Did Gossip Girl Go Too Far? Is Dexter's Deb Screwed? HIMYM's Hidden Gem? And More Qs!

fringepythonWe’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Gossip Girl and The X Factor!

1 | Did Fringe succeed in delivering something completely different with Walter’s Monty Python-esque hallucination? And did you weep for the unceremoniously dispatched Sam Weiss?

2 | How did the Degrassi: Las Vegas wedding jaunt compare to Saved By the Bell‘s nuptials in Sin City?

RELATED | Homeland Burning Questions: Will Brody Sit Out Season 3? Did SNL Spoof Sting? And More

3 | Why is Jason Sudeikis’ Saturday Night Live/”What’s Up With That?” running man so damn entertaining?

4 | Hey, Dexter fans — help us out with this one: How exactly can Deb ever put her badge back on after murdering her innocent boss in cold blood? And in what possible scenario does LaGuerta return to the storage container, late at night, all by her lonesome?

5 | Yeah, yeah, yeah — there’s no way an SUV carrying that volume of C4 would ever get past security at Langley. But how about this one, Homeland fans: Spilt milk elicits an outburst from Dana, but no reaction to the ex-boyfriend getting blown up…?

New York, I Love You XOXORELATED | Gossip Girl Series Finale: EP Stephanie Savage Answers All Your Burning Questions!

6 | Gossip Girl time! Did seeing Blake Lively in that gold metallic gown pretty much make up for the nine episodes that came before it? What did you have more trouble buying — Dan as Gossip Girl or Nate as a major mayoral candidate? Who’d have thought that Rufus and Lily’s non-reunion would provide the show’s biggest heartbreak? (Did you see his sexy glasses, Lily?!) And was featuring one of Taylor Momsen’s singles in the finale simply synergy or perhaps part of some “deal” to get her back?

7 | After this week’s emotional How I Met Your Mother, has Cobie Smulders cemented her position as one of TV’s most underrated actresses?

RELATED | HIMYM Boss on Robin and Barney’s (Happy?) Future, Ted’s ‘Regrets,’ Season 9 and More

8 | Since iTunes Force of Nature Cassadee Pope has claimed her crown on The Voice, there’s no way the show’s producers won’t move mountains to ensure she gets a first-rate debut single released to radio (and climbing the charts) before Season 4 launches in March, right? Because at some point, doesn’t NBC’s reality singing competition need a chart-topping alumni in order to maintain its status as appointment television?

9 | Which Yuletime Happy Endings vice could you identity most with: Eggnog, unwrapping gifts or pop-and-locking with Hip-Hop Santa?

10 | Now that Don’t Trust the B… has coined the phrase in the wake of James Van Der Beek’s ballroom catastrophe, how long is it before some real-life Dancing With the Stars evictee drops “DWTS PTSD” into a post-elimination interview? Also: Can we please have more interactions between Chloe and babies in 2013? Her mewls of horror as she held one of her socialite buddies’ infants was among the show’s Top 10 funniest moments. And who else still can’t get over last week’s “missing” Dawson’s Creek scene? Did Katie Holmes time travel from the past to film that? ‘Cause that totally looked like the back of her young head!

PrivatePracticeTree11 | How did Private Practice‘s Cooper and Mason come away from the “farm fresh” Christmas tree lot with one that had a metal pole running down the middle?

12 | Were you as shocked as we were that Chumlee pulled off Pawn Stars‘ Christmas party so effortlessly? (But did he really think no one would catch on to his Secret Santa scam?)

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on White Collar, Castle, Once Upon a Time, NCIS and More!

Miss USA 201213 | Exactly how much double-sided tape was necessary for Miss America USA to clinch her Miss Universe victory in that plunging gown?

14 | Is Sarah Shahi — and her scenes with Severide — the best thing to happen to Chicago Fire?

15 | When people wonder about the difference between The Voice and The X Factor, is there a more compelling statistic than the former show packing 13 musical performances into its entertaining, fast-paced two-hour finale, while the latter only managed seven during its slow, bloated 120-minute telecast? And let’s go there: Wasn’t The Voice‘s understated Sandy Hook tribute better than The X Factor‘s splashy affair? Also…

16 | Could anyone have ever predicted that Mario Lopez would turn out to be as irksome and amateurish as Khloe Kardashian, back when they were named X Factor co-hosts at the start of Season 2? And what are the odds the pair returns for Season 3? 100-1? 1,000-1? Maybe even slimmer?

