Leverage Cancelled, Series Finale to Air Dec. 25

leverage_hutton_bellmanIt’s going to be a blue Christmas for Leverage fans.

TNT announced late Friday that it has officially pulled the plug on the drama after five seasons; its series finale is set to air on Dec. 25.

Leverage has thrilled audiences with its delightfully intricate plots, its stand up for the little guy attitude and its terrific performances
from stars Timothy Hutton, Gina Bellman, Christian Kane, Beth Riesgraf and Aldis Hodge,” a TNT rep said in a statement. “But after five wonderful years, it’s time to say goodbye. Leverage will come to a close on Christmas at 10 pm, with a series finale that stands as one of the show’s best episodes… We want to thank the passionately devoted fans… who have been the driving force behind its success.”

Earlier this month, executive producer Dean Devlin told the show’s fans in an open letter that the Season 5 finale on Dec. 25 was designed to also serve as a “powerful” series finale. “[Fellow EP] John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot,” he wrote.  As a result, the hour — perhaps inauspiciously titled “The Long Good-bye Job” — is “the series finale we had always envisioned.”

1. Jamey says:

NOOOOOOO! So sad. Wish it had been on USA, would fit better and a longer run! Maybe they could do a Leverage movie…. I know but wishful thinking for the holidays!

2. Emgee says:

Can’t say I’m overly disappointed. “Leverage” stopped being must-not-miss-TV for me midway through Season 4. That’s around the time the cons stopped having the magic of the first three seasons.
    I still watch it, I still DVR it, but it’s no longer a show I make a point of watching at airtime (like I do with “Burn Notice” and “White Collar”). I still watch “Leverage” out of a sense of loyalty, but if this were the first season, it wouldn’t be grabbing me enough to keep me as a viewer.

3. Andrea says:

This sucks! Bah Humbug!

4. Moxie says:

Way to ruin Christmas, TNT… canceling your best show!

5. mary e brewer says:

Totally upset by this.. don’t even know what to say.. hope another network will pick it up! LEVERAGE is the best tv has to offer!

6. Kelly says:

I love Leverage. So disappointed in TNT. The show still has much life in it.Wish another network would pick it up and now I’m worried that USA will do this to Psych. I hope USA renews Psych after making us wait so long

7. Rich says:

Bah Humbug! TNT.

Make it up to us with a Spin-Off featuring Kane, Hodge, & Riesgraf w/ Adam Baldwin!

I’ve got the feeling that Nate & Sophie are ready to Retire and let the “kids” go on in their stead.

8. Scott Hoyt says:

It’s a shame, but what I have seen of this season….meh…at least they have a finale, a lot of shows don’t

9. Really hate this says:

Well, this is probably the worst Christmas gift I’ve ever gotten. If the spinoff doesn’t happen, hopefully we will see Aldis as the Black Panther soon, and Beth and Christian picked up as regular’s on other shows, or whatever they would be hoping to do. I’m REALLY gonna miss Christian’s Eliot. I don’t see him picking up a character I like as much as I do the Retrieval Specialist. TNT, you just ruined my weekend.

10. Carrie says:

I’m glad that they’re doing the finale they always intended to do, but I personally had no clue the show could end this season, and I’m really bummed to find that out only a few days before the series finale. I really like this show and the characters/actors.

11. tvdiva says:

I have loved every episode of this show. I am glad the writers got to do the finale their way. I hate to see this show go, but I appreciate every episode.

12. Melina says:

I’m pissed this is utter BS. This is a unique show that is not like the rest and still has stories to tell and you pull it TNT? What the HELL is wrong with you? So disappointed and sad.

13. Vicki Hunley-Black says:

I have watched this show from the very first episode, mainly because I am a big fan of Timothy Hutton, the rest of the cast turned out to be the cherry on top…it is very disheartening that TNT powers that be cancelled this wonderful entertaining show….hiss boo to you TNT you suck. Maybe if you had qut moving their air dates around so much, always changing days, more people would have watched it in a regular slotted time. I will definitely really miss this great show, and all the characters, especially Nate and Elliott.

