Golden Globes: Homeland, Game Change Lead Nominations; Nods for New Girl, Nashville, Smash

Golden Globe NominationsNominations were announced on Thursday morning for the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards, and HBO’s Game Change telepic led the pack with five total nominations, while Showtime’s Homeland followed with four.

ABC’s Modern Family was the best-represented comedy, with three nominations, and this year’s new blood includes New Girl‘s Max Greenfield, NBC’s Smash, HBO’s Veep and Nashville‘s front-and-center females.

The Globes will be held Jan. 13, 2013 in Beverly Hills, broadcast on NBC and hosted by Tina Fey (30 Rock) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation). As with this week’s Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, the eligibility period was the 2012 calendar year.

Review the list of TV nominees, then share your raves and rants in the Comments. Also, be sure to check out Michael Ausiello’s “Snappy Judgements” on who was snubbed and such.

• DRAMA SERIES

• DRAMA – ACTRESS
Connie Britton, Nashville
Glenn Close, Damages
Claire Danes, Homeland
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

RELATED | SAG Award Nominations: Homeland, Downton Abbey and Modern Family Lead the Pack; Sons of Anarchy, Political Animals Sneak In

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES – ACTRESS
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Lena Dunham, Girls
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Treme Lead 2012 NAACP Image Award Nominations

• SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – SUPPORTING ACTOR

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – ACTRESS
Nicole Kidman, Hemingway & Gellhorn
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum
Sienna Miller, The Girl
Julianne Moore, Game Change
Sigourney Weaver, Political Animals

RELATED | Breaking Bad, Modern Family Lead Writers Guild Noms; Girls and Nashville Among First-Timers

Visit our sister site Movieline for a complete list of motion-picture nominations.

1. Sam says:

…..Smash….but not Parks and Rec?

Can we all just take a moment? The tragedy and hilarity of this situation…

2. Fabian says:

No Parenthood. No Happy Endings. No Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23. No Parks and Recreation. At least some of the actors should have been nominated!!! Congrats to Amy Poehler, at least. I don’t like how all of the cable shows get nominated over broadcast programs. They are not all that great, stop being pretentious!

• soundscene says:

It’s true — there’s this false mindset that if it’s on cable (or rather, particular cable stations), then the program must be better. It’s the reverse of the way it used to be when broadcast ruled. But I would give anything for these voters to stop thinking so narrowly. Dramas don’t need to be gritty or dark or have massively damaged characters in them to be great dramas, and the vast majorities of cable dramas nominated are just those types of shows. If the cable universe reflected real life, we would be living amongst primarily crazy, irresponsible, self-centered jerks who care nothing for the law but are still somehow gainfully employed.

• Alan says:

its not that “they can do more therefore its better” its that “they do do more therefore its better”. network tv is all about the status quo and that is what causes the problems, meanwhile on cable they are able to move the plot forward much more organically which just leads to better storytelling

• Fabian says:

Watch Parenthood and The L.A. Complex. Then you will see how amazing broadcast television can be.

• soundscene says:

As somebody who watches way too much TV on both broadcast and network, I haven’t found that to be true. There are crappy shows on both and great shows on both. And the great shows on broadcast move forward just as organically as those on cable.

• Alan says:

of course this was just a general statement but i felt it covered broadly how things are. of course there are exceptions on both sides but i do feel like networks are obsessed with keeping shows in a specific place in order to keep it going long past when it should end

3. wrstlgirl says:

The fact that there’s zero acknowledgement for Sons of Anarchy and/or The Walking Dead just shows how ignorant these people are.

4. xime says:

I’m really REALLY happy about the New Girl’s nominations …. they’re the best =D

5. William says:

I can’t believe that they snubbed Kerry Washington! She has done a remarkable job as Olivia Pope for Scandal. *sigh*

6. soundscene says:

I will never understand the love for Girls. I find the acting mediocre and the writing obnoxious. There were so many other better shows that should have gotten nominated (Community, Parks & Rec, to name two).

Smash–meh… it’s new and “different” (sort of) and Golden Globes likes that. No Fringe love is sad, but not unexpected. The only nomination I’ve excited about is for Benedict Cumberbatch (who likely won’t win). Most of the rest are predictable and some of them are just downright sad.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I personally love the show Girls, but I can accept that it’s not a show for everyone. I think it’s much easier to appreciate if you’ve ever been in that aimless, lost, self-centered place those characters are in. I am definitely in that place right now. I find it amazing that Lena Dunham can write and play a character that has such ugly characteristics and do it so unabashedly. I kinda think that’s where the brilliance of the show lies, is in that perfect state of naked emotion where you stop caring that others can see your imperfections, and the side of you that you’re too scared to ever show anyone suddenly becomes the only side you know how to show. Just my opinion. Like I said, I can totally accept that Girls is not a show for everyone. Honestly, I would have much preferred to see Community get nominated if I had to choose between the two.

7. Rachel says:

The Big Bang Theory. Smash. Girls. Modern Family. Episodes. THOSE are the best comedies on air at the moment? I do enjoy three of them but none of them can even hold a candle to Parks and Rec.

