Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Castle, Scandal, NCIS, Vampire Diaries, Beast, Haven and More!

Castle, NCIS, Beauty and Beast SpoilersWill Castle be able to nail Valentine’s Day? Will Supergirl raise hell on Haven? When will Beauty give her Beast a buss? And first and foremost: What the Huck?! Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Scandal | I Scandalpaced this week’s column because I just screened tonight’s midseason finale, which yet again proves that just when you think you’ve got the tiniest bead on what’s going on, you realize you simply do not. Yes, you will get the full (and incredible) story on Huck’s involvement in the shooting – and how a random act of kindness threatens to finger him for the assault. (As for Fitz’s status… let’s just say that a funeral plan is getting handed around. Eep.) Also in the compelling hour: Acting POTUS Sally Langston gets an “interesting” visitor soon after making camp in the Oval Office – and then herself drops in on Verna to deliver a threat; Cyrus catches James in a big lie; Abby slaps someone, twice; and, perhaps most shocking, someone shouts at Olivia, “Get your ass back here now!” – and lives to tell about it. One more tease: At hour’s end, Langston is invited to make a very difficult decision. (Come back after the episode to predict Sally’s choice!)

RELATED | Ratings for Thursday, Dec. 6: Scandal Hits All-Time Highs

Castle | Remember (of course you do) how Rick let down Kate by obliging her wishes and not coughing up a Christmas gift? That “oops” will be revisited as the couple celebrates their first Valentine’s Day together. In that February sweeps episode – the same one guest-starring Firefly alum Gina Torres as the star of a Real Housewives-like reality mess – “Castle and Beckett are talking about what they got each other, and there’s a subtle competition between the two of them,” shares show boss Andrew Marlowe. And as Rick strikes to make good on his Yuletide faux pas, “That in and of itself brings its own complications…. Let’s just say that some wild hijinks ensue as he tries to deliver her present.” Hmm, bigger than a breadbox? Or (ahem) tiny enough to fall down a sewer grate?

RELATED | Castle Exclusive: Gina Torres on Board for Show’s Latest Firefly Reunion

Haven | Smallville alum Laura Vandervoort kicks off her two-episode arc this Friday, starting with Season 3′s penultimate episode, and this much viewers have gleaned about her heretofore top-secret role: She is playing Arla, the wife of James Cogan (aka The Colorado Kid) — a neat trick since sooo many years have passed and she looks… well, like a twentysomething Laura Vandervoort. The actress describes Arla as someone who is “out for vengeance” yet is also “a true romantic who has been hurt.” The stone-cold revenge-seeker in her, though, promises to show fans “someone they haven’t seen me play before,” she raves. (I’ve seen this run’s final two hours, and Arla plays a pivotal role in some wiiiild stuff that goes down, as Audrey debates her fate/date with The Barn.)

RELATED | Vampire Diaries‘ Joseph Morgan on the ‘Bloody’ Fall Finale, Klaus’ ‘Game’ With Caroline

The Vampire Diaries | Joseph Morgan says that when Klaus ultimately reunites with the currently staked Rebekah, we should “expect turbulence” between the sibs. “Obviously, she is not going to be happy with Klaus!” he laughs. Assaying the duo’s dynamic – namely the differences that drive a wedge between them – Morgan says, “To a certain extent, part of Klaus wishes she could be the bloodthirsty, fabulous vampire that he wants her to be, but she’s so desperate for love that she comes across as weak to him. And she’s been used against him as one of his weaknesses.” As a result, he previews, “We’ll see that dynamic become more and more complicated — as sibling relationships are.”

RELATED | Exclusive: NCIS Casts Young Abby for Origin Episode Full of ‘Prizes’ for Longtime Fans

And now, some reader questions:

Will we see a kiss between Beauty and the Beast’s Cat and Vincent anytime soon? — @FlamingJets
I brought your question (and the dozens just like it, sent via Twitter!) to EP Sherry Cooper, and she said that Vincat fans waiting with bated breath for a proper (or better yet improper) kiss “are going to be pleased”… at some point during the back half of Season 1. “And we’re all pleased, too!” she shared. “Watching [an upcoming episode], I was all aflutter. I mean, we wrote it and I was like, ‘Kiss her!’”

I love “Tiva” and all but is NCIS ever going to continue on with McGee’s father drama? They need to. –Morgan
They need to, yes – and they will. “It’s coming,” promises showrunner Gary Glasberg. “We were originally sort of planning for it to fall in February, but I think it may be a bit later. We’re in the middle of writing it as we speak, and I’m excited to see who we come up with” to play the esteemed Navy admiral. Make your casting suggestions in comments!