14. TW says:

Sad. :( I hope the TNT nitwits don’t get any bright ideas when it comes to SouthLand.

15. Darlene says:

TNT is the Grinch, with a brain as well as a heart 3 sizes too small. Programming that was bright, smart, entertaining and different. Lumps of coal in the TNT stocking, and I hope a big downturn in your audience. Let’s go steal a great show and find it a new home.

16. Bill l says:

I started watching leverage in reruns-I have all the seasons on DVDs.I think it’s a awesome show.I’m disappointed to hear it is being cancelled.

17. They should see if Netflix would be willing to produce 12 episodes a year

18. Pat says:

This is very bad news, this is one of my favourite programs, I watch it over and over. A great program like this is cancelled, and yet programs like Grey’s keep going way after they have run their course.

19. Kitty says:

My husband and I love Leverage. Don’t cancel the show, get new writers. The chemistry these actors have is magical. Bah!

20. Grr Time says:

Thank God! Evil giant box stores, evil drug companies, evil militia groups. What a crock of liberal, phag propaganda…

21. Chris Perego says:

This makes me a sad panda. 5 seasons! I would love to see a spin off provided hardison Elliot and Parker are in it. It’s the age of the geek, baby! Sad this is happening on Christmas! Guys lets steal Christmas EP: 2 needs to happen where Hardison hacks TNT an keeps them on the air! I hope to see any of these guys in future entertainment. Will follow them to other shows! Awesome cast awesome family times to remember, you all will be missed!

22. Kryptic says:

It is and always will be a great show. It had some low points but always made up for them. I wish all the actors and writers great success with any future endeavors. Hutton is still one of my favorite actors and I think TNT, which is already a useless network, is once again dropping another great show. But hey!!! Now they have an extra hour opened up for another Law and Order spin off! Hell Yea. More worthless reruns of horrible shows. Way to fail TNT. The only reason many people turned to that network is gone. At least now they can finally become a TV station for only people 55+. Maybe they will start airing old Matlock reruns in its place.

23. hazel says:

SO sad about Leverage ending. Nate, Sophie, Hardison, Eliot, and Parker were my absolute favorite TV “family” to watch, and I will miss them terribly! Congrats to the cast and crew for a fantastic 5 seasons! I will be buying the DVD’s so I can watch them again and again. :)

24. JGD says:

Terrible move by TNT. This is a great show with a lot to offer and a devoted fan following. Maybe the “Neilsons” say the audience is less than 4 million, but I think something is off there, because everyone I have ever spoken to about it watches this show. Of course, they are only educated, employed, and generally between 25 and 50 with the corresponding buying power (if you happen to be selling commercial time). Guess that isn’t the audience they want.

25. Debbie says:

No more TNT for me. Leverage was a show that our whole family would watch together. My husband and I liked the Nate and Sophie characters . Our teens liked the 3 younger characters. Sorry to see it go. We bought the seasons on DVD as a family Christmas gift, so at least we can rewatch the eispdes. We think the writers should have done a flashback episode on each character when Nate was chasing them while working at IYS. Plus an episode on Nate and Maggie. Very sad Christmas

26. Patricia C. says:

Ruined Christmas for me. Any chance another network will pick it up? Anyone know if the actors are willing?

27. Marna says:

Just like a huge,money making network like TNT to disregard its fans and cancel a fresh show like Leverage. They moved it from its great time slot to Tuesday nights….why not just put it on at 3am if they wanted to kill it? What’s going to replace it? Honey BooBoo? (What exactly IS a Honey BooBoo?) more reality shows (we have way more than enough of those), or yet another tired medical show. They brought back Dallas (was expecting to see Patrick Duffy in a hover round), and they are re-making shows from other countries, but they cancel a show that was a fresh new idea, and not a rerun or a remake of something from another country.
    Shame on you TNT. You are the epitome of Scrooge!

28. I can only hope that my suspicions are correct and a new show featuring the ensemble sans Nate and Sophie will come to fruition. Otherwise, I’m left wondering who makes these decisions at TNT. They leave shows like Suits and Dallas and cancel Leverage. I’ve been a fan of TNT for a very long time, but I’m finding I watch it less and less. Poor choices cost.

