Castle Exclusive: Gina Torres on Board for Show's Latest Firefly Reunion

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Castle: Gina Torres in Firefly ReunionAnother shiny Firefly reunion is headed Castle‘s way.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Gina Torres, who played Zoe to Nathan Fillion’s Mal on the short-lived, much-loved Fox sci-fi series, will guest-star on the ABC drama as Samantha Foster, a successful fashion mogul who comes off as ruthless and fierce on a Real Housewives-esque reality show. But get this — she may be even more devious when the cameras aren’t rolling.

RELATED | ABC Unveils Castle, Once Upon a Time and Revenge Limited Edition Prints

Torres will appear in this season’s 14th episode, “Reality Star Struck,” which would seem poised to air during February sweeps. (Castle resumes Season 5 on Jan. 7, with the episode “Significant Others.”) Previously, Firefly‘s Adam Baldwin guested on Castle, in an April 2012 episode.

Since her time aboard the Serenity, Torres has enjoyed runs on series such as 24 and Alias. She currently costars on USA Network’s Suits as Jessica Pearson.

RELATED | Castle, Glee, Supernatural and Vampire Diaries Top 2013 People’s Choice Nominations

What do you think of this piece of Castle casting? What in-jokes/Firefly nods would you work into any Fillion-Torres scenes?

Comments (169)

• Firefly was the GREATEST SHOW EVAH!!! Dailogue makes a show, and while Castle has some very good lines, best lines ever put to screen are from Firefly. I watched when it was on, and what most here say is true. Fox never gave it a chance. GT has to say the “Take me Sir, Take me hard.” line. I’d literally pee myself, and for once it wouldn’t be because of my abnormally small bladder. Browncoat 4 life.

Comment by Kevin B. – December 8, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES YES YES !!!

Comment by Lilu – December 8, 2012 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I just Wash my hands of the whole thing!!! : )
    LOVE it!

Comment by Ken – December 8, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping to see Jewel Staite on Castle someday!

Comment by Tom – December 8, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m waiting to see Summer Glau on an episode some day. She can play an escaped mental patient that thinks she can kill people with her mind.

Comment by Kevin B. – December 8, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mal: Well you were right about this being a bad idea
    Zoe: Thanks for saying sir

Ahh now you have…
    Zoe: him
    blank stare
    Zoe: Oh i’m sorry you were going to make me choose

Mal: Well if anyone gets noisy just shoot em
    Zoe: Shoot them sir?
    Mal: You know; politely

Zoe: You’re loosing the high ground honey

They have to have big damn heroes as many have said but they also need Zoe to get behind the bad guy and hit him…”clear”

Comment by Alex – December 8, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember when they were talking about the sci-fi convention episode. I thought that Captain Max should have been played by Alan Tudyk. That would have been cool. I’m excited for Gina to be on the show!

Comment by Jamie – December 8, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “You want a slinky dress? I’ll buy you a slinky dress.”

She is playing a fashion mogul shouldn’t be too hard to work in someplace.

Comment by Cordrone – December 8, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a nice nod to Firefly and Serenity would be something like…

Gina: I’m not so bad. After all, I’m just looking for a little serenity in my life.

Nathan: Aren’t we all, darlin’? Aren’t we all?

Or…

Gina: You’re a writer?

Nathan: It’s what I do , darlin’. It’s what I do.

(I don’t know why I have this “darlin’” thing going on. )

Comment by Overton – December 8, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so tired of being reminded of Firefly, and of how much Nathan Fillion would rather be working on that than on Castle. I almost wonder if they have to keep working in these references to keep him interested. I find that it really dampens my enthusiasm.

Comment by Lydia – December 8, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fillion always said that he enjoys immensely working for Castle. His favourite role were mal, no question asked and I can understand that, the character was more complex. But he never said that he wasn’t interested in Castle. Far from it.
      Plus Fillion has no control of who are ou aren’t cast on the show. He’s only an actor, not even an executive producer (that might change when they’ll re-negociate their contract btw). He can say all day long “I want this actor on the show”, at the end of the day, he doesn’t decide. If you don’t like firefly alum on Castle, blame it on the casting director, not on Fillion.
      FYI on twitter, Fillion hasn’t commented on the news so far. He’s too busy promoting himself and the show for the People Choice Awards, because he’s so not interested in Castle.

