AFI's 2012 Top 10 List Includes Girls, Homeland and Horror Story — Which Shows Got Snubbed?

Get More: Awards

blog_AHS_walking_dead_girlsThe American Film Institute has released its annual top 10 TV list, which includes one rookie (HBO’s Girls), one TV movie (HBO’s Game Change) and one horror anthology (American Horror Story: Asylum).

RELATEDHomelandLouieGame of ThronesCheers (?) Win Big at 2012 TCA Awards

Repeat honorees include Breaking Bad, Homeland and The Walking Dead  — which first appeared on the list in 2009 but was absent last year.

The shows were chosen by critics, film and television artists, critics, scholars and AFI Trustees. The organization will celebrate this year’s honorees at a Jan. 11 luncheon in Los Angeles.

The complete 2012 list is:

American Horror Story
Breaking Bad
Game Change
Game of Thrones
Girls
Homeland
Louie
Mad Men
Modern Family
The Walking Dead

What do you think about the AFI list? Which shows do you think got snubbed? Sound off in the comments?

Comments (121)

• SONS OF ANARCHY

Comment by xav – December 10, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY agree —- Sons of Anarchy and SouthLAnd are two of the best shows on TV, but rarely get the critical acclaim they so richly deserve.

Comment by Anne – December 10, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED!! I love Sons of Anarchy and Justified. Too bad they never get the attention that they deserve. :(

Comment by V – December 10, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. Each season is better than the last, and that’s definitely saying something.

Comment by Brie – December 10, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yesssssss

Comment by Jus – December 10, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sons of Anarchy never receives the recognition it deserves!

Comment by nancy schutz – December 10, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Scandal,” definitely. It went from being one of the worst pilots of last season into, for me, the most engaging, can’t-wait-until-next-week show of the year.

Comment by Robert Taylor – December 10, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! I mean, I was hooked from the get-go, but Scandal definitely deserves more awards love than it receives. I’m hoping that at least Kerry Washington is in the conversation come Emmys time next year.

Comment by Matt – December 10, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Kerry Washington or the cast from Castle are snubbed during Emmys time next year. then I will continue to boycott the cable love fest show.

Comment by Melody Baker (@evangml) – December 10, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Way to go Melody Baker. That will teach them. lol

Comment by Tania – December 10, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really?! ‘Girls’, but no ‘Parks & Rec’?

Comment by Monica – December 10, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was just going to mention Parks and Recreation. It’s so great!

Comment by Fabian – December 10, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife is better than most of the shows listed here. This just looks like a cable tv promotion. Ridiculous.

Comment by Dee – December 10, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The quality of the Goodwife has really dropped for me. Used to be a no-miss show and now I barely watch. Some have it on their list of shows that might get cancelled. And it was a top 5 for me last year.

Comment by JaniceLG – December 10, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Kalinda storyline has really hurt the show this season, but I still watch it.

Comment by Mark – December 10, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The best shows ARE on the basic and premium cable channels. That’s just a FACT.

Comment by Tania – December 10, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood. You can’t have a Top 10 list in 2012 and not include Parenthood.

Comment by Chris – December 10, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! Parenthood is easily one of the best and finest shows on television today. That and “Revenge” deserves to be included!

Comment by iMember – December 10, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Double this! Best drama on television, especially for a basic family centric plot without having outrageous stories or crazy technical effects to help back it up.

Comment by schu – December 10, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks & Rec and Parenthood for me.

Comment by Bobby – December 10, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree 100%

Comment by Kate – December 10, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Take out “Girls” and “Game Change”

Comment by Scott Brecht – December 10, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, we must have been best friends in another life haha.

Comment by Fabian – December 10, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Swap out Modern Family for Parks & Rec and I’ll be okay with it, I guess.

Comment by Guy – December 10, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec, obviously! They got it last year but snubbed this yr…also happy endings over modern family all day, everyday.

Comment by Atoz15 – December 10, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boo modern family is not even close to Parks and Rec!

Comment by Kate – December 10, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe… but heaven forbid they have anything sci-fi….

Comment by Andrea L. Sperling (@drebombay) – December 10, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe has been really average this season. If it hasn’t made any other year, no way is it making it this year!

Comment by liddad – December 10, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, but disappointedly.

Comment by Ella B. – December 11, 2012 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Homeland, but man it’s been a little wacky lately. I’m not sure how I’ll rate season 2 as a whole until I see the finale.

Also, Modern Family is a really good show, but there are at least a couple other comedies that I’d rather see in this list. MF is one of those shows that will make every top 10 list and awards nomination for the rest of its run, no matter what. That type of thing always gets annoying quick, because I’d like to see other comedies get a chance too. Good to see Girls and Louie on here though.

Comment by maryploppins – December 10, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time and Big Bang Theory.

Comment by Mary – December 10, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thanks for the laugh, i needed that

Comment by Alan – December 10, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s too easy to pick shows on HBO and Showtime that can get away with anything, so people seem to think that makes them far better than anything on regular broadcast TV.

