AFI's 2012 Top 10 List Includes Girls, Homeland and Horror Story — Which Shows Got Snubbed?

blog_AHS_walking_dead_girlsThe American Film Institute has released its annual top 10 TV list, which includes one rookie (HBO’s Girls), one TV movie (HBO’s Game Change) and one horror anthology (American Horror Story: Asylum).

RELATEDHomelandLouieGame of ThronesCheers (?) Win Big at 2012 TCA Awards

Repeat honorees include Breaking Bad, Homeland and The Walking Dead  — which first appeared on the list in 2009 but was absent last year.

The shows were chosen by critics, film and television artists, critics, scholars and AFI Trustees. The organization will celebrate this year’s honorees at a Jan. 11 luncheon in Los Angeles.

The complete 2012 list is:

American Horror Story
Breaking Bad
Game Change
Game of Thrones
Girls
Homeland
Louie
Mad Men
Modern Family
The Walking Dead

What do you think about the AFI list? Which shows do you think got snubbed? Sound off in the comments?

1. Linderella says:

No serious list would omit Parenthood.

2. Mark says:

“Sons Of Anarchy” and “Justified” should be on the list.

3. Lauren says:

5. Castle
    4. The Middle
    3. Last Resort
    2. Modern Family
    1. Once Upon a Time

• May says:

I pretty much agree with your list, but I’d exclude Body of Proof, Revenge and The Middle. Add Girls, How I Met Your Mother and Raising Hope. And put Castle first.

5. Stephen S. says:

Fringe, Justified, Revenge, Person of Interest and Arrow were all snubbed IMO. Glad to see Homeland (the best show on television), The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad on it though.

• Alan says:

arrow is good but still too many flaws to be considered a top 10 show, maybe this time next year when the writers have worked all the kinks out we could consider it again

6. lisa murphy says:

Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey should both be on this list. There are two shows on thia list tha can be left off. Mad Men is One of them.

7. Annie says:

Snub for The Good Wife!

8. sladewilson says:

Scandal, The Good Wife, Treme, Fringe (oh how I wish they would but I know it would never ever happen), Boardwalk Empire, Covert Affairs (yep – laugh all you want – great season)….

• Jen says:

I think Covert Affairs could be considered for an Emmy. This last season was awesome. I went back & got the 1st & 2nd seasons on DVD. Granted not nearly as good as this season but I wanted the back story on a lot of stuff!!

9. Sean D says:

PARKS. AND. RECREATION. Certainly that over ‘American Horror Story’ or ‘Modern Family,’ come on AFI!

10. b. says:

I agree with the majority of the list but no Dexter, Justified or Person of Interest!? C’ mon AFI!

11. llws88 says:

SCANDAL!

I dont think the show will ever get the credit it’s supposed to get…too bad because its an amazing show!

12. sue says:

the only show i watch thats here on the list and thats the walking dead which has been amazing! otherwise i dont agree.

13. Me Two says:

Person of Interest keeps getting better and better each week. It should be on any list of top ten television shows.

14. Jenna says:

I love Castle as much as the next person (probably more, actually) but I’ve come to terms with the fact that it’s a show for the fans, not the critics.
    Grey’s hasn’t been deserving of an award since season 2, so let’s nip that in the bud.
    Louie is brilliant, Modern is past its prime. Veep or P&R should take its place. (And 30 Rock should have an infinite amount of awards, obviously.)
    Not sure why Girls gets so much criticism. It’s not my favorite to watch but the writing is out of this world.
    Homeland is amazing, some of the storylines this year are a little questionable though.

15. João Paulo says:

Person of Interest and definitely TBBT.

16. Ashley says:

Sons of Anarchy! I wish the show would get recognized more often!

17. Parenthood, Southland, and Fringe. All three deserve to be awarded something for how amazing each and every episode is.

18. Raven says:

Uh, Grimm and Revenge. Tired of cable shows, only getting critical acclaim.

19. Jen says:

I wish the world would just get over Modern Family. Yes the first season was ground breaking & awesomely funny but to me it’s not really watchable anymore. Much more interesting shows in my DVR to catch up on than watch it.

20. May says:

Girls and Modern Family!

21. Annika says:

Scandal and Person of Interest for sure, and I love once Upon a Time but let’s face it, it’s probably not going to get any critical acclaim ever.

22. Jo says:

Girls is fascinating from a TV fan perspective. It is literally so bad that critics are tripping over themselves to praise it out of fear they are missing something subtly brilliant. It is without doubt one of the worst series ever made, and watching the trendy praise is hilarious.

23. Sheryl Baines says:

GOOD WIFE, SCANDALS AND PARENTHOOD

24. liddad says:

Grimm was amazing this year. Quite flawed last year, but what an improvement it’s seen this season! So that should be there!
    Walking Dead is no suprise this year.
    Dexter should be there, and I don’t think anyone should argue with that!
    Surprised to see no Community, which is incredible, and although I think Fringe was snubbed every other year, I get it this year. Season 5 has been average, still waiting for it to gain momentum, with only a few episodes left.