Exclusive First Look: New Girl and Ben and Kate Get on Board With the New Year

Get More: Exclusive, First Look

Here’s the perfect thing for your post-Christmas-cookie-binge, pre-New Year’s-champagne-debauchery Friday: cool new shots of the New Girl and Ben and Kate casts to get you jazzed for their 2013 returns.

The Fox comedies will be back on Tuesday, Jan. 8 (at 8:30/7:30c for Ben and Kate, 9 for New Girl) — just around the time your resolutions will come to their quiet, inevitable ends.

Take a peek at the exclusive art — coming to billboards near you next week — below, then sound off in the comments: If you had to spend New Year’s Eve with either the loft gang or the extended Fox family, who would you choose?

@NG_S2_30sheet_Panels[5][3]

BK_Digi_400x1400_for_Publicity[17]

Comments (17)

• That Ben and Kate show could grow into something. Just give us more Ben’s crazy failed business ideas.

Comment by luke – December 28, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Ben and Kate (and New Girl) but i feel that unless ratings spike up, B&K is going to be cancelled.

Comment by K – December 28, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not.. it has such an amazing heart and really good cast. Definitely a hidden gem that most people probably dont know about.

Comment by Danielle H – December 28, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im gonna have to go with the Fox family. and i’d invite zooey deschanel. :D

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 28, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The loft gang, definitely. I can’t get enough of Schmidt and Nick.

Comment by Mindy – December 28, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben and Kate is an adorable show. I watch all of the sudsy drama shows too so it is cool to stop thinking so hard and just laugh at this silly brother and sister and their crazy friends and cute and bright kid. I also have started to really like The New Girl. I didn’t watch much of the first season because I thought it was a show that was good but it may get cancelled. Let’s hope the give that same vote of confidence and keep Ben and Kate around another season or two…or 5. :)

Comment by BJohns – December 28, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Ben & Kate pilot wasn’t the strongest but it’s gotten a lot better. It’s a real gem. Fox has a great Tuesday lineup, even The Mindy Project (which is the worst show in the Tuesday block) has gotten stronger.

Comment by Ari – December 30, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved New Girl since the beginning, but I’m finding that Ben & Kate is starting to eclipse it as my favorite Fox series. I really hope that they give it a chance when it comes to renewals. It needs time to grow/build an audience. It has a fantastic cast and could truly become something amazing.

Comment by Eric – December 28, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These pictures capture the unoriginality and the type of forced writing by committee that makes most shows nowadays come across as factory produced Walmart products.

Both shows feature the token African-American. Kudos to New Girl for taking this a step farther and adding an Indian and a Jew to the mix. Ben and Kate throws in the adorable child. C’mon. This isn’t anywhere close to real or realistic. Every episode ends with the “aww, ain’t that sweet” moment, with a sense that we have previously seen some version of these episodes on I Love Lucy, Friends or Gimme a Break. How can anyone get intellectually invested in something so plastic?

There should be a voice, not an assemblage by committee. Seinfeld had it. Burns and Allen Show had it. Married with Children had it. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Homeland have it. These two shows – despite ZD’s adorable presence – could easily be replaced by two other factory produced shows with forced diversity casts and nobody would notice. It would be the same as changing the garbage liner in an empty trash can: one looks just like the other.

Comment by CJatl – December 29, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its just tv. Its fun to watch.

Comment by Dee – December 29, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow u don’t like Black people, do you?

Comment by jellymoff – December 29, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, that is so off base it’s laughable. If you really think these token characters represent actual people, you need to get out more. I live in a neighborhood that is 50% African American, have been in long term relationships with African American partners, presently have an African American relative living in my home and work in an office that is majority African American and can tell you they are the ones that opened my eyes to how fake the token minorities are that are shoe-horned into these shows. It’s condescending to them that the committees that create these shows feel the need to force diversity into every show. While it may make Hollywood feel superior, this type of fake diversity actually shows how provincial those in show business really are.

Comment by CJatl – December 31, 2012 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The reality is, w/o the “token” Black/Indian(and since when are Jews tokens?) we wouldn’t have a place on television. At the end of the day, we are STILL the minority, and I would much rather see a Black guy play THIS character than a loud mouth, cackling, ignoramus like on the New Normal.

I’m guessing you are the type to only feel comfortable seeing Blacks on tv in the “struggle.” If it’s not about fighting racism or being angry then it just doesn’t seem “realistic” to you.

Comment by Nak – January 2, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmmm… somebody likes to look smart. I enjoy many of the shows you mentioned, but sometimes you just want to laugh. This show does that. I adore the characters on this show. Ben is hysterical!

Comment by dawn – December 30, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CJatl–Looks like you watched the pilot and a few commercials of New Girl. I am tremendously impressed with the amount of depth each character has shown. It is not just a comedy; the writers and cast are comitted to making each character believeable. Lately, as well as last season, Winston (if you know who that is) has shown some very well played, vulnerable moments. How many shows, no matter what genre, show a man dealing with panic attacks? I’m female, but no doubt that subject had to hit home with a few men unaware that they have experienced one. It was handled with empathy and yes, humor, which made it even more endearing. We have to laugh at ourselves along the way to conquer our problems. There is so much wit in the writing, and intuition on the part of the actors. I look forward to it every week and it does not disappoint. Consider how little time they have to play out the comedic scenes as well as dramatic, and that even the cut before a commercial is well-timed. It always leaves me rewinding to watch scenes again, and then wishing I could be part of the fun and hard work that this ensemble delivers every week. Do yourself a favor and watch Season 1 and try to catch up. You may start to see them as people instead of “tokens” filling a spot.

Comment by OldGirl – January 2, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely choose the loft gang! Schmidt is hilarious!

Comment by Wendy – January 3, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The loft gang 100%! I love me some Schmidt and Nick!

Comment by Jennifer – January 3, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post