Fox Pulls Sunday's Family Guy and American Dad Due to Newtown Elementary School Shooting

famguyFox has yanked Sunday’s original episodes of Family Guy and American Dad in the wake of Friday’s elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn. that left 20 children dead, TVLine has confirmed.

Although the network has not released an official statement, it’s believed the episodes were pulled because they featured potentially sensitive content.

The holiday themed installments — Family Guy‘s “Jesus, Mary and Joseph! and American Dad‘s “Minstrel Krampus — will be replaced with encores “Grumpy Old Man” and “Wheels & The Legman and The Case of Grandpa’s Key,” respectively, per The Futon Critic, which first reported the news.

Additionally, Fox has jettisoned a 7/6c Cleveland Show encore, “Die Semi-Hard,” and replaced it with another repeat, “Menace II Secret Society.”

The news follows Syfy’s decision to pre-empt Friday’s penultimate Season 3 episode of Haven, which dealt with fictitious violence at a high school.

1. Danielle H says:

very pissed. when will we see this episode now? i was greatly looking forward to it. will everyone just stop worrying about offending ppl? if you watch family guy and aren’t offended by it already this wasn’t going to change anything. BAH.

• chistosa says:

Danielle, you are a pathetic excuse for a human being. You do understand that 20 innocent 5 and 6 year olds were brutally shot dead in their classrooms where they and their families would have expected them to be safe. Kudos to the network for doing the right thing. And you, well perhaps you can try to take those few minutes that you won’t be watching Family Guy and try to pray for those families who have been totally destroyed by a senseless act of violence against the most innocent.

• Danielle H says:

I get what happened was terrible.. I am very hurt by the deaths of those innocent children and adults. What I simply mean is that it is doubtful that Family Guy was going to have anything to do with that, and if it is simply being pulled because of it’s regular brand of comedy then that’s just dumb.
        Also… calling me pathetic and dissing me on the internet then turning around and suggesting prayer is highly hypocritical. But hey, that’s just how everyone in our country and 90% of people in the church act nowadays anyway, so I guess I’ll just move on with my day.

• murley says:

while that person calling you pathetic is totally uncalled for, you complaining about the loss of some tv episodes in the wake of lost lives and parents’ lost children is pretty tasteless. if nothing else pulling the episodes is a gesture of sensitivity and support.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Ah and we get to the root of the problem with Danielle. She hates the religious and feels the need to act out against them. I am sure she was really looking forward to a Family Guy episode yet again mocking religion. It’s not wonder so many young people are going off the rails today. This country has really gone down the craphole since people started turning their backs on God. Such a sad state of affairs.

• First of all, this whole interaction (or what I could stand reading of it), is insane. Yes something horrific happened, but my reaction is, what does that have to do with an adult cartoon about Christimas? Why does one even have to do with the other? Every possibly, maybe offensive anything at all must not be aired? I genuinely don’t understand why we can’t agree that murdered children is the worst possible thing in the universe, but life still has to move forward. I’m not choosing to use this tragedy as a way to angrily lash out and judge other people.

• GoGiants says:

Chuck, you are the sad one. If you truly believe that your God is so sensitive and heartless as to send a shooter to a school because it is public and all religions are treated equally (and not given course time), then your God sucks. If you want religion in school, YOUR religion, there are religious schools. Pony up and pay for one. But don’t think YOUR religion, or any religion should be in a school with kids of many different religions (or none at all) attending.

• J2 says:

who’s turning their back? 96% of americans believe in god. go peddle your nonsense elsewhere

• Wiseguy says:

Where did you get this 96% from? And anyone who believes in God should know that His name is capitalized.

• Anonymous says:

I realize that this post is three months old, but I still feel that several of you don’t understand why these episodes were cancelled. First off, they were not cancelled for religious purposes. Family Guy and American Dad are both highly offensive shows to many races, religions, and ethnicities; but that doesn’t mean it was cancelled because of those offenses. The shows were replaced with encore episodes because the season was meant for family time and togetherness, for a warm and loving holiday with friends and relatives. Think about it from the perspective of these parents whose children were brutally murdered. If your child was shot and killed only days before Christmas, would you really want to watch (or hear of) a television episode depicting a potentially offensive reference to the holiday season? You would most likely break down in tears because these shows were poking fun at Christmas and the season in general, while you could not even spend a snippet of time with your lost child. Once again, I know I’m replying very late to this, but no one should have to go through such a disturbing, traumatic death, only to have their sorrow resurrected by a potentially offensive television episode.