Comment by Mary – December 10, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • thats not my problem, my problem is that big bang has lazy writers who got complacent when they received a multi-year renewal and ruined the potentially great show, now i consider it down there with two and a half men.
          as to once upon a time there is just nothing of interest there in my opinion, it feels like there writers recently discovered the comic book series fables and decided they would try that and it just doesnt work in my opinion. not to mention jennifer morrison cant act

Comment by Alan – December 10, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • have you watched the new season of BBT? because they writers didn’t get lazy… so far this is the best season also more funny than ever.

Comment by Luli – December 10, 2012 02:14 PM PDT
          • what jokes about how nerds are weird and we should all laugh at them, anyone who identifies with the guys, myself included, just cant support its current brand of “comedy”

Comment by Alan – December 10, 2012 02:18 PM PDT
          • Forget about lazy writers. I’m stunned that TBBT is still on the air. CBS has thee worst comedy line up. In fact, they can’t be called comedies.

Comment by Tania – December 10, 2012 04:39 PM PDT
        • So basically people are not that bright. Mary, I’m a lot smarter than YOU think. Just sayin’.

Comment by Tania – December 10, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the fact that AHS got selected. It really is one of the best shows on today. A little surprised with Girls- I think that show is more “popular” than “acclaimed,” but whatever. I agree with Robert, Scandal is perfect and definitely deserves to be on this list, but I disagree with Dee. The Good Wife WAS a great show, but the last string of episodes last year were horrible, and this year it feels like it’s all about the stunt casting and not about the stories. I’m rooting for it to get back on its feet, because I know it can, but as it stands now, I don’t even see TGW being placed in the top 20.

Comment by Rrrrrr – December 10, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I looove Modern Family, but Parks deserves a spot on here more then Modern does.

Comment by Spencer – December 10, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They both deserve a spot over Girls.

Comment by Josh – December 10, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood.

Comment by Laura – December 10, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well – Grey’s Anatomy, Community and Parenthood have been one of the best this year!

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – December 10, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified

Comment by Callen – December 10, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Although last season was not as good as season two. Margo Martindale was just to amazing for words.

Comment by rowan77 – December 10, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge!

Comment by N – December 10, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second this notion!

Comment by iMember – December 10, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have agreed with this list if Parks and Rec was included.

Comment by caddyshack – December 10, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal & Sons Of Anarchy have been the best tv shows this season

Comment by tez – December 10, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons, Justified, Archer, and Spartacus

Comment by IPF – December 10, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They snubbed The Good Wife? That sucks.

Comment by mattyc – December 10, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family is too overrated, I would choose Once Upon a Time.

Comment by Alia – December 10, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Happy Endings ever get the love is deserves?!?!?!?!?!

Comment by GarrettC – December 10, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter???

Comment by MoTVFanatic – December 10, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter came back this year with a bang. Parenthood is consistently amazing. Snubbed!

Comment by Brigette – December 10, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Swap out The Good Wife for Game Change.

Comment by Heelarryous – December 10, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH. My hope is that, a few years from now, the entire country will formally issue an apology to the cast and crew of Community for not fully appreciating the show’s brilliance while it was on the air. Also, I think I’d swap Modern Family for Happy Endings, but that’s just me.

Comment by j – December 10, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ugh yes COMMUNITY is phenomenal and Happy Endings is genius

Comment by thatsloud – December 10, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Meh, I actually don’t care anymore if Community gets cancelled. I can see it gaining the same fame the arrested development has gained over the last few years. And it will. Easily.
        The three years we had were amazing, I’m sure the fourth will be too, and if it gets a fifth, I’ll be over the moon, but if it doesn’t, just wait two or three years and someone will want to pick it back up again. Maybe even Netflix again.

Comment by liddad – December 10, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Never going to happen. Maybe if Community were the least bit funny, much less being on the same level as the immortal AD, NBC wouldn’t be so eager to cancel that flopping mess of a show.

Comment by Terry – December 10, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • wouldnt be going into its fourth season if it was “a flopping mess”, sorry if the comedy is too clever for you go back to two and a half men

Comment by Alan – December 11, 2012 10:44 AM PDT
  • These are all cable shows except for Modern Family. LOL, suck it broadcast networks with your crappy quality primetime soap operas and multi-cam comedies. I love the inclusion of all these picks, except I never did see Game Change. At least 5 of these titles I would definitely call my favorite shows. I would for sure swap out Modern Family with Justified. Justified needs to be on the list, it’s a shame it’s not. And perhaps Community, but it’s been off the air so long, would they even have considered it?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 10, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family, really? dont get me wrong i watch it and enjoy it but it is not at the level of the rest of this list

Comment by Alan – December 10, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • … I think there are many shows that were left out , the most important ones are : The big bang theory that keeps getting better and better, Grey’s anatomy is back with a new skin and the Vampire diaries that has shown that it’s not just about vampires but also the quality of the story

Also if we talk about new shows I guess : chicago fire and go on are the best and they you should have a chance as well

Comment by Hdidi – December 10, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think if you have just mentioned some of the trashiest non-reality shows on TV right now. The big bang theory has lost it’s genius – and it now repeating the same jokes over and over.
      Grey’s is just trashy drama, and it has been ever since the middle of the first season.
      TVD I’ve never seen, but looks trashy. I could be wrong but, so I’ll let that one slip.
      And Chicago Fire is basically Grey’s but with firemen.

