What to Watch on New Year's Day: A Buncha Bunheads, Parenthood Returns and More

Parenthood - Season 4On TV Tuesday, the first day of 2013: A Bunheads marathon dances into the new year, the Tournament of Roses Parade is flower-powered, SOAPnet invites you (plus the Tree Hill gang, the West Beverly crew and Miss Veronica Mars) to an after-party and a Parenthood pair gets some well-earned alone time. Here are eight programs to keep on your radar.

11 am Tournament of Roses Parade (ABC and NBC) | What’s the best cure for a New Year’s hangover? Today‘s Al Roker telling you exactly how many daisies went into making the Dole float.

10 am – 7 pm New Year’s Day After-Party (SOAPnet) | Keep the revelry going with party-themed episodes of Veronica Mars (including Alterna-Prom!), One Tree Hill (Rachel’s graduation-party Spice Girls dance number!) and Beverly Hills 90210 (including… what the heck, they’re all worth mentioning! The slumber party where Kelly spills a deep secret, Brenda’s Spring Dance deflowering, Emily Valentine exchanges an egg and, finally, Donna Martin intoxicates!).

11 am – 6 pm Bunheads marathon (ABC Family) | Prep for the series’ Jan. 7 return with seven hours of Amy Sherman-Palladino’s dancey dramedy.

11 am – 4 pm My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic marathon (The Hub) | Kids clamoring for the tube? The little ones can chill out to 10 episodes of Twilight Sparkle and her Ponyville pals learning about friendship.

Noon The Hunger Games (Epix) | I volunteer as tribute! Oh, you’ve got this one, Katniss? Guess I’ll just hang out here with Gale, then….

RELATED | Hot for Winter: Your Calendar of January Premieres and Finales

9 pm Emily Owens, M.D. (The CW) | Emily’s cancer patient won’t agree to reconstructive surgery, fearing that doing so will end her career and relationship.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Wish List for Parenthood, American IdolRevenge and More!

10 pm Parenthood (NBC) | Jasmine and Crosby help a family member who is experiencing money problems; Kristina – who’s sporting a new look — and Adam have a (much needed) night on the town. (Watch video sneak peeks!)

10 pm Storage Wars New York (TLC) | Series premiere: In back to back-episodes, Brooklyn, home to some of the city’s best and biggest rooms, hosts a turf war, then the gang heads up to Harlem to find unexpected treasures.

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from Tuesday’s lineup!

Comments (21)

• I actually like Emily Owens (I know, I know) but this episode you listed for tomorrow isn’t showing where I am (Los Angeles) until Saturday night in favor of the Rose Bowl parade being repeated.

Comment by Michelle – December 31, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…bowl games!

Comment by Jason – December 31, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TCM. My Fair Lady, Camelot and Hello Dolly. Most of the younger members of the family haven’t seen these great musicals, so it’s a perfect day to broaden their music appreciation.

Comment by Templar – January 1, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooo thanks for the info!

Comment by Meres – January 1, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay parenthood is back.Isn’t American horror story back tonight? Happy new years matt

Comment by Dave – January 1, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Alterna-Prom episode of Veronica Mars is hands down my favorite! Logan’s speech to Veronica where he talks about their epic love gets me every time! Jason Dohring at his best!

Comment by Jenna – January 1, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheads and Emily Owens M.D. (loved the last episode)

Comment by Prue – January 1, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Owens MD

Comment by Brandy – January 1, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love emily owens md. I know its been axed but are there any new episodes we haven’t seen ??

Comment by lynn – January 1, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tonight starts the last seven new episodes.

Comment by Brandy – January 1, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Emily Owens too. Wish the network would have hung with it a little longer.

Comment by carolinagirl – January 1, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DANCE MOMS MARATHON TOO

Comment by R – January 1, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to have Parenthood back. On that note: I recently finished watching Friday Night Lights, and my respect for Jason Katims has gotten even higher. Just wish some more of the actors in it could get some quality television roles.

Comment by Superhero – January 1, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Storage Wars New York will be on AETV not TLC.

Comment by Patty – January 1, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can you forget the Honeymooners marathon?!?!?!!!!
    I’ll be watching that and probably the Betty White’s Off Their Rockers mini-marathon at 8.
    I’d also watch Hunger Games but I don’t have Epix. ):

Comment by nick1372 – January 1, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching Soapnet…and maybe flip back and fourth with Science channel’s Fringe marathon–Happy New Year indeed!

Comment by JamandaFan – January 1, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Storage Wars has more spinoffs than CSI. Getting a tad overkill.

Comment by Ari – January 1, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wrong. Both have three series in the franchise.

CSI – Las Vegas, Miami, New York
      Storage Wars – Original, Texas, New York

Comment by RJ – January 1, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is my account being blocked? I tried to post a few comments in my account (user nick1372) and they didn’t go through. I’m using a different email adress for this comment.

Comment by Nick – January 1, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so miss the original 90210, those are amazing eps.

Comment by storaro – January 2, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood is best show on tv right now. Best actors, best acting ever!

Comment by Judy – January 2, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post