Blind Item: Popular Drama Poised to Break Up Major Couple (and You're Not Going to Like It)

Get More: Blind Item

blinditemI hate to be the bearer of bad news just days before Christmas, but this secret has been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks and I simply must get it off my chest.

There’s increasing (read: deafening) buzz that a pivotal couple on a show with a very passionate audience may be going their separate ways by season’s end.

ASK AUSIELLO | Spoilers on HIMYM, Bones, Grey’s Anatomy, Happy Endings, Sons of Anarchy and More!

According to sources, producers of the hour-long drama in question are looking to close out the season with a bang, and they believe splitting up this beloved couple will provide just such a jolt. Additionally, the break-up (which it’s fair to say no one will see coming) would give the series a lot of creative juice as it heads into what could be its final season.

Of course, there are risks — namely, hell hath no fury like a powerful ‘shipper community scorned. And if the separation isn’t handled properly (i.e. if it’s not believable), even non-fans of the lovebirds may revolt.

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Dissects the Finales of Homeland, Dexter, Gossip Girl and More!

So, go ahead. Call me a Grinch in the comments. I deserve it. But while you’re at it, try and guess the identity of the twosome who may be spending their last holiday season together. To help you out, I’ve narrowed down the field of possibilities from 143 to just 9 in the photo gallery below. Consider it an early Christmas present from me to you.

Comments (935)

• I think the important line there is “what could be its final season” — I don’t see Castle anywhere near that yet. So it’s likely Bones or Grey’s.

Comment by Winter – December 21, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given it’s ratings. It could be going into it’s final year. But ABC has other problem programs. But I can see. Castle and Beckett are just together, so breaking them up would get people upset. But might bring some juice to the show which has suffered somewhat in the ratings. But I don’t think it’s them or BONES. So I say Parenthood or Grey’s Anatomy,

Comment by Stacey – December 21, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ummm….Castle’s ratings are fine. They’re consistently the most watched scripted show on Monday night. Definitely not going into it’s last season. Bones ratings are ok for a show’s season 7 on FOX, but those actors contracts expire after season 8. Expense-wise it makes sense to be planning to shut it down.

Comment by beckstle – December 21, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except FOX has too many issues to let BONES go unless David and Emily want to go. And given they both have contracts up this year. Would it make sense to break the couple up if it’s not guaranteed to come back, even though it’s a shoo-in if they want to come back. FOX has too many failing shows to lose BONES. So as long as Hart, David and Emily want to go and the ratings are decent. They will be back. And Castle’s ratings were down by the fall finale. It’s doing okay to come back. But it does need mojo. And it does need Dancing with the Stars to give it a boost. And DWTS is failing also… But I don’t think it’s them. Parenthood would shock people. Given Kristina’s cancer battle. Either she dies or she pushes him away because her health is failing…

Comment by Stacey – December 21, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The midseason finale was the lowest Castle’s ever been, but the ratings in December for the show are usually lower than the rest of the season. It still can pull in over 10 million viewers and it’s competitors can’t pull over 10 million viewers. I know the key demo is low, but Castle’s DVR numbers are amazing and networks do look at those ratings. Castle does phenomenal in the C+3 ratings and the Live +3 and Live +7 ratings. It’s also in syndication and is bringing in close to $2million an episode for ABC per TNT rerun. Not to mention the Nikki Heat best sellers and the Derrick Storm novels. Having the low key demo this season isn’t as bad when you take all of this into consideration. Plus, ALL shows are down in the ratings this season, which is why we’re seeing Nielsen teaming with Twitter to guage tv audiences and popularity. This is where Castle is one of the top shows discussed on twitter and facebook and other online sites.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but you can’t pull the low fall finale rating bit without explaining how all of their December finales are low in rating. It still pulled 8.4M viewers. It’s also ABC’s most watched scripted drama. It doesn’t matter what the competitors are doing, but what Castle’s doing for ABC. And it’s bringing in good revenue with the books and the syndication.

Comment by CaskettRdaBEST – December 21, 2012 07:06 PM PDT
  • Pretty sure we can rule out Snow/Charming and Rick/Kate since there’s no way OUAT or Castle would be seen as potentially ending next season.

I’m thinking it’s probably either Parenthood couple and the thought of either breaking up is super depressing.

Comment by Josh – December 21, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Booth and Brennan

Comment by Kourt – December 21, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Immediately thought of Greys. Most of the other shows don’t seem to close to the bring of ending aside from Bones, but it took so long to get Booth and Brennan together I can’t imagine it ending. As for Grey’s, Meredith and Derek have been through the on and off again thing too much. If they are off again I will be pissed. However Callie and Arizona can split no problem. They are so super very boring. This whole legless storyline is just dull.

