Up All Night Hires Nurse Jackie Creator as Showrunner for Its Multi-Cam Revamp

Get More: Casting News, News

Up All Night a multi-cam sitcomWith its transition to a new multi-camera format, NBC’s Up All Night is getting a new showrunner: Nurse Jackie co-creator Linda Wallem, our sister site Deadline reports.

Wallem — who with Lix Brixius served as showrunner for Jackie through its first four seasons — thus replaces sitcom vet Tucker Cawley (Everybody Loves Raymond), who lorded over Up All Night for the first stretch of its second season. (Cawley will join The Mindy Project as a consulting producer, as part of his deal with Universal Television.)

RELATED | NBC Midseason: Community Returns, Smash Moves to Tuesdays, Revolution Takes a Break

As reported in October, Up All Night, after airing Season 2′s 10th and 11th episodes next Thursday, will go on an extended hiatus as it is reconfigured as a traditional multi-camera sitcom featuring a studio audience (à la The Big Bang Theory, Last Man Standing).

RELATED | NBC Boss Previews the Plan to Reboot Revolution After Four-Month Break

Production will resume in February on five multi-cam episodes, bringing the total for its sophomore run to 16.

Comments (18)

• I don’t get it..all this trouble for a series NBC will cancel in the Spring.

Comment by Jared – December 7, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They don’t seem to be getting the memo that their attempt to save their show is what’s going to get it cancelled…

Comment by Kendal Walworth – December 7, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What might save the show is getting rid of Maya Rudolph! She is not the least bit funny.

Comment by c4 – December 7, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • c4 are u kidding. Maya Rudolph is the ONLY reason I still watch this show.

Comment by Simon – December 7, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the show so much more last season.

Comment by Summer – December 7, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. Watching last year’s show about a stay-at-home dad and a mom who produced an Oprah-style talk show? Different and funny. Watching this year’s show about a stay-at-home mom and a dad starting a construction business? Yawn. Maya and Christina deserve better.

Comment by Trent – December 7, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh this was one of my favourite new shows last year. Such a disappointing turn of events (not that season 2 in general has been much better).

Comment by Susan – December 7, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wanna make sure I have this right.
    A lady from a single-camera (and kind of dark) cable “comedy” is taking over a show that’s turning into a multi camera sitcom, replacing a guy who used to work on a multi camera sitcom.
    And now the Everybody Loves Raymund guy is going to work on a single-camera comedy?

Comment by Lauren – December 7, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Before Nurse Jackie, Wallem worked on the first four seasons of That ’70s Show, before it started to suck. She knows how to make a multi-camera comedy work, although she also co-created the terrible That ’80s Show.

Comment by thiagofls – December 7, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I a horrible person for thinking this show is a lost cause? I really enjoyed it last year, but haven’t been able to get engaged this year, despite my best efforts. :(

Comment by Ashlyn – December 7, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to give Ava her show back and lose Regans brother for any chance getting a season 3.

Comment by Jake – December 7, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA, there’s no point in Ava being around anymore now that her show has been cancelled and that was my favorite part of last season. Regan’s brother doesn’t bother me too much, but he is superfluous if they don’t use him. We saw the set up of his business with Chris but nothing really since that. It seems like there’s lost opportunities for stories there.

Comment by Jen – December 7, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And clearly I had not watched the last ep before making my previous comment :-P

Comment by Jen – December 7, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe NBC is wasting their money and time for 5 episodes, it doesn’t make sense.

Oh yeah it’s NBC.

Comment by Midori004 – December 7, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish they would keep it single camera. I don’t like any of those CBS multi camera comedies. I don’t need people cueing me when I should laugh. I used to watch but probably won’t now.

Also I would like it if they would make Sean Hayes a series regular. I love him and maya together.

Comment by Annabelle – December 7, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YOU PEOPLE WILL BE SUED FOR STEALING MY WORK!!! YOU WILL PAY IN THIS LIFE AND THE NEXT!!!

Comment by JIM – December 7, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo!

Comment by CC – December 13, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Studio audiences are the worst! This show was so good when Ava still had her talk show. The first season was excellent. One of my favorite new shows. I agree that Maya Rudolph is a big reason I watched. So disappointed with this turn of events. Networks are full of stupid execs making horrible decisions about what fans want. They simply don’t get it.

Comment by cloudfoot – February 5, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post