All My Children and One Life to Live Creator Agnes Nixon Weighs In on Online Revivals

nixon amcWhether or not the proposed All My Children/One Life to Live reboot actually happens, it now has one very important player giving it the thumbs-up: Agnes Nixon, creator of both daytime dramas.

In a statement released Friday night via Facebook and her blog, Nixon said, “We of the One Life to Live and All My Children families are thrilled to bring our beloved viewers new, ongoing stories from Llanview and Pine Valley.”

RELATED | Susan Lucci on All My Children‘s Scrubbed Online Launch: It’s ‘Simply Untrue’ That I Caused It

It was the first time Nixon spoke publicly about Prospect Park’s second attempt to continue the former ABC soaps — both of which went off the air within the last 13 months — as online ventures.

“I’m overjoyed that so many actors you love have voiced their desire to bring their characters back to life,” Nixon continued. “I’m especially grateful to Prospect Park for deploying the power of you, our fans, to enable this exciting transition to dramatic production for the Internet. It’s a historic moment, comparable to how life was changed when television took over for radio.”

She added: “We hope this wonderful opportunity will be embraced by all as our creative teams gear up to bring our beloved serials back to our daily lives.”

Nixon did not say what role, if any, she would have in the project moving forward.

Late in December, former AMC producer/writer Ginger Smith was reportedly tapped as that show’s showrunner and former OLTL coordinating producer Jennifer Pepperman was named executive producer for the Llanview-set revival.

Though the entertainment production company is keeping most details quiet, it is known that AMC alumni Vincent Irizarry (who played Dr. David Hayward) and Lindsay Hartley (who played Cara Martin) inked deals in late December to once more play their Pine Valley alter egos.

1. Alice says:

Good for both AMC and OLTL. Many people think soaps are/were dying but OLTL was actually making money for ABC in fact they took the money OLTL made and used it for the Katie talk show that has not in fact returned an investment. Now are soaps more expensive than regular reality or talk shows? Yes they are but well they did have over 40 years of loyalty and that’s saying a lot in this day and age.

• TV Gord says:

You have no idea what you’re talking about, but you wouldn’t be the first soap fan who decided to make up “facts” (with no figures) to support a hollow argument.

• Eleanor Carroll says:

Interesting that you make that comment with no facts or a counter argument. Ah, ignorance.

• TV Gord says:

For starters, OLTL was not “making money”. It was coming in under budget when it was cancelled. That’s not the same as making money. (People have been twisting that “fact” since it was first reported.) So, this idea that money from a network show was flowing into the syndicated Katie is a false premise. (I won’t even bother asking how 40 years of “loyalty” is supposed to translate into revenues for ABC, especially since only a fraction of the audience remained loyal to the end.)

• Alice says:

• Alice says:

Well then let me ask you how is Katie doing? Its not making ABC money considering they spent 80 million on the show. Lets be real ABC cancelled to tv staples in favor of reality programming both shows are under performing. As for making money vs under budget well that 80 million came from somewhere OLTL related so they made money somehow. Also TV Gord if you dislike soaps this much why bother going to soap related sites? You also are very negative on Daytime Confidential.

• AJ says:

People need to understand already that Katie Couric’s talk show is produced by ABC/Disney’s syndication division. It’s NOT an ABC network show. While it airs on many ABC affiliates, it’s NOT seen of all of them. So comparing Katie’s ratings and finances to those of soap operas is like comparing apples to oranges in more ways than one. And just so you know, Katie is doing decently by today’s standards for syndication. Yes, it’s not a blockbuster, but it’s far from the failure that many sour soap fans were predicting/hoping. (And I really don’t think it has too much to do with GH preceding her in many places. There’s probably very little crossover audience.)

But some crazy soap fans will take any piece of information and twist it around to suit their own warped agendas. If it makes you people feel better to completely ignore reality, then keep at it.

• AJ says:

Oh, I see. If a person is not an incessant soap shill/cheerleader and expresses even the slightest negative/pessimistic/realistic viewpoint in a comment, that person is automatically bullied, berated, and labeled garbage like “anti-soap”, “soap hater”, etc. It’s downright impossible to have any kind of intelligent debate with some soap fans, and that’s a real shame.

• TV Gord says:

I love soaps. always have. I also love being realistic. Just because I don’t see this Prospect Park thing working doesn’t mean I don’t love soaps, Alice. Try to grasp the concept that not everyone fits into your limited categorizations.

