Fringe's Joshua Jackson: Peter's Revenge 'Is as Bleak a Story, But as Fun a Story, as You Can Tell'

Get More: Previews

FRINGE_508_9When last we tuned into Fox’s Fringe — with the middle of the final season’s 13 episodes — Peter’s transition into Observertude made new leaps, while Olivia became privy to her partner’s unsettling secret.

Oh, and as Peter realized that he could lead Observers to death, he lost his first clump of hair.

RELATED | Fringe Team Shares Scoop on Bald Peter, Olivia’s MIA Ring, Astrid’s ‘Moment’ and More

“He’s not in a good space,” Joshua Jackson told TVLine with a laugh, at the series’ 100th episode party. “He is hellbent on revenge and it is clouding out any other thing in his life at this point,” his closeness to Olivia included. “He all of a sudden has the power to make these things happen, so he’s on that path — and nothing will deter him.”

In this week’s episode (airing tonight at 9/8c), Peter will skulk around and keep an eye on Captain Windmark, the ultimate target of his vengeance. “He’s not really ‘stalking’ him; he’s setting him up for death,” Jackson clarified. “He’s actively trying to manipulate him into a place where Peter can exact his revenge, for killing his daughter.”

Coupling the inherent coolness of this futuristic arc and Peter’s mad new skills with a father’s all-encompassing grief adds up to “as bleak a story, but as fun a story, as you can tell,” Jackson observed.

RELATED | Joshua Jackson, Anna Torv Likely to Skip 2013 Pilot Season After Fringe Wraps

But what of the mother who lost a child? And who now worries about FR508_12losing her husband to the tech inside of him and his blood thirst for revenge? Last we saw, Olivia quietly exited stage left after being freaked by Peter’s white board calculations and dark determination. This week, Anna Torv told me, “She meets this woman who has a profound influence on her — which she doesn’t realize until a little bit after.”

What larger purpose does this oracle-like figure (played by singer Jill Scott) serve? “She helps Olivia to not make the same mistakes over and over and over again,” Torv answered, “to finally end a pattern.”

Want more scoop on Fringe, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (37)

• Today’s episode will be great.

Comment by coil – December 7, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but … “Oracle”-like? Really? I just … I dunno. I’ll withhold judgment until I see the episode but we only have a few more to go before the wrapup. I’m praying they don’t start cribbing off Matrix or any other franchise. I want it to be Fringe-unique.

Comment by Annie – December 7, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah because the matrix was the first and ONLY thing to use oracles, seers, and prophets. hmm… charmed. angel. buffy. the list goes on.

Comment by ohlala – December 7, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Peterver can be saved by Olivia. I love his mad skills but not to the detriment of his relationship with Olivia and himself. I’d hate to see him bald! :) But seriously, I am feeling sad that after tonight’s episode, we’ll only have 5 left to go. LOVE THIS SHOW!!

Comment by SK – December 7, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fun for you Josh but not so much fun for us viewers. Looking forward to what Olivia learns from the Jill Scott character.

Comment by Sandy – December 7, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Us viewers”? Speak for yourself. I’m loving it!

Comment by pik – December 7, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What she really means when she says “us viewers” is clearly “olivia fans” . I mean Olivia fans hate seeing anybody other than her doing something interesting.

Comment by Pansybucket – December 7, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure if it was Olivia/Anna doing this observer storyline, you would enjoy it and brag about it. At the end of the day, you hate seeing josh doing anything on this show cause of your own selfishness.

Comment by Pansybucket – December 7, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Normally, I would not agree with you, but you have a point. I have a feeling if the shoe were on the other foot, so to speak, then it would be considered awesome by some complaining folks. We know all about the double standards that they have when it comes to Peter.

Comment by Aimee – December 7, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the most interesting storyline Fringe has had in a while. It is heartbreaking and dark. Have you ever had a loved one slip into the depths of depression and despair, or have you ever been there yourself? You can’t judge unless you’ve done things that you would have never thought of doing. If one doesn’t value their life any longer, then watch out, You have no idea what they are capable of.

All I can say is thank goodness loving people are willing to pull lost souls out of the darkness. Peter was the one who told Olivia in one future that there was still hope, even though the world was falling apart around them. Now he needs her resolve.

Comment by Aimee – December 7, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I cannot believe people are now agreeing with a TROLL.

Going on a mad quest for revenge and putting that tech inside her head would be a very out of character thing for Olivia to do and the “Olivia fan” in me would be extremely disappointed with her. Not enjoy it. Some of us are normal people who watch and react to what each of the characters do. We don’t endlessly defend one character and cry if others don’t do the same.

An opinion is not a fact and no one needs to be attacked for having one.

Comment by drty – December 7, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And no actor or actress deserves to be attacked by the fanbase just because they happen to have a story arc of their own. Unless you didn’t notice, people didn’t start complaining about Olivia not being proactive until Peter gained observer abilities. I mean when Olivia was the one who got all the powers, saved the day, people would endlessly brag about it while everyone else’s favorite character spent most of their time giving Olivia advice and stuck in that lab doing nothing.

Comment by Pansybucket – December 7, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said Amiee. Peter as Observer is both interesting and alarming in equal measure. Can’t wait to see how this all plays out in the end.

