Scandal Fall Finale Recap: A Killer Revelation

Scandal RecapThis week on Scandal‘s midseason finale, Huck’s involvement in President Grant’s shooting was detailed, Vice President Langston began waving a big stick around the Oval Office and Cyrus feared the worst about James, only to realize the truth was even more grim.

RELATED | Scandal‘s Kerry Washington and 23 Other Golden Globe Nomination Snubs

HUCK IN THE CROSSHAIRS | As acting President Langston makes herself at home at the White House and addresses the nation with a not-at-all-candy-coated outlook on Fitz’s fate, Huck resurfaces at the office to out himself as the Red Hoodie Guy who’s wanted for the shooting. Harrison rings Olivia at 1600 Penn. to summon her over, and when she begs off, he insists, “Get your ass back here, now!”

With all the gladiators assembled, Huck explains how his girlfriend Becky had called him, sounding in dire straits, and asked him to meet her at a hotel room. Upon arriving, Huck did not find Becky but saw a radio-controlled sniper rifle fire off five shots at the president. He then made an atypically questionable call, to clean up the casings and pack up the rifle — to track down whomever “took” Becky, he explained. He then reveals the assassin’s gun to the room.

After Abby calls in a “favor” from David to get her hands on the hotel security footage, the associates discover that Becky checked in on her own volition, so her distressed phone call was likely a ruse. Quinn suggests in private to Huck that they have each been patsies, him for the shooting and her for the Cytron bombing — so maybe the events are connected? Huck dodges her line of (smart!) questioning to go find Becky, and at her place he discovers a secret room that proves she was working him. When a forlorn Huck retreats to the house of the family that he “watches,” Rebecca (“of Sunnybrook Farm”) sneaks up on him with a gun. She won’t divulge who hired her, but does invite Huck to run away with her. She explains that she was supposed to do an even better frame job for the shooting but didn’t, because she likes him. “We’re the same, built for each other,” she attests. “Come with me. We would do the Bonnie-and-Clyde-for-hire thing.” Huck says he’ll think about it.

The next day, Becky returns home to find Huck there, sitting with her surveillance photos of him. They pull into a heated clinch, and commence having sex atop the pics. In the afterglow, they each say “I love you” and Huck agrees to run off with her. Huck later calls Olivia to say goodbye, explaining that the feds “will hang me” for the shooting. “She got to you, didn’t she?” Liv accuses. “Turn her in… Your girlfriend shot [the president] in the head.” Huck counters, “Do I tell you who to love? So don’t tell me.” Huck later has a change of heart, though, and calls Harrison to coordinate a time when he can plant the sniper rifle at Becky’s. But when Becky is a no-show at “their place” (aka outside that family’s home) and he discovers her phone number has been disconnected, Huck gets suspicious, approaches the house, sees the door is ajar, and… finds everyone dead inside, as a recording of his convo with Harrison plays on a loop. Simply tragic, tragic stuff, and all told an hour of great work by Guillermo Diaz.

RELATED | Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy, Treme Lead 2012 NAACP Image Award Nominations

A JUSTICE IS SERVED | Hollis Doyle meets with Langston, offering her a chance to “make some history” using the contents of a file he slips her — and soon enough, the veep is blackmailing Verna, the “left-wing, baby-killing, homosexual, godless creature,” with an ultimatum: Step down from the Supreme Court, or I’ll tell the world you withheld your terminal condition and have been on meds that may have clouded your judicial judgement/opened the door for me to call into question every ruling you ever handed down.

Verna reports to Liv that the “bible-thumping bitch” is blackmailing her and wants her seat vacated “to take the court to the far right.” Liv has no easy fix for this one, and can only suggest her friend does step down, and do a speaking tour or take a lofty gig at Harvard Law. During their convo, Verna picks up that Huck could be the Red Hoodie Guy….

SECRETS & LAYETTES | With the only president that he answers to lying in a hospital bed, Cyrus is at home when he takes a call from James’ mother — and eventually realizes that his husband lied about visiting Dad the previous weekend. When James sticks with that story during a lunch date/casual prodding, Cy fears the worst — telling Liv over wine, “My young, handsome slutty husband is cheating on me.”

