CBS Midseason Scoop: Rules of Engagement Returns, CSI: NY Wraps, Golden Boy Bows

Get More: News, Scheduling News

blog_cbs_mashup_12.6.12CBS is the final broadcaster to unveil its midseason game plan, and highlights include the return of Rules of Engagement, a special Tuesday launch for the new cop drama Golden Boy and a February finale for CSI: NY.

As expected, ultimate Eye utility player Rules — which is entering its seventh (!!!) season — will replace the cancelled comedy Partners on Mondays-at-8:30 pm beginning Feb. 4.

RELATED | CBS Orders Straight-to-Series Adaptation of Stephen King’s Under the Dome

Greg Berlanti and Nicholas Wootton’s Golden Boy, which centers on the meteoric rise of an ambitious cop (Downton Abbey‘s Theo James) who is destined to become the youngest police commish in New York City history, will get a special two-week preview in Vegas’ Tuesdays-at-10 slot on Feb. 26 and March 5, before settling into its regular Fridays-at-9 perch on March 8 (replacing CSI: NY, which will wrap Season 9 on Feb. 22.)

Vegas, meanwhile, will resume its rookie run on March 12.

Lastly, the spring editions of Survivor and Amazing Race will bow Wednesday, Feb. 13 and Sunday, Feb. 17 respectively.

Comments (65)

• It time to cancel the show How I Met Your Mother. Neal Patrick Harris over acts and it shows.

Comment by Gloria – December 6, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HIMYM has gone on long enough.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli (@AnnaPaolinelli1) – December 6, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t agree on the overacting bit, that being said, it is time to end the show. It’s simply not funny anymore and almost all of the characters are so unlikable and annoying now.

Comment by Gerald – December 6, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shut up haters! haha. Please at least one more season!!! I love this show!! Damn picky people

Comment by Alex – April 8, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s the point of mentioning HIMYM, it was not even mentioned in the article, and we get it you people hate the show, but some people still love it, and it won’t get cancelled, it still has good ratings, it may end but it won’t get cancelled. If you hate it so much don’t watch it, instead of complaining about it on the Internet. It is still better than Two and a half men. I can take criticism but there was no reason to mention it in this article.

Comment by Mike – December 6, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said Mike!!

Comment by Boiler – December 6, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said, so true !! I for one love the show.

Comment by Jo – December 6, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree that it is a good show and the silliness of someone mentioning a show that is not even in this article!

Comment by sarah – December 6, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t get the hate either. I still find it funny, and it’s really rare for me to like any multi-cam shows.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 6, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s the only multi-cam I am able to watch, fit two reasons, it’s not stagnant, the characters do make progress and change, and I feel the laugh track is less loud and abnoxious.

Comment by Mike – December 6, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True….I never liked the show as much as some (I’ve always found Barney to be extremely irritating and almost never funny), and I quit watching it several years ago, but it’s silly to post complete nonsequiturs about it in articles about other shows. Most would say it’s a good example of trollery. If you don’t like a show, don’t watch it. If there is an article about the show, especially whether it should be renewed or cancelled, fine–post your complaints. But otherwise, let it go.

Comment by CJ – December 6, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right I totally agree.

Comment by Erika – January 20, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to finally see Rules back! hopefully it’s NOT the last season!

Comment by Jerm – December 6, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you guys know that Rules reruns are being shown now on both the CW and WGN??

Comment by Diane – December 6, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I noticed that and thought it was a bit odd, as ROH hsn’t hit 100 yet. They definitely will, though, with 88 filmed and this new 13th season. I know many don’t like ROH, but I find it amusing. Slightly inconsistent, but that’s to be expected when you’re on the air, off the air, on one night, then another, etc. Oliver Hudson’s character has gotten so dumb in the last two seasons I can only imaging he’s eating lead paint chips. Still an OK show, that could have been a good if not great show if CBS had left it alone to grow throughout normal seasons. Acting is top notch.

Comment by Allen (@StillCrazy808) – December 7, 2012 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They aren’t being shown on The CW–just on those stations in syndicated reruns. Where I live, they’re on a sister station that belongs to the local CBS affiliate.

Comment by CJ – December 7, 2012 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back Rules of Engagement! Without a doubt one of the best and most underrated shows on TV! Great cast, funny stories, can’t wait.

Comment by Sam – December 6, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • rules of engagement is the only good american sitcom to come out in years. the characters are funny they work well together on the show which is important for a sitcom and the characters also have good personalities. P.S get rid of H.I.M.Y.M because its not funny and get rid of big bang theory the actors arent even trying to be funny in the show and surprised its lasted this long

Comment by Chris Doherty – December 7, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI:NY is wrapping in Feb. Will it be returning for a tenth season?

Comment by Lindsey – December 6, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope so! Who knows…they probably won’t announce renewals / cancellations until they unveil the Fall season (usually in May I think)

Comment by Robin – December 6, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let CSI:NY go. Great cast but the storytelling and plots are so boring of late. MIAMI was the franchise that should have received one more year.

