Revenge Exclusive: 'Iconic' TV Actress Circling Role of Nolan's Mother

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Revenge Season 2 Spoilers Nolan MotherMom’s the word on Season 2 of Revenge, what with both Emily and Victoria “reuniting” with their respective mothers on the ABC soap this fall. Might Nolan be the next Hampton-ite to come face-to-face with his maker? The character’s portrayer, Gabriel Mann, certainly hopes so. In fact, he’s already taken the liberty of jumpstarting the casting process!

RELATED | Scoop on Revenge‘s ‘Unapologetic’ Bisexual Love Triangle

“I don’t want to jinx it, [but] I had an actress — one of my favorite actresses on one of the most amazing shows that is no longer on the air, but I would say is quite iconic — approach me at a party about her love of [Revenge],” Mann recalls to TVLine. “[She] said that since we’re doing all sorts of mama drama in Season 2 here, why don’t we meet Nolan’s mom?

“There was an unofficial Kim Basinger-like verbal agreement that she would be interested in signing up,” he adds. “So, I’m hoping that happens.”

RELATED | Revenge‘s Madeleine Stowe on Rising Death Toll and the Initiative’s Big Plan

One hurdle appears to have already been cleared: Mann received an informal sign-off from series creator Mike Kelley. “He clapped his hands together and got that twisted little Nolan smile on his face,” says the actor of his boss’ reaction to the news. “So, I’m hoping that was a yes.”

Whomever ends up scoring the plum part, Mann predicts that the MIA Ms. Ross will be “quite interesting If she has even half of Nolan’s qualities,” adding, “I would be really interested to see where he came from.”

OK, put on your thinking caps and hit the comments with an answer to this question: Which actress do you think Mann is referring to? Also, who would your first choice be? (Reporting by Megan Masters)

Comments (109)

• Susan Lucci

Comment by Julliana (@Turnedsideways) – December 6, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought too! She would be perfect!

Comment by Amy – December 6, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Ladd or Jean Smart

Comment by Dave – December 6, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like either of these choices.

Comment by MJ – December 6, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Donna Mills

Comment by Liz – December 6, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Donna Mills was the first person I thought of and she would be perfect!

Comment by elr – December 6, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I third the motion for Donna Mills. First name I thought of upon reading the article. She’s still great-looking and has appeared on both Dirty Sexy Money and GCB in the past few years on ABC, so I think she’d be up for it, like her former Knots Landing co-star who played Conrad’s father last season. I say bring her on!

I’d be perfectly fine with Judith Light, Candice Bergen or Cybill Shepherd too.

Comment by whisperintherain – December 6, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Judith Light, Candice Bergen or Cybill Shepherd” all awesome choices!

Comment by MarryAnne – December 6, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. That would be the most amazing casting choice ever.

Comment by Rita – December 6, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Susan Lucci would be, I mean.

Comment by Rita – December 6, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Susan Lucci was annoying at best on One Life to Live, Revenge being my favorite ever show
      would turn less than less favorite with the phony Miss Susan on it. Would hate it, anyone else please.

Comment by S. Lee – December 8, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Obviously you don’t have a clue who Susan Lucci is. She never appeared on One Life to Live but did Star on All My Children for 40 years. I love her but not as Nolan’s mother and Donna Mills is too old IMO

Comment by David – January 1, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was raised by the Aunt I thought? I was under the impression that his parents were dead.

Comment by Kelly – December 6, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • His father is dead. His aunt did practically raise him. It’s possible we’ll see his mother in a flashback or maybe she isn’t dead, but she wasn’t in Nolan’s life growing up.

Comment by iMember – December 6, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did too. Where did we get that idea?

Comment by mitzermoo – January 30, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heather Locklear

Comment by Kevin – December 6, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s too young to play Nolan’s mother but she would be perfect as the first Mrs. Grayson! Can you imagine her belittling Victoria? I think I just came!

Comment by Jinjeon – December 6, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Heather Locklear is around the same as Madeline Stowe. Of course she’s old enough to play Nolan’s mom.

Comment by Elaine – December 6, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gabriel Mann is 40. Heather Locklear is 51.

Comment by Ken – December 6, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Right….but he doesn’t play a 40 year old. I’ve always assumed he was around 30.

