TVLine Shares Its 2013 Wish List for Walking Dead, Once, Community, Idol, Revenge and More!

Emmy love for an overlooked duo, a satisfying finish for a cult favorite and a Mad Men exit — those are just some of TVLine’s small-screen wishes for 2013.

PREVIEW | Hot for Winter: Your January Premieres and Finales Calendar

Last year, some of our dreams even came true: Dexter got good again, Fringe got early word of its fate and The Vampire Diaries’ Elijah got unstaked (but disappeared again, boo!). And two wishes that didn’t become reality are so dear to our hearts, we’ve included them again! Since we’ve been extra good this year — have you seen all the scoop we brought you? — we think it’s only fair that the TV gods deliver on those and all our hopes for Revenge, The Good Wife, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and many more shows.

So here is what TVLine Founder and Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editors Michael Slezak and Kimberly Roots, West Coast Editor Meg Masters, West Coast Reporter Vlada Gelman and Contributing Editor Andy Patrick have singled out as dream TV scenarios in the New Year. (Coming Tuesday: TVLine readers share their picks.)

Comments (79)

• Seeing haley’s photo on slezak’s wish made my day. go reinhart!

Comment by Kevin – December 24, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Game of thrones wish?

Comment by TV fan – December 24, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree on wanting Victoria Principal back on Dallas!! And as a regular!! But disagree about Aiden on Revenge! I think he’s an awesome addition to the show!

Comment by Scott – December 24, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! I love Aiden on Revenge as well. I also 110% agree, Monica Potter needs an Emmy!

Comment by iMember – December 24, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish that either Madeline Stowe or Emily VanCamp cam get nominated an Emmy for their performances on Revenge. Their killing it with their talent this season and they deserve some recognition! I’m enjoying Season 2 just as much as Season 1, so I can’t wait to see where the rest of this season takes us, especially with the Amanda explosion coming up in February soon!

Comment by iMember – December 24, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love these lists and I agree with a lot of these points. I will stick with wishing the renewal of my bubble (some are actually likely cancelations rather than bubble) shows… Gods of television, please find a way to save Community, Happy Endings, Apartment 23, The Good Wife, Nikita, Hart of Dixie, Chicago Fire and Revolution (if its ratings drop and it becomes bubblish)

Comment by omabin – December 24, 2012 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe I heard that Apt 23 has already been renewed, so that’s one good one for you.

Comment by BTM – December 24, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It hasn’t been renewed, & as much as I want it to be renewed I doubt it will be

Comment by Nick – December 24, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about “Happy Endings.” That show makes me laugh and giggle. I love watching it on DVR after a bad day at work. Hope it is renewed.

Comment by Kim – December 25, 2012 04:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish #3 – Classic.

Comment by Winnie – December 24, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoops – the wish under 3 of 28. AHS goes Eighties camp. Evan Peters can still play a teen, right?

Comment by Winnie – December 24, 2012 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He did one year ago so I would say yes. He hasn’t aged that much and I honestly thought Kit was a 19 or 20-year-old character before I looked it up.

Comment by bryceradick – December 24, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if the Voice judges keep their critiques off camera. it’s not that they don’t critique their acts, it’s just that we don’t see them do it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 24, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly, when Xtina was completely forthright w/ Tony Lucca, calling his performances generic (which they were), people excoriated her for it.

Comment by BTM – December 24, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree with the HIMYM wish, that is what we need to see because Ted is becoming very sad at this point! Love the show, but this season has NOT been great.

Comment by jgiunta – December 24, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has been VERY GREAT

Comment by Mike – December 24, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It has been LEGENDARily AWFUL :>

Comment by forg_gay – December 26, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About The Killing… The original Danish version is better in my opinion. Plus the Larsen case was the first season and it just recently finished its third season/story. Danish version also has a different perpetrator than the American version.

