TVLine's 2012 in Review, Part 2: Best Cliffhanger, Worst New Character and 38 More Categories

Auld acquaintance may be forgot, but for us at TVLine, the year in TV certainly isn’t.

We reviewed the past 12 months of television fare and picked out what we loved, hated and couldn’t shut up about. We’re talking characters, plot twists, casting decisions, cliffhangers… everything from Most Improved Show to Most Ewww-Inducing Amputation Scene (for which there was an unsettling amount of contenders!).

In fact, there was so much to talk about that we split our rundown into two batches. (Here’s Part 1, highlighting the Best and Worst Couples, Most Scandalous Sex Scenes and such.)

As always, we want to hear what you thought about 2012’s TV offerings. So click through the gallery below, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Photo Gallery, Reviews

1. Lilu says:

Most Underrated Actress is STANA KATIC !!!!

2. onlyakb says:

Ow Yeah Chuck as best series finale,even if makes me cry buckets and buckets, still an amazing series finale!! really damn good !!and Bailee Madson as young Snow, she such a delight to watch and plays so close to Ginnifer, amazing kid!!

3. Morgan's Beard says:

Agreed about Chuck as best series finale. I’m so frustrated with the notion that the fact that things weren’t tied up in a pretty pink bow in the end, that means it was bad. Sarah will clearly get most, if not all, of her memories back. Hints were left, and obviously, throughout both episodes. She wasn’t pre-Chuck!Sarah, because that Sarah wouldn’t have asked him to kiss her on the beach. That Sarah also would have killed Chuck, Casey, and Morgan in the penultimate episode without the hesitation. She connected with their story, and to me that was more important than the memories (which will be filled in over time). They also left hints throughout the whole season as to the foundation of their future. Excuse the terrible analogy, but it’s like they gave us the corner parts of a jigsaw puzzle and left us to fill in the rest. And I loved it.

• partisan says:

Sorry wrong. There is NO indication she was getting her memories back, only that she was smart enough to realize that even without the memories that others were telling her the truth so maybe there was something there. Pre chuck Sarah was not a mindless assasin and she saw through the plan to have her kill Chuck. She also may have thought “hey if I fell in love with this guy once then maybe it can happen again.” But without recovering those memories she is not the same person we (the fans as well as Chuck) fell in love with.

People keep saying we can fill it in anyway we want? Then the idea that she blew off Chuck and went back to the CIA is just as valid.

All it would have taken was two words, “I remember” as they faded to black after she saw the drawing. That’s all it would have taken.

4. Maddy says:

Worst new character, hands down, has to be Amelia from Supernatural. Right from the get go she acted horrible towards Sam and now she’s just plain annoying. I pray she doesn’t stick around much longer.

• Sara says:

I’m not sure if she’s the worst or if the Samelia flashbacks just fizzled so badly because of the lack of chemistry between the two actors involved-and this, especially in contrast to the immense chemistry between all three actors involved in the Purgatory sl. They should lose Samelia. If they want some romance they should bring back Benny’s great-grandaughter for Dean. She fits into the Supernatural world better now, and there was way more chemistry between Dean and Elizabeth in their two little scenes together than there ever was between Sam and Amelia in their numerous scenes together in S8 so far. Again, lose Samelia PLEASE!, writers. It’s taking away from an otherwise great season of Supernatural.

5. fetish says:

The worst is Benny. A wannabe Edward Cullen but without the charm. He should go.

6. Mike B. says:

Most underrated actor: Fringe’s, John Noble

• Nina says:

just because he didn’t get an emmy doesn’t mean he’s underrrated. Everybody knows he’s a great actor, but the award shows aren’t really kind to sci fi series.

7. kay says:

UM……. BEST TEARJERKER WAS OPIE’S DEATH FROM SOA

8. jess k says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand how Conrad and Victoria on Revenge are a comedic duo?

9. nick1372 says:

My picks-
    Most Annoying Character: Danny (Revolution)
    Best Character Transformation: Regina (Once Upon a Time)
    Wackiest Plot Twist: Emily’s mom is insane! (Revenge)
    Biggest Tear-Jerker: Traci’s speech after Jerry died
    (Rookie Blue)
    Best Cliff-Hanger: Magic comes to Storybrooke (Once Upon a Time)
    Best Death Scene: Peter (Body of Proof)
    Most Clueless Character: Jason (Revolution)
    Cancellation that hurt the most: Terra Nova
    Most Spot-On Casting: Agree with yours.
    Best Reality Show Judge: Gordon Ramsay (MasterChef)
    Worst New Opening Theme: The New Normal
    Best New Opening Theme: Touch
    Most Ambitious Ill-fated Show: Alcatraz
    Worst New Character on an Established Show: Aiden (Revenge)
    Best New Character on an Established Show: Bear (Person of Interest)
    Most Underrated Reality Show: Betty White’s Off Their Rockers
    Most Convoluted Plot: Whatever’s on Homeland currently (I haven’t even seen this season!)
    Best Single Episode (Drama): “A Land Without Magic” (Once Upon a Time)
    Best Single Episode (Comedy): “The Wedding” (The Middle)
    Best Comedy Duo: Ben & Kate (Ben & Kate)
    Most Undeserving of “Sophomore Slump” Label: Person of Interest
    Most Underrated Actress: Eden Sher (The Middle)
    Most Underrated Actor: Robert Carlyle (Once Upon a Time)
    Most Dissapointing Show: Last Man Standing
    Most Improved Show: Revenge
    Most Underrated Show: Ben & Kate

