Benson’s personal life has FINALLY become a balanced part of the show. It’s not the sole thing keeping the show afloat, anymore. Just because people get overly-excited over it doesn’t mean that’s what the show is all about now. I’m willing to bet neither you or ‘liv’ even watch the new episodes. Either that or you’re one of those people butthurt over Meloni leaving the show.

• liv says:

Okay, nonyabusyness (aka Warren Leight) — keep dreaming! Compare the ratings from 9-12 with 13/14 while you’re at it.

• icywinter2 says:

Hate to tell you this, but that’s expected ratings of an older show. It isn’t going to get the same ratings as newer show. quit blaming warren, it’s irrational. Seriously, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it

• dontworryaboutme says:

This would probably be irant, aka Warren’s little fangirl. When show runners and actors and actresses care nothing about a show that’s supposed to help victims turn to forcing characters into relationships, then yes, the show is done. Yes, I watch. I could care less about Melonhead. I watch now out of bad habit. Since when have personal lives been part of the L&O franchise? With the exception of a few characters, never. Warren has to keep his tweenybop fangurls watching, and pimping Liv out is the only way to make that happen. The show doesn’t even care about the victims/survivors anymore. But they sure as hell care about making sure we know who a killer is and who they are in the first two minutes and the torture they put on the victim.

• lauren says:

That’s only what the fans make of it, not what the show is actually about.

5. Ben says:

#2 Hahaha ! This is so much fun for a French guy like me, because I get spoiled ALL THE TIME, about my favorite Tv shows (american tv show, i mean).
    Sorry for that, but it’s true !

6. EequalsMC3 says:

2. Only if US networks agree to speed up the release of their shows to the UK market. I’m glad to know US viewers are finally getting to experience what it’s like for TV viewers in other countries.

• cjeffery7 says:

i think what team tvline is getting at is all the whiny readers who accidentally spoil themselves because they have no common sense or impulse control and subsequently complain like idiots. team tvline can only do so much to make it clear that “this article is not safe if you aren’t up to date!”

• tripoli says:

TVLine does very little at this point to prevent spoilers. You would think they’d still appreciate readers who want to visit the site for other content and avoid spoiler specific articles, but they clearly don’t, seeing as they have taken to spoiling major story lines on the front page, not even giving the reader the option of clicking the story or not. Making your quote “this article is not safe if you aren’t up to date” completely moot.

• Anthony says:

Exactly what I thought :-)
      I’m glad it’s the other way round!

• Kate says:

Agree with this I am from the UK and every show i watch is american bascially (apart form Downton) so i have been asking for this to happen the other way round for years, all i can say is say it must be some weird karma for US viewers!

7. Liza!80 says:

Why does Kathy Griffin get any time? She’s horrible and mean and shrill. She needs to go away.

8. Ulose says:

Kathy is disgusting. There is a line between funny and desperate for a “shock” or laugh.

9. Maggie says:

12. I bought into the Mills/Dawson chemistry WAY before the Dawson/Casey chemistry, ever since the team went to Mills’ family diner, LOVE them together!!

18. the little boy in the commercial is hilarious!! those commercials are sometimes hit or miss, but this one is totally a hit!

10. Kalee says:

Did Team TVLine have a bad New Year’s or something? Anderson and Kathy’s pairing is the only reason I record and watch any New Year’s program at a later date. Plus, without them, it’s time to just drop CNN’s woefully boring New Year’s coverage in the first place.

And Taylor Swift sounded perfectly fine live even without the frigid Times Square live stage excuse.

11. Alan says:

yes jenna-louise is awesome and im already dying for her to show up on my screen again.
    why do they need watson back? its really just a quirky cop show with characters who happen to share names with classic holmes chracters, taking away his watson is about the only desecration of the classics they havent done yet

12. Daryl says:

#15: I don’t think Sherlock’s dad has ever been Watson’s employer. She’s never met him…never spoken to him directly, etc. I think it’s Sherlock himself.

Perhaps Watson figures it out herself and perceives it as a cry for help that Sherlock is too proud to make outright.

13. Kate says:

On the Law and Order SVU one: PLEASE CAN IT BE ELLIOT OH PLEASE OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

14. casgirl3 says:

I’m dying to know who’s Olivia’s mystery man is! Is Harry Connick Jr. coming back, I wonder?

• wrstlgirl says:

I quit watching SVU when Meloni left but tuned in this week because Theo Rossi was a guest star. Have to admit, I’m intrigued by the mystery BF. I think the last time I watched it she was kissing Dean Winters :-)

• icywinter2 says:

Please, the kiss didn’t mean squat she was too overly emotional after the shooting. Plus cragen being frame in the season premire. All she had with Cassidy was two lame one night stands. The man isn’t him..

• wrstlgirl says:

I never said it WAS him. I was simply making the statement that he was the last person I saw her with, haven’t been watching remember.