Comment by Iakovos – December 6, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No way should CSI Miami be kept on. David Caruso ruined the whole show by overacting to the max. Gary Sinese and CSI-NY has become THE CSI to watch. When CSI lost Marg and added Ted Danson, that show was ruined too!

Comment by Linda Williams – December 6, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I love CSI NY, The actors are great and I like the story lines.

Comment by Norma Werts – December 6, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree bring back CSI Miami, it was cut off with out an end. CSI: NY has run it’s course. Over and done.

Comment by gvela – December 6, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doubtful, unfortunately. It was always my favourite of the CSIs, but CBS always need to dump 3/4 of their worst-performing shows for new series. Blue Bloods gets more viewers, The Good Wife gets critical acclaim, and The Mentalist is younger and therefore less expensive to produce. I wouldn’t expect Vegas or CSI NY to survive past this year, unless they have a spectacularly bad pilot season!

Comment by Dizzle – December 6, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except that CSI:NY has a following on Fridays. Both The Mentalist AND TGW have been getting about the same Friday ratings on a Sunday. That speaks volumes and makes a difference. Also, The Mentalist is not owned by CBS, but by WB. That counts too. CBS doesn’t care that much about the critics, when they don’t have a syndication deals for The Good Wife, when they have for the other two. Unless they do find one, critics aren’t making them 2 millions per reruns. That’s a HUGE dealbreaker.

What I feel they ARE saying here is: The Golden Boy fails, CSI:NY comes back. They have a safe haven for their Friday at 9pm. A loyal following that will come back and a perfect paiting for Blue Bloods. So, CSI:NY returning depends upon that.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – December 6, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree that the critics mean less to CBS (and all networks) than ratings and syndication profits. In the case of The Good Wife however, the show is so far and away the finest hour of network drama that they would not think of cancelling it prematurely. It is still number one in total network viewers in the highly competitive 9/8central Sunday slot. CBS is proud of this show and all of its acclaim. It like all other serialzed dramas do not repeat well. Procedurals with a defined ending to each hour get the syndication money. I look for The Good Wife to easliy go for another two to three years.

Comment by Dee – December 6, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope it returns, it is the only one of the 3 that I have watched for a few years now and when it was down to it or Miami being cancelled I was happy it was Miami, I really want another season of CSI NY.
      I will be watcing Golden boy because it is taking the place of CSI NY and alos Kevin Alejandro is in it! (Yes I know it does not say that here BUT when the new show info came out in the summer I read about all the new possible shows and added it to my list just because of him.

Comment by sarah – December 6, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show was only renewed for a partially-full season (18 episodes, I think) so it was always going to either end the season early or take a break in the middle. It doesn’t mean a definite cancellation, but since the call was so close last season, and the ratings have slipped a little this season, a renewal certainly isn’t likely.

Comment by CJ – December 6, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love rules of engagement !! finally, it’s back !! can’t believe all the crap this show takes when it’s one of CBS’s best out there…it should be paired up with the big bang theory !

Comment by Jo – December 6, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is CSI:NY ending its run? I love the show = its GREAT CAST & STORIES,!!! I know many OTHERS WHO LOVE IT TOO, and ALL do not want to see it close. Can’t something be done?????

Comment by S.Puffer – December 6, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well said, I agree, I don’t want to see this show end ….why does it have to be cut short this season?

Comment by S. Huntley – December 6, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayy!! I love Rules of Engagement. Poo poo on the critics, I know they all hate it, but it much funnier than most of the sitcoms on these days.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 6, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So that means CBS has TWO shows about NYC Police Commissioners? At the same time?

Comment by Bob Kahan – December 6, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many shows about a NYC police commissioner does CBS need? And two on the same night back to back no less?

Comment by Beth – December 6, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clarification: GOLDEN BOY is not about the character as police commissioner, but his career path ultimately leading to that (told in flashback) — “How I Met the Job of Police Commissioner.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 6, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not planning to watch Golden Boy because of poor premise & wrong network. If it was on dif network? Then I would watch it. CBS est. Strong show about police comm (Blue Bloods) then tries to undercut it with 2nd show? My guess is Blue Bloods is becoming expensive, it’s renewal contract time & they hope Tom S or some of the other actors walk so they can cancel & write it off. Just wait & see.

Comment by peggy2013sue – January 27, 2013 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY Rules is back! Such a funny show.

Comment by Kristina – December 6, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You say it is a finale. does that mean that the show is completely over??? I hope not. The show is certainly worth saving.

Comment by Toni – December 6, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Friend Me?

Comment by Pickles – December 6, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Friend Me is still ‘on the shelf’ – I think CBS may be holding it back waiting to see how Rules does at 8:30 on Mondays. My guess is ‘Friend Me’ [which has a short order of episodes] will probably be placed either in the 8:30/Monday slot or the 9:30/Monday slot later this season/spring, depending upon ratings for Rules.

If Rules is going gang-busters, then rather than run re-runs of Mike/Molly leading into May, they may give Mike/Molly a breather in March or April and run Friend Me for a few weeks. Then bring Mike/Molly back in late April/May for season ending episodes during sweeps. If Rules is not doing well at 8:30/Monday, then Friend Me will be placed there – maybe sooner than later.

