Horror Story Season 3: Ryan Murphy Teases 'Romeo & Juliet' Theme, Truly Haunted Location

Taissa Farmiga, Evan Peters: American Horror StoryThough intel on American Horror Story‘s second season didn’t start trickling out until March of last year, already, here in early January, series boss Ryan Murphy is letting slip with some ideas about what he has planned for Season 3.

RELATED | Horror Story Renewed for Season 3, Jessica Lange to Return… But Who’ll She Play?

Whereas the first two Horror stories revolved around a fractured marriage and a malevolent insane asylum, “I sorta feel like for the third version I want to do something that’s a little bit more ‘evil glamour,'” Murphy told EW.com.

Along those lines, Murphy hopes to spin a tale about star-crossed sweethearts a la Season 1’s Violet and Tate (played by Taissa Farmiga and Evan Peters). “One of the things that I missed this season was I really loved having that Romeo & Juliet youth story,” he said. “I want something like that again, and we’re doing something like that in the third season.”

Murphy revealed nothing new about casting (Jessica Lange thus far is on board for a three-peat) nor did he spill on the setting for Season 3’s setting, only to say that versus once again basing the FX hit’s production out of L.A., “We’re contemplating shooting it in a place in the country where true horror has been. We’ve got lots of delicious plans.”

Horror enthusiasts, what’s your first read on “a place in the country where true horror has been”? Should the hotels in and around Salem, Mass. jack up their rates? Is my dream of a “summer camp” theme dashed? (Or is there a real Crystal Lake?!)

1. Michael Debsy says:

I’m definitely thinking New Orleans and playing with Voodoo and witchcraft. Murphy also stated it wouldn’t be revealed like last season (a character said “asylum”) so the song I believe was the clue!! If Murphy takes on a voodoo them that will get really creepy!!

2. heide says:

Come on it will be a castle… the references were all over the past 2 episodes.. her highness.. the queen of candy land .. holding court… subjects… being top queen. the reference to snow white, repunzell, sleeping beauty.. yes they are all disney princess but the castle is based on Castle Neuschwanstein. and he said he wanted to go to another country….

• Yamato says:

Actually, he did NOT say he wanted to go to another country. He stated they wanted to go to somewhere within THIS (the United States) country where true horror has happened. Besides, the show is called American Horror Story for a reason… But I do like your suggestions about the clues.

3. katie says:

I think it’s going to be in Washington D.C. The song “The Name Game” was on the album “Shirley Ellis in Action” in 1964 and the album “The Complete Congress” did not come out until 2001. So how would it have been on a record if it didn’t come out until 2001? Has to be the clue!

4. Justin says:

Young star crossed lovers and true horror… maybe columbine or a haunted college?

5. Bob says:

Ooohh! Maybe a southern plantation with a tattered past?

6. will says:

am i the only one who thinks it would be cool,to see the house of season one.
    a ghost story with new people in the house,same cast as season one and two
    lana,pepper(with out make up)

7. he also stated about the theme being hidden in episode 10 and i think it has something to do with alien

8. kat says:

I’d love the type of serial killer take on it, being real horror and all. And if that’s the case, I would absolutely die if he added Juliette Lewis to the show. Female serial killer, and she plays crazy so well.
    Otherwise, he’s already said the location will not be in one place all season, so the New Orleans idea is great but implausible. I’m voting circus, circa 20’s and 30’s. Even adding on the serial killer aspect to that, considering it’s a traveling circus and the best possible place for them to hide.
    Just my opinion.

9. Chris says:

I was lookin for the clues too, but the only thing I could come up with was that they mentioned Paris and New York a few times in those last 3 episodes. All I know is that I will be glued to my tv no matter what. By far, my favorite show on the tube.

10. sarah says:

So many good suggestions.
    I really like the school idea, but I thnk we are hitting gold with the side show freaks idea. If you thnk ryan said “star-crosses lovers”, so maybe a carnival goer falls in love wit part of the attraction?
    Look how much publicity pepper got…I thnk they shld stick wit a carnivale side show freak approach. And you can easily add witch craft into it…GYPSIES?!?!

11. pamela says:

rather than put a random mammering about what so n so loves or thinks I want facts….when does the 3rd season ahs actually begin? and I keep seeing snipets that being human UK is due to start again–is this true? and how?