• Nina says:

Danny from Revolution is not annoying, and Jason is not clueless, are we watching the same show?? Touch is not a new series, get a clue. Most improved show is Revenge? Really?

• nick1372 says:

Touch is a new series. It premiered January 2012. That counts as new for 2012.
        And yes, Revenge seas

• nick1372 says:

Touch is a new series. It premiered January 2012. That counts as new for 2012.
        And yes, Revenge season 1, at least the parts before May, were not great. It completely made up for it this past May and this past fall.
        And Danny is really annoying.

• ReeRee says:

Aiden is not that bad .. I like him with emily

• Gene says:

I agree with your love for Person of Interest. And I think they need to feature Bear in more episodes, and make him useful. He’s got talent, let him run with it!! :-P

On Revolution, I have no idea who “Jason” is. I even tried to look him up, but Imdb doesn’t have him listed.

10. kim says:

Most Underrated Show: Chicago Fire. It receives no love from the critics, but it’s really good!
    Best Finale: House

11. Nina says:

I don’t understand why Conrad and Victoria is in the best duo in comedy. Is that supposed to be a joke?? O.o

12. Dania says:

Best Character Transformation: Carl from the Walking Dead.
    And I’m not talking about his transformation from weepy kid to badass thug, but he has a dark aura that could be either good or bad, depending on his situation. He’s a lovechild of Rick and Shane.

13. A says:

amen to most underrated show

14. ReeRee says:

Most Underrated Show: Private Practice (this season has been amazing!)
    Most Improved Show: Private Practice
    Most Disappointing Show: 666 Park Avenue
    Most Underrated Actor: Josh Radnor (HIMYM)
    Most Underrated Actress: Ellen Pompeo (she is the Grey in Grey’s Anatomy, but rarely gets acknowledged for her amazing acting) and KaDee Strickland (PPP)
    Most Undeserving mention of sophmore bump: Revenge
    Best Comedy Duo: Cristina Yang and Pheeny aka Dr.Thomas (Grey’s)
    Best Single Episode (Comedy): The Final Page – HIMYM
    Best Single Episode (Drama): “Happy Birthday, Mr. President” – Scandal
    Most Convuloted Plot: Once’s three universes at a time
    Best New Character on an Established Show: agree
    Worst New Character on an Established Show: agree
    Best Series Finale: agree
    Most Ambitious Ill Fated Show: Secret Circle
    Most Spot On Casting: agree , but also Victoria’s teenage from Revenge
    Cancelation that Hurts the Most: Secret Circle
    Most Clueless Character: Jack (Revenge)
    Best Death Scene: Lexie (Grey’s )
    Best Cliffhanger: Scandal
    Biggest tearjaker: HIMYM Winter finale with Barney and Robin getting engaged
    Best Character Transformation: agree with Sister Mary on AHS:Asylum
    Most Annoying Character: JEREMY from Vampire Diaries!!! Somebody drink his blood, stab him in heart, bury in a coffin with a knife or dump him in the ocean .. PLEASE!

15. Katie says:

I think Sherlock deserves at least a recognition for best cliffhanger.

16. cuius says:

Reality show not reflecting the real world – all

17. hru says:

wow is this a limited list. I have to disagree with almost the whole thing well at least from what I can see on my phone.

18. Olive says:

Best single episode for drama was definitely Battle of the Blackwater from Game of Thrones. The episode was epic.

19. cailey says:

Love the show but have to agree on Mindy Project’s “worst opening theme” win

• thiagofls says:

Everything about that opening sequence is disastrous, but the song (if you can call it that) is especially bad. Who sings it, Macy Gray on helium?

It even managed to dethrone Up All Night’s terrible opening credits, which keep getting worse with every change the producers make, much like the show itself.

20. Cassandra says:

Kurt and Rachel are the only good thing left to the show!
    A spin-off would have been SO MUCH cheaper and more interesting!
    Chris and Lea are so good together.I could watch them eat ceareals and i’d find them still irresistible

21. cas says:

So how did everyone want GG to end? I thought the ending was fine. Not anything to write home about but they tried to wrap everything up. I feel everyone is saying how stupid it is, but please inform me of how you would have liked it to end? I will agree that the love letter line from Serena was pretty stupid though.