Either way, we’ll see Friend Me sometime before end of season in mid-May.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – December 6, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Creator or someone passed away and they don’t know what to do just yet.

Comment by Paulette Magruder Dunston – January 21, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, Why is CSI:N.Y. ending their season so soon? I LOVE this show! Does this mean there will not be another season?? Please reply? Thank you! :(

Comment by Grace – December 6, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just in case Matt is spread thin with other articles to publish today and can’t get back to you, I thought I’d give you my guess on future of CSI:NY. The show will definitely be in ‘contention’ for a Fall 2013 slot on the CBS schedule. The ratings are still good for a Friday night show (I’m a huge fan of Sela Ward, so I’m hoping it comes back). However, a lot will depend upon how well ‘Golden Boy’ does in that Friday timeslot this spring, and what other options CBS has in March/April during pilot season, as well as how many holes CBS needs to fill for 2013-2014 schedule: CSI:Miami was canceled last year due to age of show/cost and no place to schedule, and a similar fate could fall to CSI:NY.

What might save CSI:NY? If Golden Boy does poorly “AND” another drama series on the schedule gets canceled, I think CSI:NY can make another season in 2013/14. Keep an eye on CSI – the show is the oldest in the franchise; will they come back for another season? If they don’t, I think CSI:NY will come back next fall, at least with a short order of 9-13 episodes.

Also, keep an eye on Vegas – a good show, but it attracts an ‘older audience’, and that might make it a prime candidate to move to Friday nights (9pm?) next season. If they go that route, CSI:NY is probably in trouble. If they elect to not renew Vegas (due to production costs, etc or give it a short order – similar to what happened to ‘Unforgettable’ last season), then CSI:NY would have a path to renewal – a really good path.

Golden Boy – CSI – Vegas. I think the fate of those three will determine the fate of CSI:NY.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – December 6, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CSI:NY was only renewed for a short season this year (I think it was 18 episodes). Which means it was always planned to either end early or take a break in the middle.

Comment by CJ – December 6, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Sara Rue is on Malibu, is the baby going to be born off-screen and just show up with Audrey, or will Sara be popping back in.

Comment by Dee – December 6, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a series running 7 seasons I would hardly call Rules of Engagement underrated.

Comment by Jared – December 6, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve been taking crap for seven years… only once getting an entire season pick up, some seasons only had 7 episodes. It’s crazy…. that show deserves better than that, which is why some people say it’s underrated. CBS has some explaining to do when it comes to that show..

Comment by Jo – December 6, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does the fact that Vegas will take a short break mean anything? I think I read here that it’s getting 21 episodes, instead of 22…that didn’t sound like something they’d do for a show they have confidence in at that time slot.

Comment by Ryan – December 6, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Theo James, love him. He was the only reason I watched Bedlam. I’mdefintely interested in Golden Boy.

Comment by Kristal Vazquez – December 6, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually interested in Golden Boy, I’ll give it a shot, and Friday could be a good spot for it.

Comment by Mike – December 6, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Another cop show! It’s so brave of CBS to fill the void in that particular market niche!

Comment by Dan – December 6, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about POI?

Comment by Katarzyna Rutkowska – December 6, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS is keeping the Thursday lineup through the entire season. It’s a success the way it is, so no need to change it.

Comment by Lambsilencer – December 6, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says CBS is the final broadcaster to unveil its mid-season plans, but I only recall seeing news on ABC. Are there plans on a more comprehensive article highlighting all the networks plans for new shows and return dates for old?

Comment by EdTV – December 6, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Love Rules of Engagement!!! It deserves more time!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jo – December 6, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they waiting so long to plug in Rules of Engagement? They keep treating that show like the red-headed stepchild. Ridiculous. Give it a full season order like it deserves.

Comment by Ronon Dex – December 6, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Downton Abbey‘s Theo James” – does an appearance in one episode give him the right to this description?

Comment by cuius – December 6, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for bringing Rules… back! Great show!

Comment by Stevo – January 9, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for bringing Rules of Engagement back. I don’t get why this show doesn’t get treated with the respect it deserves. May another network should pick it up.

Comment by Rami – January 13, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friend Me creator or someone important to the show passed away:(

Comment by Paulette Magruder Dunston – January 21, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not watched any ABC or NBC shows in a very long time but I will watch CBS shows (most of them, not all). I happen to like scripted shows when they’re well-done. I used to watch Survivor and Dancing With the Stars (about as much “reality” as I could stand but when they started rehashing previous contestants, I stopped.
    I like Rules of Engagement; I really don’t like David Spade (I really never had) but if it wasn’t for “Timmy” who makes David’s character more bearable, I’d be channel surfing until Patrick Warburton came back on.

Comment by peggy2013sue – January 27, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching CSI:Miami when I saw the preview for the “Dynasty Moldova – Lab Massacre” cliff hanger. Is this the same end for CSI:New York; a shootout ala Fort Apace The Bronx?

Go out while you still have dignity.

Comment by Keen Observer – February 22, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post