29. LinY says:

You gave almost no notice that you were cancelling Leverage. I almost missed the final show. Speaking of which, I found very confusing and 24 commercials in less than an 1/2 hour. Really!!! Talk about a “Bum’s rush”!

30. marisa24 says:

They need to do a leverage movie. I dvr the whole series thankyou comcast

31. Kim says:

THIS IS ONE OF THE ONLY SHOWS ON TV THAT IS ENJOYABLE ANYMORE AND THE NETWORKS CONSISTANTLY CANCELL ALL THE SHOWS MOST SEEM TO LIKE. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHO IN THE HELL ARE ALL OF YOU TALKING TO WHEN YOU DECIDE TO CANCEL THESE SHOWS.

I MEAN REALLY DO YOU NEED ANOTHER REALITY SHOW OR COOKING SHOW I THINK NOT

BRING BACK LEVERAGE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Yvonne says:

I am going to miss this show. It has a different drama idea and good actors. If the cancellation was due to money issues, I hope they can deal with them and come up with a compatible show with compatible actors.

33. Randy says:

Too bad it is over, agree it would be quite a change without Nate and Sophie, but not impossible. This was such a great show and found a way to do it without investigating a death every week. Great show and Great concept.

34. Lenore says:

I didn’t even know they were getting cancelled!! I can’t believe it. Love love love the show. TNT sucks. They leave these stupid reality shows and cancel great shows. Hope another picks them up

35. danielle says:

ALL FANS OF LEVERAGE.
    i have made a petition for Turner Broadcasting System, TimeWarner and TNT to stop leverage from being cancelled. please sign it and maybe we can keep our show from being cancelled! click on this link to sign it! and leave your comments at the bottom explaining why leverage shouldn’t be cancelled and MAYBE we’ll be able to get TNT to change their mind!!

• Patricia C. says:

Thank you for the petition. I’ve signed Change.org petitions before, and they make a difference if enough people sign. I also urge people to email TNT directly. We can at least let them know how many people care.

36. Patricia C. says:

Here is the contact info for TNT:

<< back
    Addresses and Telephone Numbers

How can I write to TNT?
    Please send comments and questions via email to tnt@turner.com or you can write us at:
    1010 Techwood Dr. NW
    Atlanta GA 30318

What is the phone number for TNT Programming?
    The number for the TNT Viewer Comment and Question Line is 404-885-4538.

37. PJ says:

This really sucks! I just watched the last show and am really sad it has been cancelled. They set up for a return with Parker, Hardison and Eliot but I am probably dreaming! I watched for all 5 years and loved the storylines.. What was TNT thinking???

38. kram says:

bring leverage back PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. J. Shaw says:

Leverage was great entertainment that entire family could enjoy together. TNT please consider a spin-off with a mission impossible type scenario for Hardison,Parker, & Eliott.

40. nkael1 says:

Congrats to Leverage cast, crew, writers, producers and all on winning the People’s Choice Award to Cable TV Drama. I’m thinking Nielsen ratings shortcomings and network neglect gave the wrong impression of Leverage’s true audience and views.

41. Six Season would mean re-run syndication says:

Leverage still seem to have good ratings. Wonder why they choose to cancel it now? One more season would be the magic “6” season.

42. Steph says:

As most of us know by now, the last moments of the show were endearing. Though to ME- not knowing it was the finale- I thought to myself ‘what a great new beginning’ —- two months later I wonder where it all went and fell into this website. All I can say is it was the one single show I was excited to see (especially their seven hour marathons :) — and I see everyone felt the same. I’m almost speechless. It’s very sad.

43. Cynthia Harmon says:

I like the show and i don’t want it canceled.

44. Michael Cain says:

This is completely insane, and very disturbing to me. I am deeply saddened, disappointed, and now troubled. It is very disturbing to me that Leverage was cancelled. I came home daily filled with so much enthusiasm, looking forward to sitting down to enjoy watching Leverage have a completely contented heart, with a mind full of intense curiosity as to how to stick it in someone’s face the harm that they caused to another; and for those who know, “the devil comes not but for to steel, kill, and destroy, and it’s about time someone is doing something about it. So bring back the Leverage series, make some more shows, and give the devil a Black Eye!
    M.J.C.

