Blind Item: Popular Drama Poised to Break Up Major Couple (and You're Not Going to Like It)

blinditemI hate to be the bearer of bad news just days before Christmas, but this secret has been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks and I simply must get it off my chest.

There’s increasing (read: deafening) buzz that a pivotal couple on a show with a very passionate audience may be going their separate ways by season’s end.

ASK AUSIELLO | Spoilers on HIMYM, Bones, Grey’s Anatomy, Happy Endings, Sons of Anarchy and More!

According to sources, producers of the hour-long drama in question are looking to close out the season with a bang, and they believe splitting up this beloved couple will provide just such a jolt. Additionally, the break-up (which it’s fair to say no one will see coming) would give the series a lot of creative juice as it heads into what could be its final season.

Of course, there are risks — namely, hell hath no fury like a powerful ‘shipper community scorned. And if the separation isn’t handled properly (i.e. if it’s not believable), even non-fans of the lovebirds may revolt.

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Dissects the Finales of Homeland, Dexter, Gossip Girl and More!

So, go ahead. Call me a Grinch in the comments. I deserve it. But while you’re at it, try and guess the identity of the twosome who may be spending their last holiday season together. To help you out, I’ve narrowed down the field of possibilities from 143 to just 9 in the photo gallery below. Consider it an early Christmas present from me to you.

1. Mar says:

Well left greys out first, because with this crazy woman (sorry shonda :p ) you could see it coming….
    the only show that you couldn’t see it coming is once upon a time and Snow & Charming, because it’s Snow & Charming(!). Also it could be once last season, because (i hate to say that because the show is great) after the broken curse and the aftermath of this, what more we can see.??? there isn’t much i think…. :(

ps: i don’t care who of the other show will be…. but left out greys because i will go maddddd :P :p

2. Jim says:

I reckon it’s Julia and Joel…

3. Naomi says:

I’m just glad it can’t be Polivia.

4. Evy says:

When I read that the show could be going into its last season I was relieved because I do believe that Castle’s ratings are still strong enough for a couple of extra seasons. But then I read the “Hell hath no fury” thing and now I just don’t know it anymore… Please don’t let it be Caskett! My other guess would have to be GA (Calzona) or Nikita.

5. rty123 says:

Process of elimination:
    OUAT is definitely not heading into its final season, so Snow and Charming are out. I doubt that the next will be the last season also for Castle and Bones but I wouldn’t rule it out. The more probable would be Grey’s, Parenthood and Nikita. I wouldn’t say that either Parenthood or Nikita has a VERY passionate fanbase. Grey’s is the most likely candidate. I would personally be outraged if MerDer or Calzona broke up.
    The “hell hath no fury” does point to Castle but if they are going to break one of the Booth/Brennan Katie/Castle supercouples, my guess would be Booth and Brennan because the fact that they have a child would make for a more interesting storyline that simply Castle and Beckett going back to being just partners after only one year together.

6. Kim says:

Really hate to think it but it’s probably Caskett. Marlowe and Co have a history of doing nasty things to them at seasons end. Remember the end of S2 when Cadtle ran off with Gina? And they have a very loyal and vocal fan base. This is right up Marlowes alley.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

I don’t think it’s Caskett, for the same reason I don’t think it’s B&B…both sets of partners work together because they choose to. I have a hard time seeing that partnership carrying over post-breakup. Castle would go back to simply writing, Brennan would return to pure anthropology and Beckett and Booth would remain in law enforcement. Frankly a break-up screams Shonda so my guess is Calzona

• beckstle says:

Ummm….1 out of 4 finales is hardly a history. More importantly, Marlowe tells his stories honestly and moving forward. He doesn’t reset – which is what a breakup would do. I have to go with Bones or Grey’s because both shows like random, out of nowhere events to “shake things up” and are logical choices to consider being near it’s last season.