Why isn’t January Jones on the SAG Awards cast list for Mad Men? I hope this isn’t a spoiler about Betty leaving the show. –CCA
Have no fear, it’s just a technicality. Per Page 14 of the Screen Actors Guild Award eligibility requirements, any nominated ensemble “shall be defined as those actors who have appeared in more than half the episodes originally aired during the eligible calendar year” — and sadly Betty’s Weight Watchers meetings kept her off-camera too much.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (55)

• Can’t wait til we see McGee’s father on screen. I definitely vote for Brent Spiner as Admiral McGee on NCIS!

Comment by Marla (@zoyaroses) – December 13, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oooh, I never considered Brent Spiner – but now that you mentioned it – it’s a good fit, plus my inner Star Trek fangirl and my NCIS fangirl can squee as one!

Comment by Kathi – December 13, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Brent Spiner would be great! I’d also suggest the awesome Dean Stockwell!

Comment by Mena – December 13, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to see Sean Murray do it! Having father and son lookalike would be great to point out their character differences.

Comment by Liz – December 13, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmm. That could be interesting.

Comment by Lia – December 14, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John M. Jackson has my vote. Nice little nod to JAG (and Sean role on that shiw) and can’t you see him playing a hard nose dad to McGee?

Comment by DramaMomma – December 13, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The irony in your statement is that John M. Jackson’s character on JAG dated Sean Murray’s character’s on JAG mother…

Comment by Lindz – December 13, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree on John Jackson he’s the first one I thought of.

Comment by Dee – December 14, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • John Jackson would be a good choice. I pictured McGee’s dad as tall and imposing…and maybe silver haired…like John O’Hurley

Comment by Ru – December 16, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Castle back now!!!

Comment by Rachael – December 13, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty and the Beast scoop is always appreciated. Thanks Matt!

Comment by Jay – December 13, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • castle sounds like it should be funny as always. i am so sick of rebecca on tvd she just annoys me. bring back elijah.

Comment by ollie – December 13, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone has started to annoy me on TVD. Elijah needs to come back quick and save the show and show his sexy self.

Comment by MM – December 13, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow really? I agree with you about Elijah but I adore Rebecca. She is such a complex character and way more exciting than the character they’ve turned Elena into.

Comment by Fran – December 14, 2012 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many questions about Haven…but thanks for the info. I get more and more into that silly show every week.

Comment by bluebonnetbelle – December 13, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s addictive isn’t it. One of my guilty pleasure shows.

Comment by wrstlgirl – December 13, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stand proud girlfriend! Haven isn’t just a guilty pleasure. It’s okay to shout out your love for the show! :)

Comment by KittyJules – December 13, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL, oh I don’t hide it. I have pictures of Eric Balfour on my wall <3

Comment by Wrstlgirl – December 13, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did you copy & paste that Vampire Diaries scoop from last year because it seems that has already been done :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – December 13, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh PLEASE listen to this casting suggestion! Please, cast John M. Jackson. As a JAG fan originally, this casting would be PERFECT for the character and meaningful for the history of the JAG/NCIS industry.

Comment by Claire – December 13, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally like this idea: he brought the stern for sure.

Comment by John – December 13, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • john m. jackson would be a superb as mcgee’s dad. he was super on jag and this would be a very well deserved thank you to jag from ncis… just two really good shows that have lasted for a long time.

Comment by earl – December 13, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying Beauty and the Beast, but I’ve found myself rooting for her with Evan and I know that won’t end well for me.

Comment by Gilda – December 13, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Evan too, but Vincent is just…NICE.

Comment by Renee – December 13, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Usually when there’s some kind of triangle on a show, I take sides. With this one, though, I’m happy either way. Love the idea of her and Vincent, but equally love the dynamic with Evan.

Comment by Cee – December 14, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL poor Castle. I need new episodes now.

Comment by Mari – December 13, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really glad to see that McGee is getting some face time. I feel the last 2 years have been DiNozzo related with 3 years of Tony Sr. Baltimore, obsessed with a missing reporter, the horried EJ ( 4 shows) Tony in a hospital depressed, etc. It’s time to give everybody some more storylines. Please spread the wealth. I loved that they actually gave Abby and Ziva a storyline together. That was the best show of the season and the ratings proved it. More Abby, McGee and Ziva and maybe some more Palmer.

