Blind Item: Popular Drama Poised to Break Up Major Couple (and You're Not Going to Like It)

Get More: Blind Item

blinditemI hate to be the bearer of bad news just days before Christmas, but this secret has been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks and I simply must get it off my chest.

There’s increasing (read: deafening) buzz that a pivotal couple on a show with a very passionate audience may be going their separate ways by season’s end.

ASK AUSIELLO | Spoilers on HIMYM, Bones, Grey’s Anatomy, Happy Endings, Sons of Anarchy and More!

According to sources, producers of the hour-long drama in question are looking to close out the season with a bang, and they believe splitting up this beloved couple will provide just such a jolt. Additionally, the break-up (which it’s fair to say no one will see coming) would give the series a lot of creative juice as it heads into what could be its final season.

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Dissects the Finales of Homeland, Dexter, Gossip Girl and More!

So, go ahead. Call me a Grinch in the comments. I deserve it. But while you’re at it, try and guess the identity of the twosome who may be spending their last holiday season together. To help you out, I’ve narrowed down the field of possibilities from 143 to just 9 in the photo gallery below. Consider it an early Christmas present from me to you.

Comments (935)

• I don’t think it’s Castle & Kate or Booth & Brennan. Both those couples have only recently gotten together as a couple. C&K just this season and B&B just last season. I also don’t think it’s Snow & Charming, because I don’t see next them ‘heading into their final season’.

Comment by Angela – December 21, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t think its Booth and Bones or Snow and Charming. B&B just got together and I see them ending the show with them getting married. Plus they have a child together. Hart said that it he could see Bones on for another two seasons so my gut is that its Greys. That would make the most sense.

Comment by Ian – December 21, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it might be MerDer. Greys could possibly going into its final season. Even though I’m not a fan of MerDer this would drive me nuts. Back to season 2 all over again only without the jaw dropping storylines.

Comment by Ed – December 21, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure it won’t be MerDer because Shonda made it very clear once she finally got them together (end of fourth season) that she would NOT break them up again. I’m leaning toward Bones. :(

Comment by candace – December 21, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But she did break them up again… Season 7 finale, remember? They didn’t get a divorce, but they did live apart for a while…

Comment by TM – December 21, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You could hardly call that a break up. They were apart for a little while while Derek threw a hissy fit. That absolutely doesn’t count as a break up. Couples fight.

Comment by Tom – December 21, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well if you’re using the logic that Shonda said she wouldn’t break them up again for it not being MerDer then it can’t be B&B either because Hart has said that once he got them together he would not break them up.

Comment by Frankie707 – December 21, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Shonda likes to lie about the future of her couples. See Mark and Lexie.

Comment by Emma – December 22, 2012 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Hart Hanson said the same exact thing about B&B, that after he got them together he would NOT break them up…so…

Comment by Teresa (@omelette73) – December 22, 2012 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just not Snow/Charming or Rick/Kate please. I do love Joel and Julia too so I’d prefer it not be them either. I have never been a fan of Calzona so I would be totally cool if it was them.

Comment by Kelly – December 21, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones and Booth and I would be po’ed

Comment by Lanna (@Lannatexasgal) – December 21, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda said Mer Der won’t be breaking up again so call me a fanatic but id be upset.

Comment by Jesse – December 21, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shonda also said there would never be a legal marriage or babies for MerDer. Just sayin’

Comment by Taryn – December 21, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i totally agree Jesse, I highly highly doubt that it will be MerDer. Especially because they were the answer to the pregnant “blind item”

Comment by Sarah – December 21, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know Ausiello doesn’t pick his blind items on the basis of equality among shows, right? If he has blind item material, he will publish it, regardless of the fact that there was another blind item about the show.

Comment by TM – December 21, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oh yeah, I’m just saying that i’d be surprised if it was them considering that they are having baby and they went through that with Zola.

Comment by Sarah – December 21, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MerDer. Then they’ll be separated all season 10 with a big reunion to end the show.

Comment by Taryn – December 21, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of these couples, I guess it won’t be Snow and Charming( not heading into final season). Could be Booth and Brennan, but if it is, I doubt it would be more radical than the season 7 finale, so not really a breakup, just a detour. The hints ( hell hath no furry, last holiday season together, shippers, next season might be its last) make me think Castle, but I have no idea what reason they would breakup for(unless Castle puts his foot in it and proposes thus freaking Beckett out). Well, the writers said they wouldn’t and up till now they haven’t let us down, so I just hope that if they do break up, it will be just as a cover, in order for Beckett to protect Castle from those who are after her.(this idea occurred to me because of the “if it’s not believable” bit, cause maybe they’re just faking a breakup).