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bones, Castle, Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, Grey’s and More!

quentin30017 | Was there really no one in Quentin Tarantino’s life to tell him not to dress like a 15-year-old skateboarder for his appearance on The Tonight Show?

18 | What were the Project Runway All Stars judges thinking picking Ivy over Laura Kathleen? No amount of expensive fabric could save Ivy’s unflattering dress.

19 | Did Jeffrey Donovan nail it in teasing Burn Notice‘s season finale, saying it’d end with one of Michael’s “worst decisions” ever? (Or was it simply more of the plot-propelling same?) And how totally bad-ass did that one sequence make the Coast Guard look?

20 | Will The CW order a William Tell pilot next? Or maybe one about Cupid?

21 | So, what about that Jersey Shore finale?! (Just kidding; we didn’t watch.)

22 | Is the comically conspicuous switchover of so many TV characters to that “live tiles phone” starting to become distracting?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Tara says:

7. Can you be underrated and tapped to be in one of the biggest movie franchises of all time?

• Raver says:

yet the franchise doesn’t seem to be using Smulder’s full potential as the actress she is! Her portrayal of Robin has improved tremendously over the period of time (last season’s Symphony of Illumination episode – M A R V E L O U S!) .. I see Cobie having a JenniferAniston-Rachel kinda career and stardom post HIMYM..

• Ashley says:

Have you seen the synopsis for a film she’s doing that is coming out next year. It’s something like “after donating to a lot of sperm banks a man finds out he has 200-odd children and 100-odd sue him”. Really!?

• Steven says:

Are you saying that Cobie will have romantic comedies that don’t have very well critical successes every year lie Jennifer Aniston?

• CJ says:

“Underrated” may be the most “overrated” and “overused” compliment in show-biz media, both by journalists and fans. Whenever someone thinks someone is good, that automatically makes them “overrated,” no matter how highly they’re actually rated.

2. Prue says:

For me, seeing Blake in that gold dress actually did make up for the rest of the season. She looked beautiful!!!

3. Jess says:

13. I hate that I even know this, but it’s Miss USA who becomes Miss Universe, not Miss America.

• LC says:

I caught the Miss America thing too and was thinking the same thing…It’s Miss USA. And in answer to the question, buy stock in 3M.

4. Sam says:

6. i stopped caring about serena a long time ago so no…it didn’t really make up for it…at all.

nothing can really make up for how bad gossip girl turned out to be.

13. the better question is how did Miss USA even win? i did not see that coming honestly.

15. the voice and x-factor can’t even be compared. i’m annoyed with the voice for…reasons (aka amanda brown’s untimely elimination) BUT overall the format and contestants are 10000000x better than X-Factor. The fact that Emblem 3 and Cece were on there as long as they were while Jennel was thrown out so early…

5. Daisy says:

LOL ar #21 and 1,000 times YES for #22. Stahp!

6. 14.No.
    18, I don’t know; I’m still trying to figure out why Emilio was scored higher than Josh.
    19 Burn Notice was the high point of the week.

7. George says:

11. Noticed that IMMEDIATELY and was LMBO!

8. After this week’s emotional How I Met Your Mother, has Cobie Smulders cemented her position as one of TV’s most underrated actresses?

Let me answer that for you… YES!!!!!!!

9. Karen Douds says:

(15) The Voice’s tribute left me in tears, it was so beautiful. I appreciated the sentiment of The X-Factor’s tribute, but it had nowhere near the emotional impact of the one done by The Voice.

• Sam says:

I thought and felt the same. The Voice did the tribute very simple and beautiful. The X Factor seemed to be more of a way to show off.

10. B says:

22) I was JUST saying that Windows Phone and Slate have been in just about every show I watch. Microsoft is going HARD with it.

• LC says:

I own both, and they are WELL worth it! Glad to see them getting the love!

• Lukos58 says:

Is it really any worse than the ongoing a** kissing all of Hollywood has done with Apple for the last number of years? Free phones and tablets in all those swag bags wasn’t done for charity.

