Golden Globe Nods: My Snappy Judgments

Get More: Awards, Golden Globes

Megan Draper (Jessica Pare) and Don Draper (Jon Hamm) in Mad Men Season 5, Episode 1Golden Globe nominations were, as per usual, a decidedly mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Connie Britton!) there was one that had be scratching the skin off my scalp (Smash?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED | Golden Globe Nominations: The Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Nashville‘s Connie Britton making the cut for best drama series actress.
* Girls snagging a best comedy series nod. Ditto the show’s leading lady and main creative force, Lena Dunham.
* USA’s sublime, short-lived Political Animals sneaking into the best movie-miniseries list.
* Max Greenfield snagging a supporting actor nod for New Girl.
* Sherlock leading man Benedict Cumberbatch’s nod for best actor in a movie/miniseries. .

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The hilariously uneven Smash for best musical or comedy?
* The frustratingly bombastic Newsroom for best drama series? Over Mad Men? (Regarding the latter’s snub, perhaps the HFPA shared my hatred of Megan?)
* Nashville‘s Hayden Panettiere for supporting actress? Over Dexter‘s Jennifer Carpenter? And Homeland‘s Morena Baccarin?
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for Community. Ditto Happy Endings.
* No love for the superior American Horror Story: Asylum (save for nods for Jessica Lange.)
* No love for Parks and Recreation (although Globes co-host Amy Poehler managed to squeak in.)
Happy Endings getting bubkes.
* Sherlock getting shut out of best movie/miniseries race.
Sons of Anarchy‘s criminally underrated ensemble getting screwed.
* No best drama series nod for The Good Wife? Or The Walking Dead?

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

Comments (151)

• I should be used to the constant SoA snub, but it seriously still pains me to see both Ron Perlman and Katey Sagal constantly snubbed. Of course, Katey did win a couple of years ago but she has been consistently great and does deserve CONSTANT recognition. :( Oh, well. The comedy lineup for Best Series is the worst list of shows I have ever seen, good lord….

Comment by Warren – December 13, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter is having a great season and Michael C. Hall is still as good as ever in that role. Too bad he was overlooked.

Comment by Jan – December 13, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • those may be by far the most ridiculous GG-nominations I have ever seen.

Comment by S. from E. now – December 13, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the love for Justified?!?

Comment by amy – December 13, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sometimes I wonder if all these Justified snubs come because they air it in the winter. I think by the time nominations come around everyone has forgotten how spectacular it is. If they aired it in the spring (for the Emmys) or the fall (for the Golden Globes), it might have a better shot at getting awards. Winter is a horrible time to have a show on that you want to get nominated.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 13, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SCANDAL and KERRY WASHINGTON got screwed!! are you kidding me HFPA!! Can’t believe SCANDAL got no love from the HFPA!!

Comment by Mr. Practical – December 13, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Andrew Lincoln was overlooked for playing Rick Grimes on The Walking Dead. His acting has been amazing this season. Also, the failure to recognize Aaron Paul’s work on Breaking Bad is disappointing. Finally, Game of Thrones should be among the best drama nominees.

Comment by D – December 13, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • * Ditto everybody on SOA. Robbed.
    * Also ditto on Aaron Paul.
    * Love me some “Newsroom,” but “Mad Men” should have got the nod.
    * How did “Political Animals” get nominated? Weak.
    * “Happy Endings” got screwed.
    * “Parks & Rec” and “Community” did NOT get screwed. Overrated.
    * “Nashville” got way more love than it deserves.
    * “Archer” is the funniest show on TV, followed by “Louie.” That “Smash” and “Episodes” got noms over either one is a tragedy.

Comment by Jacques – December 13, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, “Parks & Rec” and “Community” are overrated in your opinion but “Happy Endings” got screwed? Umkay.

Though, absolutely dead-on in your call about Aaron Paul. Hopefully he’ll get his next year thanks to AMC splitting the final BB season.

Comment by Flora – December 13, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good Wife, Parenthood and Emily VanCamp sob sob sob.
    heh I loved the newsroom though so a little cheered for them and just pissing myself over Smash getting a nom, hilarious.

Comment by jay – December 13, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It blows my mind that SMASH is nominated but SOA, Justied, and Happy Endings is not. Who are these people that vote?

Comment by Heatherjm – December 13, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family didn’t need another nomination, and Sofia Vergara really, she is not that great. so many more deserving actresses..
    Big Bang Theory keeps it coming and is genuinely funny, so I don’t mind that being nominated again. .
    They have some really good writing, and funny characters onThe Middle and they are always overlooked.
    Parenthood is such a good show. I don’t understand who gets to vote on these nominations. Do they even watch? Or are they just lazy?
    Glad for Connie Britton.