• Maddick Brown says:

I’m so tired of episodes being replaced or not showed because of this event. What happened in CT is sad but has nothing to do with these TV shows. Its getting to be a bit ridiculous turning on the TV and seeing something about this incident instead of what’s supposed to be on. The killer is dead so let the families grieve in piece and let the rest of the world move on.

• Jester the Clown says:

… It doesn’t make sense to pull the episodes because of what happened. Frankly speaking, this country will never cease to be peaceful. Violence will erupt and occur constantly here and there all over America. Not to mention, you don’t think kids aren’t already violent in America? Think again. Pulling their episodes isn’t gonna hurt anybody except the fans to Family Guy. And like Danielle pretty much said, if you’re not offended by Family Guy now, don’t fall in line and pretend you are all of a sudden because of this tragedy. They joked about 9/11 having a female pilot and didn’t pull that episode. Spare me this crap, please. People overseas get bombarded with crap worse than events like these, so don’t go treating what happened here as something more important.

• Mike says:

everyone is too God damn sensitive everyone sucks. TV didnt cause this the horrible people in this country did so ill say you all suck. Killing kids, pullin episodes both suck but you all caused it by sucking so bad

• Wiseguy says:

First, go back to elementary school and learn the English language, grammar and punctuation. Then, come back and post your inane comments.

• Angela says:

Wow your comment was completely uncalled for!! Im pretty damn sure Family Guy had NOTHING to with that shooting. If certain people oppose the show, then don’t watch it!! I’m so sick of people blaming everything besides the real problem for these horrible things that happen. That’s seriously worse than saying GUNS killed those kids. Sick mental People did it. Not Guns, not TV, not Family Guy. Unbelievable. And how does her comment make you think in any way that she didn’t care about the shooting! Wow

• roderick says:

Agree with you 1,000%

2. echox860 says:

Bull. First this guy takes lives, now he’s taking my Family Guy!? Burn in hell

3. Vanderboom says:

Seriously? This is not some big First Amendment issue. Neither show is ending because of the tragedy; the network is just choosing not to show this particular episode at this time. It is their right to do so, and I’m glad they’re trying to be a least a little empathetic to those affected. If the biggest problem in your life is that you won’t be able to see new episodes of Family Guy or American Dad “right away,” I envy you.

4. deeg says:

unbeliveable its a real tragedy innocent kids died and some of these ass holes are still alive

5. Crown says:

And in 1999 they pulled an episode of Buffy that dealt with school shooting right after Columbine.

• ladyhelix says:

I understand why the Network pulled it, and why they are pulling these others now. But having just re-watched Earshot I do think that seeing it then might have been helpful in expanding the discussions and processing our grief following the tragedy. I can’t speak to the recent un-aired episodes (having not seen them).

• AB says:

I believe they also pulled the One Tree Hill school shooting episode and ran it at a later date because something had happened. An episode that was important to the plot of the season and I don’t recall people being outraged over the missed episode. These episodes of Family Guy and American Dad have nothing to do with the plot because these shows don’t have actual plots. Missing an episode isn’t going to cause you to be lost when you watch the next episode. Get over it. Fox is showing it’s respect and sympathy. If you can’t understand that then you never will.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m glad they are trying to be sensitive. So many are hurting right now over this, why make it worse for them? I can gladly sacrifice watching these shows if it helps the victims’ families in any small way. My heart feels broken for them.

7. Aaron says:

What happened was a terrible tragedy and I understand Fox wanting to be sensitive. And it’s not that I’m heartless, but if these don’t have anything to do with school shootings or kids dying, then this is another case of overreacting to real life. The thing with these episodes is that they were the holiday themed episodes. These were the last ones to close out the year before they went on holiday hiatus and come back sometime in January. American Dad every year has what is now their annual Christmas episode and is known for being very dark in humor. I look forward to it every year. Same with Family Guy’s Christmas episodes. If Fox doesn’t air these on Sunday, they’re not going to air them at all until at least possibly next December. I highly doubt they would air them on December 23rd, the day before the two biggest holiday times where a lot of people aren’t home and are with family and friends. I hope they air them on the 23rd, but I doubt it. I would be very surprised if they aired in them January when they come back. I hope they do, but I’m not hopeful.

8. Mark says:

American Dad always has the best Christmas episodes. I guess we’ll get two next year just like we had two Thanksgiving episodes of the Cleveland Show this year.