Cyrus’ go-to grunt Charlie does some P.I. work. He reports back that James is certainly not having an affair, but spent some time in a tiny town in Ohio — “Defiance.” A red flag goes up for Cy, who looks to put out this fire by pulling strings and getting him and James a baby girl to take home in a week’s time — meaning James will have to quit his job (and thus drop any hot story he’s working). “I’m not going to stop saying yes [to the baby],” James effuses. But when James later meets up with David on the sly, it appears he is still working the story, and turns over to the AUSA the incriminating memory card that proves the election was rigged.

OH, AND THERE WAS THIS | David finds Abby waiting for him at his place. She slaps him around some, juts her fingers into his mouth, applies some, er, “hand action” down below and they collapse onto the floor, writhing. Afterward, she ups and leaves, her face a weird mix of repulsion, anger and lust. Real Don-and-Megan Draper, psychosexual stuff.

THE BIG FINISH | The highly eventful (isn’t it always?) hour comes to a close with Verna offering Langston a choice of two envelopes: her resignation, or the name of Red Hoodie Guy (aka “Your Osama bin Laden”). In a great piece of dialogue, she notes, “One pill makes you larger, one makes you small. Your choice.” Meanwhile at P&A, a distraught Huck tells Harrison that Becky “killed his family,” and when Olivia arrives, she says they will track her down. (Quinn meanwhile acts the voice of reason, asking why this all wasn’t handed over to the feds; Harrison kinda sorta explains away that plot hole.) But it may all be for naught, as an FBI TAC team (minus Carrie Mathison) storms the office and takes Huck into custody “under the Patriot Act.”

What did you think of Scandal‘s midseason finale? Who hired Becky to frame Huck? Did the team make a mistake by not going to the cops? And what’s with treating David’s head like a bowling ball? Am I that out of the loop on the latest “moves”? (Scandal returns on Jan. 10.)

1. Lyndsi says:

Loved it!!!!!!!!! Had me on the edge of my seat. Can’t wait for it to come back on in January. Does anyone else think that the family was actually Huck’s family not just the family he wished he had??? With Olivia trying to be reassuring telling Huck that they would find her it made me think that this was his biological family. Just a thought. Can’t wait to see what else James finds out about the whole rigged election. It’s going to be good.

• Lilly says:

I don’t think that’s Huck’s family. Most CIA ops that get into killing like that tend to not have much in the way of family. I think he just really liked the look of that nuclear unit, their happiness, their closeness and their perfectly little life and wished he had even 1% of that for himself. Olivia vowed to find Becky so Huck and that family would be avenged.

2. Chris says:

I thought the reason Huck was arrested was because Sally picked the envelope with his name. Did I miss something?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, you all are probably right; Sally chose the “larger” pill. I had to watch the scenes out of order (long story), so I didn’t make the immediate connection.

• Rachel says:

I don’t know, I think it’s possible Becky called him in somehow after he turned on her. She was supposed to in the first place, and now had no reason to continue to protect him.

• Mary says:

While I would not be surprised, I tend to think not. Sally Langston realized that “bigger pill” was finding the President’s “killer” while the smaller pill would be Verna’s resignation. Finding the killer was something that would make the VP shine now, whereas getting a conservative judge on SCOTUS would be better in the long run for her agenda but didn’t do anything for her now.

• Stella says:

Except that Sally could still have gotten Verna to resign since she still had evidence against her re: letter from doctor, etc. Too many loose holes on this show, such as… the feds did not hold Huck for aiding and abetting by not revealing Becky’s guilt until he absolutely had to?

3. Christine says:

That’s what I thought too, but I guess it’s possible that they found out about Huck another way. If they had wanted it to be a cliffhanger, they shouldn’t have had Huck get arrested at the end of the episode.

4. Bee says:

can someone explain the david/abby scene? what exactly happened? i saw 2 slaps, fingers in his mouth, laying on the floor and doing what looked like rubbing and then leaving w. tears? lol

but anyway, AWESOME episode as usual.