Comment by Hope – December 13, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really Hayden over Christina Hendricks?!

Comment by mawhi – December 13, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy you share my pissed-offness(yep, not a word) about Happy Endings! Come onnn! I don’t get why people(non existent audience and awards show voters alike) won’t sit up and take notice of this hilarious show with one of the best ensemble casts out there!

Comment by megs – December 13, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE FRINGE AND FRINGE AND FRINGE!!!

Comment by Lore – December 13, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Parenthood or SOA is criminal. One more- Shameless. The show, the cast… there is nothing else like it.

Comment by m – December 13, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Martin Freeman OR Andrew Scott for Supporting in a Movie/Miniseries! Ridiculous.

Comment by Brandy – December 13, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just realized they lump series and miniseries together for this, not just comedy + drama. WTF? Do supporting actors just not count?? It’s like they’re just throwing them a bone.

Comment by Brandy – December 13, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, it’s so dumb. Can’t believe Sherlock didn’t get a nod either.

Comment by This – December 13, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOLKS ONCE AGAIN THE KISS ASS PRODUCERS & AGENTS CONTINUE TO GREASE THE PALMS OF HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS 75% OF THESE NOMINATIONS ARE A JOKE, SHOWS LIKE TWD,SOA ,AHS & GOT WILL NEVER GET RESPECT BECAUSE THEY ARE FANTASY SHOWS ,THE GOOD WIFE NOT GETTING ANY LOVE IS PURE BS!,MAD MEN DISSED AGAIN ABSOLUTE BS! AND SMASH IS NOMINATED WTF! I WILL NOT WATCH THIS SHOW IN JANUARY THIS THE HFP NEEDS TO BE ERADICATED FROM EXISTENCE.

Comment by BRIAN – December 13, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never get too worked up over the ridiculousness that is the Golden Globes, I just remind myself that this awards show is about as serious as the MTV movie awards…

Comment by Cynthia – December 13, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Carpenter was definitely snubbed, but I don’t think Morena Baccarin is Golden Globe/Emmy worthy. She’s good, but Carpenter is brilliant.

Comment by JennyS – December 13, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awards shows are ridiculous. They almost never give credit to the shows that deserve it. If they manage to nominate a few good ones it’s a fluke.

Comment by Kristina – December 13, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO PARENTHOOD. It makes me mad that a show this good is not recognize. I mean for this season Monica Potter deserves more than an award she deserves a monument for her performance thus far!

Comment by Cc – December 13, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Game of Thrones, SOA, Walking Dead or Justified…CRAP!!!!!

Comment by ruandvin – December 13, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch PARENTHOOD anymore, but I hear Monica Potter has been knocking it out of the park. STILL no love for John Noble, his incredibly talented cast mates, or brilliant show. In the entertainment world, that’s a travesty. I agree that Jake Johnson has been the highlight this season on NEW GIRL, even though Max Greenfield is fantastic. There are so many talented individuals that it is difficult to recognize all of them, but still… And unless you watch every show, it is hard to know whether someone else is deserving. COMMUNITY and RAISING HOPE have produced some great material and acting. Honestly, I’d have liked to have seen some love for SUITS.

Comment by 4theloveoffilm – December 13, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about Connie Britton/Nashville and the Big Bang Theory. That’s about it.

I feel like for an actor or show to get nominated, you have to have already been nominated for a bunch of other stuff.

I disagree that Monica Potter specifically was snubbed; I think Parenthood as a WHOLE was snubbed and should have received a ‘Best Drama Series’ nom. The entire cast has been fantastic this season – those with the super-big storylines (Potter and Krause), those with the love-related storylines (Mae Whitman) and even those with the smaller storylines (Lauren Graham, RAY ROMANO and Jason Ritter).

I’m ambivalent about Smash – I really thought they were pushing Debra Messing for a nom. Otherwise, it’s okay.

In terms of comedy, I don’t rate New Girl at all. I don’t see why it wins so many awards – I have watched it but rarely even chuckle.

Comment by Louise – December 13, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too bad the Globes are so hellbent on just following in the footsteps of prior years and big names of shows, and pandering to the pay-cable networks, instead of looking at some of the different and less overtly showy things happening in other parts of the TV landscape. Mary McDonnell managed to do much more than simply take over the lead role with Major Crimes, and turn what should have just been a spin-off of a crime drama into something much more layered, nuanced and balanced than it’s predecessor, and her role as Sharon Raydor was imbued with dignity, honesty and humanity, and raise the bar far past a simple crime procedural.

Comment by MoshePipik – December 13, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the Game of Thrones and Parenthood love!