Also, both Cougar Town and Go On are better than anything on the list.

Love the fact Connie Britton is getting recognized. And Amy Poehler, of course.

But over half this list makes me wonder if those people and I are watching the same tv.
    Plus, the fact that Fringe will be over and John Noble won’t get recognized for his work is just unbelievable.

8. sherknd says:

Why dont they give cable tv dramas their own category so the other shows, ie Parenthood, can stand a chance. Network TV will never compare to cable because of guidelines on what they can and cant do.

• soundscene says:

I think broadcast shows compare just fine with cable–it’s the false notion that swear words, sex and a lot of violence make a show better that needs to get the boot.

9. dude says:

Love Connie Britton but would much rather see Hayden Pannettiere win. Juliette IS the show.

10. Vetle says:

Dexter. </3

11. TW says:

Thrilled with the nominations for Smash and Newsroom. Too bad Lea Michele was overlooked again…

12. Sara says:

No SOA once again. Shameful.

13. sab17 says:

No Parks and Rec again?!! What a joke! But like Ron freakin’ Swanson would say “Awards are stupid…but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.”

14. John Noble!!??!?!?!?! Snubbed again. Shameful, very shameful.

15. so your telling me that Nashville leads get nom but Emily Van Camp still hasnt been nom. for her role on Revenge, im calling BS on this years award.

16. CJ says:

I am always so disappointed when I see award show nominations. Modern Family is SO overrated, and because of it, great shows and great actors are snubbed again and again. Have these people never watched Parks and Rec?! And much love to Connie Britton and all, but Monica Potter blows her out of the water as Kristina Braverman. I could go on about this all day but these nominations really frustrate me.

17. Sophie says:

No nominations for The Walking Dead?????????

18. Fabian says:

The L.A. Complex should have been nominated. The actors are fantastic. I know it would have been an insanely long shot, but it really is a terrific show.

19. Gerald says:

Yawn…. So few network shows. I’llbe tuning in to the People’s choice for TV shows. I’ll watch Golden Globes only for the movie awards section.

20. sarah says:

Snubs in my opinion:
    Parenthood
    Dexter

I am happy Kevin Costner was nominated but Bill Pullman should have been too and I am shocked that Connie and Hayden are nominated, the show is good but not fantastic and they are good in their roles but not sure if it they are Emmy worthy!
    Also why just Eric Stonestreet and Sofia Vagara? Ty Burrel is great so is Julie Bowen and Jesse Tyler Ferguson never gets recoginition and he is fantastic!

21. Lori says:

Kathryn McPhee was robbed! She should have won for “Don’t forget me” which was the best song and most unforgetable moment of season one! S2 is looking like it will suck but at least season was great!

22. Fabian says:

Monica Potter and Mae Whitman — Parenthood. That is all.

23. Gilda says:

Yeah Sherlock! Did they submit the whole season or just Scandal in Belgravia like for the Emmys?

24. Tinemi says:

Political Animals is a miniseries? Does that mean they will not come back with a second season? Have I lost some information on the way?

25. Mark says:

Aaron Paul not getting a nomination is a crime.

26. Ash says:

Martin Freeman not getting nominated as Supporting Actor in Sherlock? Seriously? Did you people SEE The Reichenbach Fall?!

• soundscene says:

I agree he should have been nominated over some that were, but the fact that HFPA lumps all supporting actors from all genres and formats into one category is also to blame.

27. AT says:

These choices are first, obvious and predictable for the most part, and for the second laughable. Nashville is horrid. I still don’t understand why all the critics love it. I keep trying to give it a chance but really…And Smash? Entertaining but not the best at all.

28. Paul says:

Very surprised that Parks & Rec isn’t nominated. I don’t get it. Here’s to hoping that Amy Poehler will pull out a win!

29. Katie says:

I find The Big Bang Theory atrocious. I will never understand why the critics love it. In no way should it be picked over Parks, Louie, or Veep. And Smash is fun to watch but not one of the best.
    Aaron Paul should get all the awards, major snub.
    And while Castle as a show should not be nominated, the acting of Stana Katic deserves some recognition.
    Side note… I feel like I need to start watching Parenthood! It’s fans are very convincing.

30. best actress in a comedy series category nominations are impressive….

31. Lydia says:

The HFPA is 95 people, 95 people pick these things, and some of them aren’t even industry professionals (you have to publish 4 articles per year (doesn’t have to be a major publication) and live in California One of them is a car salemen and on is a real estate agnet). It’s an incredibly tiny group, so they generally like big flashy new things (They are the only people to pick Glee for ANYTHING) , or tried and true favorites year after year (30 Rock, Modern Family). Shows that started small and gained momentum, like Parks and Rec, Community, or shows on smaller networks, like the CW, are just not likely to have been seen enough in comparison to be nominated.

32. Aleksa says:

Why do awards shows hate Community?