Comment by Brynna – December 21, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith and Derek. 100%.

Comment by Isak – December 21, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mer and Der are getting their happy ending, it is been said by Shonda!

Comment by sarah – December 21, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! I agree. It’s not going to be Meredith and Derek. It would be way to repetitive and Shonda has said it’s never been a question of their relationship.

Comment by Tess – December 21, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope you’re right, ’cause the only other possibility would be Booth and Brennan, and that would be just terrible

Comment by tv_addict – December 21, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Parenthood until I read the “may be heading into its final season.” I think it’s on the bubble for renewal. My guess is going to be Calzona.

Comment by Meg – December 21, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my guess calzona

Comment by maria – December 21, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all, are Peter and Alicia even TOGETHER together? Secondly, are they really considered popular when half the fandom ships Alicia with Will?
    Either way, doubt it’s them. Though I wish Alicia would finally divorce him or reconcile completely; this FOUR YEAR in limbo relationship status is bogus.

Comment by Saint Alicia – December 21, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankly, the only couple I could care less about is Snow and Charming…and when I say “care,” I mean: PLEASE BREAK UP THIS SICKENINGLY SWEET COUPLE. For the love of all fairytale land, stop shoving this “happy, sappy couple” down our throats. They are the absolute weakest part of Once Upon A Time.

Comment by pantheralumguy – December 21, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! We never even got to see them fall in love – they just decided after their first meeting that they actually were in love! The fact that they are “meant to be” allows them to put themselves before everybody else. It’s gross.

Comment by fiyero – December 21, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gross?

Well that’s just too bad that you don’t like them because they won’t be breaking up.

Comment by Mary – December 22, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing someone on Parenthood. I don’t think it will be Joel and Julia. I think it will be Adam and Kristina. I hope hope hope it isn’t. I don’t think it’s Castle & Beckett – I don’t think this would be the last season. It’s gonna be Bones, or Parenthood, possibly Mer/Der.

Comment by Sara – December 21, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood’s season ends in January, and given the fact that Kristina literally almost died in the last episode (which was supposed to be on Christmas Eve), I highly doubt she and Adam are going to break up within the next month.

Comment by Anna – December 22, 2012 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so afraid it might be one from Grey’s. I was readig and thinking “No they can’t split MerDer”. But it would make sense for Grey’s to end either this year or the next.

Comment by Annie-C – December 21, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Possibly a final season? Nikita, IMHO.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – December 21, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT is entering a third season, it’s a young enough show I can’t see them being headed into possibly their final season based on ratings. So Snow & Charming are safe.

Booth and Brennan are having relationship issues, but it would be an obvious ending and we aren’t supposed to see it coming.

Meredith and Derek are very unlikely as Shonda likes to kill people in her season finales. She also adores Calzona, so I don’t see that happening either.

I’ve heard numerous times Nikita is ending next season, so I would probably guess that couple.

Comment by Thilia – December 21, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was MerDer but it could also be Booth&Brennan since it says the show has one more season left and they both have a big following.

Comment by amy – December 21, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Meredith and Derek on Grey’s. Its something no one would see coming and that is sure a fanbase that works up a fury over everything.

Comment by Amanda – December 21, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually most of us would see it coming. Rhimes breaks MerDer up practically every season, so this would be such a “been there-done that” moment that this impact the shows producers hope it will get mos likely won’t be what they want. In terms of the storyline, the character Meredith will be having a baby sometime later this season would make Shonda Rhimes beloved “McDreamy” one of the worst characters known to man to leave his wife, a toddler (Zola), and a newborn in the SL, so I’m thinking that’s a pretty bad idea (and not a very creative one either) on her part. I think it’s Booth/Brennan on Bones.

Comment by Annie – December 21, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith is pregnant. I can’t see them breaking up. Maybe Callie and Arizona. They have had issues lately due to her loss of a leg. And Grey’s could be going into it’s final year. And would Brennan and Booth really be that surprising given their issues surrounding Brennan leaving last summer? And still they would be tied together with their daughter. Wouldn’t Parenthood be “Out of nowhere” with Adam and Kristina given her health problems. He did say it would be coming out of nowhere. Brennan and Booth has been having issues… I am not sure BONES needs to break them up to continue going creatively next year. But then with Meredith pregnant. A breakup would be out of nowhere!

