Psych Renewed For Eighth (and Final?) Season

Psych - Season 6Psych-Os got an early Christmas present late Wednesday: another season of their favorite show.

USA Network renewed its longest-running series for an eighth (and possibly final?) season of eight episodes.

RELATED | Look Who’s Returning For Psych‘s Musical Episode!

The announcement, which was made on Psych‘s official twitter feed, comes two months before the comedy’s Feb. 27 Season 7 premiere.

1. K says:

It’s about time! Consolation prize for making us fans wait so long for Season 7 to air!

2. Amy says:

It can’t be the last season! I don’t know what I’d do without Psych! I’ve started watching from Season 1 again recently because I missed it that much..

3. Kasper says:

Where has it been hintet at, that the 8th season might be the last? I haven’t read anything relating to that anywhere I think.

• Esaul says:

It hasn’t been hinted that it will be the final season. The guy who gave the news said that there will have to be a final at some point for Psych. So yes it COULD be the final season. But we can also get a renewal too. They’ll tell us either way. They want to give Psych a proper final season if this is true.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

The hint is the renewal itself. while an early renewal can be great it could also mean they’re giving the show the maximum amount of time to plan a final season. Anyway I’m super happy since psych is so amazing and hilarious.

• Esaul says:

Either way, we’ll find out when they give us the details. :)

• dork4tv says:

It’s not actually an *early* renewal. It just seems that way because season 7 hasn’t aired yet. In actuality preproduction starts around February so the season 8 pickup had to come before then. They announced season 7 at the beginning of January last year so this is pretty in line with that, and not necessarily an indication of a final season. Could it be the final season? Of course, it always can be, especislly with shows past season 5. But no one has said that yet, so let’s not borrow trouble.

• DL says:

It’s an “early renewal” because usually a renewal is predicated on ratings. Perhaps additional episodes will be beneficial for the show’s open syndication deal (all six current seasons, plus any forthcoming episodes) with the ION channel. Don’t really know if that has any relevance. But yeah, I would definitely call it “early.”

• Jason says:

It being a shortened season certainly hints at the idea that it’s a way for the show to bring things cleanly to a close.

4. kerry says:

Hell no it better not be the end, we psychos love it, best show on tv imo and best duo

5. moobear says:

It can’t be the last season, I recently introduced a family member to the show and rewatched the whole thing on netflix and I was still laughing! There are still movie genres they haven’t had an episode about, silent movies for one and while 8 seasons are great, they are a summer cable tv shows so it’s more like 4 seasons and that’s just not enough!

• Esaul says:

At least season eight won’t come about early 2014. :) I mean as much as I hate the thought of Psych ending, it’ll have been on for a good eight years. It will surpass Monk as the longest running show too for the cable network, I believe. Maybe we can get a ninth and final season instead of it being eight. But we’ll learn soon enough when they give the details.

6. MJ says:

Yes…..Please do not let it be the last season. This is by far one of the best shows on TV.

7. CC says:

I feel that if it was going to be a last season it would be announced that way.

8. Templar says:

We need them to use Woody and Lassie as they did in the Last Night Gus episode. I’ve seen it four times and it still cracks me up.

• moobear says:

Good to know I’m not the only one!

As for 8 episodes, NOoooooooo, no, no, no, no, no! This better not be because they’re cancelling it, you don’t want to make a bunch of PSYCHos angry!

9. Andy says:

Best news of the day. Possibly of the week.

10. Midori004 says:

I love the show, I bought the first four seasons on DVD for cheap, however why would they need to plan for a finale season? The show doesn’t even really have story arcs, it’s just an hour long murder mystery comedy. They would just need word to have one goodbye in the very last episode.

• dork4tv says:

“It’s just an hour long murder mystery?” Seriously? I feel like Gus when that kid said the new Star Wars movies are way better. For most of us who love the show, it is so much more than that. And I’m pretty sure the storyline arcs are the lives of the characters and the growth of those characters. So PsychOs would be hugely disappointed if those stories didn’t have a chance to be brought to their natural conclusions.. But based on USA’s track record and the fact that they’ve said as much, *when* the time comes for the show to end (season 8 or beyond), the network will make sure they have the opportunity to end it right.

• dork4tv says:

Of course this could be the last season, but USA has also been renewing many of its older shows for less episodes for budgetary reasons. When Burn Notice went from 18 episodes the last three seasons to 13 episodes for next season, everyone assumed it would be the last, but the network said they had “no expectations” of that. So while these 8 episodes could very well represent the final season of Psych, it could also just be a transition to a shorter seasons. Also, part of it depends on whether or not the show runners want to continue. Maybe this a format that works better for everyone. Obviously the show can’t last forever, but I’d like a couple of shorter seasons that allow the cast and crew more time off, the network to stay in budget, and the fans more time to enjoy the show. As for the person who doesn’t care … c’mon son, really? You wasted your time to read about a show you don’t care about and post a ridiculous comment? Lame.

• Michele says:

I agree. I would take a shortened season rather than a cancelled show!

• totally agree i would be heart broken if psych ended i would rather have shorter seasons then a canceled show i mean it is so hard to find good clean comedy these days this show is a rare treat it is number 1 on my top 5 comedy list always gives me a good laugh when i need one see ya later psychos

11. Hope says:

Seems like it has been forever since the last episode of last season.. Hurry back Psych!