11. Ulose says:

Stopped caring about Serena a long time ago. She sealed it when she said Ultimate Creeper Dan being GG was a “love letter” to them all, even if he almost killed two of her friends. And Jenny coming back was pointless.

12. Cam says:

14. Sarah Shahi joining Chicago Fire is a great addition to an already great show. Each week continually gets better and better!

13. #4. Maybe Deb will become a serial like Dexter and live happily ever after? (I know that is impossible, don’t criticize me.)
    #7. I thought she was already cemented?!?
    #14. I agree that they were.
    #21. Eh. It was alright. Can’t believe I just admitted that I watched but yeah, there we were.

14. Leah says:

Tarantino was dressed like that last night on Ferguson too. He is such an interesting guy, I didn’t pay much attention to his outfit after the first surprise.

The fact that I laughed Every. Single. Time. Cobie Smoulders screamed, “Damnit, Patrice!” is a pretty big compliment, I think. If anyone else used the same joke so many times it would get on my nerves.

15. IMO LaGuerta has proved to be one of the biggest career-obsessed characters on TV. She put at risk her reputation once because of Dexter and then it turns out that the man she claimed to be killed by Dexter is alive. So she tries to protect her reputation by doing things herself. She didn’t know that Dexter was there, she didn’t know how Dexter did his kills, so she fell into his trap.

• DarkDefender says:

Exactly. She could not afford to be wrong again about Dexter.. She would totally go alone.. Not to mention, she was never the brightest Detective at Miami Metro.

As for Deb.. On her self imposed high horse.. Probably not able to go back to being a cop. BUT on the scale of gray area in which Quinn continues to be a cop and a handful of dirty cops remain on the force in police departments everywhere.. I can see her going back to work.

My question is, with one season left.. Does it really matter? Because we all know it will crumble in the end (at least for Dex).. And Deb will probably leave the force to “raise Harrison” unless she ends up dead, which is also highly likely.. Because it would be the shock of all shocking endings to the series (it would go out with a bang!) … Since we expect Dexter to die… And the show could have just as easily been called “Deb”.. For the amazing character evolution that has been portrayed by Jen Carpenter over the last 7 seasons.

16. Patrick Maloney says:

I felt the first hour of the Burn Notice finale was better than the second hour

17. Alex says:

6-Dan as Gossip Girl worked for me. Nate as a mayoral candidate? Sure, why not. Look at some of the real ones major cities have had over the years. Would he want to run for mayor? I can see him deciding that’s what he wants to do. Serena’s dress was indeed beautiful, but I always hated Rufus and Lily together so I was thrilled when they did not reunite. Every scene they ever shared was flat and dull because they had zero chemistry.

22-I have NO idea what you mean by “live tiles phone.”

16-They should have kept Steve Jones as X Factor host. He wasn’t that bad last year and probably would have improved a lot this season. The show does not need two hosts, anyway. Two are twice as annoying as one.

17-.Tarantino looks horrid.

18. JLV says:

I noticed the xmas tree goof in Private Practice too. It was like they weren’t even TRYING. So distracting.

19. M3rc Nate says:

1) Personally the Hallucination stuff didnt really phase me, i didnt think it was amazing or bad, it was just Walter being Walter. Though i like that hes somehow “fighting” against his former self and “blacking out” when the old Walter is in control?

4) I agree, she has been such a unstable emotionally crippled mess since inception as a character, i dont see how she can have any mental stability anymore. Well, i dont know i feel like she was on a vendetta and had already burned so many bridges with her “Dexter is the BHB” and she naturally doesnt have a “partner” considering her job position. So her going out alone thinking shes got Dexter once and for all, on her war path…i could see it.

5) Haha yup, a few minutes after finale the C4 un-believability thought cant into my mind. The Dana ex dying is a oversight but they have limited time, and honestly maybe she knows then what we as viewers know, the kid was a Dbag.

7) Yes, she pulls of the “Patresse!” screams and interaction so amazingly awesomely perfect. I love those scenes.