• Lydia says:

Maybe the Fitz/Olivia love scenes have just set the expectations too high- but that David/Abby moment was the least sexy sex scene I have ever seen. I wanted to gag. Will Bailey, what happened to you?

• DB says:

that fingers in the mouth thing was unsettling, i think she was trying to test him to see if he would fight/bite back (domestic violence and all). then she cried about the sex because she’s still didn’t trust him. but whoa, so uncomfortable. although, the whole episode was pretty unsettling in general…is it January yet?

• BJohnson says:

I had the exact same thinking that Abby was seeing if he really was an abuser. I think she has her answer but now she is confused about why did she find stuff and that woman told her otherwise.

• bigdede says:

That was so nasty when she put her fingers in his mouth. Those two are not sexy. They are no Fritz/Liv

• Lilly says:

That kind of anger sex is common. More than you think. It was as confusing and twisted as what was done to break them up. That was the point of the scene, to show us that Abby knows David at her core and is starting to disbelieve everything that happens in that town until she proves it herself. I think this is her way to taking steps to get back to him. She wants him, but she needs to prove he’s a good guy first.

• Melissa says:

I think there may be some chance she knew he had the memory card in his pocket and was sent to retrieve it.

5. Mo says:

Sheer Shonda! That was ridiculously good. It’s a good thing the Christmas season will keep me so busy because otherwise I’d pace a large circle in my living room.

6. Katie says:

So glad to know that Huck was not the shooter.
    I wish David and Abby would just clear things up, Harrison should tell her the truth.
    And nice cliffhanger, Shonda. We have NO CLUE how Fitz is doing.

7. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I was a fan of the second gunman theory and that was an interesting twist on it. I never thought about a robotic gun though.

8. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Seems that is what we were supposed to think. That’s what I assumed anyway.

9. Ang says:

I’m under the impression she chose the Huck envelope as well. Huck should have known not to use his phone to plan the setup of Becky. Can’t wait to see who is behind this. I would think the guy Olivia was talking to towards the end, can’t remember his name right now. How are they going to cover this up?

• Honestly, I am slightly wondering if it was all a rouse to catch Becky, but Huck didn’t account for the fact that she’d kill his ‘family’ and that’s when it all got too messy and chaotic.

10. Ahsley says:

Its going to take at least the reason of the season (I think) to clear Huck, and for Fitz to wake up but what a ride! Sally and Hollis must think Fitz is going to die because they are burning SERIOUS bridges! And Becky killed Huck’s family…I don’t want to advocate violence but Huck (or someone) has to take her out…but if they do…how will that get Huck off the hook. And did anyone else know that with Fitz gone, they all lost post (Olivia,Cyrus, Verna, etc.). I can’t believe Verna sold out Huck….

• Absurdist says:

The knives are out and it’s every man for himself. All the conspirators have turned on each other. Pretty run-of-the-mill Shakespeare for you, really, nothing new.

• DramaMomma says:

Yes, but you notice Verna didn’t sell out Olivia? She could had easily told Sally exactly who Huck was and Olivia and others would have been arrested for conspiracy or aiding a felony. If she had, Sally would have remove Olivia from the picture in a second.

• Absurdist says:

Only the conspirators know who Huck is and can draw a straight line from Huck to Olivia. If Verna were to say how she knows Huck (and/or Quinn), she’s blown out of the water. It’s not in Verna’s interest to make that particular connection for anyone not tied to the conspiracy.

11. Jane says:

The team was right not to give the info to Huck. They wouldn’t get a fair shake for him. Quinn is annoying can’t she die already?

12. Exasperated says:

Well Hello!!! We know which envelope Langston chose! that’s why the A-Team came and took Huck away. It seems every Man’s for himself. Where’s the Loyalty….David and Abbey
    Are in love in a twisted kinda way. I hope the Pres don’t die or I will have to stop watching
    This show!!!

13. Alichat says:

Ok…..Huck is a ridiculously paranoid person. Why did it not occur to him that Becky would have bugged his phone or someone else’s at the office? I couldn’t believe he was telling Harrison over the phone to plant the gun.

