Exclusive: True Blood Adds Arliss Howard as Series Regular — Find Out Who He's Playing

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Arliss Howard True Blood Season 6 Governor of Louisiana True Blood has crowned a new king… of Louisiana, at least.

Arliss Howard (Rubicon, Medium) is joining the HBO drama’s forthcoming sixth season in the series regular role of Louisiana Governor Truman Burrell, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | True Blood Scoop: Meet Sookie’s New Love Interest

The character is described as a good ol’ boy politician who has a major beef with vampires ever since his wife ran off with one, leaving him as a single father to their only daughter. Politically savvy and perhaps overly ambitious, Truman tends to let his personal aspirations overshadow his humanity.

Howard’s other credits include the films Full Metal Jacket, Ruby, The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Moneyball.

RELATED | True Blood EP Alan Ball Drops First Season 6 Clues

True Blood‘s sixth season is slated to premiere in June.

Comments (29)

Comment by Desiree Nicole – December 20, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Captain Push!!!

Comment by TV fan – December 20, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, another character I won’t care about that will get way too much screen time for a storyline that won’t make any sense and will be completely distracting. Keep up the good work True Blood.

Comment by Chance – December 20, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first thing I thought when I saw the title of this post

Comment by Stefan – December 20, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Season five was so bad and so poorly written to be almost unwatchable. Charlaine Harris created some great characters, so why not develop them more rather than waste time on unnecessary guest stars.

Comment by Jimmy – December 20, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember when he got eaten by a juvenile T-Rex? ahh, good times.

Comment by TheDude – December 20, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh! more new characters nobody cares about,this show is going down hill fast :-/

Comment by Charlie – December 20, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its entering its 6th season – hardly going down hill fast, maybe a slow trot, but definitely not fast.

Comment by K – December 20, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIke it or not its impossible to make the show with only 3 or 4 characters. And that seems to be the only thing that would satisfy some of the clowns here.

Comment by Scott – December 20, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, of course, but the guest stars should not be the focus. True Blood should be focused on Sookie, Bill, Eric, and Alcide. Any other actors or guest stars should be around for the sole purpose of helping the story develop around those main characters.

Comment by Jimmy – December 20, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Since when Alcide es a main character?

Comment by Nina – December 20, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If you’ve read the books then you know that him and Sookie dated for a while, and he’s helped her out in several of the stories.

Comment by Sanya Thompson – January 29, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about Sam, Tara, and Loffette… Your missing a lot of main characters

Comment by EYES4STYLE – January 21, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s also impossible to make a show with 1500 characters.

Comment by Chance – December 20, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exactly, since when is Alcide a main character, lord, that sounds like just the Sookie Triangle fest which nobody wanna see.

The main characters are Sookie, Bill, Tara, Sam, Jason & now including Eric, those are your stars.

@Jimmy you got it twisted!

Comment by jmob19 – December 20, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish everything went back to Sookie. It’s her character the one we cared about first and the reason I started watching the show (and reading the books).

Comment by James – December 20, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with James. More Sookie less others who just get in the way. We need to see Sookie and Bill or Sookie and Eric.

Comment by ColleenS – December 21, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Say whaaaat?? What the show needs is more awesome sex!!! That’s what drew me in the first two seasons! Season 5 was a major disappointment and let down. I am a fan but it could have been better……

Comment by Tamera – December 21, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched every episode since day #1.. Although dissApointed with the past season… It’s been otherwise outstanding .. Hopefully they get the upcoming season figured out..so it’s as good as as the previous 1-4 …
    I can stand less bill ..

Comment by Kris – December 21, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have enjoyed all of the seasons,some more than others. I do unlike some like new charactors like life it adds new layers,just focusing on Sookie could get dull. As for the Sookie,Bill,Eric triangle I just didn’t feel it. First of all I didn’t like the Sookie- Eric relationship, it just didn’t work for me. I would have rather seen her with a little wolf love…lol

Comment by sonya – December 21, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Gods sake the last thing this show needs is more regular characters!

Comment by phil – December 21, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want Sookie to have another love interest other than Eric. Season 5 I was not happy about at all and after reading this it doesn’t look like I’m going to want to watch Season 6 either.

Comment by christi – December 21, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sometimes I think some fans would only be happy if they followed the books to the letter, but where’s the fun in that? The show has truly become its own entity over the years. The problem is that I think characters like Lafeyette, the Bellefleurs, Arlene etc work better as texture players – like the various townspeople on Gilmore Girls – as their storylines have in the past detracted and slowed down the show (The ongoing Brujo story, the Ifrit story).

I like how the show brings in new characters specific to a season’s storyline, and has the other characters manoeuvre around them. Unfortunately you can’t please everyone.

Comment by Dizzle – December 21, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, you can’t please everyone. I personally don’t have a problem with the multitude of characters because they blend well together. I did have a problem with all the build-up surrounding Chris Meloni’s guest appearance and character only to have him be dull-as-dishwater and be killed off so quickly. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to this new character.

Comment by A – December 21, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Game of Thrones can copy the books and have people still interested why can’t True Blood? Just sayin’…. Although I do think you hit the nail on the head regarding your viewpoint on “texture players”. I couldn’t have given a friggin flip about the Brujo or Ifrit storylines. They did not need to be there and really served no purpose. I have no problem with bringing new characters that support main storylines but we didn’t need those additional supporting storylines that added nothing to the show other than giving supporting players more screentime.

Comment by Kat – December 28, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If season6 can be like season 1 and 2 action from the time the episode come on until it goes off every episode. Season 5 was poorly written and it had a lot of cheat acting. What some of the characters was saying and the way they were acting was unbelieveable. It was a lot stalling in the episode which led to nothing big. I haven’t gave up on true blood yet but director you have to do better

Comment by tia – December 21, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When dose true blood come on again for the new season?

Comment by dayinera – January 4, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post