Grey's Anatomy Sneak Peeks: Derek's Sis Rips Into Mer, Owen Drops the D-Bomb on Cristina

This Thursday on the Grey’s Anatomy fall finale, as Bailey is happily-slash-nervously heading for a wedding, other characters find their ties being put to the test.

VIDEO | Grey’s Boss Shonda Rhimes Breaks Silence on Katherine Heigl Kerfuffle: ‘It Stung’

Meredith, for one — as seen in the first clip below — tries to play the “family” card with newly arrived sister-in-law Lizzie (Neve Campbell), only to have that approach struck down fast, thoroughly and hard. (Damn, it’s as bad as when Julia fought with Bailey over the spare bedroom!)

RELATED | Grey’s Casts Ringer‘s Justin Bruening Cast as [Spoiler] – Whose Heart Will He Send Racing?

Speaking of fast, Cristina apparently doesn’t remember agreeing with Owen to move forward quickly on their divorce proceedings, based on her reaction to a piece of news he drops in the second clip. Is there any chance that cooler heads and warm hearts will prevail for this estranged duo?

Loading video...
Loading video...

1. lalala says:

Neve is awesome!

2. xav says:

I wish they’d just separate Owen and Cristina and let her move on to someone else. I’m super excited for more of Derek’s sibs though.

3. Tia says:

Liz should have that talk with Derek, he’s her brother and the one who shut them out of his life. Excited to see how this will play out.

If only they will be done with Cristina and Owen once and for all, they bring the worst in each other plus they both want different things.

• Liz says:

You’re totally right. HE is her brother, HE should call them more often etc… But as always, they blame Meredith…

• Mellie says:

never ceases to amaze me.

• Trenton says:

It goes along w/ how she is bad at family stuff…being that hers was broken. I mean how long did her and Baby Gray take to bond? This is a theme w/ her…so having them blame her allows to keep exploring that and maybe just maybe healing…plus its about having a sister in the face of just losing her biological one. Smart storyline decision i think ;p Sidenote: Is there any non beautiful person in the Shepherd family aside from being all Doctors…goes against god giving w/ both hands to the nth degree ;p

• Sam says:

I think it’s mainly on Derek. Meredith takes her cue from him in regards to his family. I’m interested in why he distances himself from all of them so much. Meredith is pretty clueless about family and the family she has met hasn’t been the most welcoming. I am looking forward to seeing the Liz/Derek/Meredith dynamic.

• Jenn W says:

Agreed but Mer is the one who called them for a favor so it does seem to beg the question of if she can reach out for this, why can’t she try in other areas too. It’s definitely on both Derek and Mer to be more involved in family, but she brought his sisters into this.

4. Aidan says:

Neve is withou flaw, as usual

5. EveatEden says:

Hell yeah, tell her Lizzy!

6. Can"t you see? says:

Does anyone else see that Owen only wants a divorce so that Christina etc. will be able to have their day (and payout) in court? I mean, if they aren’t married then the hospital can’t use him as a shield anymore in hopes that the court will through out the case due to the fact that he is married to one of the people suing.
    If he divorces her, they are free to sue away, get the money, get married again and live happily every after…or whatever you would call their version of it.

• Alichat says:

I see that as well……that’s what we were lead to believe when he stormed out of the meeting with the hospital lawyers. I imagine Cristina may figure that out….or ask him that….around the time of the trial. At least I hope that’s what happens.

• YES!! says:

Thank you! I called that second the board was standing behind him, before Richard helped him figure it out. You could see in his face that it was killing him to tell Christina that he wanted the divorce, but I completely get the whole point of it.

• Jenn says:

100% agree!! He clearly still loved her when she was in MN and she clearly still loves him too. They just don’t know how to come back to each other after all that’s happened. Maybe if they get divorced and the lawsuit is over, they can start fresh?
      But I totally agree that knowing the hospital lawyers want to use their marriage against Cristina and the rest of the crash victims is what made him want a divorce. He’s too noble and you could see the disgust on his face when he figured it out.

7. Sam says:

Neve is so great.

And to be fair shouldn’t Derek get some blame here too? I mean he is HER brother after all. It’s like he hates having to deal with any of his family.