9. Kimberly says:

Okay, let me start this out by saying that #1 I do have young kids and #2 I don’t really watch either show anymore but this could be a response to pulling any shows due to a tragedy. What happened is a horrible, unthinkable thing to everyone; perhaps more so to those who have kids and obviously those closely related to what happened in CT. However, I hardly think pulling this week’s eps of AD and FG are going to in anyway “help” the families affected by this tragedy as someone posted. I understand that yes, perhaps, someone might find it offensive if they lost someone but, and I assume I am going to get trashed for this, where do you draw the line. If anyone doesn’t like something they see, change the channel. There are plenty of horrible things that happen to people everyday. Is it the number of fatalities or the age that makes this more important than anyone else’s tragedy? At the very least, if the network feels that a particular episode is so closely related to what happened, why not show it at an alternate time (which I still think is extreme) or put a disclaimer like “we express our sadness at what happened” message at the end or warning at the beginning of the shows.

I’m sick of people saying that if you don’t agree with the shows being pulled you’re a heartless person or don’t understand what is really important. Life is full of awful, life-changing situations that, unfortunately, hurt terribly to live through; however, as part of living you need to learn to handle things that may bring you heartache to watch. This in no way is directed at the victim’s families of any public tragedy but I just don’t think the message I want my kids to learn is that if something is distasteful or potentially upsetting to someone, it shouldn’t be shown at a certain time.

As a side note, I have watched the shows before and my husband still does and as a general rule I do not think the normal viewers are easily offended by pretty much anything the writers dish out.

Okay, I am now off my soap box. Let the flaming begin!

• Kate says:

The irony to all of this is that the American TV industry thinks there is an appropriate and inappropriate time to air an episode. From the outside looking in (yes, I am not American – not e the spelling of humour below) the concept that their is a right and wrong time to joke about violence, degradation, or the marginalization of a race or gender under the guise of right of free speech/humour (in the desensitized way you do) is thankfully, uniquely yours. Not that its not done elsewhere but the callousness by which you do – crinch-worthy. All right – let ‘er rip lol .

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Something we can agree on. We accept violence as an everyday part of television and movies. I think people should really question if there is ever a time to make jokes about death and violence. The fact that this type of humor appeals to the young adults in the US makes me fear we are far from done with these violent and deadly outbursts.

• Chris says:

YOU. ARE. AN. IDIOT. CHUCK. For your info…everything about religion and the bible is more violent than any movie or tv show could ever be, so getting people to move away from their TV and get religion as you would prefer is probably the worst thing people could do for themselves. And don’t cop out and say “these violent outbursts” as if there is some connection between them other than the narcissism of their attackers. Religious people are the biggest narcissists of them all: “my beliefs should overrule civil law” ie: gay marriage referenda and conscience exemptions to name a few)

• Wiseguy says:

But you spelled there “their.”

• murley says:

I think the mass murder of little children seems like a pretty reasonable place to draw the line. It seems like the concern shouldn’t be “are we being TOO sensitive to those who lost their lives and their children to a horrible violent tragedy?”

• tripoli says:

Children die, everyday, all over the world. Do you only care when it’s in your backyard? Perhaps there are people who would take comfort in their regular routine, including being able to mindlessly watch some silly TV show. As others have said, airing or not airing any show that may be too close to the tragedy will do little to ease the pain of those involved. Give it a week or 2 and most will have moved on with their lives. As people we all feel some sadness, but most of us were not personally affected by this tragedy and our sadness will be short lived. Until the next tragedy hits.

• murley says:

I absolutely care when it happens elsewhere in the world. Your assumption and judgement is misplaced and out of line. You don’t know me. I grieve for lost life. And I grieve for those left behind. The greater tragedy would be if we all just spent a week updating our facebook status about how senseless this tragedy was and then moved on and let these lives be lost in vain. The discussion happening RIGHT NOW should be about the mental health care system in our country, the issues around gun control and yes, the influence of violence in our media. Are any of these things the sole problem or contain the magical key to fix everything? No. But I am sick of this stuff happening and no significant action being taken in the aftermath. We all need to find a way to be a part of cleaning up our own backyard.

10. joe heinekein says:

To the post about being mad about not being able to see family guy this sunday, could you people be more insensitive? There are people who lost their children, which is a lot more important than seeing a new episode of FG.

11. Nina says:

Not that I’m sad to miss these shows, but pulling them is ridiculous. If the families don’t want to be offended, they shouldn’t watch shows that get laughs for being offensive.

12. Tiff says:

As a Mommy and a teacher I find this to be a wise move. While I get others are upset the shows are missing an episode think of those that have been through hell. Granted they could just change the channel but is it too much to ask ,for those of us that did t lose someone, to let go of tv shows? Anyone that has been through any kind of death knows pain and if it helps in some tiny way I say pull whatever. In the grand scheme of life are these series that important? Live your friends and families.

