Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Once Upon a Time, Bones, Office, Supernatural, HIMYM and More!

blog_aa_1.3.13Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Just want to say hello? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Do we really have to wait until January 8 for the next Ask Ausiello?! How much time off does one man need? —Julie
Ausiello: I’m powerless to your guilt trips, Julie. That’s why I interrupted my once-a-decade vacation to bring you a new column. Hope you’re happy.

Question: The lack of Once Upon a Time news regarding August W. Booth/Pinocchio and his current state/possible reunion with his dad is getting on my nerves. Please tell me you have a scoop about him? —Angelique
Ausiello: The best answer series cocreator Eddy Kitsis will part with, regarding August being seen again this season, is: “Perhaps.” He goes on to add, “We are hoping to have him back. August is an important part of the fabric of the story, and it’s a story that we are continuing to tell.” In the meantime, though, Kitsis confirms that “you will get the answer” to what it was that August showed Neal Cassidy to convince him of Emma’s fantastical backstory.

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Shocker: Is [Spoiler] a Goner?!

Question: I have a question about Once Upon a Time: Are there any chances to get the Huntsman/Jamie Dornan back? I miss him so much!!!
Ausiello: As has often been the series creators’ refrain, you will maybe someday see Dornan again in a flashback, but never in Storybrooke. “[Sheriff] Graham is dead,” asserts Kitsis, “and if we brought him back, everyone would say we were messing with continuity. We don’t want to do that.” Kitsis notes that last season revealed one love of Emma’s life — son Henry — while this cycle introduced us to another, Neal Cassidy, who likely will resurface during February sweeps. As for a certain pushy pirate? “Hook is obviously eye-candy,” Kitsis allows. “I don’t know if Emma would stare at him and think he’d be a great father to Henry, but he might be fun in Vegas!”

Question: If you’re looking for any belated holiday gifts for me I’m curious in which episode Ed Helms will return to The Office, and what’s to come soon in regards to Erin and Pete, whom I’m already finding infinitely more compatible with Erin than Andy (with all due respect to the ‘Nard dog). —Todd
Ausiello: Helms returned to work on the show right before the Christmas break, so, by my calculations, that puts Andy’s first episode back at around February or March. And as exec producer Greg Daniels points out, “It was very easy for Erin and Pete to be the romantic focus when he wasn’t around,” adding that Andy’s reappearance makes the situation “more of a horserace.” (He also notes that the triangle has stirred up a number of debates in the writers room, which tells me even they don’t know at this point which guy Erin will choose.)

RELATED | Office Boss Answers $1 Million Question: Will Steve Carell Be Back For Finale?

officeQuestion: I am dying for spoilers on The Office. —Becky
Ausiello: Daniels “definitely encourages” fans to watch the show’s Jan. 24 episode. “We start to break down the mystery of who’s behind the documentary,” he teases. “It’s a total explosive mind-bender.”

RELATED | Bones Exclusive: Meet the New Squintern!

Question: Can you tell us more about the Sweets-Daisy awkwardness you mentioned in your Bones‘ 2013 Preview story? —Sophie
Ausiello: The exes are forced to work together on a case later this month and “they’re both nervous about seeing each other,” previews exec producer Stephen Nathan. “And they do confront each other [about the split].” Bonus Scoop: An upcoming episode will find Booth and Brennan investigating a murder at… The People’s Court!

Question: I never see anything about Chicago Fire, which is one of my favorite new shows. I would love some scoop — it would be a wonderful start to 2013. —Noel
Ausiello: I’m about to make your (new) year, Noel. (But spoiler alert: It’s all downhill from here. Kidding. Maybe.) As you know, Everwood‘s Treat Williams will debut later this month as the father of Taylor Kinney’s Kelly. What you probably don’t know is that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. “They’re absolutely cut from the same cloth,” reveals exec producer Derek Haas. “Their relationship is also very complicated, and they haven’t seen each other in quite a long time. Dad’s a well-respected firefighter in his own right who’s now retired. His relationship with [Kelly's] mom has long since been over, [and now Kelly] is reaching out to him to reconnect.”

Question: I really did not appreciate the blind item bomb you left before Christmas about an actress on a TV drama dying. Just please tell me it’s not Caroline from The Vampire Diaries and all will be forgiven. —Amy
Ausiello: Carline was not the subject of the mini-blind item. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean she isn’t going to die. Hope that was helpful!

daQuestion: Fans all over the globe are saddened and enraged by Matthew’s exit on Downton Abbey. It might make us feel better to know what Downton has in store for Lady Mary without him. Maybe a new love interest? —Kay
Ausiello: No maybe about it: There will definitely be a new man in her life in Season 4. The only question is, will it be someone we’ve met before or someone brand-spankin’ new?

