Ratings: Hot Scandal Hits All-Time Highs, Chicago Fires Up Its Largest Audience

TONY GOLDWYN, KERRY WASHINGTONYou get two — count ‘em, two — ratings round-ups today for the price of one, thanks to delays over at the Nielsen number-crunching factory. (Sources tell me that Inspector 83 had a Level-8 abacus problem.)

Starting with Thursday, ABC’s Scandal drew its largest total audience ever (7.4 mil, up 11 percent) and rose 14 percent to an all-time high rating of 2.5 (besting Elementary’s 2.3).

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Shot Through the Heart, and Who’s to Blame?

CBS’ Two and a Half Men (14.2 mil/4.2) and Person of Interest (15 mil/3.2), pending NFL adjustments, upticked in the demo and are eying season highs in total viewers.

Elsewhere on Thursday:
* ABC’s Last Resort (5.5 mil/1.2) added a few eyeballs and gained 20 percent in the demo, while Grey’s Anatomy was steady at 8.93 mil/3.0.
* CBS’ Big Bang (17.4 mil/5.3) slipped two tenths in the demo, Elementary (10.9 mil/2.3) was up 5 percent.
* Fox’s X Factor (7.7 mil/2.4) shed a few viewers and was down 11 percent in the demo, Glee (5.5 mil/2.1) inched down a tenth in the demo.
* The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.4 mil/1.1) fell 20 percent in the demo, Beauty and the Beast (1.4 mil/0.5) was down 17 percent.
* NBC’s 30 Rock (3.33 mil/1.1) matched its series-low demo, Up All Night (2.94 mil/1.2) was flat, The Office (4.2 mil/2.1) rose 10 percent and Parks and Recreation (3.3 mil/1.5) inched up a tenth.

Flashing back to Wednesday now, here’s a superlative: NBC’s Chicago Fire surged 28 percent to deliver its largest total audience to date — 7.2 million viewers — while netting its second-best demo rating (1.9, matching the series premiere). Next week: Sarah Shahi joins the ensemble.

ChiFi‘s only better demo number came when it had a special lead-in from The Voice. This week, it can be noted, its CBS competition was the Grammy nominations hootenanny (which averaged about a 1.5) instead of CSI (2.6 at last tally).

A few other Wednesday notes:
* The CW’s Arrow (3.35 mil/1.1) dipped 10 and 15 percent, while Supernatural (2.1 mil/0.9) added viewers and a tenth.
* ABC’s Nashville (6 mil/1.9) rose 5 percent and a tenth.
* CBS’ Criminal Minds (11.3 mil/3.0) scared off a handful of viewers but inched up a tenth.

1. Amanda says:

Yes! ChiFi is such a good show! I’m so happy it’s been catching on.

• Elyse says:

agreed :) i love it!!

• Trent says:

Chicago Fire is really good and that was a great episode. Poor Peter Mills crying got me all choked up. And SVU with guest star Patricia Arquette was one of its best episodes ever (she deserves an Emmy nod).

However, Parks & Rec last night deserved a bigger audience. Watching Ron Swanson giggling and fanboying over a fellow woodworker was one of the funniest things EVER.

2. MJ says:

Yeah to Person of Interest. That show is SO good!

3. Vlada says:

Yay for Scandal! It deserves even bigger audience!

4. Yay for Scandal! So happy about the ratings jump!

5. Joe Petitjean says:

Scandal!!rock last night and i like how they used the flashbacks to tie up all the lose ends.

• Nicole says:

Scandal was a shocker with who shot fitz. It was nice that the flashbacks did tie up lose ends like why Olivia left the White House and how the whole Quinn/cytron story came to be. Even though those questions were answered more formed in the aftermath of the shooting. Like why did “spoiler alert” huck shoot fitz? Who hired him and did Olivia know it was him. He does work for her or did go rouge.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

You were actually shocked by that? I like the show, but I sat there the whole episode knowing that it was going to be Huck, with a small outside chance it would be one of he other trained killers we saw previously. I dunno, but that seemed painfully obvious that it was going to be him.