Comment by Stacey – December 21, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Snow and Charming please not Snow and. Charming. Booth and Bones well Hart will hear about that on twitter I don’t watch any of the other shows,but please not Snow and Charming

Comment by Lauren – December 21, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS has Shonda Rhimes twisted mind written all over…. This’d better not be Mer/Der.

Comment by Apple – December 21, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones & Castle on that list is enough to scare me :(

Comment by laraprof – December 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is Bones. The logic given for doing the breakup sounds like their M.O. – same thinking that created that awful season six.

Comment by beckstle – December 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just have one question. If this blind item concerns the breakup of a beloved couple that people are going to be sad about, how in the heavens did Alicia and Peter of TGW make the list?!

Comment by Poppy – December 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol my thoughts exactly, I laughed when I saw the picture of them. They’ve pretty much been broken up for the entire series (or in some weird limbo) and I’ve never heard that many complaints about that. I for one hope that by the end of the series that she divorces him once and for all.

Comment by KC – December 21, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy Moly! If it is one of the 9 couples shown then I fear it will be Adam and Christina or Joel and Julia!

Comment by sarah – December 21, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael and Nikita

Comment by KF – December 21, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it’s not Booth and Brennan!! That would break my heart. And please don’t be Castle and Beckett! My two favorite couple on screen. I’m so nervous :(

Comment by Astrid – December 21, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing it’s neither couple from Parenthood because I wouldn’t call the fans passionate and I don’t think the couples really have shippers that actively ship them. I don’t watch The Good Wife, but I feel like the same kind of applies to that couple, from what I’ve seen/haven’t seen? I highly doubt OUAT is even considering a final season, so not them. I don’t watch, but they just got Castle/Beckett together, so that seems unlikely? I’d guess either Grey’s couple or Booth/Brennan. It could also be Michael/Nikita, since in Nikita’s small fandom, they seem to have lots of shippers, and it would definitely open a lot of doors creatively. But they might not even get a next season, so I don’t know if that fits.

Comment by Britney – December 21, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what are you talking about it. Nikita is so close to syndication its practically a guarantee to be renewed. Have you even seen what the CW’s freshman shows and sophmore show gets in the ratings they would be worse in a 3rd year than Nikita now get on fridays

Comment by Michael – December 21, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first reaction was Bones even before I clicked through the gallery..

Comment by Ainav – December 21, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam and Kristina? Because she dies? Because that would make sense. I love Monica Potter. This season has been really, really good.

Comment by Nic – December 21, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better not be my fave couple on Castle.

Comment by Tpotts – December 21, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope the couple isn’t mer and der! They’re having a baby and they’ve been through a lot in the past 9 years…

Comment by Anna – December 21, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s probably Castle/Beckett. Castle is a terrible show, anyway, so it wouldn’t be surprising.

Comment by Grace – December 21, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 10 points to you!

Comment by Chelsea – December 21, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you did NOT just go there.

Comment by Nikki – December 21, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Castle is a terrible show”… well, that´s your opinion. For me, it´s the best of all!!

Comment by Mary – December 21, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To each their own, but Castle averages over 10 million viewers a week, the critics reviews are mostly positive, and they inspire a strong fan base. Objectively speaking, that’s not terrible.

Comment by beckstle – December 22, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either Parenthood or Bones. Snow and Charming are safe (OUaT is not heading towards the final season and I’m pretty sure Disney wouldn’t allow a permanent split), plus Ginny Goodwin mentioned that she herself would revolt if the writers ever broke them up so that won’t happen. Meredith and Derek are having a baby and Shonda said there would be no more breakup drama, it could be Callie and Arizona but I’m kind of leery about that. It’s not Castle because I don’t think those writers are stupid enough to break them up when they just got together.

Comment by Addie – December 21, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones and Booth just got together as well.

Comment by Chelsea – December 21, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops, sorry! I don’t watch Bones and wasn’t sure whether they got together last season or this season

Comment by Addie – December 21, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shawn and Gus are a couple of sorts. They are the first one’s that popped into my head, lol.

Comment by Crittle – December 21, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought of Julia an Joel, but I don’t think they will be missed… Charming and Snow?! :(

Comment by jari – December 21, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the term “lovebirds” hadn’t been used I would say Sam and Dean on Supernatural. They are a crucial brotherly pairing on a show with a very intense fandom. Currently Sam and Dean are incredibly at odds. I could see this season working toward them going their separate ways at the end of the season. The groundwork has been laid. The other thing working against this is that it is likely that Supernatural probably has 2 seasons left.

The wording of this item works against it, so probably not in reality, but still I’m throwing it out there.