2. My fingers are crossed… but I’m still doubtful.

3. sjc of cny says:

Please execs, lend a hand and get these soaps back on, whatever it takes.
    The fan bases for both AMC and OLTL are here; just waiting to lead the way
    into the future of web soaps. It will not be easy for fans to be tied to the web
    instead of the luxury of being on t.v. but I am willing to do it for the love of the
    soaps that I have watched for years. Put the actors and actresses back to work
    and give them a job. Agnes Nixon, please help convince the original actors that
    this could happen and that a new wave of the future is happening.

4. Chris says:

I’ll believe this when I actually see it. Only the most hardcore AMC/OLTL fans are remotely interested in this, and the reality is that there aren’t many of them left out there. Even if the budgets are slashed (resulting in lower production values), the shows would still be fairly expensive to produce, and I don’t see enough online viewers watching (translating into enough ad revenue) to make up the costs even if these shows actually make it onto the internet. Say both shows need to be aired on TV as well. I still don’t see enough viewers for any cable channel to consider them worth the expense. They’d all most likely LOSE $$$.

Basically, the large majority of casual viewers have moved on from this and don’t care anymore, most older viewers (the core of the daytime soap audience) don’t go online to watch TV, and other potential viewers who might care could easily lose interest if their favorite actors(s)/character(s) aren’t on the proposed revivals. I don’t see very many new viewers tuning in to make up for the previous lost audience.

This whole project has “FLOP” written all over it.

• Pat says:

I agree 100%. This whole plan sounds ridiculous and destined to flat-out collapse, just like last year. Soap fans should really be careful what they wish for.

AMC and OLTL were no longer making enough $$$ for ABC (a broadcast network), so how on earth are these productions going to generate enough ad revenue from just online advertising (especially w/o a cable TV partner) to offset the enormous costs that they would entail? The economics just does not add up. Plus, too much time has passed. Even if a miracle occurred and these soaps actually got going on the internet, I see it being extremely short-lived. Outside of the titles, the shows will almost certainly be unrecognizable and nothing like what people remember given that they’d be working on such a limited budget. Remember what Guiding Light looked like toward the end of its run? I rest my case.

At best, these soaps would probably attract 1/10th of the already shrinking audience that watched them on ABC, and that’s even being generous. Plus, daytime soaps skew old and the core audience seems to be among the least likely groups that would ever switch to an internet viewing system.

• AJ says:

Right on. I can’t believe how many crazy online fans are acting like this is a done deal. I want to know where Prospect Park is getting all the funding to pay for all of this. Mark my words: there’s almost certainly zero chance this will ever get off the ground without a cable channel involved, and I can’t imagine any of them thinking they’d turn any kind of profit. Internet only will never produce enough ad revenue to offset the costs, even with reduced budgets.

• Jean says:

OMG you are either stupid or believe what Nielsen gives you has ratings information. There are millions and millions of viewers for each show. They will make profitable by reducing each show to half and hour and airing them 4 days a week with a recap show on Friday (so every week new viewers can come online and join the story). The web has unlimited potential. People will be able to watch their favorite soaps on the go (Ipad, Iphone, Galaxy tabs etc…). I watch GH during my commute on my I phone !!! This is the future. Network television is dying because the way it is run. I have not sat in front of my Tv box at a specific time to watch a specific show in over a decade! This is not the norm anymore. I go on netflix and watch what I want when I want. I go on Youtube and re-watch Sunset Beach when I want where I want. So I understand real fans being skeptical (cause of the rushed first attempt) but this is by far a bad omen for the two soaps.

• AJ says:

“There are millions and millions of viewers for each show.”

Thanks for giving me a good laugh with that. This is not 1983 anymore. When ABC cancelled AMC and OLTL almost two years ago, they were each attracting only 2.2-2.5 million viewers with only a very small percentage of those people in the coveted 18-49 female demo. The reality is that’s the way that viewership is measured. Those numbers don’t lie and that’s what pays the bills for these shows, like it or not.

If the ratings were steadily declining then and the shows were skewing older and older on broadcast TV, what makes anyone think that most of those former viewers would watch them everyday on a small computer screen and that will account for enough ad revenue to pay for the shows, especially after more than a year away? Young people who were not watching these soaps then are NOT going to start getting into them now. The shows will almost certainly NOT get off the ground with income from online advertising only. It’s only a very loud, small cult group that’s screaming for these shows to come back and that won’t be enough for them to survive like this.

Prospect Park is setting themselves up for another huge fall and anyone thinking rationally can see it from a mile away.