45. I wish they bring Leverage back, i use to look forward to watching the series.

• Michael Cain says:

Yes, I’m so sorry, still feeling blue. May God give us grace to press on; and think of all the Wisdom that God has for us to make a difference in this world, through faith in Jesus Christ.
      Amen
      Michael Cain
      P.S. Take courage all you Leverage fans, we must carry on.

46. Mikie says:

TNT will cancel Leverage and replace it with some crap by the Rock. I like the Rock, but I love Parker more.

47. Jean says:

If it was the actors that wanted it to come to an end, I would say a great big THANK YOU for a wonderful hour of fun for the last five seasons. I think TNT as really screwed up with this one. The only good thing is I can now take TNT off of my channel list, as Leverage was the only show I watched. I can continue to rewatch the DVD’s I have, over and over, and over again. I hope the show on Christmas comes out on DVD, because I will not beable to see it. BOO HOO.

• Michael Cain says:

Hi Jean,

Thanks for sharing your comment about the Leverage show. I really enjoyed watching it myself; but be of good cheer! Their are other great shows and movies to watch, until then, I hope that Leverage will continue, or rather resume their filming of Leverage, and air them just as quickly as they can.

Hay Jen,

If you have Net Flix,there are a really bunch of good movies to watch. Now I’m a Christian, and if you get around to it, try and watch, Revelation Road, and 4 Hours before the Rature, and even, the Encounter; these, I’m certain you will enjoy, and all you other fans of Leverage.

Well, so long for now,and take heart.

Jesus Loves you!

Michael Cain

48. rose says:

It sucks that it was cancelled it took me a while to fine a way to wright about this

• Michael Cain says:

Yes, it is a sad truth; “all things eventually come to an end.” However, I was happy to find them (Leverage) on Netfix! I watched all episodes more than twice. I really enjoyed them. Now, after discovering the Dexter’s series, I’m already finished watching season 8, and I know Netflix don’t have it yet, but season 9 is coming soon! Google it for yourself. The 4400 series was pretty cool, and I’m not happy about the way that ended. There is so much more to watch on Netflix to entertain you that isn’t filled with nastiness lust, and corruption. If you don’t have Netflix, check it out, you never know what’s really floating your boat until to take a ride down the River ? Happy New Year!

49. Michael Cain says:

Okay all of you Leverage fans, I’ve seen all the episodes a few times on Netflix, then got board. I later discovered that Dexter was a good series, so I saw all 96 episodes twice so far, but I am now board again. Monk is no longer playing, and now I’m just fishing on Netflix and I don’t know what I’m going to catch. That is boring; I’m really going nuts here, I don’t know what to do. lol Can anyone out there suggest a good show for me, and I’ll give a viewing. Thank you! And Happy New Year to all!
    Michael Cain (Brooklyn)

• Patty Cox says:

Hello Michael: There is a show called “Lie To Me” that ran for 3 seasons that I thought was clever and different. It stars Tim Roth as head of an agency that specializes in “micro expressions” to solve crimes. It is based on a real psychologist who specialized in what the fleeting facial expressions really express. It is something different. I also liked a funny police drama with Colin Hanks and Bradley Whitford as two Dallas police detectives, it only ran for one season but I loved it. If you are old enough to remember the 70’s, you’ll love Whitford’s character. Even if you aren’t, I think it is a show that is different. It uses flashbacks and fast forwards and was truly unique, and funny while solving crime. That show is called “The Good Guys”. I bought it on ITunes. It should have gone to DVD but didn’t. Best Wishes, Patty

• Michael Cain says:

Dear Patty,

You are so kind and thoughtful to give me a few suggestions on what’s good in your opinion, and after doing a search on Google about these two shows, Lie to Me, and The Good Guys, I am thinking that I just might enjoy watching them. In the event, I was born in February of 1961; so in a few weeks, it’s good bye 52, and hello 53!
        Patty, I really appreciate you,
        Sincerly
        Michael
        God bless you!