8. Jessica says:

Liz should be talking about this to Derek her brother, not blaming Meredith about this. He’s the one who should’ve inviting them to their wedding and when they got Zola. Meredith doesn’t know them from all we know. For some reason Derek wants them out of his life, and if they’re like Nancy and Amelia and sided with Addison after everything he has a good reason to. Hope this will get solved in this episode.

• Mellie says:

I agree. Derek’s sisters. Derek’s job to contact them. Meredith doesn’t even know them. They never came for Derek being shot or anything. Why is it Meredith’s, who is a stranger to them, job to deal with them? Liz should have been having her bitch face lecture to her BROTHER.

9. julie says:

Neve is a b****. Okay yes meredith should have invited them over and all that, but Derek didn’t make an effort either. and playing the “sister” card, Meredith’s sister died. So no you are NOT her sister, and I don’t think she’s very interested in playing sisters with you at the moment.

10. Trista says:

ummm – Lizzie does know that Meredith just lost her blood sister in a plane crash – right?

• JJ says:

maybe she doesn’t. From the sounds of things the Shepherd family don’t talk a lot

• henninggirl says:

Unfortunately that gaff is on Meredith and Derek as well. How could you not know your SIL’s sister had died? I think Lizzie’s issue is absolutely with Derek. But Meredith is an adult as well, and she and Derek got “married” well before Lexie ever died. By not attempting any communication with this half of the family then demanding body parts and trying to use the “family card”, then telling Lizzie not to tell Derek Meredith called her in the first place, Meredith opened herself up for this. Again, Derek is at least equally, if not more so, to blame in never responding to his sisters’ invitations to visit, but Meredith is an adult and clearly knows they both never made any attempt to include these members of their family, going by the look on her face.

11. soxfan says:

It ain’t over with between Owen & Cristina folks …. he is only pushing for this divorce because of the lawsuit. It is very obvious that they are even more in love with each other since the plane crash & Cristina returning from Minneapolis. Cristina is acting passively towards Owen but then says things to Meredith behind Owen’s back when she should be speaking directly to him. He keeps asking her her opinion & she backs away & becomes agreeable. That is on Cristina, not Owen. If one wants someone else to know something, one needs to open one’s mouth & speak to that person. In my opinion, their entire storyline has been the most true to life storyline than any I have seen in the 9 years I have watched this show.

12. Ed says:

Love Neve! It’d be great if she was brought on full time. Maybe they can get rid of April??? LOL Sorry but ever since her whole “eye opening experience with God” last season she really is getting on my last nerve. Is Lizzy even a doctor?

13. thereasonsy says:

Can we just forget this Amish foolishness and make Neve stay on Greys? Thanks.

14. extraneous_ed says:

Considering Shonda has said flat out that Owen and Christina will find their way back to each other by the end of the season, I think there is a pretty good chance that cooler heads prevail.

15. Mike says:

Lizzie is awesome, just from a few short clips, she may be my favorite sister shepard, and I’d love if they was a big shepard get together before the series ends.

16. Squirrel Tail says:

Maybe I’m blanking on a character and storyline from Grey’s, but who is Julia (referenced in the article about the fight with Bailey over a spare bedroom)?

17. Lydia says:

Wow. Liz is a real bitch. No wonder Derek doesn’t want to hang out with her.

• Francesca says:

Liz is super bitchy. Makes you partly realize why Derek avoids his sisters. Aside from that, Derek’s sisters, Derek’s responsibility to include them. He never introduced Mer to them at all. Why in the world would she out of the blue start calling them, especially after the way Nancy treated her? So far, Derek’s sisters have appeared to be witchy over bearing beyotches. Why would Meredith even want to be involved in their drama? Liz should’ve gone to Derek instead of unleashing on Meredith. That was nasty and uncalled for. Meredith isn’t begging them for money. She wants to fix her husband’s hand. Shut up Liz.

• Mellie says:

I think so too. Goes to show why Derek never calls them. They are wolves just like Heather said. Meredith was raised by a wolf, Ellis Grey. Why would she open herself up to bitchy from his sisters? I’d not have them in my life either.