Go On is good, I’ll give it that, but it’s not reached its full potential, which I’m sure it will over the next year or two. Right now its just sort of “there”, but it looks like, as soon as it decides what it’ll be, it’ll be good whatever way it goes.

Comment by liddad – December 10, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Horror Story? Seriously?

Comment by Gerald – December 10, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family is HUGELY overrated. Sure it’s fine to watch, but no where near as awesome as everyone acts like it is.

Comment by Midori004 – December 10, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enlightend

Comment by Tim – December 10, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t sit through more than 20 minutes of “Girls”. “Modern Family” is so overrated it isn’t funny. For me, you take them off, and put on “Sons of Anarchy” and even though it was cancelled, I would say “Boss”. Boss was such a great show, I don’t know why it got cancelled.

Comment by Scooter Smith (@scoboot) – December 10, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly can’t believe that American Horror Story made the list. After the excellent first season, AHS:Asylum has been a mess of barely coherent storytelling and everything-but-the-kitchen-sink plotting. Plus, since there’s not a single character that remotely resembles a real human being, I don’t find it the least bit scary. (Gross? Yes. Scary? No!)

Comment by KennethC – December 10, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well sorry but you are severly in the minority. the plotting, yes, has been chaotic and sporadic but that’s done on purpose to further perpetuate the atmosphere of insanity. the acting it top notch and the 60′s vibe lends greatly to the paranoia of the show. the new season is receiving critical acclaim despite its loss of the first season’s humor and character development.

Comment by Joe – December 10, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood, Enlightened, Parks and Rec, Portlandia.

Comment by YowzaPowza – December 10, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yikes. Parks and Recreation, Veep.

Comment by mawhi – December 10, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REVENGE!

Comment by iMember – December 10, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It amazes me the lack of love Hollywood gives the two best (in my opinion) comedies. Parks and Recreation and Community deserve a little more acclaim than they recieve.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – December 10, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t comment as I watch none of the shows on that list. LOL

Comment by JoyAnne – December 10, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for writing that! What a “JOY” to read. Except for “Homeland”, I too have never seen a single one of the others on the so-called “10 best”. And the only reason I watch “Homeland”, is I got stuck, after seeing the 1st episode. It surprises me because I can’t stand the person who plays the blonde female lead. What i admire and like most about the one series I really like that is not even mentioned but once above, is “FRINGE” and that’s because it does not fear going near the SYFY aspect it often hints at. It is the nearness of the fringe aspect which gives it the aspect of danger which accompanies SYFY material. It takes guts in this day & age to venture there…especially by the writers who are putting their futures on the line by entering the neighborhood.

Comment by ed hamada – December 11, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo”? This is an OUTRA–oh, never mind. Even I can’t type this with a straight face.

Comment by BTM – December 10, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Castle is not in the top 10 then somethingis insanely wrong with the list. The same applies to Scandal. when willl shows that express diversity stop being snubbed for top 10 list and pca nominations?

Comment by Melody Baker (@evangml) – December 10, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look, I’m a HUGE Castle fan and I’ve watched a fair amount of Scandal and like it for what it is, but in no way should either of these be in the AFI top ten. Sorry. Modern Family shouldn’t be either, IMO. Much more deserving comedies out there.

Comment by keja – December 10, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood, Parks and Recreation, Happy Endings, & Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 should be in there! They are all amazing, emmy worthy shows.

Comment by Fabian – December 10, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still no love for Community or Parks and Rec…:(
    And AHS? Really?

Comment by Cindy – December 10, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Horror Story doesn’t deserve to be on this list this year. Sorry. It’s just not as good this year.

Comment by Mark – December 10, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe.

Comment by Matt – December 10, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! But Fringe always gets snubbed

Comment by Michele – December 10, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This ^^^^! :””’(

Comment by Jen – December 10, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and rec forsure girls and moden family I dnt understand all the fuss over thoes show bt to each his own

Comment by vane – December 10, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SCANDAL & PARENTHOOD. I love Castle, but I can see how they would snub procedurals. Good Wife doesn’t deserve it this year.

Comment by Sara – December 10, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community! New Girl! The Good Wife! Fringe! Not sure if these shows ever have a chance of making it to that list (or if they have in the past). But at least my favourite show, Breaking Bad, is on there

Comment by Karen – December 10, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post