Comment by Gabrielle – December 13, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrillled to see that Episodes and Matt LaBlanc were both nominated. Most people have missed this hilarious show… I only wish they had more of them Episodes.

Comment by xwiseguyx – December 13, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Curious that Sarah Paulson is recognized for Game Change but not American Horror Story. Still, it would have been criminal if they left Jessica Lange off, so it’s good at least the show is getting some mention.

Comment by Flora – December 13, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No love for Walking Dead (special mention to Andrew Lincoln’s portrayal of Rick Grimes) and Justified? WTF!!

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – December 13, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other than The Good Wife (soooooooooo tired of that show) I absolutly agree with everything you said.

Comment by Jack – December 13, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh boo hoo. No one is EVER going to be completely satisfied with any of these, so stop complaining.

Comment by Victor Field – December 13, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy Rossum! Emmy Rossum! Emmy Rossum!

Comment by Jinjeon – December 13, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason I’m forgiving the nomination committee for the omission of Monica Porter and Peter Krause was the deadline of Nov. 2nd. Most of the best work has been after the deadline. They deserve recognition next year for sure!!!

Comment by kbear1576 – December 13, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel rather proud as I actually saw that Mad Men snub coming. Late last night when looking at my picks, I suddenly felt the urge to replace Mad Men with The Newsroom and went for it. It was the HFPA, I just knew they would love The Newsroom. And I really wouldn’t be surprised if they did hate Megan. Mad Men seemed like the most likely show to go down to make a spot for The Newsroom. I would have loved to have seen Justified or Walking Dead get a nomination over Downton Abbey, but I knew that wasn’t happening. I am fully aware at this point I am the only person in the whole world who doesn’t believe Downton Abbey deserves awards.
    So I actually got all the drama series nominations correct along with all the drama actors, comedy actresses, and did okay in most of the other categories. I completely screwed up supporting actress though and only got two right (Maggie Smith and Sophia Vergara). Way too many picks to choose from there. I actually did well enough that I got 81% of the nominees right and came in 1st out of 868 people on the Gold Derby site for their prediction contest that they have. I thought I would do horrible because the Golden Globes can be so weird. But I guess I have written proof now that I spend WAY too much time watching television! I should probably feel a lot of shame over coming in 1st on that contest. I am sorry to say I did pretty terrible on guessing the film nominees. They went very mainstream, my picks had too many independent films in them. Anyhoo…
    I’m really pleased Louis C.K. got a nod over Jon Cryer again. I always worry people who vote for these things won’t get Louis’s sense of humor. I’m super shocked at all the AHS snubs. I thought the show would get a nod for sure and so would Lily Rabe and maybe Sarah Poulson. I am really mad about the Sherlock snub. I’m glad for Benedict though. I was surprised and a little angry Aaron Paul was snubbed, but seeing Mandy Patinkin get a nod more than made up for that. I’m glad for Matt LeBlanc, Episodes, Girls, Lena Dunham, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and Amy Poehler.
    Other snubs I’m mad about: Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Andrew Lincoln, Kelsey Grammer, Mad Men, the ladies of Mad Men, Veep, Louie, Parks and Rec, and Katey Segal. I can’t even be mad about the Community snubs, because it was so expected. Of course they wouldn’t recognize my favorite comedy and its actors. Of course they wouldn’t. Thank goodness they actually got my other favorite show Homeland right!
    Off topic, I think somebody needs to start a Razzies for television the way they do for movies. They could have it around the same time as the Emmys!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 13, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Connie Britton. Sofia Vergara is obnoxious and I’ve never understood why she gets nominated for being obnoxious when she’s like that in real life, it’s not acting. John Noble is snubbed again, predictable but still disappointing. Stana Katic is still getting no love…yes, Castle is a sort of campy dramedy (not a bad thing in this case), but she’s been amazing in their more serious/high stakes episodes and deserves some recognition. At least she gets it in the form of viewership. I don’t get the Smash nom either. It’s somewhat entertaining and had a better season than Glee, but still. And the supporting actors lumped together irritates me too. At the very least split the supporting actor in a tv movie/miniseries category off.

Comment by Andie – December 13, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Middle is a really funny show and always gets snubbed.
    Parenthood is a very good show and it gets snubbed.
    Just my 2 cents.. Do these award shows really matter anyway?

Comment by Jeanette – December 13, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who actually likes Smash? Sure, it’s not perfect (what show is?), but most of the actors were are really good, and I found it entertaining and it kept me coming back.

Comment by Katie – December 13, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When you realize how stupid all awards are, then you don’t give a flying fig who gets what.

Comment by KevyB – December 13, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post