Question: Thanks for the Sons of Anarchy scoop! As I am mourning the ending of the season, could you please make me feel better by offering up some Justified scoop? Your columns are the best. Been reading since TV Guide. —Amie
Ausiello: Appreciate the kind words and the loyalty, Amie! To show my appreciation, you’re about to get some incredibly specific intel on the opening scene of  next Tuesday’s Season 4 premiere, care of exec producer Graham Yost. “It opens with a flashback to something that happened 30 years ago,” he explains. “There’s a guy out getting his paper in the morning in a town in Kentucky, and he goes [back] inside and he hears this whistling sound and a thump. He walks back outside and there’s a man dead in the street with a parachute billowing and a bag broken open with bricks of cocaine spilling out.” The mystery that Yost says will serve “as the spine of the season” is: “Who was that man?” The requisite wrinkle: Arlo probably knows. Bonus Scoop: Newly-minted Mindy Project series regular Beth Grant is set to guest-star toward the end of the season as a character Yost calls “the Mother of Truth.”

RELATED | Justified Scoop: Winona’s Back — But She’s Not Going to [Spoiler]!

Question: Were you ever able to find out how exactly Kalinda made Nick vanish on The Good Wife? Did she kill him? —George
Ausiello: Exec producer Robert King says he prefers to leave that unanswered question “ambiguous” — for now, at least. “There might be repercussions down the line,” he adds. “But at this moment, it’s mysterious.” Can we at least eliminate murder as a possibility (if for no other reason than to shoot down my colleague Vlada Gelman’s preposterous theory)? Responds fellow EP Michelle King: “We’re not ruling out anything.” That noise you hear is Vlada digging in her heels — and me doing this.

PROCEED TO PAGE 2 FOR MORE ASK AUSIELLO, INCLUDING SCOOP ON SUPERNATURAL,REVENGE, HIMYM AND MORE!

1. Sheila says:

Sorry If I gave the impression to impose my ideas…believe me I’m very very far from that. Jefferson is “preserved” by his insanity, Charming,in a first moment, by his amnesia..Why Graham broke the curse? And, if it’s magic that turns Pinocchio in August, why did he turn into wood before magic came back in Storybrooke?…But you are right..let’s give it time (even if these are just two of my doubts..and even if, if just a bean was needed..well)..I just wanted to provoking make my point. Which is quite the same as yours.Not everybody was cursed the same way and not everybody gets out the same way. So I don’t think that the problem with bringing back Graham/Huntsman is continuity or inconsistency. Dead is dead…until it’s not..because true love is the strongest magic of all and can defeat everything, because Graham’s dead, but not Huntsman…whatever you like. But you can do it without messing with things and with a plausible escamotage..I was questioning the reason why I shouldn’t see this character again..quite weak for me. Obviously that’s my opinion..

• sara says:

Wow! Obviously you love to write, but unfortunately you’re not very good at it. If English is not your first language, OK. If it is, take some classes.

• Louise says:

I think at some point you just have to accept it when the writers make a decision like “dead is dead”. I know it can be hard when you really like a character or when you disagree with the writers about their reasoning for something they wrote. But it’s their show, their decisions.
      I think it makes sense they want death to stick. It’s a very difficult topic to mess with and very, very few shows pull it off well. If it’s not done extremely well it can be a jump the shark moment.
      It’s also a pandora’s box. If Graham can come back, why can’t the other characters that died come back too? At least Daniel, who died the exact same way, should then be brought back as well.

• xav says:

Okay, let’s start. Graham didn’t break the curse. His connection to Emma and Emma’s role as the person who can break the curse started to bring back his memories. August turned back into wood because of the same reason Emma has magic in her: while the curse stripped magic from everyone else, August and Emma in the wardrobe protected them. So when Emma went back into Storybrooke and started things in motion, all the bad things he had done started turning him back into wood as the Blue Fairy explained. Dead is dead for Graham because otherwise it completely makes the emotions behind the other stories useless. Also, pay attention to ‘The Doctor’, they talk about it extensively there.

