Vampire Diaries' Joseph Morgan on the 'Bloody' Midseason Finale and Klaus' 'Game' With Caroline

My Brother’s Keeper Klaus better watch out: On this Thursday’s midseason finale of The Vampire Diaries, his hybrid Tyler comes after him with the power of his wolf pack. The Original may not see the attack coming because the beautiful Caroline has been distracting him. But is Klaus really as in the dark as he seems? Has he turned the tables and charmed the blonde vamp for real? And how will he retaliate when all is revealed? Below, Joseph Morgan tackles our burning questions about this week’s “bloody” episode.

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Holiday Hot Shots: Yuletide Fights Create a Whole Lot of Humbug

TVLINE | Everyone, from Caroline to Tyler, is playing Klaus this season. He can’t possibly be that clueless to what’s going on, can he?
[Laughs] I don’t think so, no. It seems like that, doesn’t it? Like everything’s going on right under his nose and he’s oblivious to it all. And there is a certain amount of distraction that’s come from wooing Caroline and having that somewhere near the forefront of his mind. But all of this deception is going to come out in the open very soon. It’s likely to all come to a head.

TVLINE | He’s a smart guy, so do you think maybe he’s known all along that something’s been going on and he’s playing along with it?
There’s certainly room for that. That’s an interesting idea. Even if he didn’t know everything, there’s absolutely room for the idea that he could have had an inkling of it. He’s been around the block a few times. He’s seen a lot of people trying to one up him. So yeah, I think you’re right. It would be crazy to think that he had no idea any of this was happening right on his doorstep.

TVLINE | What’s his reaction when all of this comes out into the open?
It’s not good. [Laughs] It’s not good for anyone who’s in his way. It’s bloody. It’s incredibly bloody. He won’t take it lying down. He won’t be like, “Oh, that’s OK. Nevermind.” He’ll feel there’s some retribution needed.

RELATED | The CW Orders a Hunger Game-y Survival Competition and Dating/Game Show Hybrid

TVLINE | Is there a part of Klaus that’s a little proud of Tyler despite the fact that he’s trying to take him down? Here’s this hybrid he created and raised, so to speak, who’s now grown up and is taking power.
That’s a really interesting question. I have not been asked that before. I think possibly, yes. I would like to think so. It’s a bold move and one that Klaus might make himself in that situation. I would like to think there is, but that doesn’t mean he’ll go any easier on Tyler when he does find out. But I like that idea very much!

TVLINE | As powerful as Klaus is, how can he possibly come out on top against Tyler and his new hybrid pack? They have the advantage in terms of numbers.
They do, but they’re pups, really. He’s been around for a thousand years. There is a tremendous amount of them, and there is only one of him, but… I really don’t want to spoil it for you because it’s so awesome. [Laughs] And I don’t use that word lightly.

TVLINE | In the meantime, he’s been spending a lot of time with Caroline. Do you believe that he truly loves her? Or is he just looking for companionship?
He’s certainly infatuated with her. I believe that he loves the chase. He’s been around for so long now, it’s fascinating for him that she doesn’t just fall into his arms. It’s a spark of interest. Let’s not forget he’s half-werewolf, so there’s something of the hunt to this, as well. But I don’t know. I think there is [the] potential that he loves her. I really don’t know how it’s going to end, so I’ll be as interested as you guys to find out. We’ve seen in Episode 7 that he does have the potential to be a nice guy for a moment and to open up to her and seemingly be considerate and compassionate. But he’s also capable of utterly terrible things. For them to work, he would need to compromise a lot of who he has been for the last thousand years, and I’m not sure he would be willing to do that. He’s pretty stubborn.

RELATED | Arrow Adds Teen Wolf Alum Colton Haynes

TVLINE | And if he finds out she’s been playing him, is that enough to turn him off her?
I don’t know. It’s possibly all part of the game and the hunt. He’s just one guy. He understands the terrible things he’s done, and why Before Sunsetsomeone might find the need to mislead him. But I feel like it’s all a bit of a game to him. His life is a game, and he plays to win. Something like that may not necessarily deter him — it may just require a counter move.

TVLINE | How will Stefan and Klaus’ partnership progress in this week’s episode?
We’re going to see them face off again. We’re going to see a tentative agreement struck up between them. As we’ve seen before, it always seems that one of them breaks whatever agreement they have or one betrays the other. There is this deep-seated friendship that goes all the way back to the ’20s. Klaus isn’t really the one who’s changed; Stefan is the one who’s become a different person and changed who he was. It’ll be interesting to see how that progresses. Klaus vents some of his feelings to Stefan in the midseason finale. And when I say “vents,” I don’t mean in an angry way. He has a really honest moment where he tells it like it is to Stefan. For anyone who likes that dynamic between the two characters, that’s a really nice moment.