Comment by Lisa – December 6, 2012 05:38 PM PDT
          • To be fair, when Phylicia Rashad was only eight or ten years older than Sabrina Le Beauf when they played Claire and Sondra Huxtable on the Cosby Show, and they made it work pretty seamlessly, so it’s not as though Locklear is out of the realm of casting choices.

I don’t think it’s her, though.

I would love for it to be Lynda Carter, but I don’t think it is.

Comment by Summer – December 6, 2012 07:06 PM PDT
        • I thnk Jacquline Smith would be perfect as the first Mrs. Grayson.

Comment by mitzermoo – January 30, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i LOVE Heather. She would be PERFECT for this, and I hope she’s the one he is referring to!

Comment by Andrew – December 6, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Pfeiffer or Kim Bassinger

Comment by BenM – December 6, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah I actually thought of Michelle Pfieffer first too…that would be interesting

Comment by Merissa – December 6, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary-Louise Parker!

Comment by Timmy Bauer – December 6, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would actually be pretty funny because of Emily’s mom.

Comment by kavyn – December 6, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim is an SUPERB choice. Hope it happens.

Comment by Dennis – December 6, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She would be great but I don’t think she’s who he was talking about. He said it was a well-known actress from an iconic show that isn’t on anymore. I don’t remember Kim Basinger doing much television.

Comment by dude – December 6, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My guess would be Felicity Huffman

Comment by WhoWantsARabbit – December 6, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • that would be awesome. i miss her.

Comment by LovesGoldfish – December 6, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love Judith Light!

Comment by Rebecca Parker – December 6, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She would be great. I would totally buy that mother/son relationship and she’s sooooo good at soapy bitchery.

Comment by Nicole – December 6, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Judith would be perfect!

Comment by Elaine – December 6, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was great on Ugly Betty. I could see her as Nolan’s mom, perhaps!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – December 6, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edie Falco

Comment by Drew – December 6, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith Baxter (Birney)… iconic and perfect!

Comment by msmlansky – December 6, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll go for that…she’s great in every role.

Comment by Jason – December 6, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s got to be someone very unique. Emily’s mother I give a C- to. Victoria’s a solid B. I can’t think of anyone who I can visualize as Nolan’s mom.

Comment by J – December 6, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jennifer Jason Leigh was a great choice the execution was just horrible.

Comment by dude – December 6, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Urgh, she was horrible !! I hope they write her off completely!

Comment by JO – December 6, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree about the execution–jennifer really didn’t have much to work with. adrienne got to shine more in her one episode then jennifer in multiple ones.

Comment by Tim – December 6, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s blond so presumably the actress would match (blond Jennifer Jason Leigh playing blond Emily VanCamp’s mother, brunette Adrienne Barbeau playing brunette Madeleine Stowe’s mother). Heather Locklear might fit except he said the show she was on was “amazing” and I don’t think anyone honestly considers Melrose Place to be “amazing”. It was a fun show. But not amazing. Maybe the actress was on some HBO or Showtime show. Kim Cattrall?

Comment by Luke Nutley – December 6, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • KIM CATRALL!???!!! Yes!

Comment by H-Bomb – December 6, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MP wasn’t amazing, but I want Heather to get this. She’s iconic for sure, at least for me.

Comment by Andrew – December 6, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And of course, if it is Heather Locklear, GM could have been referring to TJ Hooker or Dynasty, both of which could easily be considered iconic by someone in their early 40s. I know I consider both of them iconic.

Comment by GeekGirl13 – December 7, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a native Long Islander and Hampton-ite- Susan Lucci would be PERFECT

Comment by Cathy Bristoll McGowan – December 6, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure Susan Lucci would be great and she is iconic and her show is off tv BUT isn’t she already doing Deadly Affairs and Devious Maids???? Still if the role was recurring maybe those networks would let her play the part for extra attention. And Locklear isn’t too young – she’s 50 plus I think; Lucci actually maybe a bit old but she can play much younger.

Comment by Skater Boy – December 6, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Felicity Huffman me thinks

Comment by WhoWantsARabbit – December 6, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lindsay Lohan FTW! Seriously, she looks the part, age and looks.

Comment by Jinjeon – December 6, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kyra Sedgwick

Comment by suzi – December 6, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS IS EVERYTHING!

