X-citing Casting News: Gillian Anderson Joins NBC's Hannibal as [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News

gillian anderson blogSpecial Agent Dana Scully is back on duty.

The X-FilesGillian Anderson has joined the cast of NBC’s Hannibal, EW.com reports.

RELATED | Exclusive: Hannibal Serves Up Anna Chlumsky

In a three-episode arc, Anderson will play the personal therapist of the titular Dr. Lecter (played by Mads Mikkelsen).

The upcoming drama, a contemporary take on the characters from Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon novel, is written and executive-produced by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies). It focuses on the fledgling relationship between FBI agent Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Lecter, his mentor.

RELATEDHannibal Exclusive: Gina Torres Is Jack’s Wife!

In the decade since X-Files wrapped, the actress has stayed away from American broadcast television, choosing instead to focus on projects like Encore’s Moby Dick and the British TV series The Fall.

What do you think about Anderson’s return? Hit the comments!

Comments (22)

• Just convinced me to tune in!

Comment by Gilda – December 12, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch her episodes for sure!

Comment by Michelle – December 12, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t at all interested in this but the cast is shaping up to be amazing

Comment by Jim – December 12, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever although I hope Hannibal’s personal therapist doesn’t end up being the main course.

Comment by JAA – December 12, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show keeps getting better and better. Now can we just get it to move to a real station like FX or Showtime?

Comment by Midori004 – December 12, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what NBC is going for! They’re trying to compete with your “real” stations and the way this show is shaping up I’d say they are succeeding.

Comment by Gem – December 12, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anderson actually auditioned for the role of Clarice Starling when Jodie Foster decided not to reprise the role in the film Hannibal. But her X-Files contract forbade her from playing another FBI agent. Guess she was waiting until she could star opposite a Hannibal…

Comment by Remer – December 12, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read that in developing the X-Files, the producers or Fox basically wanted Jody Foster’s character, their own Clarice Starling and Gillian was it.

Comment by David – December 13, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m in now!

Comment by stevie – December 12, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news ever. I wasn’t going to watch it (maybe for Anna Chlumsky), but now with Gillian in it I won’t miss an episode! Wise choice!

Comment by Leonie Henckell (@LeonieJH) – December 12, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SCULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by CK – December 12, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever! She needs to come back full time!

Comment by Sasha – December 12, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw a screener of the pilot and it was terrible. If I had been home, I would have turned it off.

Comment by mspenn1013 – December 12, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Terrible how? Badly written? The acting? Spill!

Comment by Sheila – December 12, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously who is not in this show?! Can’t wait!

Comment by Bitch Stole My Remote – December 12, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve missed her on my screen!

Comment by Annika – December 12, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER! I will totally tune in to watch her. *-*

Comment by Nina – December 13, 2012 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, I will definitly watch this show, I mean… Is Gillian perfection Anderson!

Comment by Ruana Melo – December 13, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With Anderson… With definitely be tuning in!

Comment by Holly Pelella – February 16, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post