Comment by Bob Haiskey – December 13, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes I agree! I loved the Abby & Ziva together storyline! Definitely need some more of that as well as more Abby! More Ziva storyline would be good as well. McGee storyline would be good with the dad & the sister coming back at sometime also… it was nice to see him as the protective older brother instead of just ‘Probie’.

Comment by Jennifer – December 13, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I have had it to up my ears with Tony. I would love to see more Abby and Ziva, even the cute little lab assistant scene we saw in the last episode was refreshing. More McGee and Ducky would also be a good thing. Actually anyone, but Tony.

Comment by NOTatonyfan – December 14, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Tony. He didn’t get to do much of anything but be the incompetent butt of every joke from seasons 6 – 8, so I’m glad he got a couple episodes. Half of the ones you mentioned weren’t really Tony centric, they just had Tony B or C plots. I loved You Better Watch Out and wish we’d get more Tony episodes that were subtly revealing and didn’t demean the character in some way. I’m completely tired of Ziva and her constant soapish tragedies. And what’s up with her having a BFF scene with someone in every episode this year? I’m looking forward to the McGee episode, and hope that he has some good friendship scenes with Tony and Abby.

Comment by Sadbuttrue – December 30, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Beauty & the Beast scoop Matt. Really wish the kiss was sooner not later (as in tonight!), but I’ll take what I get.

Comment by Renee – December 13, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! I was hoping for tonight too.

Comment by mia – December 13, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal – so if it’s not Huck as the shooter and it’s way too obvious to have Charlie as the gunman, how about Huck’s girlfriend taking revenge for the bombing because her partner was killed? I’m concerned that I’m getting as dark and twisty as Mer and Shonda:)

Comment by Shar – December 13, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Need Castle sneak peeks, like NOW! *-*

Comment by tahina – December 13, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David James Elliott (Harm from JAG) should play McGee’s dad.

Comment by Jackie – December 13, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glenn Morshower should play McGee’s dad. He was Landry Clarke’s father on FNL.

Comment by Renee – December 13, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent suggestion.

Comment by Maria – December 14, 2012 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is some seriously good Castle scoop! Thank you and feel free to keep it coming… ;-)

Comment by Kate – December 13, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if they will kill Fitz off?

Comment by sonja – December 13, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not to be repetitive but….
    David James Elliot would be perfect as a Admiral McGee, in the JAG timeline Harmon Rabb, Jr should be a Admiral… welcome aboard..

Comment by Jack Wahl – December 13, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Beauty and the Beast scoop! Glad to know its coming! God, it’ll be good when it happens lol.

Comment by mia – December 13, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa, no hating on the Dinozzo!

Comment by Jack Wahl – December 13, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.Lee Ermey would be a good one for McGee’s father, or Stephen Root (NewsRadio) or Barry Corbin (Northern Exposure).

Comment by Lori Fugate – December 14, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And maybe even Tim Matheson.

Comment by Lori Fugate – December 14, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS should ask Tom Selleck to guest as Thomas Magnum now a retired general-McGee used his grandmothers maiden name McGee to distance himself from the General.

Comment by Barb – December 14, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for James Remar as McGee’s father.

Comment by Lia – December 14, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gerald McRaney , major dad, as mcgees dad…

Comment by Sima – December 14, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s busy being Mike’s mom’s boyfriend and Mike’s boss on Mike & Molly. How about Mike Farrell [BJ on M*A*S*H]? He has dignity, strength, and a presence that would be perfect for NCIS.

Comment by Templar – December 20, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second on Farrell! I loved him on M*A*S*H and he defiantly seems to be a good fit.

Comment by jess – January 3, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bruce Boxleitner would be a perfect choice – he has the chops to play a military man!

Comment by Jo – December 21, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already used Bruce Boxleitner for an episode..one involving Tony’s Dad.Wouldn’t that just confuse everyone who has already seen it?

Comment by Allison – January 10, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d nominate Michael Ironside for Admiral McGee.He looks like he would never take nonsense from anyone, let alone his own kids.And Mike Farrell sounds good,too.Not to unapproachable,but firm enough.

Comment by Alli – December 21, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suggest Lee Majors as McGee’s Admiral father. There is even a physical (facial) resemblance.

Comment by Boyd – January 8, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Two Cents For McGree’s Family Ep: Richard Dean Anderson (has both serious and humoristic acting chops, plus would provide great chemistry against (or with Gibbs). And Bradford Anderson (who plays “Spinelli” on General Hospital) as McGee’s little brother.

Comment by Kay-Kay – January 13, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Beauty and the Beast will eventually be available on DVD. I see Vampire Diaries and Supernatural made it.

Comment by Elizabeth – March 14, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post