• Patty Cox says:

Hello Michael:

I’m right behind you! I was born in April, 1962, so I’m coming up on 52 in a few months. So you’ll remember the 70’s and I think you’ll enjoy Bradley Whitford’s character. Both shows are a little offbeat and out of the ordinary, just like Leverage. The other show, Lie To Me, has a lot of photo references to different political characters, some I knew right away, some a little more obscure. Please let me know what you think. God Bless you , too, and happy viewing!

Best wishes,

Patty

• Patty Cox says:

By the way, Michael, Happy Birthday, a little early!

• Michael Cain says:

Blessings to you Patty,
            I still watch Leverage episodes from time to time, and I still enjoy them. The cast, and crew are just a pleasure to watch. What I like about watching shows, and movies the most, is not just the entertainment that it brings, but watching, and seeing how people interact with one another. That always fascinates me; while living in a world of both basically good people, and something we all have to learn, and that is, to be wise as a serpent, and gentle as a dove in a crooked, and perverse world where we all have to learn how to conduct ourselves. So that’s what excites me the most from watching these good shows. It’s so important to me, as it should be for everyone.

That show, “Dexter” even though the guy was a killer who killed killers, in some cases making this world a more safer place to live in; is still ironic that a guy could do such things to another person; first to wrap him up in plastic, talk to him for awhile, make sure he realizes what he has done, then to drive a big knife through his heart, and chop him up in pieces, bring his body parts into the sea, and dump them there where no one knows where, or what happened to him, all but for God Himself. Dexter thinking that he was doing the Lord’s work. It is very interesting, I wonder how you feel about things like that; just like the cast, and crew on Leverage who live like a bunch of Robin hoods.

So like I mentioned before, what I find so intriguing is how these little vigalaties all seem to get along, and work with one another. It’s like the average Joe, or Jane, how they might be working in an office building for a boss that is corrupted; how does that way on you conscious being a God fearing person. Do you leave justice to God, ordo you take the matter into your own hands?

I just love how good people can join unite together, live, get along, and work together.

Thank you for the birthday wise Patty, in just 3 more Days (God Willing) I will be, “53” years of age!

How great is that? Instead of having a full deck, (52 cards) now I be playing with a wild card. It don’t get any better than that! :-)

God bless you Patty,
            Talk to you again soon,
            Have a great Day!

MC

• Patty Cox says:

Hello Michael: I hope you had a happy birthday yesterday – sorry I didn’t get a chance to write yesterday- work has been preoccupying me – it’s been busy! I like your comment about the wild card. What a wonderful way to view turning 53!

Regarding Dexter and Leverage, I have never seen Dexter, and I think it would be too much for me- too dark. Leverage has a gentleness about it. No one gets seriously hurt ( at least in the main cast, and it isn’t graphic) and it is a clever puzzle. You can count on a victorious outcome and a happy ending. The cast work so well together, and we can forgive the occasional coincidental plot line. It’s one of a kind. I don’t think I’ll every see Dexter, because it’s form of vigilante justice it very dark. The Leverage cast doesn’t kill, and that’s what I love about. The bad guys are left to stew, and they get their come-uppance, but no one is badly hurt.

Have a great day!

Patty

• Michael Cain says:

Dear Patty, I respect your sensitivity about the Dexter show; no problem! Getting ready to mail some bills. Thanks again, it’s always a delight to receive word from you!

God bless you
            MC

50. Michael Cain says:

P.S. Oh, one more thing; that TV show, the good guys is poorly dramatized, I think it’s a waist of my time watching it. The actors can do a lot better than that, but it’s not really there fault. They were given a script, and I think they’ve done the best that could. Who ever wrote the script for that show could use some more experience, and in time, I’m sure that he will improve.

That other show, “Lie to Me” is worth watching. I’m certain that there is a lot I could learn from that show. When I really get really board, I sometimes have to put on the Monsters or something, then fall asleep.