• Sam says:

I think the point is that there is no magic in this world (cursed or not), but some magic that lives within things survived, i.e., both gold and regina still have some magical items. So Pinocchio was able to retain his humaness. Saying he’s not cursed so his spells remain intact doesn’t quite work, or he wouldn’t have become inanimate when he turned into wood – that spell would have remained as well. There was enough magic in him to remain status quo (and turn him back when he was bad), but there wasn’t enough magic in the world to keep an inanimate puppet alive.

I’m not sure if that really makes sense but it’s all I have to go on.

2. Sheila says:

From TVGuide November 22 :
    “Will Sheriff Graham/The Huntsman (Jamie Dornan) ever return?
    Horowitz: Yes. God, I hope so.
    Kitsis: Jamie Dornan is in London recovering from shoulder surgery, so I think our fans can all wish him well and nurse him back to health so he can be ready to be hungry like the wolf again.”
    ??

• Louise says:

They mean the Huntsman. They always said dead characters like the Huntsman, Daniel, Regina’s father, Snow’s father, etc. can return when the stories go back to a time before their deaths. In the stories about the fairytale land past we can see them again.

I know Graham has fans and I know many Regina fans who ship her with Daniel and still want him back. But I’m afraid the interviews with the writers and the episode were Daniel was brought back to life in Storybrooke are proof that the writers are not bringing dead characters back for good in Storybrooke.

• Nat says:

Daniel… -sigh- Love Noah Bean on OUAT. I hope they can have HIM back. At least for flashbacks to Daniel’s past.

3. sarah says:

I really hope Caroline does not die!
    Thanks for the Chicago Fire scoop!
    Well if the person directing the docmumentry is supposed to be mindblowing then I think it will be Michael Scott!

4. Anon says:

Hmmm, Kitsis is getting on my nerves. It’s a fantasy/fairy tale story and the only one who can’t come back is The Huntsman? Not to mention he’s been the only real death (at least from the main cast) so far. So why should I feel anything about deaths? It feels rather more like they just wanted to get rid of him. I’ve known for a while they don’t plan on him coming back. It only takes a little bit of imagination to come up with a plausible way for him to return that doesn’t relate just to a flashback. And shocking I know, but it will still have continuity. Most people want him to come back. What if he returns in the underworld, “dead?” (they have brought in mythological characters so why not Persephone and Hades?) What if he’s caught between the world of the living and the world of the dead? What if the well could bring him back because he was “lost?” This reeks of writer pride more than fans complaining about continuity. And Neal is the love of Emma’s life? Wow, how epic. The thief, loser guy is her romantic interest? Why should I root for that? And I thought the idea of her with Pinocchio was silly…Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of Once Upon a Time, but there are major problems with it that have been bothering me more and more. I may decide to tune out soon despite my interest in fairy tales and literary stories. One, the dialogue particularly in the fairy tale world has been bad, unnatural and awkward. I think they should hire some people who understand how to write period. That kind of dialogue is different than modern. Hiring someone who understands how to write the past will help them. Two, I’m not completely convinced that the showrunners (I know some of the writers do) actually read the books or stories these characters are based on. Many times they seem like the ideas are “only” coming from movies, Disney cartoons or other shows. It’s frustrating to watch sometimes. And Frankenstein? I almost tuned out after the dwarf episode. They come out of eggs? They can’t have kids? Oh my gosh! As if there should have been a mythology about that. Seriously. Three, the show is too easy to figure out because it’s Lost by numbers (just not as good). Anyway, I could go on. The stories in season two have been relatively weak, so I think they need to do some major tweaking. Am I a bitter fan angry over the Huntsman? No. I just think that his character was the best one of the series. His episode was the strongest, so I wish they would write more episodes like that. I know the show has been a success, so why fix what is apparently working? I guess it’s just me seeing the great potential this show has and wanting to see it reach that. Just a little frustrated rant…Sorry!

5. Celia says:

So….it looks good for a season 5 of parenthood!! I love this show and this weird mid season, season finale makes me nervous that NBC will cancel it!

6. Taki says:

Honestly? I haven’t liked Caroline since she became the caricature of awesomeness in mid-season 2, so I was hoping that she’d be the one to bite the bucket. Oh well, I guess she has too many fans. As long as my girls, Elena and Rebekah, stay alive, I’m happy.