7. grace says:

Bones and Greys are the two shows that are likely only going to have another season. My money is on Calzona. Lots of issues with that couple that have been swept under the rug and after finally getting their grove back, I could see them coming off the rails for a while.

8. Sandra says:

I spent like 15 minutes typing up the reasons why I think it’s this couple but instead of rambling I’ll just put in my guess.

Meredith and Derek.

9. English says:

There is no way in heck that it’s Snow and Charming. That’s just wrong. They can’t go separate ways cuz fate won’t let them. He finds her she finds him Emma saves both of them. Not gonna happen. I’m thinking Castle and Beckett.

10. Renee says:

Before looking at the choices I thought Castle, Bones or Grey’s and yep all three are listed.

• -A says:

Castle is a knockout punch for ABC though. I don’t think it’s going anywhere any time soon. Grey’s seems the likeliest candidate, though Nikita might be it too. Maybe Bones.

11. Monica4185 says:

Any couple breaking up on GA would be not shocking. MerDer had broken up so many time that them breaking up again would have me rolling my eyes.Same with Calzona. The show is about breaking up and making up. So please it so not them at least I hope it’s not any of them.

12. n says:

Angela and Hodgins on Bones.

13. Lucero says:

THIS SCREAM “SHONDA IT’S GOING TO KILL MERDER” ALL OVER THE PLACE. Dear jesus not another trauma, please.

14. mary says:

Hall hath no fury… makes me think it’s Castle but Marlowe said he would never break them up. Also, if they break up what is Castle supposed to do? Sit at home and watch movies. The show doesn’t work that way and I really hope Marlowe isn’t stupid. Season 5 has been great so far so don’t ruin it.

15. Roger Market says:

I could see it being Adam and Kristina just because no one would/should see that coming. Kristina has cancer. Why would she and Adam ever split up at a time like this? And if she is better by the end of the season, that could be even more shocking—Adam leaves his just-in-remission wife? WTF? I, for one, would be pretty pissed off. ;-) Also, Parenthood could be heading into its final season. NBC has been very generous in renewing it these last few season. I’m proud of NBC for giving a good show a chance even though it’s not a ratings powerhouse.

16. Darcy says:

First instinct by reading this was Callie/Arizona and seeing them in the gallery makes me suspect them even more. Greys is getting up there in seasons and this has Shonda written all over it. They have such a passionate fan base and Callie/Arizona especially have a huge one. She can’t kill anyone off with a cliffhanger like she has before because of what happened last year. It wouldn’t make sense for more death so a break up would be the way to go.

The only other option from all the clues given would be Castle/Beckett in my eyes. Booth/Brennan fits most of it but doesn’t have as strong a fanbase as it used to.

17. If it’s #Bones, there will be MUTINY!!!!!! That is al I can say. Now, I am going to try to forget I read this article and get on with my f*cking Christmas. *ugly crying* (Of course this is all a stunt to ruffle our feathers!)

18. I really hope it’s not Booth and Brennan. I love this show too much for it to be them. There’s so much left that the show needs to go through, but I do think it needs to be shaken up a little more.

19. Fiona says:

Darn u!! As long as it ain’t Bones, Parenthood, Nikita, Castle and/or GA, I couldn’t care less. Intact, it better not be or I’ll be holding u personally responsible as u’re the only one who can bombard the show-runners with enuf hate mail/tweets to stop it!

20. Julie says:

Wasn’t Ausiello’s last blind item (the one about the pregnancy) Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy? Doubt the BI involves her again. Plus they were broken apart at the beginning of last season so MerDer have lost all value in a dramatic break-up anymore. Doubt it’s Calzona either since Shonda Rhimes gets too much attention for them. I’m guessing it’s Bones. Although a Castle break-up would shake the fandom up as well…

21. ksu2000grad says:

As long as it’s not a Parenthood couple or Snow & Charming, I’m ok with it.

22. rty123 says:

Also, it can’t be Alicia and Peter because I doubt that even non-fans of the couple would revolt. I would be thrilled if they got divorced so that Alicia can go back to Will.