1. iMember says:

I really, really hope Julie Plec and the rest of the writers don’t actually make Caroline/Klaus a real thing. Please, no, no, no. It’d just ruin Caroline’s character completely, and she’s like the best character on the show. Klaus has certainly opened up a new world for her, but nothing needs to go further than that. Klaus (as little threat as he poses now) is still an evil guy, and it wouldn’t make any sense of Caroline to be okay with all of that and fall in love with him. And if she does, then it WILL make her an actual hypocrite when it comes to telling Elena that Damon isn’t the right guy for her, that he’s bad – which Caroline has a good reason for that, but she just can’t get with Klaus.

I really just want Season 2/early Season 3 Klaus back. Otherwise, I’m just really ready to let him go, so I can see Joseph Morgan move onto newer and bigger projects.

• mac says:

Total sign !
      I loved Klaus as a bad guy but now he’s just annoying, if they could make him a ‘real’ villain again without the whole ‘Klaroline’ thing it’d be perfect. Also: I think that it’s time to bring back Elijah, the sibling rivalry those two had and both Joseph Morgans and Daniel Gillies acting in those scenes was brillaint and certainly would improve the shows overall quality

• Whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. The idea of Klaus/Caroline together makes me want to puke.

• Josh says:

Amen! I love finding not-shipping obsessed TVD fans haha

• Becky says:

I don’t agree…I don’t get why you consider Klaus evil,the bad guy.It’s true that he did a lot of terrible things,but so did all of them.They killed Kol,Finn and many more.Just because they’re the main characters doesn’t mean they’re always right.I really don’t like Elena,Jeremy and Stefan,the only one besides Klaus and Rebekah who is pretty ok is Caroline.I do believe that Klaus loves Caroline,but it’s gonna be incredibly hard for her to forgive him.Klaus isn’t bad for Caroline,actually he’ll be the only one who has ever been good for her.

2. Ella says:

I want to see a Caroline/Sefan relationship. I’d love to see how Klaus reacts to Stefan being a romantic rival for Caroline’s affection. It would bring a whole new intensity to an already volitile rivalry. Klaus is a great bad guy and the actor portrays him to perfection!

3. Michelle says:

I’m realistic enough to know that Klaus and Caroline might not be endgame, but they’re dynamic is SO fun that I do hope we get to see some more of it. I just love them together. And I love big bad Klaus too! :)

4. amanda says:

klefaroline! i want a klaus caroline and stefan thing

5. katrina says:

I love Klaroline! Their banter is the best!

6. Fabian says:

So Carol’s dead.

7. Mike says:

Pretty sure I have the episode figured out.

Tyler’s going to try something on Klaus, it won’t work, he’ll kill everyone besides Tyler and Hayley. Then kill Carol out of revenge and Plan #32,876 to Kill/Contain Klaus will be underway.

8. Rita says:

I really don’t think going back to full on evil Klaus is an intelligent move. I mean, I personally hated Klaus at the beggining and was very disappointed when he didn’t die in 2×21, but ever since the Klaroline dynamic started, he became a lot more interesting and is now my favourite character on the show. I like layered characters and Klaus is certainly not disappointing. Half of the TVD fans are not satisfied with the episodes in which he’s not in. A lot more than a half of them, whether they’re Delena/Stelena fans come
    together in being fans of Klaus&Caroline.

And Klaus is still the same person, just like we were proven in 4×01 and now in tomorrow’s episode, so I don’t agree with people saying that he’s changed and all of that. Just like Joseph said above “Klaus isn’t really the one who’s changed; Stefan is the one who’s become a different person and changed who he was.”
    That’s also another reason why I love him so much, there’s been a balance between his humanity and his ruthlessness.

Personally, I think they’re doing a great job in taking Klaus&Caroline where they are. These two are now the most interesting thing in this show and the main reason why I’m still watching, and even though they might not end up together, the scenes they share are always the best. They can give you cuteness, sexyness, intelectuallism, beauty, a sense of possibility… there’s just so much potential that they’d be stupid to end it or to kill Klaus off. To me and to many of the people who see it the same way as I do, they’d be killing the show. I hope they keep going like this, getting closer, and having internal struggles but still knowing which side they’re on, and that they take this relationship at least a little bit further, because it’s obvious that something is developping there.

And I seriously hope Klaus doesn’t die this season because along with Klaroline there’s still his family and his past (more specifically Tatia) and they can still do so much with that. Plus Elena is not the only doppelganger alive that could be turned into a human again. I’m really curious to see all of the arcs involving Klaus getting explored :)

• Josh says:

Wow there is a fan name for this disturbing “couple”…how sad.

