Ratings: ABC Rocks New Year's Eve Hard — Which Countdown Special Got Your Vote?

Get More: News, Ratings

RYAN SEACREST, JENNY MCCARTHYABC’s Rockin’ block of New Year’s Eve programming dominated the Monday ratings, delivering a few superlatives along the way.

From 8 to 10 pm — and with no rivals breaking a 1.0 rating — the Alphabet network’s tribute to dearly departed Dec. 31 ringmaster Dick Clark averaged 9.4 million total viewers and a 2.6 rating.

RELATED | What’s New on TV in 2013? A Guide to The Following, The Americans and 16 Other Shows

The primetime hour of ABC’s Ryan Seacrest-fronted New Year’s Eve programming at 10 o’clock swelled to 13.3 million (its largest audience ever, since 2000) and a 4.1 demo rating. (By comparison, NBC’s Carson Daly-led revelry did 3.8 mil/1.1 from 10 to 11.)

All told, ABC notes, its three-hour primetime block was up 168 percent in total audience versus its closest rival (CBS), bested a combined CBS, Fox and NBC in the demo by 15 percent and gave the network its best numbers in 12 years. (That said, no amount of ratings largesse will keep Jenny McCarthy from waking up with a cold sore this morning. Also, can we declare a moratorium on trying to interview PSY? Or will that be a moot issue in the New Year?)

RELATED | Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres and Finales Calendar

Elsewhere, the second of The Mob Doctor‘s final four episodes did 2.35 mil and a 0.4, down a tenth from the freshman Fox drama’s Saturday return (and of course dropping sharply from its last Monday outing). How did the Bones Easter egg hunt” go?

Comments (40)

• Flipped between ABC and CNN, but thoroughly enjoyed Kathy and Cooper much better than Seacrest and McCarthy

Comment by Gretchen – January 1, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Watched CNN. Kathy is made for “live” TV. She and Anderson were funny and entertaining together.

Comment by Bea – January 1, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kathy and Anderson. I laughed all night. They are the best. :)

Comment by Kim R – January 1, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved everything about Kathy and Anderson. Especially when she made fun of Taylor Swift.

Comment by Rebecca – January 2, 2013 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Jenny’s forehead moved the entire night.

Comment by AB – January 1, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I watched Seacrest and McCarthy, I cannot understand what Jenny McCarthy brings to the party. She brings a low class feel to the party (for me, just an opinion). But I was nostalgic for the old Dick Clark years when he was physically able to be out and about among the crowd. Ryan Seacrest is capable of keeping the show moving and he is a competent host but he lacks Dick Clark’s charm.

Comment by chistosa – January 1, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched CNN. The music-based shows are awful.

Comment by LOL – January 1, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kathy & Anderson are the most fun even if it is just about her trying to embarrass him. Jenny McCarthy is annoying and not s

Comment by ES – January 1, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stupid phone – she is not someone I would tune in to watch EVER.

Comment by ES – January 1, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson and Kathy are the best! They are so funny and entertaining together. The best part was when she kept trying to go down on him and he kept trying to make it look like nothing was going on hahaha… so funny.

Comment by Laquisha Yo – January 1, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched CBC’s Royal Canadian Air Farce, New Year’s Special. I watch it every year, like clock work. Nothing comes close and no, they don’t do a countdown to New Year’s Eve.

Comment by robinepowell – January 1, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the love for Anderson and Kathy? I’ve watched them every year since they started and they are by far the best! Having Psy and MCHammer stop by was hilarious. The other shows have their music guests who either can’t sing live or are just bad to begin with. I enjoy not having to watch music star after music star and seeing how they celebrate New Years in different parts of the country.

Comment by AJ – January 1, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the ABC program. For me it just isn’t New Year’s Eve without it. I could live without Jenny M but she does give us someone to make fun of.

Comment by Angela – January 1, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched ABC & flipped to Fox now and then. Hated Fergie’s Veronica Lake impersonation. Jenny was just Jenny. Ryan needs better co-hosts.

Comment by JAO – January 1, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t watch Jenny’s face..it just looked so weird. Sad. Also sad to see a 40 year old acting like she is still in her 20′s. Move on and become something better. Ryan is good, I hope he takes the show and keeps the integrity of Dick Clark..but get rid of the trash.

Comment by stef – January 1, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Inappropriateness of Kathy followed by Anderson giggling is a winning combination.

Comment by DaveH – January 1, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have watched CNN if I had cable. I watched ABC.

If NBC wants to actually stop be a laughing stock of TV they need to fire Carson Daly. I watched 5 minutes of the 10 o’clock show and it was HORRIBLE. He has no personality, the camera work looked like someone had a stroke, the music was even worse than ABC. BAD!

Comment by Midori004 – January 1, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We opted for NBC and that was a mistake. It was so boring and awkward. I guess I still prefer it over Fergie and McCarthy though.

