Fringe's Joshua Jackson: Peter's Revenge 'Is as Bleak a Story, But as Fun a Story, as You Can Tell'

FRINGE_508_9When last we tuned into Fox’s Fringe — with the middle of the final season’s 13 episodes — Peter’s transition into Observertude made new leaps, while Olivia became privy to her partner’s unsettling secret.

Oh, and as Peter realized that he could lead Observers to death, he lost his first clump of hair.

RELATED | Fringe Team Shares Scoop on Bald Peter, Olivia’s MIA Ring, Astrid’s ‘Moment’ and More

“He’s not in a good space,” Joshua Jackson told TVLine with a laugh, at the series’ 100th episode party. “He is hellbent on revenge and it is clouding out any other thing in his life at this point,” his closeness to Olivia included. “He all of a sudden has the power to make these things happen, so he’s on that path — and nothing will deter him.”

In this week’s episode (airing tonight at 9/8c), Peter will skulk around and keep an eye on Captain Windmark, the ultimate target of his vengeance. “He’s not really ‘stalking’ him; he’s setting him up for death,” Jackson clarified. “He’s actively trying to manipulate him into a place where Peter can exact his revenge, for killing his daughter.”

Coupling the inherent coolness of this futuristic arc and Peter’s mad new skills with a father’s all-encompassing grief adds up to “as bleak a story, but as fun a story, as you can tell,” Jackson observed.

RELATED | Joshua Jackson, Anna Torv Likely to Skip 2013 Pilot Season After Fringe Wraps

But what of the mother who lost a child? And who now worries about FR508_12losing her husband to the tech inside of him and his blood thirst for revenge? Last we saw, Olivia quietly exited stage left after being freaked by Peter’s white board calculations and dark determination. This week, Anna Torv told me, “She meets this woman who has a profound influence on her — which she doesn’t realize until a little bit after.”

What larger purpose does this oracle-like figure (played by singer Jill Scott) serve? “She helps Olivia to not make the same mistakes over and over and over again,” Torv answered, “to finally end a pattern.”

Want more scoop on Fringe, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. coil says:

Today’s episode will be great.

• Annie says:

Yeah but … “Oracle”-like? Really? I just … I dunno. I’ll withhold judgment until I see the episode but we only have a few more to go before the wrapup. I’m praying they don’t start cribbing off Matrix or any other franchise. I want it to be Fringe-unique.

• ohlala says:

yeah because the matrix was the first and ONLY thing to use oracles, seers, and prophets. hmm… charmed. angel. buffy. the list goes on.

2. SK says:

I hope Peterver can be saved by Olivia. I love his mad skills but not to the detriment of his relationship with Olivia and himself. I’d hate to see him bald! :) But seriously, I am feeling sad that after tonight’s episode, we’ll only have 5 left to go. LOVE THIS SHOW!!

3. Sandy says:

Fun for you Josh but not so much fun for us viewers. Looking forward to what Olivia learns from the Jill Scott character.

• pik says:

“Us viewers”? Speak for yourself. I’m loving it!

• Pansybucket says:

What she really means when she says “us viewers” is clearly “olivia fans” . I mean Olivia fans hate seeing anybody other than her doing something interesting.

• Pansybucket says:

I’m sure if it was Olivia/Anna doing this observer storyline, you would enjoy it and brag about it. At the end of the day, you hate seeing josh doing anything on this show cause of your own selfishness.

• Aimee says:

Normally, I would not agree with you, but you have a point. I have a feeling if the shoe were on the other foot, so to speak, then it would be considered awesome by some complaining folks. We know all about the double standards that they have when it comes to Peter.

• Aimee says:

This is the most interesting storyline Fringe has had in a while. It is heartbreaking and dark. Have you ever had a loved one slip into the depths of depression and despair, or have you ever been there yourself? You can’t judge unless you’ve done things that you would have never thought of doing. If one doesn’t value their life any longer, then watch out, You have no idea what they are capable of.

All I can say is thank goodness loving people are willing to pull lost souls out of the darkness. Peter was the one who told Olivia in one future that there was still hope, even though the world was falling apart around them. Now he needs her resolve.

• drty says:

I cannot believe people are now agreeing with a TROLL.

Going on a mad quest for revenge and putting that tech inside her head would be a very out of character thing for Olivia to do and the “Olivia fan” in me would be extremely disappointed with her. Not enjoy it. Some of us are normal people who watch and react to what each of the characters do. We don’t endlessly defend one character and cry if others don’t do the same.

An opinion is not a fact and no one needs to be attacked for having one.

• Pansybucket says:

And no actor or actress deserves to be attacked by the fanbase just because they happen to have a story arc of their own. Unless you didn’t notice, people didn’t start complaining about Olivia not being proactive until Peter gained observer abilities. I mean when Olivia was the one who got all the powers, saved the day, people would endlessly brag about it while everyone else’s favorite character spent most of their time giving Olivia advice and stuck in that lab doing nothing.

• JaniceLG says:

Well said Amiee. Peter as Observer is both interesting and alarming in equal measure. Can’t wait to see how this all plays out in the end.