15. Jessy says:

#18 Yes! I love that kid. My friends and I have already co-opted the “just loosening my arm” line.

16. Laura says:

I’m guessing that Olivia’s mystery companion is some random guy they drafted to throw the shippers a bone. Now the SVU fandom can continue to argue ship vs. non-ship indefinately.

17. Deena says:

I’m thinking Olivia was with Cassidy (Dean Winters).
    LOVE the kid in the Cam Newton commercial! Never get tired of it.

• icywinter2 says:

I doubt that, she wouldn’t go on vacation with a man that she had two one night stands with.

• Deena says:

Unless they are reconnecting because he has grown up. It’s not like it was a one night stand with a total stranger, they were coworkers at the time. As long as it’s not Stabler. I may be in the minority but the 2 of them hooking up would ruin the entire series for me.

18. Templar says:

#7 It isn’t hard to sing in Times Square. Watch the Bon Jovi Concert in TS. It’s hard for Swift to sing live anywhere. She’s a good songwriter, but like Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan, she doesn’t have the best voice.

19. Leah says:

2. I so wish that we didn’t have to wait for Downton Abbey over here. I am not strong enough to stay away from the spoilers. Especially when everybody covered Dan Steven’s departure. Not blaming you for that.

8. I thought Julia telling Sydney to shut up was awful. She may be whiney and annoying, but she’s just a kid and doesn’t get what is going on. I’m sure that Julia yelling at her hurt her more than Viktor nearly hitting her with the bat did. I loved the scene where Crosby was freaking out at the recording studio.

• mikicza says:

Hi! I’m not from US so I’m curious, why don’t you download episodes next day from the internet? If i had to wait for every series to air in my country i wouldn’t watch many awesome shows! Sorry for any grammar mistakes :)

20. Curly Girly says:

#17 Anthony Ryan’s dress was HORRIBLE. The lady said she wanted a dress to “hide” her boobs, and instead he did the opposite and enhanced them. That’s all I could see when she came down the runway!! Seriously, Isaac???

• ktbanks says:

I absolutely adore Anthony Ryan and his designs, but that dress was really bad. I would’ve hated to see him go when all of his other designs this season have been so amazing. Luckily, Project Runway now seems to have a pretty extensive history of pussyfooting around the 4-to-3 cut, so it all works out!

• Tess says:

I look at it this way – all of the designers were making dresses based on their client’s wants rathr than their own astethic. Anthony Ryan even said that the dress was not his style and not what he would’ve done for her but rather what she wanted. She was actually happy with that dress.
        I figured they weren’t going to send anyone home anyway since there’s still another week before the finale – plus given the clients they were designing for, it was more of a feel good episode than anything else. Isaac did that same kind of defending for Emilio a couple of weeks ago…
        I think this episode merely served as a reason to give Joshua a win since he was the only one without one. Until that, it seemed pretty obvious which of the remaining 4 made the least sense to make the final 3.

21. sean says:

#9 love the puppy

22. nik says:

#13. The only way the majority of SVU fans will be content and shut up (myself included) is if the mystery man is indeed a certain actor who shall not be named. It’d be pleasing 98% of fans but you don’t always get what you want no matter how much. we want it (see seasons 1-12) Olivia did say it was ‘a friend’ so I hope they keep it that way. We’ll never be happy as along as we keep getting forced relationships with her especially an EADA she knew only a month and a former one night stand. NO thanks. And #WhosBAngingBenson was a joke, especially since real fans know she’s only been with only two men romantically in what, 5-10 years? And also, the show has ALWAYS had character backstory and development over the years, so not sure where you’re coming from there. I’m glad the ratings were up, it deserve it for the effort, they didn’t ask Meloni to leave and for fans to stop watching because he did.

23. Roni says:

#3 – Underemployed has done a great job with Sophia. I don’t think she’s been meeting lesbians or dating at some unbelievable rate, especially in a big gay-friendly city like Chicago. Plus, there was that one girl she went on a “date” with who turned out to be straight. She has a love life, just like all the straight characters on the show do, which is refreshing and the way it should be.

I know the show being banished to Saturday night is not a good sign, but I really hope it makes it to a second season.

24. chrisjroof says:

6. Kathy and Anderson are great together! That show is the only one that I actually watch. Others are just fast-forwarded to get the performances.
    7. It’s not hard for Taylor Swift to sing live in Times Square, its hard for Taylor Swift to sing live. Period. End of story. She’s horrible.
    8. Sydney is the worst and I LOVED Julia telling her to shut up.

25. ollie says:

#16 more for carter bc of the pressure from the fbi one would think reese had to go through some interrogation for the cia. and i did miss reese in this past ep. but it didnt bother me as much as it would have on any other show bc all the actors on poi are supurb and its nice to see the other charactors get screen time and shine.