Comment by Percysowner – December 21, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supernatural fans would go to the CW headquarters and burn down the building if Sam and Dean “broke up” for real. When they are at odds, it’s good drama, but a real split? They would go insane. Those are the most passionate fans I have ever seen.

Comment by Emma – December 22, 2012 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Parenthood couple wouldn’t surprise me…it’s actually very realistic for couples dealing with that level of trauma to break up, unfortunately. It’d be sad, but very real, and would probably yield good story for the show.

Comment by J – December 21, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m going to cry!! Please not Booth and Brennan!!

Comment by fashion101girlz – December 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If its Julia and Joel I would not be angry.

I love them as a couple and they’re been through a lot recently but their marriage has been kinda static and uninteresting.

For them to split would be what I like to call DRAMA!

Comment by Alexia – December 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Alexia
      I agree with you. I thought they would split Joel and Julia back in the first season, when it seemed that he kind of resented her working while he was a stay at home father. Then the sexy mom of one of Sydney’s friend was introduced but nothing came of it. So it wouldn’t be surprising if that’s the route that the writers took.

Comment by Nunaya_Bidness – December 21, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly think it is one of the couples from Grey’s or I hate to say it.. My beloved Bones. I really do not want to see Templey break up. The thought of it kills me. But it has to be one of those because I doubt any of the others would be going into their last season…

Comment by Chelsea – December 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going with Derek and Meredith. They’ve been coasting and happy and we all know that doesn’t last in the world of Grey’s. Calzona had it tough so far this year and Crowen is already separated. And, the blind item was announced an hour after Shonda announced she’s off twitter til after the holidays so she won’t be answering freaking out fans.

Comment by Donna – December 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only ones I think are going towards its endings are Bones and Greys, so I hope it’s Gray ’cause I love Booth and Brennan sooooo much! I’m so worried, if it turns out to be them I’ll be sooooo mad ’cause Hart Hanson promised he would never break them up.

Comment by tv_addict – December 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! Hart can’t do this to us!!!

Comment by Chelsea – December 21, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Booth & Bones. No way is this or next Castle’s final season.

Comment by Claire – December 21, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can only hope that it’s MerDer. Now that would be awesome.

Comment by tw – December 21, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is him using “he’ll hath no furry” him trying to make us think its castle? Seems too obvious too me

Comment by Elle – December 21, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought you were referring to Lady Mary and Matthew, of Downton Abbey.

Comment by Romi – December 21, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even if they were in the nine candidates, they wouldn’t fit the description. It says “Producers.” Fellowes is the only one who makes the decisions on DA. And if it was DA, it would say “Head writer and #1 shipper is reluctantly forced to blow up a popular couple due to one actor’s massive ego and delusions of Hollywood grandeur.”

So…yeah. Not them.

Comment by Pixley – December 23, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It definitely sounds like something Hart Hanson would do. He doesn’t seem to want Booth and Brennan to be happy for too long and considering how long the show has been on, next season could be its last.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 21, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Bones, please!!!

Comment by Nona Bgo (@nonabgo) – December 21, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show likely approaching its final season clue is a big one. Eliminates Castle and OUAT and narrows down to Grey’s, Bones and Parenthood really. Parenthood makes sense for going into a final season and Adam and Kristina breaking up would be hard to see coming (until now) and would indeed be great drama. Joel and Julia are having problems so that’s more foreseeable (and the “no one will see [it] coming” is another big clue). Grey’s is another strong candidate but Callie and Arizona are also having major problems, so that would be foreseeable. Meredith and Derek fit all the clues perfectly. As do Bones and Brennan. I’d like to point out, that given the “final season” clue, shows with ‘ships like to end the series with romantic couple reunions. So even though the couple will be breaking up, that doesn’t necessarily mean the break-up will be permanent.

Comment by BeLemonade – December 21, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very true to all your points. Especially so in the episodes leading up to the series finale, they can have a big “A and B are reunited and ride off into the sunset, happily ever after”

Comment by Addie – December 21, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’ve already done a lot of keeping Snow and Charming apart on Once and I don’t think next season will be the last for the series.

Comment by Mary – December 21, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Alicia and Peter are ultimately destined to break up even though I like them together better than her and Will. I really can’t see it being Mer/Der. Plus they’ve already broken them up repeatedly and they’ve broken up Calzona. Maybe a health scare with the pregnancy/delivery. Paging Addison?????

Comment by Dawn – December 21, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah… I like them better too, but I can see their total break up happening. -.-

Comment by Hilly – January 11, 2013 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s B&B or MerDer I will kill someone.

Comment by Hanna – December 21, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post