Once Upon a Time Casts Rose McGowan as Young Cora for Origin Episode

Once Upon a Time Casts Rose McGowanOnce Upon a Time, Barbara Hershey looked like Rose McGowan.

TV’s erstwhile Charmed Paige Matthews has been cast on ABC’s fantastical drama series as a Young Cora, our sister site Deadline reports, for an origin episode that will explore the backstory of Regina’s own evil queen mum.

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time‘s Captain Hook Brings Scoop to Spoiler Alert!

Since her Charmed days, McGowan has landed roles in films such as Grindhouse and Death Proof, guested on Nip/Tuck and Law & Order: SVU and starred in the 2011 Lifetime telepic The Pastor’s Wife.

RELATED | A ‘Tiny’ New Once Upon a Time Teaser to Ponder

Once Upon a Time resumes its sophomore run on Sunday, Jan 6. at 8/7c.

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mary says:

Awesome! I like Rose McGowan!

2. letsbehonest says:

I’d be more excited if this was happening before she messed up her face…

• Ian says:

This. Rose really was just such a fresh gorgeous ingenue back in those Charmed days, and then unfortunately she went down the path of needless cosmetic decisions and bad career managment. I think I’d’ve been overjoyed actually by this news if she’d done better for herself and it weren’t written all over her face, literally.

• John says:

It wasn’t needless…she was in a car accident and she got cut up really bad on her face and she needed it to repair her face, idiot.

• Gerald says:

That is not an excuse, one thing is to try to fix your face because of an accident, another is to add botox and fillers… Her face has nothing to do with the accident, if you’ve seen pictures of her after her surgery she still looked good and natural, it was some time after that she decided to mess up her face, which believe me has nothing to do with her accident. Look at her lips and cheeks.

• Shuayb. says:

She had to have plastice surgery, she had an accident and glass somehow cut her face or something. It was in People a few years back. She’s probably had to redo it over the years because those surgeries don’t exactly last. Also before she got the Charmed gig she was planning on retiring and to go live in Tuscany or somewhere in Italy. Thats what she’s always wanted to do. She said it in a magazine interview. She acts only when there is something she wants to do otherwise she doesn’t.

• Butterfly says:

It was a small cut under her eye that left a small scar. I looked it up after I saw her in a recent movie and hardly recognized her. Last time I had seen her in anything was Deathproof and now she’s…this. She didn’t have to have major reconstructive surgery or anything. It’s a shame because she was really pretty.

• Russ says:

Actually no, I read a article when the accident happened. She was in a car accident and had sunglasses on. The lens of the sunglasses cut down into her cheeks and she need reconstructive surgery to fix the damage.

• Laurie says:

No kidding, what a freaking mess. She looked much better in Charmed.

3. maki says:

Paige was my Fav sister! So joyful and wrong! :D *.*, can’t wait ti see her mess up things :D

4. sara says:

Interesting that they’re going with someone so much older than the other ‘origin’ stories.

5. Jo! says:

THATS SO AWESOME! That girl who’s gonna play “Young Cora” is actually very pretty. OH wow, what if something happens on the show that makes Cora appear younger in present time and we see her go up against a young Regina? x) And I know this girl was only cast for one episode, I just really miss Once.

6. ABC says:

Rose McGowan, what did you do to your face?

• Jessica says:

The same thing Barbara Hershey did to hers, so they do match!

• tp says:

She was in a bad accident.

• Cory Myers says:

Rose McGowan was in a car accident. Face was thrust forward and slammed into the dashboard shattering her glasses and seriously slicing into her face. Rose’s altered appearance was not by choice. This is excellent! I can’t wait to see this episode!

• Gerald says:

While she did have an accident, the extent of her “disfigurement” was a scar under her eye.Why would an injury to the eye require her to have large amounts of filler injected into her cheeks and lips? Rose’s face was back to normal by 2008. Her new face didn’t premiere until 2009, years after her accident.

7. Mika says:

Excellent Casting!!!!

