Ratings: Dexter, Homeland Finales Deliver New Highs; Dexter Sets New Showtime Record

Dexter and Homeland FinalesThe season finales for Showtime’s Dexter and Homeland were as well-watched as they were watercooler-rousing.

Dexter‘s Season 7 closer on Sunday night opened to 2.75 million total viewers at 9/8c, up 23 percent from last season’s finale and marking the most-watched episode of any Showtime original series, ever.

Season to date, the serial killer drama is averaging 6.1 million weekly viewers across all airings and platforms, up 12 percent year-over-year.

RELATED | Dexter Boss Discusses Deb’s Deadly Choice, Plus: Who’ll Be Back in Season 8?

Homeland likewise hit a new all-time high of its own. The 10 o’clock showing of the espionage drama’s sophomore finale drew 2.3 million total viewers, up 32 percent from Season 1’s capper. Season to date, Homeland is averaging 5.9 mil weekly viewers across all airings/platforms, up 37 percent versus its freshman run.

RELATED | Homeland Burning Questions Answered: Will [Spoiler] Sit Out Season 3? What Was the Point of the Hit-and-Run? Did SNL‘s Spoof Sting? And More

Both Dexter and Homeland were previously renewed for next season, with Dexter Season 8 expected — though not necessarily guaranteed — to be its last.

1. Pat D. says:

How about a spinoff starring…..Masuka! LOL…

2. Shaun says:

Good for Dexter,it totally redeemed last seasons bomb of a season.Let it go out in style in season 8.

3. angie says:

I don’t even remember what happened last season on Dexter. Or this season. But that was a good finale. Homeland continues to be the best show on tv.

4. paul says:

What about the network ratings?

5. Richard Carpenter says:

I am a big Dexter and Homeland fan. Dexter was good as usual but I thought Homeland was fantastic. The show just seems like it gets better and better. Must have some really – really good writers. Like Dexter, now, I can’t wait till next year!!

6. Cody says:

Love Dexter but I hate shows that drag out and end with more viewers saying “finally its over!” rather than “nooo come back!”

• JeniLee says:

EXACTLY! I hate when my fave shows end but I want my shows to end when I am sad to see it go! HIMYM i cannot wait for it to end and i am done this season regardless. I dont want Dexter to be tainted by getting awful and staying on too long!

7. b. says:

Loved this season! So, I wouldn’t mind if Dexter continued after S8! It’s the beginning of a new relationship between Deb n Dex. How can u just wrap that up in 2 (S7 & S8) seasons!? BUT if it ends next season, Showtime, please leave it open for the possibility of at least having one movie come out of it!

8. Lauren says:

Even though this season of Dexter was one of the best and I will definitely miss this show when it’s gone, it should end on a high note after season 8. It shouldn’t be dragged out.

9. This is a topic which is close to my heart… Thank you! Where are your contact details though?|

10. tkff says:

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing, thus he/she wants to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.%7

11. I have read some just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you place to create this type of wonderful informative web site.|