• Nicole says:

I thought it would be Charlie because in Spies like Us he said he was back and was looking for work. In that I thought that someone hired Charlie to shoot the president. It felt like Huck was on Olivia’s team he might of not known about her affair with Fitz but he was involved with giving Lindsey/Quinn her new identity and bits and pieces of cytron’s involvement.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Oh I see. Yeah of the others he was the only one I thought it might be as well for the exact reasons you said. And you know what? He might still be involved. There were 5 shots and Huck only counted 4 casings and then looked a little confused. I am starting to think he shot 4 times and someone else took that 5th headshot on Grant. Could be your guy. I doubt Huck would leave without finding all his casings.

• Mary says:

Putting “spoiler alert” in the same sentence as the spoiler does not count as a warning.

6. sharona says:

Chicago Fire didn’t have any competion, CSI was not aired that night ! It just proves that CSI will be renewed for a new season

• Elyse says:

CSI is way past its prime. CBS should just cancel it already.

• sharona says:

CSI is doing great ratings and wins its timeslot every weeks, it would be crazy to cancel it… And if CSI is cancelled, Mentalist, CSI NY and a lot of CBS shows should be cancelled…
        Why CBS would cancel a show which make them win a hard timeslot ??

• POIFanatic says:

I don’t think the competition with Nashville and Chicago Fire constitutes to being a ‘hard time slot’ for CSI.

• Doug-H says:

you’re nuts… CSI is far better than many procedure shows and has brought in enough new blood to keep it interesting IMO …. Ratings also show it.. In my home, I watch CSI live and Nashville later.. I having had time for Chicago Fire… I may catch up.. I like Sarah Shahi..

• wrstlgirl says:

You should catch up on Chicago Fire. It’s way better than Nashville, that’s just my opinion of course. I’m sure there are many who will disagree.

• Steph says:

I completely agree with you. I DVR Nashville, but it seems a little boring after watching all the excitement on Chicago Fire.

• CJ says:

I started out watching Nashville live and DVRing Chicago Fire. But now I’ve swapped, because I just don’t want to wait one second longer than necessary to watch Chicago Fire! I like Nashville…but between the two Chicago Fire is much, much better (in my opinion).

• sarah says:

Ummmmm Nashville was on so it did have competition!!!!

7. Last Resort wasn’t given a fair shake. It got thrown to the sharks WAY to soon. Bloody hell….

• wrstlgirl says:

I couldn’t agree more. Tough night, bad time slot…..it never had a chance. I will be watching to see how they wrap it up.

• Katherine215 says:

The time slot really bugs me. It’s supposed to be geared a bit more toward men, right? Why the heck would you put it on opposite football and right before two of ABC’s soapiest shows? I love this show and every episode makes me angrier and angrier that it was so poorly handled. Though when I think about any show that might skew more male on ABC, I pretty much come up blank. It should’ve been on a different network, or ABC should’ve done more for it if they truly want to draw more male eyeballs.

• John says:

I’m sure you don’t think its downfall was because of the atrocious plotholes, overacting and inconsistent characters.

8. Maria says:

Another excellent episode of POI and even Bear got to help out takin’ down the bad guys!

• crochetowl says:

Love the fact that Bear has been basically in every episode (at least one scene). Next’s week episode should really be good based on the preview.

9. wrstlgirl says:

Competition or not Chicago Fire has been holding its own and doing very well. It’s by far my favorite newbie this TV season.

10. wrstlgirl says:

Vampire Diaries was just more love triangle mess. They really need to resolve this old, old story and move forward. There’s a lot of wasted talent there.

11. ollie says:

yea for poi and stinks for tvd but not surprised

12. Mike says:

Glad Grey’s is still delivering so well after all these years, I actually quite enjoyed last nights ‘intern’ episode, if only because Gaius Charles and Tina Majorino are ALWAYS awesome, and Jo as a match for Alex is really growing on me.

13. Renee says:

That’s great for Chicago Fire and Person Of Interest, but ouch for Beauty & the Beast. I keep hoping some people will give it another try, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Sad.