Comment by TM – December 21, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm, remember Bones season FIVE finale and then that awful season six? Be afraid. Be very, very, afraid. ;)

Comment by beckstle – December 22, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either Bones or Castle.

Comment by The Annoyed Elephant – December 21, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regardless of who it is, I’m guessing the break up will stick for all of six episodes, and the theme of the season will be “Can X and Y find their way back to each other?” (The answer is yes, they can, because obviously the fans will demand it.)

Comment by Erin – December 21, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MerDer

Comment by South – December 21, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well first thought? greys anatomy but with shonda *you see it coming anyways* second thought? castle & beckett but i see the show with 2 more seasons so … im between Booth & Brennan because like the show runs now and the relationship they have *you wont see it coming* and the show run it’s course so i can see a final season for Bones before we start screaming end it before its too late to save it and nikita ,,my bet is on BB (and i dont like it at all )

Comment by shawhs – December 21, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did you people read it said a long running show bones or greys read people read

Comment by Monique – December 21, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t say anywhere that it’s a long running drama. It says it’s an HOUR-LONG DRAMA, which means that every episode lasts roughly one hour as opposed to half an hour.

Comment by TM – December 21, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad it’s not Sam & Dean Winchester

Comment by Craig – December 21, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol, they’ve already been ruined

Comment by Jess – December 21, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry..they are not going to break up Booth and Brennan after making us wait 7 seasons..I don’t think people would watch the show anymore..I don’t think I would..no way could I watch Booth or Brennen move on to someone else..the thought of it makes me gag.. But really the only possiblities are Bones and Grey’s Anatomy though..I don’t think any other show is going into its last..well that just made my day worse :(

Comment by bonesfan – December 21, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree TM. I think ‘hell hath no fury’ is a possible clue. Isn’t that the name of one of Castle’s books referenced in the pilot episode? Seriously hoping Marlowe and the writers don’t go this route. I’m not sure about Bones being a possibility? I don’t think there would necessarily be a ‘revolt’ in the fandom with a B&B breakup. Seems many people don’t like B&B together as it stands now.

Comment by grr-arrgh – December 21, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yep its one of his books but i think the last season thing rules it out because no network likes to let a show go after only 6 seasons unless the rating just collapse spectacularly

Comment by Alan – December 21, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the article it says that even those who don’t want them together will be upset, if the break-up is not believable, so it doesn’t say everyone wants them together. It just says non-canon fans would still want a breakup that doesn’t feel forced (*cough cough* B&B getting together)…

Comment by TM – December 21, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MerDer

Comment by No Place Like Home – December 21, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will and Emma?

Comment by Lori – December 21, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not forgetting that Ausiello said the breakup will happen at the end of this season as the show “heads into what could be its final season.” Such a statement likely isn’t put in as an idle afterthought, so I’m interpreting that as is likely to be its final season. That would seem to rule out GA as well as the other shows mentioned except Parenthood and Nikita, IMO. I’m definitely going with one of those.

Comment by Larc – December 21, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood’s ratings are higher than ever. At this point, I doubt they are only giving it one more season. Grey’s is actually more likely to have only one more season given the fact that most of the main cast only signed 2 year contracts last spring and it’s been on for a really long time.

Comment by Emma – December 22, 2012 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • shonda is on record about a zillion times professing her love for meredith and derek’s relationship. especially since now, maybe for the first time ever, they seem truly happy and in a positive place, i can’t picture it being them. and i think arizona and callie are in there because grey’s is always the easy guess. my gut says this isn’t about grey’s.

Comment by mookie311 – December 21, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Calzona, MerDer, Booth and Brennan are too obvious. If I have to choose one of these I’ll vote for Booth and Brennan. Shonda Rhimes loves Calzona, and she already separated MerDer, and lately she almost separated them again, Meredith is pregnant now so I see this really impossible, and if Shonda is an evil woman I will say goodbye to Grey’s … Booth and Brennan … I love them, I hate the perspective of them as no couple. I think it would be a minor show, “Parenthood” Adam and Kristina for example.

Comment by Alia – December 21, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Callie and Arizona, Grey’s Anatomy. There’s a huge fan base that will be very angry but it’s typical shonda style to break up a major beloved couple. So Callie/Arizona is what comes to mind first. We won’t see that coming, it fits Shonda’s style, and next season might be Grey’s final season, so that points to Grey’s as the show as mentioned.
    And for the record: I won’t be crying over them splitting up.

Comment by Caro – December 21, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is it better not be Meredith and Derek from Grey’s Anatomy!!! Shonda Rhimes sits around talking about “taking her show back from the fans”. Well, she better stop and realize that her show stays on the air BECAUSE of the fans! If the fans are not invested and don’t watch then the show has no ratings…and she has no show! You tick us off and we won’t watch at all…and mark my words…if Shonda Rhimes breaks Meredith and Derek up AGAIN…I will NOT be back to watch season 10 and many other viewers won’t be either!!!