• Tsayelle says:

hehe! Katherine…the thought crossed my mind as well. It’d be very interesting, she clearly loves being a vampire..maybe it’s fitting, as Klaus sees it, as a way to punish her for running away in 1492. But then ofcourse Elena doesn’t want to be a vampire. Does she even want the cure…lol?

I agree with what you said about Klaus and Caroline..their dynamic, chemistry and all the potential is really interesting, fun and refreshing to watch. They bring a certain kind of thrill on screen, mixed with some danger and possibilities. The problem with their pairing is that almost everyone looks at it, as they’d a normal romance. And it’s not at all like that. Klaus is hardly looking for love…or a relationship that could help vanquish his dark side forever. I feel like he’s gently trying to make her see her own potential and realize that she could have it all. And with Caroline, this makes it all the more welcome because she’s always been overlooked in Mystic Falls.
      What did she get from that town anyways? She was in a bad place as a human to begin with, her transition into a vampire was quite terrible too but Vampirism actually turned out to be a good thing for her. Who saw that coming? Now she looks after herself, tries to protect everyone and is steadfastly loyal and reliable, yet somehow always get caught in the middle. No one’s paid any attention to her.
      Also looking forward to see Rebekah again…wondering how her relationship with her brother is going to develop now. She’s the most important person in his life, I wonder if Klaus can make amends.
      And I’ve always loved Stefan as a character…he’s the only one who stills retains the original aura of his character intensity. Can’t wait to see what’s in store for him this season and his dynamic with Klaus is again, so cool. It’s like Klaus is still waiting, hanging about…”When are you going to be my friend again?” lol…the next episode should be great in this regard, as implied in this awesome interview.

9. luli says:

When the hell is Rebekah coming back? it’s been to long…

10. Josh says:

“Is Klaus really as dark as he seems” Hmm he’s a psycho path who’s ruined Elena’s life, killed her aunt, drained her of her blood, almost killed her friends countless times…Yes, I so wish he can find love.

TVD, what happened to you?

11. mandy says:

LOL all you Klaroline haters are cray. It makes Klaus even MORE dynamic because it gives him about a million different levels. Don’t tell me that it doesn’t give you chills to see him being a nice guy with her one moment and then turn around and slaughter a bunch of people the next. It’s a tv show,people. Having the good girl fall for such a bad guy is just fun, exciting writing. Get ready to puke, I guess. ;)

12. Babybop says:

Someone’s going to die in this episode… I feel like TVD kills off at least 2 characters a season. Ha ha.

13. S says:

^ you’re kidding right? saying if Klaus ever leaves/killed off that it would kill the show. I’m a fan of JM/Klaus but seriously? the main draw of tvd is the brothers and Elena. I know some say they are only watching for side characters or whatever but fact is the show will always be more focused on the main 3 like it or not

• Radha says:

The main draw of TVD is NOT Elena and that blasted triangle with Stefan and Damon. The main draw for me is the action and the OTHER relationships that get screwed over because Julie Plec thinks everyone is invested in that tired triangle.

• lauren says:

completely agree! i don’t care for the three ‘main’ characters at all now. bring me more caroline, klaus, jeremy, and matt!

14. S says:

Yes, I’d love if Rebekkah would return and she could find some happiness but just like Damon she’s not allowed any happiness.

15. MaryAnnMc says:

The sooner Klaus is gone from the show the better. Never could stand him. And if Caroline falls for him in a real way, that will just ruin the show for me. That said, it would be difficult to imagine liking the show if the dynamic shifted away from focusing on Elena and the two Salvatori brothers. What would be interesting would be to see the return of Elena’s double now that Elena is a vampire.

And on another issue, I find it very strange that none of them find the idea acceptable that Elena could love both brothers. Vampires seem to have a whole different set of rules for life and death, so why do they play by the human rules where love is concerned?

16. Carry says:

The thing is, after four years full of Elena’s triangle problems, a lot of viewers are ready for some fresh dynamics and new relationships. And that’s exactly what this little dance between Klaus and Caroline brings. Their interactions are a breath of fresh air. I’m not saying that they will get together or that they should, but I certainly enjoy watching them interact on screen.
    Also, I do not believe that showing a character’s different sides equals changing him or ruining him. Surely a man who has lived a thousand years is complex enough to be able to feel interest for things other than murder every once in a while.