33. opus says:

It is absolutely inexcusable that Mad Men was not nominated for best drama and it also deserves acting nominations for more than just Jon Hamm (who is very deserving!).

34. Ehsan says:

I’m Glad For Nomination Of Jessica Lange , Jon Hamm , Amy Poehler And Glenn Close. BUT…
    Where is Parks and Rec?
    Smash?!?! Seriously?!?
    Nothing From Walking Dead , Game Of Thrones , Dexter , Sons Of Anarchy , Person Of Interest…
    Where is Andrew Lincoln? Jennifer Carpenter? Peter Dinklage? Aaron Paul? Nick Offerman?…
    None Of Them?
    WHY?!

35. Patty says:

si happy for The Good Wife, great season in my opinion. So happy for Kalinda, although it hasn´t been her greatest season..

36. Brandon says:

Why do the cable nominations bother me so much? They make these shows so boring.

37. broncfanwa says:

wow, i’ve actually watched one of the nominated shows! i guess i’m just too lowbrow for the nominating crew. oh, well, back to my cave….

38. gary says:

so how much did NBC pay GG to give Smash a nomination?

39. John says:

Complete iCarly dis! And in it’s last season too.

40. Caro says:

Definite wins should be for:
    DRAMA SERIES: The Newsroom
    DRAMA – ACTOR: Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
    DRAMA – ACTRESS: Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
    COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES: Episodes
    COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES – ACTOR: Matt LeBlanc, Episodes

SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

41. Minny says:

Does anybody think there should be separate categories for Cable and Network shows for the GG, SAG and Emmys? It seems like Drama is totally dominated by Cable now. I’m sure there would be five drama actors and actresses all from Network shows that would be worthy of nominations? That way Parenthood, Greys and others wouldn’t be ignored. And more viewers for the ceremony because more of thegeneral public can’t afford cable, watches network, so they would actually be invested in the results?

42. J says:

Smash and no Community? They”ve officially lost their marbles over at the Emmy voting panel.

43. Nadine L. says:

Sons of Anarchy’s cast and guest stars this season were once again overlooked….. Such a shame, Kurt Sutters personal opinions on the voting process should not prevent the show and it’s cast from receiving nominations for the outstanding performances because of how he feels, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and he’s right. Sons is not the only show that was overlooked or the actors on the show. Kerry Washington is phenomenal in Scandal as is the show itself.

44. Lindz says:

What freaking joke!!!! Seriously these noms suck ass!!! Where’s House? Glee? Game of Thrones? Sons of Anarchy?!? For crying out load 30 Rock and Mad Men suck ass!!!!

45. Britta Unfiltered says:

I always find the broadcast network vs. cable argument so interesting. I’m not really sure cable has all that much of an advantage over the networks personally. The problem with broadcast networks is that they are not willing to take risks on a lot of the most truly creative shows out there. I believe I heard Matt Weiner say once that they tried to sell Mad Men to NBC, and NBC basically laughed at them and said no one would watch it. NBC had the best cop drama on the air with Southland and was going to cancel it until TNT took a risk and picked it up and now they have been airing it a few years. And I don’t think people automatically assume just because something is on cable it must be good and should be getting awards. If that were true, shows like Burn Notice, Hell on Wheels, Boss and The Big C would be raking them in like some of the other cable shows out there. And if you think voters are out there just favoring pretentious dramas, take a look at what happened with the Mad Men snub, one of the most famously pretentious shows out there.
    Personally, I think we are in a golden age of television, and the shows we watch are changing. People are demanding more of a movie-like quality to their shows. They are becoming fed-up with the same old stuff on television and want something new and challenging to watch. Cable channels picked up on that and ran with it. Broadcast networks just haven’t caught up yet. I think they will eventually, and The Walking Dead is going to be the catalyst for it, because it is proving a show can be high quality, air on cable, and still kick everyone else’s butts in the ratings (which is exactly what it did this fall.) I think we are very close to a revolutionizing of what we see on broadcast networks. Shows are going to start running much shorter seasons, have higher budgets, a higher pedigree of cast members, better writing, and just overall better quality. It may not happen right away, but it’s going to happen.

46. No Sherlock? No Martin Freeman? C’mon. robbed. Robbed.

47. Disillusioned says:

Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Sons of Anarchy, Kerry Washington, and they miss their last chance to nominate Walter Bishop? Seriously? I mean, The Emmys and the SAG, I would expect this, but the GGs have so often done them one better. Damn. Damn. Damn.

48. Midori004 says:

Just give Homeland everything and call it a day.

49. My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was entirely right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

50. S Strain says:

Glee is much better than Smash and the NYC/Lima setup makes for interesting (though limited) storyline development. And the performers are better by far.

No NCIS? No Bones? No Elementary? That, at least, has the “sparkle” of a new toy for them. New Girl is vapid – funny but empty.

Glad for The Modern Family and AHS: Asylum and Downtown Abbey’s nods.

• Alan says:

ncis, bones and elementary are procedurals, procedurals dont get nominated for anything ever. and in the cases of bones and elementary thats a very good thing