Comment by Jen – December 21, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t see The Good Wife heading into it’s last season next year, so I’ll exclude Alicia and Peter. Also, do they have a big fanbase that will go crazy if they part?! (not really). P.s. Not saying that I’m against them being together, it kinda works

Comment by Karen – December 21, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not watching Grey’s anymore if Calzona breaks up.

Comment by Sara Santana – December 21, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Callie will be free to get some lady loving from someone less annoying.

Comment by Spencer – December 22, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d rather see Callie return to men. She’s not a convincing lesbian.

Comment by Bonnie – December 22, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I couldn’t care less if she wants to be with a man or a woman – I would just love if she broke up with Arizona so I could start enjoying her scenes again. She used to be my favorite character, but I really dislike her wife.

Comment by Emma – December 23, 2012 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, you are truly a disgusting man. After the pre-holiday season we have had with the shootings and the fiscal cliff, you just couldn’t let us have a little diversion with our tv shows and had to destroy any recovery we were feeling toward the holiday season with this spoiler. what an asshat!!

Comment by Kay – December 21, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Def not Snow & Charming. I’m afraid it is Beckett and Castle though I hope not. The show is on fire this season and is incredibly witty. Don’t want to see it move backwards.

Comment by Ella – December 21, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course it isn’t Snow & Charming. The fairytale ends saying the prince and Snow White lived happily ever after.

Comment by Larc – December 21, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MerDer. Shonda is taking the show back.

Comment by Lizzi – December 21, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my first thought before i even saw the photos was boothxbrennan or castlexkate. seriously.

Comment by kat – December 21, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont see once upon a time or castle being a last season thing yet so they are out. Bones i could see going into last season but its hard for me to believe that fox would want to end a show they have put on every nite of the week and got good ratings so id say those 3 shows are out, Id guess one of the 2 couples from parenthood or grey’s

Comment by stephen – December 21, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s B&B I’m gonna be royally PO”d!

But, sadly, I won’t be surprised if it is, knowing HH & Co.

Comment by Sarah – December 21, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I thought that it was Beckett and Castle but the article says drama and Castle is listed as a Comedy, so that is the hope that I am sticking with

Comment by Lea – December 21, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, no. “Castle” is listed as a drama for all lists and categories.

Comment by C – December 21, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s weird that the first couple that came to mind was Castle and Beckett. I don’t watch the show anymore but it would be unexpected and their fans are some of the most passionate ones out there.

I don’t see it being Booth and Brennan (they have a kid and a house, Hart Hanson repeatedly said that they were together for good and they were not breaking up, and everything this season is pointing out towards the opposite direction – many hints and mentions to marriage/romanticism-; yet, they could fit because of all of that, I just don’t feel like it’s them) or Snow and Charming (if not, they “will find each other” and will probably be because of some excuse).

Maybe one of Parenthood’s couples or Nikita? I could see both shows heading into their last seasons yet their fan bases aren’t as passionate as some others.

Grey’s? Well, all my Twitter friends identified the whole thing as something Shonda would do. Their shippers, and fans in general, are really loud and passionate. It would be unexpected for any of those two couples, as well. Yet, Merder are happy at the moment and would seem like the most likely (Calzona are just solving their problems now, right?).

Peter and Alicia might be because of the whole love triangle; I’ve seen P/A and W/A shippers. Next season could be their last season as CBS likes to get rid of one older show. Plus, breaking them up *for good* could bring some really interesting storylines. Moreover, it doesn’t hurt that the some of the last Blind Items have been TGW-related.

I’d definitely go with a show in the middle of the slides (it also fits that the first and last one don’t make any sense to me) – as people tend to pay more attention to the beginning and the end of something – and either a Grey’s, P’hood or TGW couple.

Comment by C – December 21, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Castle and OUAT are still going strong….so I don’t think its them. Frankly, I would expect someone on Grey’s Anatomy or my first bet, Bones….and I love both of those shows….hmmm……

Comment by Ella – December 21, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its not BrennenandBooth!Hart says he never plans B&B break up!!!

Comment by Patricia – December 21, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not what DB suggested at Comic-Con this year. Mind you, I don’t want it to happen; I’m just saying.

Comment by Sarah – December 21, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus, I don’t trust HH & Co, especially HH,at all

Comment by Sarah – December 21, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since its a show going into its probable last season, the only show that makes is Grey’s

Comment by Megan – December 21, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I very much doubt it would be Mer/Der since they have done that storyline with them before like many other’s have said and also the Ausiello’s last blind item was about them (pregnant BI) so can’t see him doing a blind item on the same couple in a row. So scrubbing Mer/Der off the list.
    If i had to choose i’m going with Parenthood or Nikita couple, Booth and Brennan could be in trouble too.

