Gossip Girl Recap: How the Mighty Have Fallen

RevengersIf you have yet to watch Monday’s episode of Gossip Girl, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed…

The Grim Reaper struck on Monday night’s penultimate episode of The CW’s Gossip Girl. As Chuck and his father fought it out on the rooftop, Bart took a swing that sent him flying over the building’s ledge.

PHOTOS | Gossip Girl Series Finale First Look: Weddings, Comebacks and Scheming — Oh My

But first, let’s rewind: Bart comes up with a scheme to exile his son to Moscow. Chuck agrees to leave on the plane in exchange for Blair’s safety. It’s all really a ruse to get rid of Chuck — for good. Blair is grief-stricken as she watches a newscast about a missing Bass plane, but Bart shows no signs of concern as he returns to his party. He’s being feted as New York Real Estate’s 2012 Man of the Year, and Dan – who’s gotten chummy with the dastardly business magnate so he can get a co-op recommendation for the apartment he’s eying – is set to introduce him. But just when it looks like Humphrey has crossed over to the dark side, he presents his “personal inspiration”… Chuck! (How did Chuck escape the plane crash? Did he never get on it? And when did he and Dan team up? How did Humphrey even know he was there? So many unanswered questions…)

After outing his father as a killer in front of all the party guests, Chuck is escorted by security to the rooftop, where the two Bass men have it out. Fists begin to fly and pretty soon Bart is hanging on to the ledge for dear life. Grasping to hold on, he begs his son to give him a hand and save him, telling him he could never really hurt him. But after Bart tried to take Chuck’s life and threatened Blair, the younger Bass doesn’t believe him. It’s all lies, he replies, as Bart loses his grip and plummets to his death.

Was Chuck right not to save his evil pops? Or should he have tried to be a better man, rescued him and let the law do its job? And will Blair, who saw it all go down, look at her fella differently now? (It doesn’t seem like it, judging from the promos for next week’s wedding-filled series finale.)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Scandal, Supernatural, Once, Glee, Gossip Girl, NCIS, Dead and More!

Meanwhile, the episode set up a couple other storylines for next Monday’s big finish:Revengers

Tired of living in her own shadow, Serena is on her way to Los Angeles. Blair begs her to stay and share the spotlight with her, but S is determined to start over. For once, she doesn’t even fall prey to the boy as Dan tries to win her back, proclaiming he’s always loved her. When that doesn’t work, he slips an envelope (with the lovey-dovey Serena chapter?) into her suitcase.

Bart has Nate arrested for fraud, which prompts Sage to call in his dad for help — but her brightest idea may be revisiting his research on Gossip Girl’s identity.

Sage, Ivy, Georgina and Serena, as Blair’s “bitches,” team up to bring down Bart, and it was kind of fun. Also, we fully support Georgina starting a professional scheming business.

Nate: “I don’t know how Claire Danes does this! Spying hurts my brain!”

Gossip Girl fans, what did you think of the second to last episode ever? Did Chuck do the right thing? And should Serena forgive Dan?

1. Kris Bennett (@krys723) says:

I don’t know, I was anxious about last night’s episode, maybe I’m just a sucker for this show because I read every book that Cecily von Ziegesar wrote! Anyhoo, I have nothing negative to stay and I’ll be sad to see it all end next week and if you don’t like that, then tough. Unlike everybody on this page, there is an actual fan in this comment feed

2. Brandy says:

I have to agree about the music at the last scene,that & Blair’s dream were bad.Reserecting Bart,then his fuel with Chuck and oil secret sl was awful,I liked last nights episode.This season and season three are IMO the worst and my least favorite but I do like the Blair running WD sl.I hoped they would resolve the Lily/Ivy feud before the finale but ..Chuck being aressted at his and Blair’s wedding will ruin that moment for Chair fans who’ve waited and wanted that so long.Im still a fan and will miss it.I think 6.1,6.5,6.8,6.9 have been good episodes while 6.6,6.7 were ok and the rest were bad.Hopefully the finales amazing.Cant wait to see who GG is,how it all ends,.

3. Star says:

Why are you so sure there is no Serenate endgame? Also, are both weddings going to actually happen?

4. ice says:

If most people here dislike Gossip Girl that bad, then why even bother to read and post to this recap, or even watch the episode? Seems a little bit like a waste of time…

• tripoli says:

Because people still have opinions about the show based on having watched it for years. For many fans who watched from the start, its been down right maddening to watch the show spiral into such a terrible state. Those people have just as much of a right to express their opinions as those who still think this lame show is good. And again, people who’ve watched for years also want to see how it ends. Seems perfectly rational to at least tune in to see how things are wrapped up even if they haven’t been watching consistently for some time.

5. em says:

Personally, it does bother me that Chuck didn’t save his his father because Bart is still human and in my book, it’s pretty much equivalent to murder. But in the Gossip Girl and Chair world, I know it’s supposed to read off as justice and triumph of some sort. However, if the writers are trying to complete Chuck’s redemption arc, they’re doing a bad job at it as they’re basically saying you have to kill the person at the root of all your problems to have your happily ever after. I’d rather have Chuck take the high road and have Bart locked up (And if he doesn’t have a moral compass, at least he can watch Bart suffer. I think Bart would rather dramatically die off a rooftop at his own party than waste away without any power or money. Don’t give him that satisfaction). And also, good for Serena. I know she’ll get back with Dan eventually, but it’s nice to see her grow some backbone. He can’t expect her to take him back just like that after all the times he’s shot her down.