13) I have very little respect for Miss USA/Universe cause shes dating the borderline mentally retarded Ryan Lockte. The guy is like a male Paris Hilton except was put into swim lessons, had natural talent for swimming (and that alone) and swam in the Olympics. But now hes all about fame, reality tv, a (horrible) clothing line etc.

17) Yea its bad, but its so him that i dont care. Thats just who he is, hes a Director/Writer not a actor, i cut him major slack. It would have been truly weird if he had come out all dressed to the 9’s in a suit and tie.

19) I am curious about Burn Notice’s next season. Obviously it was kinda done before (him being back in the CIA) but last time he was a consultant on a vendetta mission, this time it looks official, like he got Tom’s job (the traitorous father figure CIA he killed). A true CIA position, one where he doesnt even go in the field that much, but commands personal around (like you saw him telling people what to do in that last scene). Im not sure if it will be more of the same, or something different and new. I thought Fionna’s reaction was wrong though. If he did nothing, they would have rotted, so he did something and now they are free…its 2+2=4 Fionna…admit why your truly upset, you dont want to date a guy whos actively in the CIA. (Could he even date her anymore? CIA allowed to date a former IRA terrorist/gun runner? lol)

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh and the biggest thing of all…im pretty sure from my Mythbusters watching (and other things)…the whole purpose of C4 is it is NOT a fireball explosion. Yes the truck would create a bit of that type of explosion (it having gas in it) but overall the explosion that kills would be the force of the blast, shredding them to pieces or at least turning their brain to jelly.

NO FIREBALL when using C4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXMmHEJVmo

• AgentVee says:

Fiona acted the way she did because Michael broke his promise to her when he said he’d quit the CIA after Nate’s murder was solved. Yes, he did what he did to free the team, but he still broke his promise to her.

Me? I’m barely hanging on with Burn Notice. I agree with Alichat; I feel it’s going to be more of the same “he’s in, he’s out” stuff (complete with the rampant plot errors that have hounded this last season) for at least 13 more episodes. (And the really bad CGI effects got on my nerves. I thought I was watching the Ringer premiere again.) Realistically, Michael could resign from the CIA, but that’s the antithesis of drama, and Burn Notice needs to manufacture as much drama as it can to keep hurdling on, no matter how silly it seems.

20. Alichat says:

#5 – What I’m wondering is how did they know it was Brody’s SUV that blew up? With that kind of damage, the vehicle would have been obliterated. How did they know it was his car?

19 – That episode was so disappointing. I mean how many times are we going to do the ‘he’s in-he’s out-he’s in’ twist?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I don’t think anyone knew anything until the recording of him was released, though they probably had security cameras all around that could have showed it was his car blowing up. They probably could have done a freeze shot on the license plate. However, my question with that is if they did have security cameras around, which it’s the CIA, so of course they do, then how would they not have a recording of someone else moving Brody’s car? Maybe we get into that question next season. Probably the mole would have erased the footage.

21. cas says:

6. I loved Serena’s dress. I see why some people don’t like it, and I would never wear it, but I think she looked gorgeous. And I felt it was very GG like. I was sad Lily and Rufus didn’t make it but oh well, I didn’t cry about it. Rufus’ glasses I thought were hideous.
    7. I love Cobie even though I don’t care for Barney and her together, but she did an amazing job.

22. shuayb says:

TVLine the most inane things irritate you. Surely you guys of all should know about marketing and sponsors. Microsoft is sponsoring most shows now and marketing their windows phone. Just like Apple does with iPhone so how can it be conspicuous or comedic? Its business.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

It might be business, but it’s still annoying as crap and very distracting. It’s becoming like listening to the characters stop their scene so that they can discuss how great the newest Subway sandwich is.