Comment by JaniceLG – December 7, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course mr. jackson is having heaps of fun with his storyline but he is wrong to assume everyone else is enjoying it. i am not. i dont like where they have gone with the observers this season and how everything is a bit too dark and depressing. the fun has been sucked out of this show. what happened to the good old days of season 1, 2 and 3?

Comment by cv – December 7, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can always watch Seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD.

Storylines move on. Get over it, or stop watching.

Comment by cat – December 7, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you, cv. I don’t mind going into the future, but constant misery isn’t my idea of a good time.

Comment by MA – December 7, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the people who don’t find a dramatic storyline to be “fun” are probably immature babies who are longing to go back to My Little Pony and Candyland. Grow up.

Comment by cat – December 7, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m sorry i didnt know having a different opinion on something made me immature.

Comment by cv – December 7, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • being a fan of a show doesnt take away my right to be critical. i have invested too much time and energy into this show and its characters to quit watching just before the finish line. i am still interested to know how it all ends. i’m just havent been enjoying the journey so far.

Comment by cv – December 7, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha…takes one to know one.

Comment by MA – December 7, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe Jill was in Vancouver and I missed it! Would have been awesome if she’d done a show here during that time. Well, the door is open, Jill! And on a more show related note, thank goodness it’s back tonight! I’ve had so many ideas running through my head as to where they are going with this and I can’t wait to see how it all plays out!

Comment by Singingal – December 7, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving Peter’s story this year, so I hope it doesn’t end any time soon. I’m finding the hunt for the tapes and Walter’s plan one of the most boring plots this show has ever had, so I’m enjoying this twist, because it’s shaking things up a bit. Josh is doing an amazing job, he is such a great actor!

Comment by pik – December 7, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • pik, where do you hope the Peter story will end? I really like that Josh has something to dig his teeth into, but this story, to me, isnt the “will he be September-like Observer”, but something much darker and worrisome. Does he remain an Observer, does he learn to humanize himself, does he need saved? Curious what you see the ending being for him.

Comment by JaniceLG – December 7, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All good stories evolve and FRINGE is among the best to do it in an interesting and engrossing way. I feel very uncomfortable with this Peter situation, but also very interested to see how it’s going to play out. As for Olivia, I think it’s wonderful that she will finally find her way out of her own life-long lonliness (if self-imposed).

I too is very sad to see the show end, but man-o-man, Wyman and Co. are bringing their A game! Loving this season, just wish it weren’t the last.

Comment by K. Haley – December 7, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree K. Haley. My only big concern now is that we’ll only get a few moments of happiness/hope/resolution/closure at the end. This has been a very dark, tormenting, interesting, incredible storytelling season.

Comment by JaniceLG – December 7, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think the uncomfortableness of the peter situation is part of its strength. i feel exactly the same way and the only reason other shows make me feel uncomfortable are because i dont feel like those moments are as deserved or are executed as well as they are on fringe.

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 7, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always been an amazing show…Will miss it very much!

Comment by A.D. – December 7, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s childish and self-important to diss those who dislike this season’s cliche’d darkness; is that you, Joel?

Comment by Chris – December 7, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, it’s me. Who thinks that “drama” does not = “cliche.”

Comment by cat – December 7, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *snort* dark/pain doesn’t ipso facto = drama either. Petit bourgeous thinking notwithstanding.

Comment by Chris – December 7, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You need to look up “petit bourgeois” – I do not think it means what you think it means.

I suppose you’d rather see Peter and Olivia going to street fairs, eating cotton candy and playing crosswords together.

Comment by cat – December 7, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter is September. It would explain a lot and fits with this new story arc. Found this season very disappointing until Peter put the Observer tech into the back of his neck. I’ve been riveted ever since.

Comment by NikkiQM – December 7, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • matt, what do you think about olivia’s characterization this season? aside from her angst about getting her daughter back and feeling less than motherly, and now feeling distant from peter after losing said daughter, i feel likt there’s still something happening in her head that is completely her own situation, independent of the other characters. she’s been relatively quiet and subdued and hasn’t really been proactive and confident in the way we’ve seen her in past episodes. are we just supposed to assume it’s a result of the crazy ass situation they’re all in and she’s just taking her time to work through her emotions, or could there be something the writer’s still have in their pockets? maybe something starting in tonight’s episode if this woman is supposed to help Olivia not to make the same mistakes over and over again. i hope that mistake is to stop sulking and get proactive and start to really combat peter’s poor decisions.

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 7, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i s’pose what i’m feeling is that olivia’s story is being overshadowed by peter’s story. and nobody puts olivia in a corner!!

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 7, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not about “Peter’s story vs. Olivia’s story,” and it never should be. It’s about the “Fringe” story. That’s what’s important.

If it’s called “The Olivia Dunham Story” in an alternate universe, go post your complaints there.

Comment by Jeff – December 7, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i was being sarcastic, fringe friend. i quoted dirty dancing for heaven’s sake. i promise you i’m not a crazy polarized fan. i can promise you that i VERY MUCH appreciate the profundity and complexity of the character development and story weaving that has been developed over the last 5 seasons.

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 7, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i also appreciate the wit of the latter part of your comment. i’m not joking. i actually imagined for a second an alternate universe where it was called the olivia dunham story, and myself commenting on tvline.com or maybe tvline.cam, who knows what the differences could be! the things watching Fringe will allow your brain to imagine… lol.

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 7, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post