• Chris says:

“In the grand scheme of life are these series that important?To the people that work for a living to create them maybe they are important. Given that they put the work in rather than spend time with their families and the episodes are unlikely to be timely after the holidays I think it is silly and unnecessary. I don’t see anyone cancelling storage wars or whatever other inane crap people watch (that actually doesn’t involve any creativity). Apparently, your job is just so much more important that we should give you the veto power here. Not trying to be a jerk (had good relations with my teachers), but doesn’t it seem that there are standards that some have to follow (like atheist cartoon creators), that others (FOX/MSNBC pundits) don’t? I’m guessing what’s on the latter channels is far more likely to be unsettling.

13. Dj says:

What were in the episodes to get them both pulled?

• Zoe says:

That’s what I’d like to know. I get that Haven was pulled because it involved violence at a high school, but Family Guy is pretty much always offending people, so what could be so bad that Fox has to pull them?

• Well a Krampus is the anti-Santa and they steal bad children from their homes. That could freak some people out. Explains the American Dad pull. Can’t help w/the Family Guy pull

• Alex says:

Um.It looks like the family guy episode deals with the birth of jesus.Now we all know what happened to all those baby boys shortly afterwards.Just speculating since i know the family guy’s sense of humor.

14. Herb Finn says:

I’m guessing FOX just didn’t have enough time to edited out the questionable material in the FAMILY GUY and AMERICAN DAD episodes. I can’t beleive THE WHOLE FREEKIN EPISODES were the problem.

Be interesting to see if they turn up next week.

15. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

It’s sad how many grown adults are upset that their adult CARTOONS won’t be on for them this Sunday. Maybe you should take that 30 minutes to ponder just exactly how grown up you really are when you are still watching cartoons and throwing temper tantrums when you don’t get them. Man, this country is a shell of what it used to be. People have no respect for anything and are as selfish as possible. That and we have raised a generation of young adults that can’t put cartoons or video games aside long enough to do anything meaningful with their lives.

• GoGiants says:

Meaningful activities are important to you? Like sitting and judging people on a website devoted to television? Man, your life must just be oh-so-important.

Hey, didn’t your God say to leave the judging to Him? Seems He might not be too happy with you. But that’s right, you can just go to confession and live any old way you want otherwise, right?

16. Dee Dee says:

I don’t normally watch these shows, just catch them in reruns sometimes. I clicked on the link because of the headline which, I suspect, is exactly what Fox wanted. I doubt that these shows were any more offensive than they usually are, or that anyone connected with these terrible deaths are gonna be watching tv Sunday night anyway. Call me cynical, but it seems to me that they wanted to jump on the “bandwagon” and show their “sensitivity” as a network…oh, and get even higher ratings when they finally show the eps because of all the hoopla around them pulling them. Want to really show your sensitivity Fox? Take the money that you would have made from the advertising on these shows and donate it to some of these families to help bury their children. A funeral costs upwards of $6000 these days and its a sure bet that some will not be able to pay for it.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

It’s not the first time they have pulled Family Guy eps for this reason. They had a hurricane themed Sunday where a storm went through all three of the shows but had to pull it because of the tornado in I think Alabama, or maybe it was Arkansas, where a bunch of people got injured and killed. Not really new for them to try to be sensitive. I think it says far more that the general public feels that if it does not directly affect them then their selfish lives should not be inconvenienced in any way. It took a terrorist attack and over 3000 lives just to cancel the NFL for one week, and you wouldn’t believe the number of people that had a problem with that.

• GoGiants says:

Do you know how much money is lost when a sporting event is canceled? And it isn’t the millionaires that hurt, it’s the concession workers, the ticket window employees, the restaurant and bar workers near the stadiums.

You sure like to call people “selfish” for not “thinking” like you. Somehow, I am guessing you are the first to whine about inconvenience if something is in your way on your way to your “Christian” church.

17. Staci says:

I am glad the killer killed himself and hope he is burning in hell my thoughts and prayers are with the victims thank u fox for showing decency

18. Jeff says:

I think pulling episodes is ridiculous, first of all do you really think any of the victims families are actually sitting around watching T.V? And, secondly every time this type of tradgedy happens the killer gets 24/7 coverage, with millions of eyes watching and mouths talking. And, third of all changing programming or anything for that matter lets the killer win.

Don’t you think….that maybe a 24/7 news report talking about how many kids ages 6-7 were brutally shot to death 2-4 times each, with talk of bodies everywhere, people crying and screaming, pictures of the lost children etc. is worse, than “hmmmm”…I don’t know a cartoon or television show that is on for 30 minutes to an hour.

As for God(god) don’t even get me started! Let me guess he had a plan for 20 children and 7 adults to be executed, great God. He could cure everyone of all illness, but decides to butcher 27 innocents.