SAG Award Nominations: Homeland, Downton Abbey and Modern Family Lead the Pack; Sons of Anarchy, Political Animals Sneak In

Get More: Awards

Episode 711Nominations for the 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were announced on Wednesday morning, and Modern Family led the comedy pack with four nods, while Homeland and Downton Abbey dominated the drama side with three total nods each. (The eligibility period was the 2012 calendar year.)

The SAG Awards will be broadcast Jan. 27 on TNT/TBS. Check out this list of TV nominees, then share your raves and rants, the Comments! Coming Thursday morning: the Golden Globe nominations.

DRAMA ENSEMBLE

Julianne Moore,  Game Change
Charlotte Rampling, Restless
Sigourney Weaver, Political Animals
Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias

Tags:

Comments (140)

• Does everyone commenting here realise that the SAG awards are for acting and not the show? It doesn’t matter about the quality of the show, it’s the cast that’s being recognised here. No matter what you think of Glee, there’s no denying that the cast are incredibly talented. And the writing may have suffered in recent years on The Office (although personally I think the new season is a return to form) but there’s not one weak link among the cast and their chemistry as an ensemble is terrific.

Comment by Jessie – December 12, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly DO NOT understand how Glee is nominated for Comedy Ensemble. I love Glee, but it’s NOT a comedy, and doesn’t deserve the nomination. Community deserves some recognition, and not getting these noms is going to hurt the fate of this show. Seriously disappointed.

Comment by Brianna – December 12, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first year that The Good Wife was not nominated for best drama ensemble. The growing emphasis of giving the guest stars all of the screen time is very obvious here. Every year TGW becomes more of the guest star of the week and less about the core characters. What a sad way to treat the best cast on television.

Comment by Dee – December 12, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. So in one award show, American Horror Story is a mini-series, in this one it’s a normal series. Make your minds up!

Comment by Kaycee – December 12, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally absurd that John Noble is still not being recognised. Proof that it is not the work you do that counts, just how hip is the show you are attached to.

Comment by Matt – December 12, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No “tv movie or miniseries ensemble” category? I’m glad to see Sigourney Weaver nominated for Political Animals; she was great.

Comment by arial2 – December 12, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I understand this right SAG is the actors themselves voting correct? So obviously none of them WATCH any TV. They go strictly by buzz. Doesn’t even matter if the buzz is bad…it causes them to remember the show for something….

Comment by Renee – December 12, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many excellent shows snubbed: Person of Interest, Parenthood, Call the Midwife,The middle…I could go on….wo makes these lame decisions? They obviously only watch a few shows.

Comment by Georgia – December 12, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omissions and bad choices abound. :(
    But really, no Parks and Rec = your opinion is invalid.

Comment by Rachel – December 12, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m annoyed, I only got about 60% of the nominees right. I did pretty good on guessing the drama nominees, but like usual, biffed the comedy ones. I’m starting to think what I find funny most people do not find funny. As usual, I underestimated everyone’s love for Downton Abbey. I think Michelle Dockery getting a nomination over Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss is bullcrap. That whole Downton cast overacts. I had some pretty unrealistic hopes they would come to their senses and recognize the Justified cast and Timothy Olyphant. They did not. They didn’t even give them a stunt nomination! I also had unrealistic hopes for Mandy Patinkin. I couldn’t let myself have hope for Community. I couldn’t go through that masochistic pain of seeing them get ignored again! The one thing I cling to here is that Homeland ought to sweep the drama awards for wins. I don’t expect anyone will beat them. Maaaaybe Bryan Cranston, but I kinda doubt it.
    I’m shocked by the Girls, Lena Dunham, and Julia-Louis Dreyfus snubs. I was under the impression Julia was quite popular among her peers in addition to everyone thinking she was super funny, so that took me by surprise. She had 8/5 odds on Gold Derby! She should have been nominated and won! Louis C.K. getting the nomination over Jon Cryer did make my day though. And then it was ruined just as fast seeing Glee get nominated. I think they are getting extra points here because they sing and dance, but I don’t think that deserves a nomination. The entire cast overacts. The one other big shock here…no Benedict Cumberbatch. What the h*ll happened to the SAG voters? Did they forget he existed?
    Tomorrow’s Golden Globes ought to be interesting. They have their own taste, so there are always some weird, unexpected ones in there. I don’t expect to do well on guessing those. I am curious to see if Walking Dead can pull off any nominations since it’s been so popular lately.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 12, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously 2 broke girls should be recognised. Damn hilarious.