• Eleanor Carroll says:

You are idiotic. Have you ever heard of soapnet? I don’t watch any soaps regularly, but love checking in. Did a soap do something to you? So full of hate!

• Samantha says:

While I’m not jumping off of rooftops excited about them going to the internet (instead of cable first), in defense of this whole PP plan: 1) The rumor is that it is HULU that picked up AMC & OLTL. What better internet network is there? 2) Another rumor flying around is that AMC & OLTL will ALSO air on a cable channel, but that has yet to be confirmed.

• Ruth says:

I think if it works on HULU than maybe a cable network would consider picking them up ,but I don’t see it happening until they see if it is successful on HULU.

• matt surenko says:

Bull , I just moved off ABC and I will watch both AMC and OLTL like I have for 40 yrs.

5. Samantha says:

I’m glad they’re coming back, and reading Agnes Nixon’s comments is just making me overjoyed. She is the most underrated creative genius of our time and she deserves far more adulation than she gets.

That being said, I cannot lie. I know there are rumors of AMC & OLTL being concurrently aired on cable. I hope that happens, and I hope the ratings on cable are spectacular so AMC & OLTL can be expanded to putting on shows in their full glory (kind of like they started out small initially, but expanded back in the early days to become the full hour, 5 days/week we knew).
    The TV to internet transition is certainly groundbreaking, but I don’t think the difference between TV and internet is as black and white as the difference between radio and TV. I would argue that most—especially those who comprise the soap opera audience—prefer watching TV on their TV and not on the internet. Surely, there are countless soap fans who will not even be able to access webisodes, even if they so want to. I personally know at least a dozen soap fans that won’t be able to watch on the internet. So, I’m really hoping they air AMC & OLTL on a cable channel.

Also, with whispers swirling about the change in length of shows, and no new episodes on Fridays, I’m hoping that these revivals won’t turn out to be sub-par and half-baked.

I wish I could urge ABC to lend a hand to Prospect Park to make AMC & OLTL bigger and more in their original forms, whether it be through airing them on one of their several cable channels (Lifetime, ABC Family), or better yet keeping SoapNet around to air these soaps because I have no intention of tuning into any ABC programming (with the exception of General Hospital) until it becomes crystal clear that ABC has made an effort to rectify essentially dismantling AMC & OLTL. They don’t even have to publicly admit their mistake; all they have to do is make an effort to help bring these soaps back.

6. AJ says:

This is a complete disaster in the making. I can’t believe that Prospect Park is risking having egg on their faces all over again with this. As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

7. sjc of cny says:

I want to hear from Prospect Park what their ratio findings are and why they feel
    it needs to go on the web instead of tv or cable. Soapnet would be a great channel
    to restart up on. I wish PP would end their silence and tell us how far they are into
    getting the reboot up or is it just wishful thinking. Who besides David and Cara from
    AMC have signed up? We need the original characters back; hope that is understood
    by PP. Break the silence PP, communicate with the fans.

8. eloise says:

boy is she a class act!

9. TV Gord says:

It would be great to read some kind of unbiased report on how Prospect Park hopes to make this economically viable or feasible. Where is the money going to come from? I can’t see it being advertiser-supported. If that’s going to be their main source of revenue, I can’t see the cast and crew making a living wage. It just doesn’t make sense.

All we’ve heard so far is wishful thinking from Vincent and Agnes, and some soap fans are reading all sorts of firm commitments into their words (even though Vincent wrote, “Let’s all keep our fingers crossed together that it becomes a reality.”). Where is Prospect Park? Especially when there’s so much suspicion and so many shady allegations around the people behind the organization, you would think they would have responded to all of these rumors by now.

I guess we’ll have to wait until the end of February and see what happens, in true soap opera style. Tune in again…hopefully…maybe…if we’re not being duped again…

10. cyclone says:

I fully support this venture and I am very happy and proud that Prospect Park is giving it another chance. They admit they bit off more than they could chew before but are ready now to take it to the next level. It is some what apropos that soaps are the first to make the transition to the web since they were one of the first to make the jump from radio to TV. I know their are other web series out there but nothing like this (daily, 1/2 hr.). People think that soaps are a dying form when really just like anything viewers had just changed their viewing habits. It would have been something if they took into account the SoapNet and online numbers too but they didn’t. Soaps in other countries UK/AUS thrive because they have talented actors to bring the story to life and not just the hottest calendar pinup who can’t put 2 sentences together like most US soaps use, but that’s a different complaint. Anyway good for Prospect Park.