14. Katers says:

Part of me is thinking that (possibly) Prez Sally wasn’t the one who sold Huck out. I mean, how would she explain knowing this piece of information in order to tell the FBI TAC team? “Uhh he’s an acquaintance of mine and I recognized him in the security footage” Can’t say you have a relationship with a Hit Man. “Oh, uh, my good pal Verna told me his name” Can’t really throw her under the bus if she wants to stay standing and avoid Verna’s wrath. My guess is Becky make a quick call to the FBI and told them Huck’s name…

• Absurdist says:

Okay, Verna’s not stupid. She’s using Huck as leverage to keep her job, and Sally’s the only one she can use that leverage with.

If Olivia can “leak” untrue information about David to work Abby, it’s not a stretch to believe that Langston could find a way to get the Huck information out without tipping her own hand.

15. Samantha says:

I think Mellie has something to do with shooting Fitz. She was awfully adamant of him not getting out of that limo…

• Absurdist says:

Glad to know I’m not the only one who caaught it.

• Rae_B says:

i agree, i too thought that Mellie knew what was going to happen because she set it up and last minute realized she wanted to renege. my question would be WHY? I also thought maybe the chubbier Secret service guy set him because he seemed pretty displeased knowing fitz was having an affair with olivia. He may be too small of a character to plant that on.

• Jessica P. says:

Mellie doesn’t have anything to gain by Fitz dying/being removed from office. Quite the opposite actually. All of her power right now comes from her status as FLOTUS. That was the whole point of that bit of information in last week’s episode’s “news coverage” of the shooting re: how Jackie O. had to vacate the White House within 2 weeks of JFK’s assassination – she had no immediate political capital since she was no longer First Lady – and it was a way of highlighting the fact that if Fitz dies, Mellie would be in a similar situation.

I think Mellie not wanting to get out of the car is a red herring to make us THINK she had something to do with it, but she’s one of the few people who genuinely loses ground/power if Fitz dies. Hollis has the most to gain now that this week’s episode seems to imply Sally didn’t know anything about who the shooter was. Otherwise, I’d say the prime candidates behind it are Hollis or Sally.

• Pearl says:

Maybe she doesn’t gain from POTUS dying, but she certainly gains from him being in coma… Think, she would stay first lady, she wouldn’t have to cope with his betrayal and rage for her, she would have a voice and she could make her way to office, now that they already have a female POTUS. Framing Huck targets Olivia, so is perfect plan!

• Cherise says:

Agreed. Seemed like she knew and had a last minute change of heart. And she was conveniently not hit at all.

16. Dee-Kay-Tee says:

Can we discuss why James is still following the Defiance story and is willing to “take down the whole administration” which includes Cyrus big time? Is he really willing to end his marriage in order to further his career…and surely end up a single dad in the process?

• Katers says:

Yes, all great points and am now realizing I’ve been so distracted by the other plots lines to even think about this one. Why is he going after this with such determination? He is dilusional if he thinks he can come out of it unscathed.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Maybe he has some journalistic integrity. That would be a top 10 story of the century and I can’t imagine anyone would cover it up, even for a marriage. He doesn’t seem too happy that his husband didn’t want a child and now he knows that getting one was only to distract him from the story, and probably save his life but I doubt he realizes that yet.

• Absurdist says:

I believe that James doesn’t know what Cyrus’s level of involvement is, because if he did, he’d be fully aware that he’s cutting his own throat. James does know that Cyrus has figured out the lying and may have some suspicions about Cyrus’s motivations (which is to say that Cyrus has guessed that he’s still writing about Hollis), but I don’t think James would still be with Cyrus if James knows that Cyrus is up to his eyeballs in the election-fixing with Hollis.

• bigdede says:

I also don’t think James knew Cyrus was in on it until the whole baby came about. Now James is being a good journalist because this is too huge to ignore. An election being rigged is big time and criminal. If James doesn’t do what is right, then he’s not really a journalist.

17. Ronnie says:

I think that it will all come back to the Vice President in some way. Also, the way Cyrus was talking to Olivia about being alone makes me think that by season’s end, James will be set up for something and go to jail or wind up dead. Either way, he’ll be alone.