Comment by mco – December 8, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • a katic fan with inferiority complex? nah it can’t be!!!! lol

Comment by Robert – December 9, 2012 05:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Andrew, we know you can do comedy, drama and romance, and excel at each. Now will you combine all three in a super suspenseful, hotly romantic three part arch with cliff hangers at the end of each episode to end the season and drive everyone absolutely nuts, an entire summer to simmer like you did with 2.24. I know it’s more work, and tough to do but NCIS did a five part arch that left everyone aw struck for over a month. Your season six premier would be huge.

Comment by lame – December 8, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it would be easy for them to give Gina’s character the line “Of course, there’s other schools of thought” as Nathan does something crazy.

Comment by Sam – December 8, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Morena Baccarin needs to appear and refer to prostites as “Whores” and Rick takes offense.

Comment by Mike Q. – December 9, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There needs to be some Chinese and something about shiny! And a “Yes, Captain”!

Comment by Alexis – December 9, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Browncoats forever!

Comment by polly – December 9, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you aren’t watching Suits you should give it a try. Season two was incredible.

Comment by Ladyhelix – December 9, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Here’s how it is: The Earth got used up, so we moved out and terraformed a whole new galaxy of Earths. Some rich and flush with the new technologies, some not so much. The Central Planets, thems formed the Alliance, waged war to bring everyone under their rule; a few idiots tried to fight it, among them myself. I’m Malcolm Reynolds, captain of Serenity. She’s a transport ship; Firefly class. Got a good crew: fighters, pilot, mechanic. We even picked up a preacher for some reason, and a bona fide companion. There’s a doctor, too, took his genius sister outta some Alliance camp, so they’re keepin’ a low profile. You understand. You got a job, we can do it, don’t much care what it is.”

Zoe: You sanguine about the kind of reception we’re apt to receive on an Alliance ship, Cap’n?
    Mal: Absolutely. [pauses] What’s “sanguine” mean?
    Zoe: “Sanguine”. Hopeful. Plus, point of interest: it also means “bloody”.
    Mal: Well, that pretty much covers all the options, don’t it?

Comment by Bob – December 10, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “We just solved a murder… what do you suppose that makes us…?”

“Big damn heroes, sir.”

“Don’t it just?”

Comment by Matt – December 11, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First quote I can think of “If the Captain says it’s ok.” Or anything where she says “Captain”

Comment by Robin Coots – December 25, 2012 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Problems with Castle Season Five
    Andrew Marlowe . Get off the way you do “close ups” in action mode, spend a dollar and do it right its cheap shooting and you know it distracts from QUALITY of the show. NOT SO CLOSE all the time – OK
    Try more group shots instead of over the shoulder ( rest my eyes ) gives more depth in the station etc.
    Also so many undercurrent stories in one show, this needs to be cut down a tad. Ratings can’t be wrong and you need to rethink the timeline you use for your main actors Rick and Kate.
    Forget the last scene with anyone else but Rick and Kate. Main actors to close – Just dumb NOT DOING IT
    Rick – Lose some WEIGHT NOW now! LOOK AT SEASON 1 you are now a puffer fish. At a 100k a show use a trainer. Steven Seagal is not sexy or can move with his weight and nor are you.
    Kate – Whoever dresses or advisers Kate to dress in the show needs to be “shot or fired”. Kate looks great so what’s the problem getting great clothes (hint she can now afford it).
    Re Caskett Yes some time needs to be assigned to them in the show instead of a 2 min scene and then going off on a tangent. More playfull Kate with Rick. More morning scenes like After the Storm before the murder call etc would be good.
    And yes more real kissing do I have to say it too. Tease to much and I am gone. A good Red Butler moment would be good.
    More personal stuff and hint of the wedding or moving in TOGETHER. Kill off Martha or send he on a roadshow out if town In that order.
    Attention writers – More CIA type, New York bomb stuff or saving the world stuff story lines. Quality not junk. Not so many sub plots. Eg Martha or Alexis all the time. Give space and more time for Rick and Kate.
    More personal lines and more in Jokes between the Rick and Kate
    Signature move between them, for example hand on a cheek or shoulder in the squad room when leaving

Comment by Lee – December 31, 2012 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I blog often and I genuinely appreciate your information. This article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your website and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

Comment by Stan – January 10, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will you be in a position to manual myself for your web marketer or perhaps the man who deals with your website, I would like to determine if it will be easy to be considered a guests poster

Comment by seo – April 9, 2013 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post