• Kara says:

If you listened to Chuck he is over his father issues because he wanted his approval before but now never wants to be like him and said that last night…but many fans fail to watch or listen to the show then bitch for no reason

• kate says:

this post is ridiculous. not saving someone is not the equivalent of killing them. there is no law that says you’re required to be a good samaritan. bart fell off the roof. chuck didn’t push him.

6. thiagofls says:

Bart’s death scene summed up everything that turned Gossip Girl into a horrible mess over the past few years. Back when I watched the delightful first two seasons, I could never imagine this would become one of those shows were people plot murders or fake their own deaths, or that all characters would backstab each other in almost every possible combination.

Even the music, which up to that point was the only thing about the show that didn’t take a quality nosedive, was hilariously bad in that scene. Well, just one episode left for me to hate-watch. I guess all of the couples will get their happy ending and forget about all of the horrible things they did.

7. shar says:

been a pretty inconsistent final season, but this episode was better so I’m hoping the finale works out. Dan and Serena should end up together, but should be set decades later after much maturity!

8. April says:

Oh, goody. Now Chuck and his never ending list of daddy issues can live on for all eternity.

9. Bill says:

So he did it , he killed his own father .And Blair standing there like a non moving entity , she was so pathetic .And they end up running away like bandit or something ughhh !!!
    He’s a killer and so is Blair , they should’ve helped him and then call to police to tie him up .
    Prison for both of them !

Glad this madness is ending ,S6 is absolute crap the worst scripted show on TV this season .We went through all the season with the same annoying storyline and the same so called “core characters “. How could Serena trusted Dan again , Last season he was madly in love with Blair and he was a dick to her and she thinks that he will ever forget about B , he wrote a book on her ? Derena is just a big joke .
    Don’t even let me start on Blair ,I despise her so much. How could she hates Dan so much while a months ago she was dating him ? this girl is nonsense .
    The pact storyline is just ridiculous , another -lame- reason to put CB apart .
    GG sucks, I really wanted to enjoy this last season but it gets crappier each week !
    I hope we won’t be deceived next week .

PS: Serena please stay in LA no one needs you in the UES

10. Megan says:

I was really dissappointed with this last episode. I didn’t like the beginning of S6 but I actually liked 6×05 and I thought the show was going to go uphill for the rest of the season- but nope. I really hope Serena and Dan end up together, because they’ve been on and off throughout the entire show and are really central to the show. Since my favorite seasons were 1,2 and 3, I was really looking forward to Gossip Girl coming “full circle”. I liked the S1/2 references with Dan and Serena (the elevator, the pool hall etc…) and I really hope they find a way to have closure in the final episode. I also can’t wait to find out who is GG, but I really hope it makes sense! I mean even though the current GG website is all black and sleek and nice, in season 1×01, it was pink and had a girl and shopping bags, so I honestly think that GG can’t be a guy. I hope the writers don’t over look this! I also really hope that Dan isn’t GG, because then S and D won’t end up together. I hope the pictures of them getting married are true! I also am glad that there will be a “flash forward” and I hope Gossip Girl ends on a high for all us devoted fans :)

11. Anya says:

So…when did Gossip Girl turn into Looney Tunes? Final scene music, I’m lookin’ at you.

12. Nate says:

Honestly you guys need to stop reading so much into the show and just watch it for what it is!! All the actors/actresses play there parts fine! Get over it and enjoy the damn show for once!!

• Kara says:

It’s mostly Dair trolls who didn’t get their crappy couple that made the show go down hill. Biggest bunch of haters I’ve ever seen

13. donna says:

Well I am not happy about Chuck’s SL being all about defeating his father in final season. I waited for more and some goodness in Bart for everything but they have chosen to make him pure evil. Wish Chuck would have proven himself by building his future with Blair and that showing Bart is not even worthy of fighting or that he doesnt need his approval anymore because he is not a man to look for. And they made Bart such a villian, i hated that. Then again I am happy if Chuck&Blair are getting their happy ending. Blair became successful, she has a peace with her dark side and she is gonna marry the man she always loved and who always loved everything of her. Chuck will have a family of his own that he craved since the beginning but never thought he is worthy of anything and happiness with the woman he ever loved. Such a great ending. Happiness is on the menu <3

14. donna says:

Ed and Leighton and Robert rocks btw. I could only handle Bart being this evil because Robert made him amazing and his acting with Ed and Leighton was top notch. Thats why I enjoyed. Dan and Chuck are always amazing also. Always loved their interactions. Wish they wouldnt do that stupid nonsense of dair in S5. Unlike dair duck makes amazing friendship. It was a great duck twist there in this episode, I loved it. I loved all chair scenes ofc but yeah my favorite scene is when Chuck swagged in Bart’s event and outsmarted him and Dan introduced him and Blair’s faces were amazing (her sadness and then her relief) <3

15. Jeannette says:

Logic fallacies aside, I thought this episode was a lot of fun, which is more than I can say for most GG episodes in the last two seasons.

And Blair watched Bart fall, too, without making any effort to help him – so I think they’re both in the same boat there.

I’m just excited to watch Chuck and Blair get married! And hoping against hope that Serena won’t change her mind and take Dan back. Too little, too late, bb.

16. emilie says:

I watch this season because it’s Gossip Girl people, so you should to. Don’t give up on something you once loved, something that you once was adicted to. I mean it’s still GG and if it was your favorite show once upon a time you should not even think about not watching. Us real fans love every single thing about this show, the good and the bad, just saying. it’s just my opinion so you don’t have to agree but atleast think about because it’s still Gossip Girl, the show that changed TV forever.

17. Monica says:

Blake drove me nuts in this show. She can’t act, slept with everyone but her own father and was a complete mess. Upper east side had no class.