7. Sheila says:

True Louise,I know..but “Maybe..who knows…some day” is different from “God I hope so! just a question of time”..it’s confusing because such hope doesn’t fit for a character you plan to use for a flashback of 8 seconds. About Daniel, I’m not sure it was about bringing him back, but more about what were the means used to have him back, the road Regina took to have him back and, in the end if she deserved to have him back. But that’s how I see that episode and it’s largely debatable…
    Ditto Anon…you are not a bitter fan over the Huntman…neither am I. I just don’t feel satisfied. What’s the point in all Graham story? Really? The only man who breaks the curse with a kiss, who chooses Emma,despite the curse, who’s been chosen by Emma without second thoughts, stronger than Charming in pursuing his feelings and his memories…what was that? It really could be avoided and I wouldn’t be here arguing…noone mentions him, noone knows who killed him, noone knows who he really is…and now Neal? weak, thief…or Hook? pirate who chases children?
    Sorry these are fairytales, God..it has to count somenthing…
    And if you make me see something you can’t expect me not to reason over it.
    I feel like somenthing is suspended, not ended…that’s the point for me.
    Let’s just be plain and say: This is magic land and you can bring back whomever you want in the way you like the most. It’s just been handled badly.

8. BonnieW says:

Bummer! I didn’t know Matthew was leaving Downton Abby. The season hasn’t started yet so isn’t that a major spoiler?

• Erin says:

My thoughts exactly! I know the season has aired in the UK but the first episode hasn’t even aired yet here! I don’t mind the minor spoilers I usually see in this column but this one is HUGE and I was really annoyed to have a huge plot point like this given away.

9. Sheila says:

Right Kara, english not my first language :) Sorry for my mistakes…like to see you write mine :) Fortunately there are a lot of thing I’m not still good at! there’s always something to learn in condivision..I really am having fun :)

10. Jen says:

My dream for the Office Documentary situation is that the person commissioning the documentary is Michael Scott himself. It wouldn’t be out of character for him to want to see himself on TV, or for him to want to know everything that everyone in the office was up to. It would be a little shocking if he learned secrets from watching footage and was actually able to keep them, but certainly the writers could get around that somehow. That would be an awesome mind-blowing reveal. Can’t you see Michael Scott paying a documentary crew to record him at his place of business so that he could pitch it as a reality show at some point? It just sounds right. And maybe that’s how they get him back to Scranton…he has been watching the past two years worth of footage and feels that Andy needs some serious assistance.

11. Sheila says:

I don’t have problem with “dead is dead” Louise, and I agree with you when you say that it’s a pandora’s box to deal with death. I also find it useful to have some fixed point like this. And I don’t have problem with Graham’s death. But, speaking of magic, when you deal with death, I need to understand what you mean with it. You are not dead if you are under a spell, and if your soul has been sucked by I don’t remember the name of those ghosts like prince Philip..right? And you are dead, as far as now, only when your heart is ripped out and crashed, right?
    Because those both seem to be magic outcomes. But if this is the rule I accept it.
    Rules here apply differently and there are a lot of exceptions and explanations as some above have said.
    I just don’t think it’s a problem of continuity.
    PS: True, Graham didn’t break the curse; unique case, he broke His curse, with a kiss.I find it pretty strong.

12. Sheila says:

anyway..now, I imagine with your relief, I go..time’s up :) Thank you all..now with all the clarifications I understand some things better..And I really mean it! I misunderstood or lost some things..
    I also understand that with some good explanation of the facts we can accept everything that’s shown..
    Thanks again..

13. ugh revenge is a damn mess this year…waaaaaay too many things going on with this initiative. it got to messy and complicated. i loved season 1 way better when she was taking a target down each week. emily’s mom is unnecessary. she doesn’t need to return cuz she’ll only just make things worse. just kill off the dead weight– declan and charlotte, jack (as much as i love him) cuz his stupid bar storyline is useless and amanda. let them ride off into the sunset for all i care. i shipped jack/emily before but i like aiden/emily now and jack seems happy w/ amanda and the baby.

14. Tabitha says:

Having watched the Downton Christmas episode, i’m guessing the new man in Lady Mary’s life will be her and Matthew’s son. But secretly i’m hoping it will be Branson, those two have some serious chemistry.

15. Ben says:

Did that blind item about a character being killed off-screen with a closed casket ever get solved? I remember him saying that it was an hour drama and wasn’t on certain networks and there was some speculation it might have been Van Pelt on The Mentalist, but I haven’t seen much about it in a while.

16. Dj says:

The LARping episode is the one with Felicia day so it should be awesome. It would be fun if they dressed as something that would be a nod to something Felicia has done.

17. joina says:

its better not caroline..she is my favorite on tvd..and plzz klaroline is my otp..