Comment by Chance – December 6, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love Marcia Cross.

Comment by Skeff – December 6, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LENA OLIN!

Comment by ds – December 6, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s awesome at mysterious drama momma. She’d be great.

Comment by Syd – December 6, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sally Field would be great

Comment by Pam – December 6, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this was my first thought

Comment by EveatEden – December 6, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sally Field was my first thought, too. The iconic show being Brothers & Sisters… which is no longer on the air. Plus, we’d have a mini-reunion with Field and VanCamp. :))

Comment by SJ – December 8, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cybill Shepherd.

Comment by Steven – December 6, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roseanne!

Comment by Rocky – December 6, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cybill Shepherd.

Comment by Dominique – December 6, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was Linda Evans.

Comment by Gwen – December 6, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dakota Fanning… Idiocy must be complete.

Comment by David Torne – December 6, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice Bergen or Jean Smart.

Comment by Chris – December 6, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Morgan Fairchild or Candace Bergen.

Comment by SoFla – December 6, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent suggestions!!

Comment by KCC – December 6, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim Cattrall would be PERFECT for this role! I can already picture her character clashing with Victoria.

Comment by WillIam – December 6, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marica Cross

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – December 6, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marcia Cross was my immediate thought. And wish.

Comment by Jodi – December 6, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well let’s stop and think which shows were iconic. I would say Dallas, Dynasty, Melrose Place, Desperate Housewives. Linda Gray would be perfect, but she’s working on the new Dallas. So I believe the people above could be correct with their guesses of Linda Evans, Donna Mills, Heather Locklear – or one of the older Desperate Housewives.

Comment by Layne – December 6, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sex and the City is definitely iconic.

Comment by H-Bomb – December 6, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was also thinking it might be Linda Evans. She has the ruthless roots of the nightime soap and has been MIA forever. She also is likely capable of going toe-to-toe with Victoria easily.

Comment by C.A. – December 7, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barbara Striesand. She says she loves this show and she is as odd as Nolan and could totally create a crazy mama.

Comment by Pearl – December 6, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oprah Winfrey.

Comment by Geo – December 6, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well at least this one made me laugh!!!

Comment by carolinagirl – December 6, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jane Seymour

Comment by Karen – December 6, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like this suggestion! Jane Seymour would be a great choice!

Comment by carolinagirl – December 6, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should be beautiful.

Comment by Alina G – December 6, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let the games begin! My first thought was Jaclyn Smith … but Donna Mills, Sally Field, Jean Smart … any of’em would be awesome.

Comment by Dave – December 6, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lindsay Wagner

Comment by Dee – December 6, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith Baxter.you know, from Family Ties.

Comment by Daniel – December 6, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kyra Sedgwick or Kim Catrall … either actress would be a perfect addition to Revenge. And while I am wishing, could Nashville please add Kassie DePaiva to the cast? Pretty please?!?

Comment by Tracy – December 6, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to go completely old school on this and say Barbara Eden. She might have had him later in life:)

Comment by LM – December 6, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s adorable. I would love to meet his mother on the show. She needs to be as strong and devious as the other female characters. Many of the above suggested actresses could portray her, My vote is for Jean Smart.

Comment by Lynne – December 6, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shelley Long or Dyan Cannon

Comment by jm – December 6, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shelly Long was my first thought, but actually, Dyan Cannon makes much more sense.

Comment by CaptainOats – December 6, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Donna mills or Nicolette Sheridan or both as mother and aunt. Jeff. Infer Jason Leigh was a horrible choice. Bridget Fonda would have been so much better.

Comment by Christian – December 6, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how Joan Collins and Linda Evans haven’t gotten in on this yet, so I’ll put their names in the hat!

Comment by Luis – December 6, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it will have to be a tall, statuesque, beautiful woman with a sultry voice. like mother, like son. <3

Comment by snarka – December 6, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Olivia Newton-John?

Comment by Bearoness – December 6, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After seeing her performance in Sordid Lives and A Few Best Men, I believe people would be shocked how rowdy she could be. She certainly is iconic, but not in TV.

Comment by Chicago Dan – December 6, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Betty White?

Comment by Sam – December 6, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now, this one makes me laugh.

Comment by Lorral – December 6, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post