Comment by Michelle – December 24, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waiting for October 19th, aka February 7th. #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Amy – December 24, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town cougar town

Comment by Dave Coug – December 24, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • its not cancelled yet? what’s taking the networks so long?

Comment by Krystal Dannielle (@KrysDannielle) – December 24, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It got revived and put on TBS.

Comment by Zoe – December 24, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sad. It should’ve been put out of its misery.

Comment by B – December 26, 2012 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s starting again within a few weeks. I’ve been seeing previews.

Comment by aleksa – December 25, 2012 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 good seasons of Survivor and a cracking end to AMC’s Breaking Bad

Comment by owen – December 24, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish that Once Upon a Time hadn’t wasted Warren Christie [Alphas] as the bail jumper in the pilot. I watched him in a Christmas movie last night and he’d have been perfect as Henry’s father [remarkable resemblance]. Also, I wish OUAT would bring in Sendhil Ramamurthy as Aladdin. As for Downton Abbey, if Dan Stevens leaves, I hope they just recast him, because he’s been playing it like he’s bored anyway.

Comment by Templar – December 24, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still crossing my fingers for Reshma Shetty from Royal Pains to be Jasmine. Not only does she have the perfect face, figure and hair her attitude is spot on for Jasmine.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – December 24, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not agree more about Monica Potter and Peter Krause! They have always been deserving for Parenthood in past seasons, but they have been killing it this season with Christina’s storyline. There hasn’t been an episode that hasn’t left me gut-renched this season. Someone is going to be hurting Emmy nomination morning if their names aren’t on the ballot.

Comment by Amy – December 24, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would have to agree with you. I think Monica Potter has blown it out of the park with her portrayal of a breast cancer patient. She is so deserving of an emmy her acting has been outstanding!

Comment by Kristi – December 24, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. They are both phenomenal, but they have really been bringing it this season.
      And everyone keeps talking about Monica Potter, but not Peter Krause. She has been killing it, but he has been equally incredible. They both deserve nominations.

Comment by Anna – December 26, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about the Revenge thing…it’s already bad enough I’m missing Revenge and Once a Upon a Time because the Biggest Loser will be back, but when I watch this on my DVR at midnight (trust me, I will) then I better see something worthwhile

Comment by Krystal Dannielle (@KrysDannielle) – December 24, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jillian is back, so I’m tempted to watch. But after last year’s travesty, I don’t feel like it. Are you hearing it’s good?

Comment by Sara – December 24, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Biggest Loser moves to Monday after its premiere,

Comment by Kate – December 25, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great list. Totally agree about The Middle – don’t get me wrong, I love Modern Family, but The Middle is just as great.

Comment by Lil – December 24, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The middle isnt funny at all

Comment by Mike – December 24, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like The Middle. The characters are funny. I enjoy this sitcom,

Comment by jbc – December 25, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A year ago, I would have been right with you on Joan and Roger on Mad Men, but given that he did nothing when Pete brought up the idea of prostituting her to the Jaguar guy, I’m done with them. In this case, the fact that she chose to go through with it is irrelevant. Roger was willing to sell out the mother of his child for an account.

Comment by Morgan – December 24, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, I’m totally with you on the periods in SHIELD. (See what I did there?)

Comment by Ace – December 24, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t agree more on Big Bang Theory. They need to get rid of the wives / girlfriends and stick with the real cast.

Comment by Midori004 – December 24, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somehow I doubt people are going to drop the dots from S.H.I.E.L.D, based solely on the fact of how many times I’ve seen Friends written as F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Comment by Grace – December 24, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, your hatred of Megan always makes me die with laughter. She’s not really my favorite character either. I don’t like that she’s not age appropriate for Don, plus she steals too much screen time from the other characters. I also would love to see Roger and Joan get back together, and my wishes for Community are the same.
    A wish of my own would be that Damien Lewis returns for season 3 of Homeland and we get to see Brody on the run until he eventually gets to come back to Carrie…alive and well. Either that or Damian Lewis just becomes my boyfriend. Either way I’m fine with.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 24, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I recently watched s5 and don’t really see why everyone hates Megan. She’s a different character then we normally see on TV I guess, but that’s because she’s not super likeable. I think she was made to not really like her because she kind of has it all and doesn’t know what the heck to do with it.
      TOTALLY want Joan and Roger back. It’s their time.