18. Lori says:

All the Shepard kids are doctors hasn’t been reveled what kind of doctor Lizzy is. I think she should be after Derrick about visiting since he is the blood relative; how much his siblings know about Meredith is questionable but Meredith is still learning how to be part of a family she only had about four years with Lexie and for the most part Meredith didn’t treat her any different then her other friends living in the house.

19. Fernanda says:

I loved Neve since Party of Five. I want a show for her or a TV Reunion with the Salingers. BTW Patrick Dempsey was in Scream 3 too.

• Shannon says:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! And him and Neve play love interests in that! No sign of him in S4 so I guess it didn’t work out between him and Sydney.

20. A says:

To be honest its not entirely Meredith’s fault. Although Lizzie does have a point (and I’m gonna really enjoy Neve in this role). Mer has changed so much over these years, its really surprising that she still has some sort of guard up about meeting Derek’s family (and this is aside from the fact of Lexie’s death). This anger, however, should not be directed at her, it should be directed at Derek. I know Derek’s history with his sisters is tough but from what we’ve seen he’s been a real ass to them some times. And he’s been with Mer how long now and he has never invited them to meet her or Zola, or called them when he survived a plane crash, or even after he got shot. I mean Nancy and Amelia and his Mom just met Mer in passing, so casual. There was no “I want you to meet my family”. He needs to get over himself. Let baby Zola have some cousins. So although Liz’s remark is completely valid, it’s misdirected. And to be honest, I doubt she even knew that Mer’s sister dies since Mer’s not really a talker to anyone other than Derek and Cristina

• Francesca says:

AMEN! As usual, nothing is Derek’s fault, it’s always Meredith taking the heat. The fact Liz isn’t addressing him instead of bitching at Meredith gives us insight on why Derek never accepts any responsibility for anything. His sisters must have never made him. It’s always someone else. I am not liking Liz already. She’s not as bad as Nancy but not very welcoming or nice. Hope she doesn’t stick around. Meredith doesn’t need her around for sure. Lexie was a good sister & even after all the crap Derek did to Meredith she never treated Derek like crap as Liz is doing to Meredith.

21. Lc says:

Ok. I love Neve in this role… The way she told off Meredith was priceless and ALL true. Then again,… we did not know there was another Lizzie in the mix LOLLL too bad private practice is over cause her and Amelia would be a force to be reckonned with !

• Julie says:

Actually Amelia liked Meredith and was pretty nice to her. Derek’s mom LOVED Meredith and it sounds as if Lizzy is also wanting the door to be open to Meredith being a “Shepherd sister” in this scene, so I’m looking forward to seeing Lizzy as well as Amelia more on Grey’s Anatomy in the future. It would be nice to see the character Derek interact with them more and now that Meredith has lost Lexie, boning with her sisters on her husband’s side would be a great SL for the show especially in the wake of Meredith expecting and Derek becoming a new father again. The Shepherd sisters will be Aunties again!

22. Closet Fan says:

So many negative Owen and Christina comments. What some people might want to keep in mind as well: not only is Owen asking for this divorce because he DOES love Christina, but that they basically said on the show the only reason the board didn’t fire him is because he and Christina were married. So in his attempt to help Christina (and the others) get the money they are due, Owen could lose his wife AND his job. He’s risking everything for Christina and he has to pretend he doesn’t love her anymore.

23. Meghan says:

I also agree that Meredith should not be getting all of this blame. I know she hasn’t reached out to Derek’s sisters before, but can you blame her? Lizzy made it sound like Meredith has been making excuses about being “busy”- is this seriously the word that Lizzy will use for Derek getting SHOT? And has Lizzy even considered the fact that Derek’s hand needs fixing because they were in a plane crash? Meredith and Derek have been through alot, including the death of Meredith’s own sister. Meredith seems pretty guarded about what happened to Lexie, maybe she doesn’t want to set herself up for anything like that again? And I can’t blame her for distancing herself from Derek’s family- she was never very close to her own family, so she’s hasn’t fully experienced a close family bond that Lizzy obviously expects from her.

24. J says:

I see a bit of old Addison in Neve and I like it!

25. Rod says:

Pleeeeease, for the love of Mary let Owen be fired and get away from Seattle once and forever. There is no possible away of redeeming the character that is what this lawsuit story arc was invented for. That marriage is not credible anymore.