Comment by heather (@auzzigrey) – December 21, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you have no idea how much you just calmed my nerves, thank you!!

Comment by jen – December 28, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate and Rick… “Hell hath no fury”?

Comment by Jesse – December 21, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “hell hath no fury”? Definitely Castle

Comment by Carol – December 21, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it’s not Snowing, Caskett, or MerDer; I’ll be fine. I kinda hope it’s Calzona so that Callie can finally be free. Arizona has always annoyed me.

Comment by Liz – December 21, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my guess judging by the comment “could be the last season…” is either Bones & Booth, or Nikita and Michael. more likely its booth and brennen because we’re not supposed to see it coming, and that would be a bit of a shock for me. It’s definitly not going to be Caskett because I highly doubt it will end after next season seeing as its one of ABC’s most popular shows.

Comment by James – December 21, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Shonda to end the season of ‘romance’ as she has dubbed it with Calz

Comment by Emma – December 21, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn iphone, as i was trying to say, ending the season with Calzona breaking up would be a risky move by Shonda, MerDer aren’t going to break up, they’ve been there and done that. Calzona have a huge fanbase though, myself included in that, so I hope it’s not them, although the logic in me can see that Grey’s is most likely as it’s the most likely to be going into it’s final season. Preparing for a broken heart now!

Comment by Emma – December 21, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • since when are peter and alicia a beloved couple?

Comment by Jo – December 21, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its Meredith and Derek. The original actors signed through season 10 so its likely that will be the end of the show. No one would ever think they would break up at this point in the show which is why they fit the blind item perfectly. Shonda changes her mind and just because she said they wouldn’t break up seasons ago doesn’t mean they won’t now. I also don’t think a pregnancy means they won’t break up. The baby could end up being why they end up back together at the end of the series – the baby keeps them connected even when they split.

Comment by Teresa – December 21, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come on… how realistic would Callie and Arizona be? Like Seriously? How often were they broken up by now? I mean, HUGELY broken up? First with the whole “baby drama” – “i want a baby” – “I don’t” – then they got together, only to break up shortly afterwards AGAIN because Arizona left for Africa, then she came back and they got back together, then Callie almost died and then Arizona almost died and they are not even on “good terms” right now… seriously… how much could a couple take? If they break them up AGAIN, then I damn hope it’s for good… I love Callie/Arizona, but there’s only so much a couple can take, right?
    But on the other hand… this whole “together – not together – together – not together” TOTALLY fits Shonda… and I would say, you can’t trust her, whatever she says…

Didn’t she promise “happy times” for Mark and Lexie to come? yeah, right, now they are both dead… that is very happy… *rolleyes*

I can see Shonda doing that, and it would also fit this line:

“Of course, there are risks — namely, hell hath no fury like a powerful ‘shipper community scorned. And if the separation isn’t handled properly (i.e. if it’s not believable), even non-fans of the lovebirds may revolt.”

Calzona is – together with MerDer – maybe the most popular pairing on the show, and it HAS a powerful shipper community… and like I said, especailly because they have broken up SO often and are just really trying to find a way back, Shonda could totally ruin it by making it not believable… and I also think, even non-fans of Calzona wouldn’t like that…

I mean, I never liked Mark/Lexie, and still the whole stunt Shonda pulled made me angry, so…

Comment by BMShipper – December 21, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh dream on. I’ve gotten to where I can’t stand this couple anymore mainly because of a segment of its fanbase so I hope the do break up. There I said it! Besides, I can see either Sara or Jessica Capshaw leaving the show next season. JCap has 3 small children, just like Chyler Leigh or Sara might want to return to Broadway.

Comment by Carrie – December 21, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody saw the quote?! “Hell hath no fury” its the title of a Castle book…knowing the fandome, I hope the authors watch their back.

Comment by Kello – December 21, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be happy if its any of them except for Booth and Brennan. The couple I immediately thought of was Caskett (and I don’t even watch Castle), and sure enough, there they are.

Comment by Rach – December 21, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Going by the “last season” comment, it’s either Bones, Grey’s, Good Wife or Parenthood. Hart Hanson has said repeatedly that once Booth and Brennan got together he would not be breaking them up so that counts them out. I don’t watch the other shows, but Callie and Arizona on Grey’s seems to fit all the hints as far as passionate fans and it being a shock, so that’s who I’m going with.

Comment by Jen (@NatesMama1128) – December 21, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know he’s said that in the past, but I don’t trust HH & Co, especially HH, at all.

Comment by Sarah – December 21, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont Think is Calzona!! Callie and Arizona are geting better, i hope they will not Separate!!

Comment by Salma – December 21, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post