17. Tee says:

I really like Klaus, though the whole “do what I want or ___ will get killed” storyline has happened about a bajillion times now that they’ve really backed him into a corner. At least his interactions with Caroline show another side to him. And anything to take some time away from the latest Elena angst and yet another waffle back and forth between the brothers.
    I don’t know if it’s the character, the actress (or maybe both), but Caroline seems to have a knack drumming up chemistry no matter who she’s bounced off of.

18. Me says:

I love that JoMo ships Klaroline!!!!! WE WANT KLAROLINE!!!

19. liliana says:

I only liked Klaus in season 2, but now i hate the Character, it’s time to move on from him, cause the plot line around him is tired too, like the main love triangle! Since season 2 his plan is to make more hybrids, plan in season 4 is the same what?? where is the creativity of this show!!?? TVD needs other villain, better than this one! And Klaroline is boring and stupid and Klaus don’t deserve love after what he did in Mystic Falls, with almost all of characters! He don’t deserve redemption! The storylines around become so stupid that he talks about birds with Caroline! OMG this is dumb and pathetic! Its obvious thi klaroline is fan service and Julie plec is an awful writer and show runner i wish kevin came back and make tvd that shoiw i fall in love again!

20. liliana says:

I fell not fall! Sorry!

21. Breck says:

The only way Klaus gains redemption is if he uses the cure on himself (I wonder though if the shows mythology would make it so if the original becomes human, all those in the bloodline become human…..but of course the show is called “Vampire” Diaries, haha, so you have to have vampires)

22. Mikael says:

If I ship anyone, it’s “Klefan” hehehe

23. lizette says:

I think caroline&klaus is prefect they should end up together.come on if ya look at other TV shows and movies their always a bad guy that falls in love with a good girl. I always think tyler ane caroline was jut a high school thing.& the truth tyler is getting obeccess in killing klaus he should of just let go and run away with caroline lie they plan too & i think thats one of the reason why think his going to push caroline away from him & into klaus arms .so i do hope klaus & caroline happen, so forget abt tyler &caroline. Here are my couple list klaus/caroline elena/damon

24. shae says:

I like seeing the soft side of Klaus, I love the character. What Id like to see the writers actually do is have a new character (human) come in to entertain Klaus, so we can see that it makes Caroline jealous and have her deal with those issues. I love the cat and mouse chase between Klaus and Caroline but if they ever came together I think it would prove boring. It would take Klaus’ character to have to become somewhat nice and he so good at being bad.

25. Jenny says:

I love Klaroline!!!

26. nightmagic says:

Caroline has the nerve to call Damon who tried to save her from Klaus a certain word which i wont repeat and yet she has feelings or something from the one person who would have sacrificed her for his selfish reasons to become a hybrid !!!!! no klaroline as much as i think they do have chemistry is a couple i cant accept .klaus has not shown one ounce of redemption !!! everything he does he does for himself !!!! if he could he would make elena human just to bleed her dry again!

27. Samantha says:

Please let Caroline and klaus be together!!!! There so beautiful together(: that is what I would love to see happen! And klaus becoming good in a way <3

28. CCarolinee says:

Klaroline :) <3!

29. rai says:

I really want klaus n caroline together. He s good to her. He s been lonely and so deserves some love cause nobody really loved him.besides she makes him a better vampire. Ah they are so cute together.

30. tegan says:

I rekon that shane guy the sus professor is klauses real dad , bit random i kno and klaus n elena would b random and hilirious but klaus and caroliine would b cute as

31. CamSalvatore says:

Team Klaroline and Team Stelena all the way I luved Damon and Katherine together!!!!!

32. christna says:

Please Writers make Caroline and Klaus a couple!!!

Klaus and Caroline’s chemistry is off the wall!!!!!

33. Jade says:

Number one: I disagree with everyone who dislikes klaroline I think they are gr8 together and are like the most interesting couple (pair) on this season!!!
    Number two:JULIE PLEC GET A STORYLINE WITH KLAROLINE GETTING VERY CLOSE
    Number three: you ppl who r hating klaroline…..SHAME ON YOU!!!!

34. Emma says:

Why does the cure have to be for only one person?

35. tai says:

I like the klaroline thing… the stelena thing is getting old and the delena thing is getting sad as im seeing he really wont end up with her

36. melia says:

I dunno I think caroline and klaus would be a really awesome couple but I agree that they could become boring if they did end up together so the writers have to figure out a way to keep their realationship interesting, also another thing a really hope caroline realises that mystic falls is just “keeping her back” and she joins the new tv show “the originals” so klaus and her realationship can really kick off. Alas! We shall see how every thing turn out, hopefully the julie plec wount dissapoint us!

37. I love to share knowledge that will I have accrued through
    the year to assist improve team functionality.

38. What’s up to every one, the contents existing at this web page are really awesome for people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.