8. Jessica says:

Hmmmm, not sure about this. But considering the only thing I ever saw her on was Charmed (and I’m pretty sure that not even Meryl Streep could have saved that show’s writing), I won’t judge until the episode airs. I will say that OUaT’s casting department is amazing at finding actors who actually look the younger version of their characters (Bailee Madison) and actors who look like they could be related (Ruby and her mom and Jen Morrison does look like she could be Josh and Ginny’s kid)

9. Joe says:

wow, i would be more excited if this was the beautiful talented McGowan that she used to be

10. Zorkel567 says:

Excited to see this. Hopefully this episode will delve into Rumplestiltskin and Corra’s place as the Miller’s daughter. Corra should be made a regular now, too.

11. BGW says:

Rose was in a serious car accident a few years ago and had to have her face reconstructed. Stop the hate, yo’s.

12. A.B. says:

Surprised they don’t have Barbara Hershey play her own young self like Emma playing her own 17 year old self. It was those glasses that made it believable. It seems like that’s how they do it.

13. Shaun says:

Cora looks more like the girl who played Piper.

14. Shuayb. says:

BEST NEWS ALL WEEK! I love Rose McGowan and this is a very good choice except Cora’s voice doesn’t exactly match Rose’s voice so thats the one small hitch. But she will be amazing. A bad witch!!!

15. Eric says:

Um, I just wanted to say that, in the article, you mention that she has been in films such as Grindhouse and Death Proof. I just wanted to clarify that Grindhouse IS Death Proof. Grindhouse was the collective name for a double feature by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, which feature both DP and a film called Planet Terror. I just wanted to point that out!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oh well; I don’t get out to non-Pixar movies much. (I thought “Death Proof” was one of the trailers turned into an actual full-length movie…?)

16. LOL says:

Nooo! Don’t give a crap about Cora’s origin story. Oy.

• Lane says:

You do realize Cora’s origin story is the original Rumplestiltskin fairytale with her being the miller’s daughter and Regina being the child she promised to Rumplestiltskin? Too bad if you don’t care about it, I guess, but there’s no way the show would ignore this origin story since it’s way too important for all three characters involved.

17. Slatina Whorinova says:

Love, love, love Rose McGowan! I’ve loved her since Doom Generation and Scream.

18. jm says:

she was also in Conan :S

19. Bark Star says:

Grindhoue AND Death Proof ? Biiiiiig blunder there, Mr. Mitovich. I hate Tarantino but even I know that.

20. mia says:

SO PERFECT OMG

21. Jason says:

Awesome choice. (But I, too, am saddened by Rose’s plastic surgery.)

22. Alyssa says:

To all the people bashing Rose. You are just reading what the media wrote about her face. Where you there? No, you were not so STFU.

• SAM says:

I haven’t been bashing re her face but you do need to see the photos of her before the accident, right after the accident, and then a couple of years later, and then you will see why people are writing what they are writing.

• Megan says:

lol are you calling yourself Alyssa to seem more legit? Look, if her doctors really reconstructed her face, she should have sued them because they did a bad job. It’s not good plastic surgery if everyone thinks you had plastic surgery

23. Mikael says:

I love Rose McGowan!! I hope they do more than just one flashback for Cora so we get to see her more. I love Barbara Hershey, but I would love to see Rose learning dark magic under Rumplestiltskin in a flashback.

24. phil says:

I was just going to ask what the Hell has Rose done to her face? She doesn’t look human!

• GingerSnap says:

It’s called reconstructive surgery after a car accident; she ain’t what she used to be, but she’s still pretty good.

25. GingerSnap says:

Yes, I am so glad to Rose McGowan join this show. Now if we could just see a few other “Charmed” reprisals.

26. Pepper says:

Love Rose McGowan but they could easily play sisters.

27. Ella B. says:

This is so funny, I was just saying Alyssa Milano would make a great younger Cora — guess we were on the same track at least :)

28. Libradino says:

Wow, really people? Rose is still beautiful. Have you ever heard her speak about the person she is? Her beliefs? Observed her talent? Maybe she is happy with her (rather hot) appearance and isn’t that what really matters? Let’s celebrate great casting and a chance to see her shine!

29. Marco says:

Scream’s Tatum as young Cora sounds fun!

30. Xehanorto says:

I remember from the original tale featuring Rumplestiskin and the girl who he spun gold for. As it turns out the girl’s name was Cora and as Cora in the show has said, she had to make many deals to get her to where she was. Now who do we all know to make deals, why Rumplestilskin. So something tells me that we will be seeing more of “The Crocodile” in his Fairytale Land stature.