12. Ryan says:

There’s not exactly a whole lot of planning that needs to be done for the end since there are not any big mysteries. I guess one thing could be Juliet learning he’s not psychic could be a mini story line, although if he almost proposed without telling her, then maybe he won’t.

• Alan says:

the story arcs are the development of the various characters though. the producers seem to have an end in mind for every character and if that was rushed it would seem forced, they need to have the time to plan the end for the characters developing into functioning adults rather than the man-children they are at the minute

• Midori004 says:

Keep telling yourself that, but it’s simply not true. I have seen season 1 and numerous episodes seasons 2-4 or 5 and I can’t tell the difference. The characters really aren’t growing too much that you would need a whole season to close things up. One episode would do.

• Alan says:

but you dont follow along so you cant really tell how the characters are developing. shawn has changed a lot since season 1, sure he still acts the same occasionally but thats just a front he puts on now to keep the charade going. before season 1 he couldnt stay in a job longer than a month and ran from any kind of commitment, now he is an important asset to the sbpd and is carrying around an engagement ring waiting for the right moment. it can be difficult to gage character development properly if you only watch some episodes here and there

• ya but the man children are the ones who make us laugh lol

13. Mina says:

I always applaud any show that knows when to end their run on a high note and I hope the same for Psych.
    And I’ve always hoped that the big “non-psychic” reveal to his coworkers would be endearingly anti-climactic. Perhaps Shawn breaking the news and each of them coolly looking back with an “…and?” expression on their faces.

• Alan says:

thats how i expect lassie to react, i fully expect him to say something like “i figured it out a week after i met you but you put scumbags away so i let it slide”

14. bobbie says:

yes yes yes to season 8!!!! seasons 9 & 10 too!! Hurry up season 7. I need my Psych fix.

15. Kat says:

I agree…..season 8 can’t be the final season!! There’s no limit to the “funness” of this show. Please give us more!!

16. Carrie says:

Woo hoo! I hope it won’t be the final season. I’m hoping for Season 20.

17. Alan says:

wow a renewal before an episode of the latest season even airs, thats cool that the network has such faith in the show. 8 has always been a good number of seasons to end on in my opinion so ill be perfectly happy with one of my favourite shows going out before the quality goes down

18. Ryan says:

With Monk, did they announce in advance that season 8 would be the last? I remember the network advertising ‘The Final Season of Monk.’

19. David says:

Well they announced it’s only an 8 ep pickup, so I’m suspecting it is going to be the final season- USA is in a bit of a transitional mode with both Burn Notice and Psych probably ending next year (though it hasn’t been officially announced in either case).

20. It was announced it will be 8 episodes. So I would think it’s the end.

21. Britta Unfiltered says:

With the way they keep delaying the show, I am guessing season 8 doesn’t premiere until late summer/early fall 2014.

22. So? says:

With the small number of episodes in its last outing, and the lenghy amount of time it was AWOL, I could care less about ita reruen or renewal.

23. dork4tv says:

24. dork4tv says:

Oops, sorry for the repeat post, didn’t see that I’d accidentally posted it as a reply. 😳

25. SanaA says:

10 seasons at least please!

26. Catherine says:

OhMIGOSH. I can’t imagine life without Psych.
    That sounds really sad, but as a fan who has been watching from season one, it’s true.
    Hopefully, there will be more seasons to come.

27. A says:

Well if it is the final season (which I seriously hope not), I hope they don’t give it some lame “shortened” season. I hate it sometimes when they shorten final seasons of certain shows and they pretty much have to rush through the limited amount of episodes and have finales that are just way too rushed and not done well. Not saying that all shows deserve full final seasons, but lately I’m just finding so many shows in their final seasons being shortened and its annoying..

28. kerry says:

Well even though it will be 8 ep season, better than no season, if you love psych as much as i do when i watched the first episode when it debuted in 2006

29. Wade says:

If it does well, is it possible they up season 8 to the full 16?

30. Amy says:

Im so happy to hear they renewed Psych for season 8, this is my favorite show, I love the dynamic between Shawn and Gus, you feel like they actually did grow up together. I would love it if they went to season 10 (or more) 

31. Michele says:

Since Monk went off, Psych is my favorite show on USA. I don’t think I can take this going off too!

32. Absolutely the most annoying show on tv. It can’t end soon enough!!

• LaVette says:

What are you watching and commenting on it for if it’s so annoying? We like it if you don’t then watch something else.

33. laura says:

i want snacks who wants snacks . i’ll take an apple . I said snacks .lol one of he funniest line form ses7 epo2

34. Mary says:

Come on guys, you create a fun truly enjoyable show. Don’t pull it!!! We are so inundated with this ‘reality’ crap that its hard to find something like this that is easy on the mind, enjoyable and relaxing after a day at work.

35. john says:

Psych is by far the funniest show ever on….I am absolutelydumbfounded in how they think they can cancel the show and anyone respect or accept the decision……I watch psych EVERYDAY….I only pay for cable because of psych,and my family and I.all absolutely love the show….its CSI,NCIS, and all those other police shows, but with flare and possibly the best comedic duo in history of tv…..I beg you guys at USA and Psych, to keep making that money and keep entertaining fans all over until we all die of old age….Pppplease….

• john says:

Again, Psych is freaking amazing, and as long as the annoying belittling and utter crapness that Judge Judy brings and the mind numbing reality shows can air forever and ever , than so should Psych