23. Rachel says:

Noooo not Bones or Castle
    But i think it might be castle because there was a episode called ‘Hell hath no fury’ castillions are a very strong fanbase and no one would expect it to be the last season BBBBBUUUUTTTTT Stana says caskett baby boy in season 7 and in marlowe we trust hopefully

:( i hope im wrong

24. Mel says:

It’s definitely Castle. The show has stunk big time with them hooking up, it’s time to split them up and get to the real stories. The two leads just dont have the romantic chemistry I thought they would have. I think it’d be great if Castle and Beckett split up and the show finally allows for some character development of the entire cast.

• TM says:

Okay, so that’s your opinion, but just to be clear, this show has always been about Castle and Beckett getting together than about anything else( Andrew Marlowe said so himself) so “the real stories” as you call them have never been the purpose of the show. If you watch the show for “the real stories” I can’t understand how you got to season 5 -.-‘

• Steph says:

No romantic chemistry? Maybe I should get my eyes checked.

25. RJ says:

It has to be someone from Parenthood. Wasn’t there something about a couple breaking up in Parenthood that was mentioned earlier this year? I mean, that could have been for Sarah and Mark, but I don’t know. If Kristina and Adam get a divorce, I’m going to be heartbroken, especially after the mid-season finale.

26. pilo says:

Bones – In the season 7 finale they were apart so this year they should come closer together.
    Castle – possible since Castle needs a reason to be away from the NYPD
    Grey’s – MerDer been there done that

27. Diana says:

I think anyone from GREY’S ANATOMY is too obvious, and neither of the couples really fit the profile. Shonda Rhimes has gone on record publicly saying that both of these couples specifically are free from turmoil. She said that she put Callie and Arizona through hell at the early part of this season so their storyline could come back around and make their relationship stronger and show that they’re in it for the long haul, and last year, she said similar things about Meredith and Derek- that they were a couple that would ultimately be together forever, and she’s resigned herself to that now and won’t mess with them again.

Also, people assuming GREY’S is headed into its final season next season because all the original actors only signed on for two more years are wrong. The idea of introducing the new interns this season and weaving them into the show is to prepare the world of the story for a possible cast change, and Shonda has said numerous times that there’s no end in site and the show is prepared to continue on without the original cast (which is why this season is focused on them all and their relationships to each other, just in case any of them go.)

28. Elise says:

Derek and Meredith.

29. darcywilson says:

It’s Castle and Beckett as far as I can guess. Sorry not sorry, shippers.

30. I don't like it but. . . says:

Only guessing on shows I watch of course, I’m thinking it’s gotta be either Bones or “Caskett”. I hate the idea of either show ending any time soon (especially Bones. David Boreanaz has been gracing my television with his presence for the last 15 years in one form or another, I don’t wish for that to change) but both couples just seem to fit the bill the most to me. Especially the writer and the cop, since theirs is so new. I’ll just say I hope it’s P’hood, Nikita, or TGW, that way it won’t matter to me.

31. Kris says:

Oh no. I hope it’s not Beckett and Castle. I think there’s a possibility that it’s their last season next year. Didn’t NF say during Comic Con that he imagines Castle ending with 6 seasons?

• Yasmine_17 says:

Yeah that’s right, the cast wants to end up at 6. But I hope it’s not them!

• Alie Hunter says:

I’m pretty sure the only “cast” member that has said that is NF.Of course they will want to be able to do other projects in the future, but I haven’t heard anyone else put an expiration date on the show.