• Absurdist says:

My two cents: I think Sally is taking advantage of an adverse situation, but I don’t think that she knows nearly as much as she’d like to about what’s really happening. Since everyone is out for him/herself, I also don’t think she’d care much if she did know unless it provides her with leverage somehow. If it becomes public that the election was fixed (more and more likely as everyone gets more desperate), she goes down, too.

18. Christina says:

Did anyone watch the OWN episode with Kerry? Sitting next to her was Tony and he was talking and it was table read for episode 2.11… Maybe a flashback but maybe Fitz will be awake.

• bigdede says:

I saw that and was VERY happy to see Fritz was still alive. I’m guessing that since the actor is also a director and producer, he has limited time on this show. I’m guessing that is why he’s not in every episode even though I wish he was. That actor just pulls you in. The expressions on his face and his mannerisms has got me hooked.

• Blacky says:

mmm…interesting!! where can I find that video?!? I need something “new”, waiting for January!!!

19. greysfan says:

This was an amazing episode. Loved it. One of the best episodes to date. The show is going from strength to strength.

20. Joe says:

The First Lady had something to do with it , just the way she was acting before he got shot,

21. KCC says:

All of my theories were wrong!! Well done Shonda Rhimes!!

22. Larc says:

Great! It was almost too much story for an hour, but cramming so much into that amount of time gave it an out-of-control feeling that really worked. Guillermo Díaz does a fantastic job in the role of Huck.

23. Amy says:

I really like James and Cyrus together….but I love that James is onto him

• Raawwr... says:

I love that they’re onto each other–the best, smartest, funniest, impulsive couple on tv! Grrr… I hate it when I get crushes on tv couples. Last one was Christina & Owen on Grey’s–Hawt!! OL!

24. czzzz says:

Did anyone else think that the FBI could’ve gotten Huck’s image from the elevator’s reflection? Or have I watched Bones too many times…..

25. Tina B. says:

My money is on Mellie, or maybe Mellie and the VP. Does anyone else find it unusual that Mellie isn’t insisting that Liv stay with Fitz to make him wake up cause she knows he won’t wake up for anyone but Liv? The First Lady must have more say than the VP as to who can see her husband? Unless those two are in on it together, the VP is giddy and Mellie’s behaviour before when Fitz was kind to her?

26. Louise says:

i just want fitz to wake up, i miss him and loved last weeks ep cause of all the flashback stuff :)
    have seen a partical vid of ep 11 read through and from what i can see and hear fitz it back, or its another flashback scene

27. Rachel says:

I’d be interested to see how Pope & Associates comes back from Huck being taken into custody. We already know what a big fan of Fitz’s people Sally Langston is…

28. sladewilson says:

Liv caught it every which way. Her protector is arrested, her friends are betraying her left and right, her lover is literally fighting for his life, and from all accounts from that preview, it’s gonna get worse before it gets better. You wanna know why Olivia Pope is Olivia Pope? I have a feeling we all are about to find out exactly how formidable Olivia truly is…

29. E says:

I can’t believe Becky killed the family. Sad.

30. Aimee says:

I liked this show up until this last episode. Not sure I will continue. It was a jump the shark moment for me so early in a series. Am I the only one?

31. XO says:

This show is one of the best in a long, long time! I was wondering if the plot would let me down at the end ~ NO WAY!!! Can’t wait for January:)

P.S. I think Huck’s family was that of his alter ego – everything he’d like to be.
    We all have that within us, right?

32. MoonDance says:

This episode wasn’t aired in the Philadelphia area in favor of Thursday Night Football (Seriously?!). I’ll have to catch it On Demand. Sounds like it was good.

33. Mary says:

I’m just very upset that Verna pretty much screwed Huck and Olivia. Even if Langston took her resignation instead (I don’t think that is what she chose though) she offered Huck’s name to save herself. So much for loyal friends. Guess no one is a real “friend” in Washington politics, it’s all about pushing your own agenda (at least on this show!). But all in all, best episode ever.

34. Nyoka says:

May be Verna big pill is not Huck but the person who set up the shooting and hired Becky….

35. Nyoka says:

Ok Huck was stupid for telling those ex assassins he is in love with Becky, maybe one of them set him up… Things love make u do smh….