26. Deanne says:

Do not like Kathy Griffin at all. She is mean, shrill and bitter. As for Anderson Cooper, his credibility as a hard news guy takes a major hit every time he shares air space with Ms. Griffin.

27. Beth says:

To answer #15, I would say that Watson’s decision not to leave will be precipitated by the case next week with the killer of Irene, as they indicated in the promo last week. Irene is clearly Holmes’s achilles heel, and Watson might be concerned about Holmes’s stability if he has to deal with this again.

28. Heathers says:

#5 She is an old washed up whore anyway, still blaming everyone else for her own kid’s problems. And that Psy thing, well, didn’t he make an anti-America video last year? I say ban him from our country! And as far as him not speaking English, that is bull! They are taught English in school from day one!

• Alan says:

oh no he said something bad about america once he must be the worst person in the world. thankfully people with a little more common sense get to make important decisions or nobody would be allowed into america

29. Britta Unfiltered says:

1. Haha. Okay, I can see that now. I didn’t pick up on it before.
    8. I’d much rather see someone tell Max to shut up.
    10. Oh gosh, I found that whole song and dance number to be horribly awkward. The Name Game is kind of a dumb song to me. As much as I hate her, Megan’s Zou Bisou Bisou was a lot better.
    13. I was bugged they didn’t show us. I just hope it wasn’t Stabler. Not that that actor is coming back anyway, but I like the fact that he was always faithful to his wife and was a family guy. LOL, what if it’s Munch?
    14. TBBT is not doing it for me this season. Now that it’s getting pretty long in the tooth, I’m finding their storylines and jokes to be a little awkward and predictable.

• luli says:

for me TBBT has had one of their best seasons so far! I’m loving the penny/leonard scenes and amy is just hilarious!

30. mspenn1013 says:

#14 where did the dog come from? We were expecting Stewart to be sitting in the chair. Raj just needs to come out of the closet.

31. Yunuem says:

#13 I want Olivia to be with Dt. Amaro, I think it’s time she hooks up with a younger man
    #15 I think Watson will leave and Sherlock will ask her opinion on a case to make her come back

32. DR says:

Re: #13, the answer is *obviously* Alex Cabot. Shippers have been filling in the blanks for YEARS, people. YEARS….

33. Alan says:

when did svu become a story about a character’s relationship? i thought the law and order franchise didn’t care about the personal stuff and only presented the characters doing their jobs. have they become that desperate for ratings that they are courting shippers and going against the philosophy of the franchise?

• Jennifer says:

Not desperate for ratings, the show is simply expanding on it’s character development which I actually like. It’s never really done that until the last few years and when it did in the past it was mainly Stabler. Criminal Minds has been doing something similar and it’s working wonderfully.

• Alan says:

for a franchise that was all about the cases and didnt care about the private lives of the characters it just seems strange to suddenly have this major focus on the personal life after so many years of disregarding it

• nik says:

“SVU” has ALWAYS been character based. Olivia’s whole character was based upon a sex crime. (She’s the product of rape) and the whole finding out who her rapist father was a theme in season 8. And don’t get me started on Stabler’s family drama (gag) over the years. I’d much rather have had EO than that sort of soap operal bull.

• Kate says:

Yes!! Thank you. Just watch season one!! Always had character development. Dick Wolf wrote alot of season one! And He wanted it to be different than L&O. (not just sex crime differences). Drama in season 8 was more soap opera than EO! Genius!

34. GeoDiva says:

#2: YES. YES. YES
    #6: I love Kathy & Anderson, so keep it on. And if people don’t likeit, change the channel. That’s what I do with all the other boring NYE shows.
    #17: Totally agree. No way were they going to get rid of Anthony Ryan or Emilio.

35. Ace says:

#18: YES! (He’s totally gonna be your mom’s favorite player.)

36. RTM says:

#9 Maxie – please don’t pass Spinelli’s baby off as LuLu’s. You’re too good for that.

37. olivia says:

I THINK OLIVIA WAS GOING TO THE BAHAMAS WITH ELLIOT OR ADA HAYDEN EVEN BUT IM REALLY REALLY HOPING IT WAS ELLIOT!

38. jon says:

cooper and griffin forever and i think its obvi that olivia is back together with harry connick jr.’s character. fingers crossed.

39. Joe says:

#6 Kathy and Anderson are hilarious and this nasty comment surprised me. There seems to be some resentment for Anderson on this site in general. I guess that’s what you get on a site written by queens who were kicked out of real entertainment publications.

Here’s a real question. When are you morons going to step into the 21st century and make this site mobile compatible?

40. Dee says:

Psy went to Berkley… He can speak English.

41. Spencer says:

Kathy and Anderson are hilarious. And I absolutely loved that Name Game number. Highlight of the season.