What to Watch Friday: Merlin Conjures Its Final Season, Welcome Back to Portlandia and More

Merlin Cancelled, Will End After Season 5On TV this Friday: Merlin begins its magical final season, CSI: NY kills two vics with one weapon, Blue Bloods look for a green murderer and Portlandia gets back to quirk. Here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

7 pm – 1 am (Saturday) Californication marathon (Showtime) | Relive Hank’s Season 5 return to Los Angeles – in all of its tawdry glory. (Check out what’s in store for Season 6, which gets underway Jan. 13.)

RELATED | Your January Premieres/Finales Calendar

8 pm Undercover Boss (CBS) | The CEO of Mood Media goes undercover at his company that helps stores “communicate with consumers” via sounds, sights and… smells.

8 pm Last Man Standing (ABC) | When Eve is suspended from school for calling someone a bad name, Mike’s surprised to learn that constitutes bullying.

8:30 pm Malibu Country (ABC) | Reba tries to rally the school moms to help her revive the music program.

RELATED | Your Scoop-Filled Guide to FringeGrimm and 37 More Returning Favorites

9 pm CSI: NY (CBS) | The CSIs are puzzled when two different victims are linked by the same unusual weapon. Jeff Branson (All My Children) guest-stars. (Pssst, longtime viewers will not want to miss this one.)

9 pm Great Performances (PBS) | Paul Simon’s Graceland Journey: Under African Skies follows the prolific musician as he returns to South Africa more than 25 years after the seminal album’s release.

9 pm Shark Tank (ABC) | Among tonight’s hopeful entrepreneurs: two buddies who combine their favorite pastimes – beer and arcade games – into one cabinet.

RELATED | What’s New on TV? Your Guide to The FollowingCultThe Americans and 15 Other Shows

10 pm Blue Bloods (CBS) | Danny and Kate try to track down a radical, environmentally minded serial killer.

10 pm Merlin (Syfy) | Season 5 premiere: The final season opens with Queen Guinevere and the Knights of the Round Table by Arthur’s side… and Camelot’s destruction already in the works. (But will the mythical world live on past the final episode?)

10 pm Portlandia (IFC) | Season 3 premiere: Back-to-back episodes find Spyke and Iris joining a gang of former MTV stars to take the music channel back from tweens, and the mayor sends Fred and Carrie on a door-to-door mission to Seattle to recruit new Portland citizens.

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

Comments (27)

• CSI:NY
    Merlin – I’m so sad this is the last season :-(

Comment by SK – January 4, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The final season has already been aired in the UK. Without tipping anything off, I’ll just say I don’t like the way it ends.

Comment by Larc – January 4, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have heard that the ending is not what a happy one. I’m dreading it.

Comment by SK – January 4, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Let me guess… *centuries old spoiler alert* Arthur dies at Mordred’s hand? Did folks honestly expect a happy ending to a legend that’s been a tragedy the entire time?

Comment by AT – January 4, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it defiantly the last series ? Have I missed the annoucement.

Comment by Jeanette coote – January 4, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • DID NOT LIKE ENDING!

Comment by SanaA – January 5, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Merlin! Excited and sad at the same time. This is a great show.

Comment by Jenna – January 4, 2013 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • malibu country!

Comment by omabin – January 4, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HGTV Castles On Camera. Featuring Highclere Castle where Downton Abbey is filmed.

Comment by Templar – January 4, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its important to note that tonight’s Last Man Standing features a ‘Tool Time’ reunion!

Comment by Derek Odom – January 4, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope; that is next week’s episode.Management

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 4, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah okay – apologies. The promo airing during GMA this morning led me to believe it was tonight. Thanks for clearing up my confusion! :)

Comment by derekjustderek – January 4, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just can’t wrap myself around Blue Bloods wo Jackie. Would be better off to promote brother Jamie and have him be Danny partner.

Comment by forwarddad – January 4, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about missing Jackie. I hope she’s doing better with whatever is ailing her. She was such a strong counterweight to Danny’s sometimes mercurial character. I would not want to see Jamie and Danny working together as partners. Jamie deserves his own patch of sunshine to thrive and grow into his own person. Danny would always overshadow him. This show is one of my 5 top appointment tv shows.

Comment by Jan – January 4, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Danny’s the detective, Jamie’s the beat cop, they should stay where they are. What they should do is give Jamie a girl! As for Jackie, if she comes back great, if she doesn’t, I’ll get over it.

Comment by Jay – January 8, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DON’T WATCH MERLIN, IT’S A TRAP! This season will crush your soul – not to be overly dramatic or something…

Comment by Anna – January 4, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree thousand fold. Just going to pretend that this season never happened.

Comment by Rachel – January 4, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly, it was a tough watch this season. While I felt it could not have ended any other way, I thought the season was pretty uneven.

Comment by cinephile – January 4, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about True Justice on Reelz doesnt S2 start today?

Comment by Ricky – January 4, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Merlin <3

Comment by Eliza – January 4, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wait i thought fringe was back for 1 ep this week and 2hr series finale next week? i guess i am wrong

Comment by david – January 4, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Portlandia and Billy on the Street.

Comment by Roni – January 4, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IS THERE A REASON THAT MERLIN IS ENDING THIS SEASON. WE KNOW HE BECAME AN OLD MAN. THIS IS A POPULAR SERIES.

Comment by Patricia Pfaff – January 4, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Portlandia. I am excited for this. I love it when they bring in Kyle Maclachlan to play the mayor. And that sketch sounds like it’s going to be pretty funny. My dad is from Portland, so I know the city well, plus I grew up in Seattle. As a native Seattleite, I always wanted to run away to Portland to live when I was a teenager. “Portland. Where young people go to retire.”

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 4, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Man Standing & Malibu Country

Comment by nick1372 – January 4, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge fan of CSI-NY and have been since day 1. That is a great show. Mr. Sinese and the cast are great in this show. I hope it gets renewed for fall 2013.

Comment by Ruby – January 4, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post