14. Beth says:

Next week for Chicago fire looks awesome! I am loving this show so much. Next week looks good for Casey and Dawson :)

15. Jared says:

Last nights Scandal was so well done it could rival ANY drama on ANY cable network. This show is amazing and Kerry Washington is on point as Olivia Pope. ABC do the right thing and let Scandal stick around for awhile. This is how you grow a series and let it find it audience.

16. Joey Pacey says:

Person of Interest and Elementary continue to to entertain me. The producers of Glee should take notice that everytime it becomes the Rachel and Kurt show, the ratings go down.

17. lingy300 says:

I tried to watch Chicago Fire but it pales in comparison to Rescue Me. If you want to watch a show about firefighters watch that on DVD instead.

• leah says:

They’re not even the same thing. Rescue Me was about 9/11, Chicago fire isn’t

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t really see how you can compare the two. I loved Rescue Me but didn’t go into Chicago Fire expecting it to be the same. In fact I’m glad it’s not. Let it stand on it’s own.

• Steph says:

I’ve watched both and I prefer Chicago Fire. It’s the only show I look forward to watching every week.

• CJ says:

Rescue Me is honestly one of my all-time favorite shows, but that doesn’t keep me from watching Chicago Fire. They are both good of their own right and I think people need to stop comparing them, because they’ve very different shows, geared toward different audiences.

18. leah says:

It’s so sad too see where ratings are today and compare to 12 years ago when Freaks and Geeks was on air. It’s numbers would have beaten a lot of “hits” today.

19. sarah says:

So happy for Chicago Fire! I love that show and I am starting to like Nashville more and more but it has to say alot for ChiFi if it is rising that much!
    That is not good that Arrow dipped!
    I am glad TVD rose. POI is holding stready and I am glad that Grey’s is doing well for it’s 9th season!

20. Ana says:

Ok, Scandal was like scorching hot last night. This show just keeps getting better and better. Fitz and Olivia are crazy hot together. And the whole twist at the end was stellar! I’m glad they got the extra episodes and that ABC didn’t give up on this. This is one show that is so well done that really deserves the press it gets.
    Chicago Fire has also become a fave. Although I DVR it because I watch Nashville live. I didn’t expect to like CF as much as I do. And adding Sarah Shahi is a nice little surprise. Can’t wait to see how that goes.

21. Ana says:

Just realized. no Grey’s recap. Why??? Because it was focused on the interns and it was boring? Yeah, agreed… Although I have to say Heather is my favorite intern, if I had to pick one.

22. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Both Scandal and Chicago Fire are great shows. I can’t be the only one that saw the Huck thing coming from a mile away though. Olivia is involved in the whole conspiracy and Huck is her right hand man. I dunno, it seemed really obvious it would be him, but maybe there is a reason for that.

23. ollie says:

glad to see supernstural went up even if its a small gain

24. kim says:

I am so glad that Chicago Fire is finding an audience, it’s a really good show. Maybe, since it seems to be finding it’s footing with viewers, TVLine might write some articles about the show.. It’s largely ignored by most entertainment sites, maybe NBC just hasn’t been so good at marketing the show. Nashville certainly was the darling early on..

25. Joe says:

Chicago Fire is up because there was no CSI that night… Next week it will be down..

26. Chris says:

The Stelena fans are gonna be mad and The Vampire Diaries might just lose a couple of fans, even though Damon and Elena are going to somehow break up eventually. The show is all about the triangle. But Delena fans have been waiting a long time to see Damon and Elena together. The show is still great. Klaus vs Tyler vs Stefan should be very interesting this week. I’m curious what they’re gonna do with Jeremy and how they can resolve their issues since he wants to kill half of the cast. I do hope that we can see Damon and Elena interact outside of the bedroom. It’s not a relationship if ALL you do is have sex.

27. Kim says:

NBC has a winner with Chicago Fire- love it – don’t get rid of it like you ususally do to good shows like Law and Order. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, characters are interesting.