Comment by Danielle H – December 24, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Megan. She really grew on me last season. Better than bratty, whimpering Betty. And Don’s kids need SOMEONE to be nice to them.

Comment by gdv – December 26, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really agree with people on revenge, if it would still be at that point then it would not be moving forward and you know people would be annoyed with that as well, I think it’s been just as good as last year.
    Anyway agree with the rest of shows I watch especially Emmys for Monica Potter

Comment by Juan – December 24, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Revenge is doing great this season.

“no more Initiative to distract her”
      umm…the Initiative was the whole reason why Emily’s father was eventually framed in the first place. Americon Initiative blew up the plane, they were then going to frame Conrad, but he and Victoria persuaded the Initiative to let them frame David Clarke instead.
      (it’s not like Conrad and Victoria were sitting around on Sunday morning and decided to blow up a plane and blame it on their neighbor because his dog cr@pped on their lawn or something XD)

And even though I love Emily’s Red sharpie missions, it was only used in 5 out of the 22 episodes of the first season. Why are people acting like that’s what the entire show is about?

sometimes i feel like a lot of the viewers either have really short attention spans or they’re just not very smart :(

Comment by ZmaX – December 24, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree on the The big bang theory’s wish, more Penny! Also the How I met your mother, please don’t make the reveal on the finale…And I share the Fringe (shocking and happy ending) and Revenge (no more Aiden and get Emily focused!) wishes!

Comment by Ikernad – December 24, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I want is for TBS’s Cougar Town to really do well! Their nonstop advertising campaign has been fantastic. They’ve found a great new home, now all we need is a great season and for people to watch it! (A renewal for season five would also make me Very happy!)

Comment by ChrisC – December 24, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree about Cary on The Good Wife. This great show only gets better when they use the considerable talents of Matt Czuchry. More Cary please!

Comment by Dee – December 24, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting Dallas wish….I’d agree that we need to have as many of the original cast as possible for Hagman’s on screen sendoff but really would NOT want Pam around for longer than that. I like Ann Ewing far to much to want Pam back

Comment by anna – December 24, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As for Cary, strangely, really strange indeed. But imo now it’s clear they moved Cary to L&G to make room for Amanda Peet’s character who’s getting more cases and screentime than him. So I don’t think things are going to change in the 2nd half of the season. And if so Matt Czuchry better start to consider new things. That show has failed once again as for Cary’s storyline and Czuchry is too talented to be criminally wasted like that.

Comment by Lucy – December 24, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would love to see the office end with Michael’s wedding to Holly

Comment by karl – December 24, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice story, but was offended by the prominent placement of the Salvation Army ads. Since learning they are very anti-gay, I have refused to support this organization.

Comment by arial2 – December 24, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with most of the Revenge except with Aiden, he is no worse than Jack or Daniel, who in Jacks case is completely worthless. So yes, it needs to return to being more focused, but frankly I’d pick Aiden over Jack and Daniel.