23. Britta Unfiltered says:

4. Not sure how they’ll manage it, but I bet she stays. Dexter will either talk her into it, or she’ll stay on because she’ll get obsessed with tracking down Hannah.
    5. I just thought Dana was so worried about her dad she wasn’t even thinking about Finn. And I have been wondering about the C4. Mostly I wonder where in the car it was hiding that Brody wouldn’t have noticed it. Don’t they sometimes hide bombs under cars? My aunt was telling me when they were in Israel, security people were always checking under cars and buses with mirrors for bombs. I’m going to assume that’s where it was hiding and that’s why nobody noticed it. There is a new teaser on the Homeland Facebook page for season 3. I had to laugh at how early they’re putting it out, but all it is is footage cut together from the final episode, and it makes some implications that Brody was in on everything, which I’m not a fan of. There is no way he would have put Carrie in danger like that, and he was so shocked when they put that recording of him on the news. Plus the writers don’t even know really what they’re doing for season 3 yet, and I saw in an interview with them on the Showtime site where they came right out and said Brody became an enemy of the state because he was framed.
    11. Hahahahahaha.
    21. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

24. Krystan says:

My favorite part of the GG finale was the Sparks-Bass coupling. I have wanted them together for years! They are just so wicked.

25. Kim R says:

4. Unless the whole season was a dream, they might as well put Deborah in a facility for some mental help. I fear they have ruined her character. So much of her actions this season were unlike her. I hope they have a plan.

26. JC says:

22. Yes it is distracting! I thought it was just The CW shows where everyone now has a Windows phone. If it’s happening on other networks, I haven’t noticed. And 90210’s new obsession with, er promotion of, the new Windows tablet was just as distracting.

27. Ram510 says:

7) Underrated, very possibly. All I know for sure is that the Tomb Raider look was HOT!

9) The Gift opening was funny. But the whole •gift whisperer” and Nick Zano thing were take always from Cougar Town. And this season of Happy Endings has been flat out bad. Makes me wonder if ABC wishes they would’ve hung on to Cougar Town

19) They really made the coast guard look bad ass. Great episode!

28. meah says:

You guys should u ASHAMED comparing a tribute about 20 children who died!!!I teared up during x factors tribute.what was the ‘showing off’/splashy stuff there???wow,Jesus christ the things people say just to put other people down!!sad world

29. Sam says:

4. She can’t. Or she will and will resign or take off after a few episodes.

6. No. That dress was so unbelievably ugly. I buy Nate as a mayoral candidate though, Dan as GG? not so much.

7. Not really. She’s good on HIMYM but I didn’t care for her in Avengers. She was trying too hard.

8. Unfortunately this will most likely happen. I absolutely can’t stand her but of all 3 winners so far she’s the one most likely to continue success. I think they’ll push for Terry a little too.

16. Yes. I don’t watch xfactor but he’s an idiot. I really doubt they’ll be back together.

17. Quentin Tarantino is overrated and annoying. Would you expect anything less?

30. Famin says:

Re: #20: I hope not. We’ve already had two shows about Cupid; both were by Rob Thomas. However, both were on ABC. So far, CW hasn’t done one that I can recall, so you never know.

31. CJ says:

Casidee Pope is already in the Top 5 on the Billboard Country chart.

32. Tickled Pink says:

6) terrible dress. Barf.
    7) I want to give Smulders and NPH all the credit in the world, and I think they are definitely getting their dues. BUT, for me, the performance that made me emotional was the performance of Josh Radnor, and I think his acting in the episode was highly underrated and being highly overshadowed by the others. I have a soft spot in my heart for Jim Parsons, but quite honestly, Radnor’s performance in this episode was one of the best pieces of acting I have seen in a long while. Kudos to him.

33. Marco says:

6. Definitely Nate as Mayor. And WTF Serena? If Gossip Girl was a love letter to you I don’t want to know what do you think a hate letter is.

34. O'Brien says:

RE: Gossip Girl – Serena and Dan…well, that was both ridiculous and ridiculously fitting (and Lily back with the man who gave her fake cancer was, well, everything you wanted it to be). Nate as Mayor of anything other than a McDonald’s PlayPlace is terrifying (though he’s still smoking hot), but they haven’t known what to do with Nate, really, since about half way through season 2, so whatever. I guess with Bloomberg even zoned in on Gossip Girl in the GG universe, maybe it works. Rufus/Lisa Loeb was the second-greatest endgame ever – Jack/Georgina was the absolute winner. Both Ed Westwick and Leighton Meester seemed, at times, as if they were playing parody on top of satire on top of sincerity on top of satire, which is to say, I’m so glad they are free of the disaster train that has been the past couple of seasons, and I can’t wait to see what they do next. And Blake Lively really was beautiful in that gown.