I wish I had more time, but I rushing this; cause I have a few errand’s to tackle. Patty, I’ll talk to you soon.

Be blessed
    MC

• Patty Cox says:

Hello again, Michael. I’m sorry you didn’t like The Good Guys. I think the writing is meant to be tongue in cheek, not meant to take itself too seriously, and the humor is something I really liked. The relationship between the two main characters was touching- despite their ages and difference In years on the police force, they were real partners. I suppose America agreed with you, because there wasn’t a second season,and it never came out on DVD. I thought the show deserved to have a longer life. Maybe people didn’t like that the show didn’t take itself too seriously. They messaged that in the opening credits, and the type of criminals the show presented. I’m glad that you liked Lie To Me. At least that show had three seasons! I would’ve liked more. It was an intelligent, fascinating show.

Sending Blessings,

Patty

• Michael Cain says:

Hi Patty, it’s good to receive word from you again! I am 53 as of yesterday, and spent my birthday from 9;00am to 3:30pm at the YMCA; as a result, I suffering a little pain. The show, “Lie To Me” is really good, and I’m liking what the show has to offer, as far as being a good judge of character, and body language; it’s really very interesting. I didn’t mean to be so blunt about my opinion of the Good Guys, but it (to me) was becoming non-sense to take in. So trying not to be to critical on my views, personally, I believe it depends on the person who views it. I watched another few episodes of Leverage (REPEATS) again; they’re always fun to watch. The MUNSTER’S with Herman, Grand-Pa, Marylyn, Eddie, and Lilly are delightful-lol- and Psych is a pleasure to watch. Old Chuck Norris movies, Revelation Road, Mark, and Mark 2 are really worth viewing if your interested in the “END TIMES” taken from the book of Revelation; why don’t you give that a moment of your time. You are a precious soul indeed Patty, and I thank you for your Pen Pal ship with me. Lets stay connected!
        God Bless You
        Michael Cain

• Patty Cox says:

Hello Michael:

That’s a long time at the gym! I can bet you were sore after that. You have a good point about The Good Guys- I think people either loved it or hated it. At least you enjoy Lie to Me – I have a 50% success rate. Glass half full. I haven’t seen any of the other shows or movies you’ve mentioned – except of course for The Munsters, which I watched when I was a child – now that’s an off beat show. Fred Gywinn (spelling?) really had a lot of talent- I wished I could have seen him in something else. So many actors get known primarily for one thing.

Have a wonderful evening. It’s interesting how people can connect across the internet, and share ideas.

God bless you, too, Michael.

Patty

• Michael Cain says:

Hello Patty, and season’s greetings to you! It’s 10/29/2014, and I haven’t heard from you since 02/06/2014; (that’s eight Months and 23 Days) What’s the deal with that? Nikita was great, the Black list also, Alias, and a few others I found real entertaining, OH! And Prison Break, “THAT WAS REALLY COOL!” Very suspenseful but a very good story; I actually cried at the end, tears of love…I’m sure you’ll like them! Well, take care for now; Jesus is LORD!
            Your friend and TV Pal, Michael

• Patty Cox says:

Hello Michael:
            It has been awhile! But I see you’ve been seeing some good shows. I watched Prison Break and thought it was great. That thin, blond haired prisoner was a terrific actor. I’lol have to look his name up. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in anything else. As for The Blacklist- supper creepy at times. I find the repellent baddies a little hard to take because I get squeamish. I love James Spader, though. He is absolutely wonderful, and the writing is terrific for his character. It’s just perfect writing for a perfect actor.

One show you may want to check out since you have Netflix is “Hinterland”. It is shot in west Wales and is very moody and has some good acting as well. You’ll see some great cinematography and desolate but beautiful landscapes. Some of the stories really stay with you too. I think the best of them is the first one. If you check it out, please let me know what you think.

Things have been super busy at work and I’m finding the computer screen botheres my eyes some days, so I don’t spend quite as much time on my IPad- got to rest those eyes! I hope you are well. I’ve heard we are in for a rough Winter, so stay warm and enjoy these last days of. Autumn. It is nice to hear from you again, my friend.

God Bless You,