Comment by D. – December 12, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, 2 Broke Girls is a funny show. CBS should be proud of it’s success.

Comment by Zandra – December 12, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Sherlock!? are you fricking kidding me!?

Comment by Em J – December 12, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As in Sherlock actors! I mean COME ON! They got a Emmy nom! (yes they didn’t win but still!)

Comment by Em J – December 12, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Sherlock not get anywhere near enough love?

Comment by Gilda – December 12, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. None of the awards shows ever get it right these days. So many deserving shows, snubbed! AlthoUgh my parents are raving about Homeland and AHS is quite good, but yet they snub my favorite actor, Zach Quinto. Ugh. And clearly they didn’t see the two-hour SVU premiere, because that was some quality television right there. And really, no Parks & Rec, no Community, no Fringe (I SWEAR IF SOMEONE DOESN’T GIVE JOHN NOBLE AT LEAST A NOMINATION I’M GOOD TO SCREAM.)and no SVU?!

And you pick Glee over all that?! GLEE?! I used to live and breathe by that show, but it took a major nose-dive after the first season. I watched Season 2 and it had its bright spots, and I watched parts of Season 3 (and I really liked the twist in the season finale), but it’s never been as good as Season 1. It’s become about stunt casting and gimmicks. It’s a shell of its former self, and I don’t torture myself with it anymore.

Comment by Zoe – December 12, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Even the guilds are in the business of giving award nominations for having huge breasts, Sofia Vergara is an absolutely dreadful actress with one defining trait that has kept her relevant. The fact that they nominated Sofia over Julie is a complete joke.

Comment by Terry – December 12, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • for those who say modern family does not deserve an award – you probably dont watch it or maybe just dont understand what you are watching. i mean seriously, the cast of modern family are such good actors, if not, they just work together so well, they are so believable as a family. n that deserves an ensemble cast award !

Comment by joan – December 12, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i watch it, i enjoy it a lot but i know its no where near the quality of some shows out there. its a middle of the road comedy thats good for some laughs but in comparison to the likes of community, parks and rec or louie its nothing

Comment by Alan – December 13, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damian lewis n claire danes forrrrr the win!

Comment by riley – December 12, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood????

Comment by Forwarddad – December 12, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where the hell is Hugh Laurie?

Comment by Juan Ignacio Aguilar – December 12, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do shows like glee and the office still get nominated for anything?

Comment by Anna – December 12, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Glee cast deserves an award for their outstanding performances. They work three times as hard as any other actor on television and have carried this show, despite writing. The actors deserve recognition. Every one of them is outstanding and have invested many fans in their stories.

Comment by LH – January 23, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fyi, I normally don’t post about software apps on a blog, but, in this case I feel compelled. The programm even sounds funky, Zeebox. What’s cool is it is for folks watching a show at the same time can moan, groan, woot woot, debate in real time. I first tried it during Golden Globes and really like it. It trends mostly for award shows. So seeing all these comments thought I’d toss it in. SAGs are Sunday 27th @ 8pm. Tbs/TNT. That’s all

Comment by imjstkel – January 26, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay! Why is The Middle not nominated for ANY awards in any award show??????
    It is one of the best written shows, and has a great cast. The actress that plays Sue is terific as is the boy who plays Brick. Someone is either incompetent or has it
    “out” for this show.
    Who ever does the nominating must have there heads in the sand or up their ….s

Comment by Mary Morris – January 26, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post