32. Alexxis says:

Might be calzona (god i hope not) because this sounds like something shonda would do, but my heart says booth and brennan, i don’t know it’s either one of them because their shows seem like only lasting one more season. Can’t be merder because omg that is something everyone can see coming,

33. Zee says:

Either Bones or Nikita for me. Or maybe Parenthood, but I don’t watch it so I wouldn’t know. xD The others aren’t going to their last season. Greys has signed up its starts up to S10. So

34. ABBY says:

Well it obviously is not Peter and Alicia (most fans wouldn’t care) or Snow and Charming as there show is not in a situation where it’s looking like it will be canceled next season. (two couples down).
    And I’d personally rule Nikitta out because it will be lucky to get another season before it canceled, the writers of this show are apparently confident it will come back.
    This doesn’t definitely rule them out, but Parenthood ends in January so their season will likely have wrapped won’t it? And to me this sounds more like it’s on the table rather than set in stone and already filmed. Plus Parenthood IMO is not even a sure thing for a pick-up for one more season. However if it does turn out to be a Parenthood couple I’d go with J&J as I doubt they are ending A&K when she is in treatment for cancer. Maybe if there was another 10 episodes to the season but there’s not there’s four or five so I don’t know how they would get them to the place they are now to divorcing in that time.
    I think Grey’s is the most likely option for only getting one more season however I wouldn’t rule out Castle and Bones.

• ABBY says:

However my other thoughts are… could any Grey’s break up be described as “it’s fair to say no one will see coming”? Personally I expect a couple to break up in every episode of that show and don’t consider anyone safe (you just know certain couples will always reunite).
      I think Booth and Bones, the Parenthood couples and possibly Kate and Castle (but to be honest I’m personally expecting them to have at least one break-up) fit this description the most.

35. Rachel says:

I think its Greys and Meredith and Derek are the couple. Everyone saying no way could it be them is why. They’d be the most surprising and the couple no one would see a breakup coming for.

36. akira says:

IT CANNOT BE CALZONA

37. Deoli says:

Since Meredith is pregnant, the clue of “no one seeing it happen” totally fits, IMO.
    Well, as long as it´s not Castle and Beckett, I´m okay with it! They have the most amazing chemistry I´ve seen in a tv couple in a long time!:)

38. JJ says:

Really gunning for The Good Wife, as that is the one show I have never seen. If it has to be someone else: Callie and Arizona or Mer and Derek. Really like those couples, but Callie/Arizona and the Good Wife were the only two I didn’t gasp “NO!”.

If its Booth/Bones, Snow/Charming, or Julia/Joel I’ll be destroyed.

39. Kathy says:

Callie and Ari have been having tension all season. Them breaking up wouldn’t be something no one would see coming because we’ve been watching them struggle. In contrast, Meredith and Derek have been all happy-happy. That would be a break no one would see coming. My vote goes to MerDer.

40. Nina says:

Castle and Beckett! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!

41. TBH says:

If it was Mer and Der it would be soooo boring. It’s been done so many times before and I don’t see how it would give any creative juice for a final season. They’d either spend the season getting them back together, or having to introduce new love interests, which would not make sense either. Plus if you look at the comments EVERYONE expects it would be them, so it’s hardly ‘out of nowhere’. Same goes for B and B on Bones. Those two couples seem like the usual suspects.

42. What’s important to remember is that Shonda Rhimes promised to stop breaking Mer/Der up like a year or so ago. Also, Ausiello said it was a show that was “likely heading into its final season.” I can’t imagine Once Upon A Time is ending after three season. And a large fanbase? Nikita? really? I figure it either has to be Castle (which seems early for a finish), Bones, or Grey’s Anatomy. Part of me thinks it’s Bones.

43. Grace says:

Mrs. Shonda Rhimes called this, and I quote “THE SEASON OF ROMANCE” Meredith is pregnant, and I’ve got a feeling it will carry through, if Meredith delivers at or before the season finale, which would be premature that would only bring them closer. As for Calzona,the only way for them to get mad is if Alex tells Arizona that he amputated her leg, not callie, but still that wouldn’t constitute a break-up. So it can’t be either of them!

44. mia says:

It CANNOT be Julia + Joel from Parenthood. That would just break my heart. They inspire me.

45. Kalee says:

Sounds like Mikita since out of all of these shows, Nikita is the only true one always on the brink of not seeing another season.