Comment by Sam – January 1, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never been into New Year’s Eve, so I went to the movies and saw Django Unchained. Which was REALLY good, I highly recommend it. Kerry Washington is in it, people. So is Walton Goggins. So is that Mr. Sunshine guy from Lost (also Boyd’s dad from Justified). It was a lot of fun, and Leonardo does really good as a bad guy. But mostly what I loved was Christoph Walz as a good guy. That dude steals every scene he’s in. I’m pretty sure I’m in love with Christoph Walz now. I think going to the movies on New Year’s Eve is going to be my new sad, lonely tradition. It takes away the stress of being dateless at midnight, lol. Sorry I strayed away on a tangent about movies on a TV site. Just wanted to plug the movie because I really liked it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 1, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CNN…..Anderson & Kathy all the way!

Comment by GeoDiva – January 1, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched ABC because I always have but its not the same without Dick Clark. Jenny McCarthy is painful to watch and if she is on it next year I will tune into something else.

Comment by Amanda – January 1, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching Kathy’s deadpan face when Anderson was interviewing Honey Boo Boo & her mom. Hahaha! :D

Comment by tahina – January 1, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was so funny. And Anderson knows she’s staring at him with that face and tries not to crack up. I truly did laugh all night. :)

Comment by Kim R – January 1, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kathy’s bawdiness and Anderson’s giggles make them the best New Years Eve team!!

Comment by Lisa – January 1, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kathy and Anderson were wonderful as usual.

Comment by Jo – January 1, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever network Carson Daly is on cause I only watched the Law & Order Party Fouls Unit

Comment by Petra (@MorbidPet) – January 1, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson and Kathy. Who the hell wouldn’t want to watch them?

Comment by Zoe – January 1, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We watched NYE w/ Ryan Seacrest and Jenny McCarthy came on the screen. Out of nowhere, my 10 year old daughter yells out “Eww! Makeup much! How about a little face with your makeup?” My 16 year old girl later commented on how ridiculous the cops thought she was acting and said, “I’d make those faces at her, too.” After that, we just turned it off altogether. It’s pretty bad when the kids can’t even deal with her.

Comment by cyrene myst – January 1, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather see Jenny Garth than Jenny M any day, but I think Ryan will be just as much of an institution over the coming years as was Mr. Clark.

Comment by Templar – January 1, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched a New Years Eve variety special since I was in Junior High. The whole idea is boring–a sham holiday with the same music you hear too much on the radio lipsynced in front of screeching teenagers. Just about anything else on TV would be preferable.

Comment by CJ – January 2, 2013 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE…me and my friends are a lot better than anything on TV – what a snoozefest!!!

Comment by Belle – January 2, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuned in to ABC at 11:55 and tuned out at 12:01. That was about as much as I could stomach.

Comment by ABC – January 2, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jenny McCarthy was not entertaining in my opinion. She is too old to be acting like a 20 year-old. Her face looked strange and stiff – like a mask. (I’m assuming it was due to plastic surgery). Also, not sure having her kiss some strange guy at midnight was appropriate. Is this what our NYE entertainment has been reduced to? Note to the network execs: I’m sure finding the right person to host a live show on NYE in NY is difficult enough – but at least hire people that are real and natural and who are not trying too hard. It comes across very phoney. Ryan seemed more polished. Jenny just seemed like a character. Just my two cents worth. Anyway, Happy New Year!

Comment by AP – January 2, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best New Year’s Eve hosts, by a long shot, are Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin. Unbelievable how two hours can fly by so quickly watching them. Only knock against their show was the worthless segment with (ughhhh!) Honey Boo Boo. I think PSY’s walk-on with MC Hammer was more entertaining!

Comment by Bob – January 2, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson and Kathy….no one at the party wanted to watch any other network.

Comment by JenInChicago – January 2, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson and Kathy. They were the best, the others were scripted and bland!

Comment by Bobby Milford – January 2, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares what ABC ratings were.

Comment by La La – January 4, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New years eve shows were equally horrible on nbc and abc. A dead guy would have been more entertaing! I guess ryan seacreast and carson daily are thecbest great white hopes they git! I just hadvthe tv on but used it to count new year in and then turned it Off and did not watch the show a not ine commercial. My advice find anybody any color with a personality. Its a shame that with all their money ryan and carson cant buy a personality and some taleny.

Comment by truthbtold – January 7, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn small screen and typos. New years eve shows were equally horrible on nbc and abc. A dead guy would have been more entertaing! I guess ryan seacreast and carson daily are the best great white hopes they got. I just had the tv on but used it to count new year in and then turned it Off and did not watch the show a not one commercial. My advice find anybody any color with a personality. Its a shame that with all their money ryan and carson cant buy a personality or some talent. Will just tune in for count down on internet next year. Gangham style….terible…justin beiber boring…jenny mcartney silly a funeral was what these shows were …….A hot mess.

Comment by truthbtold – January 7, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post