• Natalie says:

The whole thing was stupid and it’s the first time in my life of watching TV, and I watch ALOT of TV, that I ever regret even starting to watch a show. It shouldl have ended with everyone goig their separate ways…away from each other and trying to become better people. All that finale taught me was that all the characters were horrible people and their “happy” endings were not desserved. GG = epic fail tbh.

22. Bailee Madison was really the best casting ever! She is so cute and just perfect alltogether as young Snow.

23. Esaul says:

Don’t agree with Political Animals as a cancellation. It’s been intended from the start as a limited mini series as the commercials described. I never expected it to get renewed due to that alone…

24. Amelie says:

Most underrated show has got to be Cougar Town. Every episode is hilarious and so well-written/acted. Can’t wait for it to be back.

25. Line says:

Oh god, Kristen’s farewell is all over the internet again with all those best of 2012.
    Kristen’s farewell was heartwarming, incredibly sweet and insanely sad, I still can’t watch it without crying.
    She was so great on SNL, she’s one of the funiest persons ever and I will forever miss her on the show!! *-*
    That woman has a special place in my heart ad so does her farewell

26. Caroline says:

I’d say Kristen Wiig’s send-off was also the best tearjearker, because I’m still not able to watch it without crying

27. QueenB says:

I decided to give this site another shot after deleting my bookmark and after seeing Chuck and Blair’s proposal and wedding included in the worst of the year I’ve realised I made a mistake in giving this biased site a second chance Chuck admitting he was an immature child when he said those things to Blair and their vows 3 Words 8 Letters 1 Word 3 letters yes and his whispered I love you after their first kiss as man and wife was epic I get this sites Creator was a Dair shipper but come on be a man about it E! did an interview with Stephanie Savage and it put yours to shame

28. April says:

Could not agree more regarding Suburgatory being the most under rated show. Fell in love with this gem since it’s premiere. The chemistry among the cast is amazing and the fact that it seems to be ignored by the ABC promo department pisses me off all the time. Great show!!!

29. Deb says:

Best Cliffhanger-The Walking dead(Made To Suffer) Yes, we know from the previews that Daryl survives at least the initial attack, but that was not the only thing that had my jaw on the floor at the end of that episode. “You wanted your brother? Now you got ‘im.” i mean did anyone else see The Gov’r’s grave stone in the look Merle sent him? I mean say what you want about Merle(nothing i haven’t!!!) but i believe he takes his big brother role very seriously. I’d say it’s safe to say that he has been….um…less than gentle with Daryl up until now, but i think it’s a “No one can hurt him but ME!” mentality.

And i know some are saying Merle was too calm, so he must’ve been in on it, but when i watched it(and re-watched it b/c I love my TWD) i noticed that if you watch him, from when he feels the gun at his back until the very last second, his eyes were constantly roaming, then he’d lock eyes with Daryl for a second(who was doing the same) then go back to scanning. I personally think he knew with a gun to his back he could hardly fight back, and he and Daryl were trying to figure out their best way of getting out. And, call me crazy, i think they’ve been in a similar pickle before. Just an awesome episode with the most jaw-dropping ending I’ve seen in a VERY long time!

30. Louise says:

Totally agree with the best series finale: CHUCK – beautiful ending to one of the greatest television shows. I miss it so much.

31. Jim Bellomo says:

Well done! You guys got these right for the ones I watch…which is way too many. Great choices. Happy New Year!

32. olivia says:

Biggest Tearjerker; Marks death, Grey´s Anatomy

33. Ally Oop says:

Cancellation that hurt the most for me was definitely Last Resort. It was a loaded show that should have gotten a better chance (aka timeslot).

34. *Waits for an Ugly Betty Spin Off*

35. lamb says:

Most Underrated actor Jason dohring

36. Kav says:

Most Underated Show: Beauty And The Beast.
    It may have started off not so good, but they’ve come a Long way, and have developed the characters & storylines So well. Its become the only show that I rewatch episodes of… Can’t ever get enough of the amazing Kristin Kreuk & Jay Ryan on my screen ;)

37. Amber says:

With you on Elisha Cuthbert being underrated. 24 really gave her a bad name, but she’s actually funny. With you also on Ann Curry and Elementary’s opening theme. Funny how you thought Mindy Project’s theme the worst. It was either TVGuide or Entertainment Weekly that voted it the best.

38. Kay says:

I certainly would have loved for Glee NY spin-off to happen at some point. Now it’s the only reason I watch (and skip everything else) but even then it’s not enough.The seem to want to tell their story with the littlest effort. As much as I love SJP and have warmed up to KH we need more than two recurring mentors and two love interest, we need a whole story and yeah that would mean less McKinley, specially boring Marley.

39. kayla says:

Most underrated actor: Jesse Spencer. He was a wonderful supporting actor in the final season of House and is doing a great job on Chicago Fire!