11. TV Gord says:

“It’s a historic moment, comparable to how life was changed when television took over for radio.” –Agnes Nixon

It’s not comparable at all. When radio transitioned to television, they were the only two games in town. Today, the sources of entertainment are almost limitless, but there are still only SO MANY viewers to spread around. This is nothing like the glory days of radio and television.

12. AJ says:

I just love how crazy daytime soap fans keep ignoring reality and making up and twisting the facts to suit their own biased, half-baked agendas. Take any comments you read attached to these articles with many grains of salt.

• TV Gord says:

For the record, I am a daytime soap fan and have been since I was as young as eight or nine (they were just like my comic books ;-). Also for the record, I agree with everything you have written. That’s what it’s important to say SOME daytime soap fans. ;-) Although you did say crazy daytime soap fans, so I guess that does help to narrow the group down a little. Anyway, I just wanted to clear up that we’re not all irrational. I would love it if this crazy half-baked idea could work, especially since I’ve always been a fan of AMC and OLTL. I just can’t see how it can work.

I really didn’t think soap fans would fall for this line again (especially from the fooled-us-once Prospect Park), but I see some people grasping at any faint hope that this could happen all over again. It’s sad.

13. TV Gord says:

Sorry, I meant to write, “that’s WHY it’s important to say…” (my kingdom for an edit button)

14. Mary Lou says:

I am so happy to hear this from Agnes Nixon. It bolsters my faith that the shows really will return to us. Nothing could make me happier, and I will support the reboots in whatever format they run. I would be thrilled if Ms. Nixon was involved somehow. I would be positive then that the project was in the best of hands.

15. Christy says:

I am so excited and cannot wait to tune in!

16. Natalia says:

Love hearing from Agnes Nixon. Hopefully Marc Cherry and ABC Studios will work with Susan Lucci and her Devious Maids schedule so that she can participate in the reboot of All My Children.

• Skater Boy says:

Hopefully Marc Cherry and et al will see the value of having Lucci still do AMC to help the ratings on Maids b uthere is yet another stumbling block – Lucci also has Deadly Affairs. and so much for her return for episodes on Hot IN Cleveland and Army Wives.

17. Ella says:

There is an audience for daytime drama. Hopefully Prospect Park will air the shows on cable as well as online. That way, they will reach a wider audience. I do hope that GH will be able to continue to incorporate OLTL characters because that cross promotion would be good for both shows. Whatever happens, I also hope that GH continues to thrive. As the lone remaining ABC soap, I want it to remain on the air. Is there any chance of SoapNet airing the revived OLTL and AMC exclusively? I thought the channel was going off air but it is still around. Why?

• Chris says:

I’ll be very surprised if these shows ever actually see the light of day on the internet. I just don’t see any way that these shows would survive online with that being their only source of revenue, especially w/o a cable TV partner. And I don’t see any cable channel being interested, thinking that they’ll turn any kind of profit. The audiences would be a fraction of what they were on ABC. I don’t in any way trust Prospect Park with this after what happened last time and am not falling for this again. I think it’s very fishy that no exec from the company is speaking out on any of this. IMO, they are risking total embarrassment and it amazes me how many naive soap fans think that this is a done deal.

• Ella says:

I’m not “naive” nor do I believe it is a “done deal” but I do hope it is a positive step. Hoping doesn’t keep my from being skeptical. As I’ve said before, my fear is that this is another ruse, like it was when AMC & OLTL went off the air. I hope they aren’t rekindling this to let viewers down easy if they plan on cancelling GH. I think ABC working on a reality GH is very concerning. I choose to remain positive, though. I choose to support the ABC daytime shows that I have been a fan of for over 30 years. OLTL, GH & AMC hold a special place in my heart and I will always wish the best for these wonderful shows.

18. Joline says:

I would pay to watch AMC online. I hope they revamp the show with new characters and lose Susan Lucci. (Not because I don’t love her but because I think it’s time to move on from Erica Kane and her salary alone would bankrupt them.)

19. I think they’ll make it on the internet. Look how many people use Netflix and Hula and the like for their television viewing. I myself regularly watch episodes of many shows that I’ve missed online. You nay sayers just don’t believe alot of us are online. Get with it, its 2013.

20. kay says:

Well, this is one stupid soap fan who has not watched ABC since they cancelled my mothers AMC which I watched with her but did not care for and my soap OLTL. I also watched GH but gave it up. I can’t afford a computer so I won’t be watching internet soaps, but I wish them great success.