Comment by Mike – December 24, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find it continuously hilarious that literally the only person in the show who isn’t scheming, lying, selfish and a jerk is the one that gets all this virulent hatred. I love Nolan to death but he can be a real A hole sometimes and he actively helps Ems in her revengenda.
      That leaves Jack to be the moral center of the show. He is the gooey center of all the other heinous people. Jack is the nice guy who Emily and Nolan protect because he is the last truly good person that either of them knows. He has a purpose it’s just not a flashy vicious one. Even Daniel is nice to him. He keeps Declan and by proxy Charlotte from falling completely off the rails and I don’t even want to think of all the horrific shenanigans that Fauxmanda would have been getting into if she hadn’t had to pretend to be a nice person to get Jack. Sometimes a character’s purpose isn’t what they do but what they cause other characters to do. Jack is a device that the writers use to humanize the violent main character so that we still root for her because when it comes down to it she is still protecting what is sweet and good as well as pursuing her darker revenge path.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – December 24, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG this I love Em’s and Jack together. I think her and Daniel or Her and Aiden are a crutch to her Revenenda. Jack will be her salvation. So either my belief is Takeda switched the DNA results before Ems could or they will do a Roswell and Fauxmanda will Sacrifice herself and leave Emily and Jack with the baby. Crossing my fingers.

Comment by Mika02 – December 24, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fully agreed with the “Community” and “The Office” wishes. Well put.

Comment by Angela – December 24, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish that the characters on The Walking Dead would start to behave like real people again and use their words. Dialogue is a wonderful thing writers, every confrontation does not need to be solely silent glares.

Comment by Zach – December 24, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The part where you people wish for other people to get Emmy recognition — as if any real people care about the Emmys — makes me think of a wish I have for you: Get a life. :)

And, sincerely, Happy Holidays.

Comment by Mark – December 24, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You should really make this site compatible with mobile devices.

Comment by Paul – December 24, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my wish is for revenge to get back to get back to the reasons on why we loved this show in the first which is getting back to the original plot and removeing those useless subplots

Comment by aciel – December 24, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wish is that Elliot Stabler returns to the Special Victims Unit. Yes, I know I sound like a broken record, and I know that it’s unlikely at best. But I just can’t get over the way he was explained off after Meloni quit. SVU has been on the top of its game lately, thanks to the new showrunner and very, very interesting plotlines. (Cragen finally got an arc! And it was amazing!) I’d love to see how Elliot could fit into this re-vitalized SVU. I keep hearing Meloni comment that he’d love to return or something, but everything from Warren Leight’s side says differently. I wish they could put aside their differences and give the character the ending he deserves.

Comment by Zoe – December 24, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought that Christopher Meloni should have won an emmy. Seems like shows that have strong male and female leads favor the females a lot of the time when it comes to awards. I thought Meloni did a great job on LOSVU. I like all the new actors in it as well, but it would be wonderful to have him back.

Comment by jbc – December 25, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree on Monica Potter, though I think it’s most importantly the writing, that deserves an Emmy! And Lauren Graham.

Comment by Leonie Henckell (@LeonieJH) – December 24, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to say this but I really wish that Revenge was half as good as any episode from last season — it has completely lost focus and is losing it’s must see status.
    I could not agree with you more about How I met your mother — but they wanted the negotiations to be done now so that they can prolong this show another year. It would not be so frustrating if they didn’t keep toying with us.

Comment by jake – December 24, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with you about revenge i mean all this show needs in order to get back on track is to get emily to focus i mean thats what i like about this show is you could easily fix things unlike other shows that jumped the shark where its hard to get back on track. revenge still has a chance to prove itself in the second half of the season

Comment by aciel – December 24, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lost it’s focus? Emily is right on track with her mission and her Revengenda is moving forward at a good pace.

(i’ll just caopy & Pate from my previous post)
      “the Initiative was the whole reason why Emily’s father was eventually framed in the first place. Americon Initiative blew up the plane, they were then going to frame Conrad, but he and Victoria persuaded the Initiative to let them frame David Clarke instead.

It was also revealed in the flashback episode that Aiden’s father & sister were connected to that original plane crash, which explains why he’s so intent on helping Emily take down the initiative.”

Emily has taken down everyone involved in the scheme and The Initiative is a very big part of it, so she’s gotta take them out too. But right now, the Graysons are her only connection to the Initiative. She needs to get to them through Daniel (that’s why she and Aiden secretly helped him to take over Grayson Global. Emily can easily manipulate Daniel). Emily won’t destroy the Graysons just yet, they are still important to her revengenda.