4. cv says:

of course mr. jackson is having heaps of fun with his storyline but he is wrong to assume everyone else is enjoying it. i am not. i dont like where they have gone with the observers this season and how everything is a bit too dark and depressing. the fun has been sucked out of this show. what happened to the good old days of season 1, 2 and 3?

5. cat says:

I think the people who don’t find a dramatic storyline to be “fun” are probably immature babies who are longing to go back to My Little Pony and Candyland. Grow up.

• cv says:

i’m sorry i didnt know having a different opinion on something made me immature.

• cv says:

being a fan of a show doesnt take away my right to be critical. i have invested too much time and energy into this show and its characters to quit watching just before the finish line. i am still interested to know how it all ends. i’m just havent been enjoying the journey so far.

• MA says:

Hahaha…takes one to know one.

6. Singingal says:

Can’t believe Jill was in Vancouver and I missed it! Would have been awesome if she’d done a show here during that time. Well, the door is open, Jill! And on a more show related note, thank goodness it’s back tonight! I’ve had so many ideas running through my head as to where they are going with this and I can’t wait to see how it all plays out!

7. pik says:

I’m loving Peter’s story this year, so I hope it doesn’t end any time soon. I’m finding the hunt for the tapes and Walter’s plan one of the most boring plots this show has ever had, so I’m enjoying this twist, because it’s shaking things up a bit. Josh is doing an amazing job, he is such a great actor!

• JaniceLG says:

pik, where do you hope the Peter story will end? I really like that Josh has something to dig his teeth into, but this story, to me, isnt the “will he be September-like Observer”, but something much darker and worrisome. Does he remain an Observer, does he learn to humanize himself, does he need saved? Curious what you see the ending being for him.

8. K. Haley says:

All good stories evolve and FRINGE is among the best to do it in an interesting and engrossing way. I feel very uncomfortable with this Peter situation, but also very interested to see how it’s going to play out. As for Olivia, I think it’s wonderful that she will finally find her way out of her own life-long lonliness (if self-imposed).

I too is very sad to see the show end, but man-o-man, Wyman and Co. are bringing their A game! Loving this season, just wish it weren’t the last.

• JaniceLG says:

Agree K. Haley. My only big concern now is that we’ll only get a few moments of happiness/hope/resolution/closure at the end. This has been a very dark, tormenting, interesting, incredible storytelling season.

• cjeffery7 says:

i think the uncomfortableness of the peter situation is part of its strength. i feel exactly the same way and the only reason other shows make me feel uncomfortable are because i dont feel like those moments are as deserved or are executed as well as they are on fringe.

9. A.D. says:

Always been an amazing show…Will miss it very much!

10. Chris says:

It’s childish and self-important to diss those who dislike this season’s cliche’d darkness; is that you, Joel?

• cat says:

No, it’s me. Who thinks that “drama” does not = “cliche.”

• Chris says:

*snort* dark/pain doesn’t ipso facto = drama either. Petit bourgeous thinking notwithstanding.

• cat says:

You need to look up “petit bourgeois” – I do not think it means what you think it means.

I suppose you’d rather see Peter and Olivia going to street fairs, eating cotton candy and playing crosswords together.

11. NikkiQM says:

Peter is September. It would explain a lot and fits with this new story arc. Found this season very disappointing until Peter put the Observer tech into the back of his neck. I’ve been riveted ever since.

12. cjeffery7 says:

matt, what do you think about olivia’s characterization this season? aside from her angst about getting her daughter back and feeling less than motherly, and now feeling distant from peter after losing said daughter, i feel likt there’s still something happening in her head that is completely her own situation, independent of the other characters. she’s been relatively quiet and subdued and hasn’t really been proactive and confident in the way we’ve seen her in past episodes. are we just supposed to assume it’s a result of the crazy ass situation they’re all in and she’s just taking her time to work through her emotions, or could there be something the writer’s still have in their pockets? maybe something starting in tonight’s episode if this woman is supposed to help Olivia not to make the same mistakes over and over again. i hope that mistake is to stop sulking and get proactive and start to really combat peter’s poor decisions.

• cjeffery7 says:

i s’pose what i’m feeling is that olivia’s story is being overshadowed by peter’s story. and nobody puts olivia in a corner!!

• Jeff says:

It’s not about “Peter’s story vs. Olivia’s story,” and it never should be. It’s about the “Fringe” story. That’s what’s important.

If it’s called “The Olivia Dunham Story” in an alternate universe, go post your complaints there.

• cjeffery7 says:

i was being sarcastic, fringe friend. i quoted dirty dancing for heaven’s sake. i promise you i’m not a crazy polarized fan. i can promise you that i VERY MUCH appreciate the profundity and complexity of the character development and story weaving that has been developed over the last 5 seasons.

• cjeffery7 says:

i also appreciate the wit of the latter part of your comment. i’m not joking. i actually imagined for a second an alternate universe where it was called the olivia dunham story, and myself commenting on tvline.com or maybe tvline.cam, who knows what the differences could be! the things watching Fringe will allow your brain to imagine… lol.