• ABBY says:

That why I think it isn’t Nikita. Nikita is always on the brink of not being renewed the show this blind item is talking about is apparently expecting a final season after this one, Nikita will be lucky to get renewed.

• Michael says:

ABBY are you an idiot. Nikita is a friday show and its right at the door for stripped syndication numbers noway in hell they are gonna cancel a show they can get into syndication territory.

You seriously don’t have any clue how its working in the tv business if you think they are gonna throw away money like that. But maybe you are an idiot that throws away money

• ABBY says:

I have never in my life felt the need to call a stranger an idiot (several times in this case) because they said something (in regards to a fictional TV show for heaven sake) that I didn’t agree with. I really don’t know whats wrong with some people.

• Alan says:

not all nikita fans are like this guy, we are polite when we point out the reasons why it isnt doing badly (apparently people dont understand just how bad fridays on the cw actually is), so i apologise for the way this guy talked to you but he has good points

46. RD says:

I hope it is not Shawn and Juliet on Psych! :-( :-(

47. PamfromCalif says:

I don’t think it is Bones because both leads are busy resigning their contracts and Emily stated in a recent interview she was signed for another entire year and Hart Hanson has said they plan to go a 9th or 10th and Fox is very pleased with their stable ratings and demos, and David recently tweeted they just filmed a big fight/agreement between Bones & Booth before the break and are on #14 they will have already did their fighting episode and being they are filming 26 episodes it’s not them and they are talking of wedding.
    Also Castle just got their leads together and plan to go several more seasons and their fan base would leave in droves and not return, it isn’t these two shows and that’s all I care about. on the blind item list.

• Stacey says:

Ausiello said it’s supposed to be out of “nowhere”. Booth and Brennan are having issues, and have been since the beginning of the season due to her leaving for the summer without him, taking their daughter. So you would think if they are fighting. A breakup wouldn’t be out of thin air. And also, they will always be connected due to Christine. And working together… And Hart has said the marriage issue will be coming up again, by the end of the season. I think the fight that is upcoming is connected to a major plot point that is upcoming in a episode. If there are contracts to still be signed. Why break them up. BONES would not be shocking. Callie and Arizona might. Grey’s Anatomy already got attacked a few years ago by the fans, and some in the media, with breaking up a lesbian couple pretty bizarrely. Imagine if it’s not done right again with Callie and this time Arizona. And this time Callie is cemented with Arizona!

• PKJ says:

Get your facts straight before posting- the interview with Emily was from this past summer( though it was recenty released) so she was talking about season 8 as to being left on her contract. Yes she & David are renegotiating their contracts to go past season 8. For some reason I feel that info will not be released until late spring, when renewals are announced.
      Hart said his current story line could go into season 10, but even now while planning the season finale for season 8, he knows how he wants to end the series., when the times comes. I personally do not see BnB breaking up to make the final season ” more juicy”.

As for my thoughts on the article, my first thought was Greys, because that show has been on too long. Also it has, from what i’ve read, been more like a daytime soap, where couples get together then break-up soon after, then repeats.

Seems like whenever Greys is in a headline someone is either dying, breaking up or having trouble with a pregnancy or getting pregnant.

• Pamfromcalif says:

Read Emily’s new interview Mom & Me from last week she plans to be around for at LEAST another year. David seems very pleased today in his tweets as well, and both being producers of their own show they have been in talks to sign for season 9.

• Linda LV says:

I saw that too better then that I talked to Emily Deschanel about a month ago on location and she’s pretty excited about more seasons of Bones to come so I don’t think it’s Bones. My guess is on Grey’s or The Good Wife.

48. Gilda says:

I haven’t gotten the impression that Castle, The Good Wife, or Once upon a Time are likely to be entering their final seasons. Besides, since last season followed two different timelines of angsty will they/won’t they for Charming and Snow, I don’t see how that would add much for creative juice.
    I’m guessing Merideth and Derek break up and then reunite in the the season (series) finale.