Comment by ZmaX – December 25, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aiden sucks! I’m so sick of him getting more screen time then the originals. He serves no purpose to the show.

Comment by Maryam – December 25, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with “Parenthood” and “The Middle.” Between my coworkers, my sister, and I— Kleenex you’ve made bank on us. We call it the “Let’s sit around and cry” show. I think because of Monica Potter (who I’ve always thought was great. Even in that crappy chick flick with Freddie Prinze Jr.) and Peter Krause this year… The video that Peter played in the ICU…oh god. Both of them…. And “The Middle”! Whomever is writing for Sue, that person should get so much more credit. If you’re not pretty and popular in junior high and high school, I feel like you can/could relate to Sue. Such great writing.

I just want the writing to stay good in the shows I watch.

Comment by Kim – December 25, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Both shows have been overlooked in the awards dept. Wonderful acting and writing in both of these shows. Love creativity!!!

Comment by jbc – December 25, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL Michael your hate for Megan is hilarious, especially since most critics worship Mad Men. I agree with you obviously. :D

I also hope The Middle gets some Emmy love. I think it’s so much better than Modern Family.

Comment by anna – December 25, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about Nashville, this show is pure GOLD, it deserve to be a smash for sure (the songs are already a smash)

Comment by Lily – December 25, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ow yes please put Amanda back to her original plan in Revenge , I kinda miss her ticking people out of the photo!and this whole momma thing got me a bit lost!! also pls let Nashville be a hit! such a good series and truly deserve a 2nd season, not the audience needs to grow!! and when it comes to Once Upon A Time can someone please check on August in that room, last time we saw him he was back to Pinocchio mode!!

Comment by onlyakb – December 25, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah…Good luck with the Downton wish. Love from across the pond.

Comment by inmourning – December 25, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re: Downton Abbey – Not happening!

Comment by B – December 25, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’still devastated after last night CS… definetely not going to happen…

Comment by Emma – December 26, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Lana Delaney on The Good Wife, please.

Comment by Karol – December 26, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dude, I don’t even watch Parenthood and I’m on the Monica-Potter-Emmy train. She better win. Just the pictures on this site convince me of that.

Comment by Rachel – December 26, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Vlada,
    I’d like to share your optmism about Cary’s future but we are in season 4 and we still need to put ” a storyline for Cary” in a wish list. That’s a not a good sign. And I fear those writers are completely and irreparably deaf and blind when it comes to Cary. Too bad because that could be one of those things which would improve a show which is not as good as before.
    But It’s not so strange, really.
    After what they did with that awful beaten-up plot there’s no chance we’ll get a storyline “soon”. Last year they screwed Cary’s storyline up because the Dana/Cary/Kalinda thing didn’t work and the best thing they could come up with after that was to have him being demoted and fired because “Peter’s racism” (with the usual ridicolous amount of screentime devoted to it).
    This year was even worse. We were subjected to months of useless Nick and when we thought it was Cary’s time to finally shine…they cut off Cary’s parts to end Nick’s plot sooner (a in a shallow way) and without any type of payoff: we were subjected to an absolutely pointelss and absolutely insane.beaten up for nothing. Nobody knows about it. Nothing came up for Cary in terms of a meatier storyline.
    But there’s never payoff with Cary. So there won’t be payoff in the 2nd half of the season for 10 episodes of no screentime, no criminal cases, no major storyarc, no decent follow up for a beaten up. Because those writers obviously don’t give a damn. And because Czuchry has a movie to shoot in February. So let’s be ready for another bunch of episodes with 30 seconds of Cary because if writers and producers weren’t able to plan a story arc for him when he was FULLY AVIABLE I can’t picture what they’ll be able to do with him while he’s not.

Comment by Pat – December 27, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My wish for 2013: Matt Czuchry being casted in something else. I think even a crappy show would use him better.

Comment by Lucy – December 31, 2012 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post